Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish buildings that were used for military purposes

Options
  • 24-10-2010 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hi there.

I wish to do a photography project on Irish buildings that were used for military purposes at some point in history.

I was wondering if I could get some help in here of compiling a list of such buildings. For the project I'd need a minimum of thirty buildings.

Appreciate any help. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Ballincollig powder mills, sure you'll find pictures on internet..

Charles fort , Crosshaven...

Ireland is full of old military buildings from the Normans and the British..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Do you mean building actually designed for the military, buildings not designed for, but used for the military or just more obscure examples?
    In the first instance, places like Collins' Barracks, Custume Barracks, The Curragh Camp etc.
    An example of a building not designed for military purposes but used as such include places like King House in Boyle, Co.Roscommon, a Georgian house used as a barracks (Connaught Rangers Barracks and later Irish Army Barracks).
    More obscure examples would include things like Martello Towers, pill boxes (machine gun emplacements) or earthen forts such as the Green Fort in Sligo (in use in the 17th century).
    Fort Dunree in Donegal would photograph well, as would the Napoleonic era fort at Shannonbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Well I've edited my title to buildings with 'military connections' for a little more leway as I wanted to include some castles which were sites of defence more than anything right? I'm thinking that if the castle was the site of a battle then it would count but it's something I'll need to speak to my lecturer about.

Basically for this project, I can't just pick random buildings I like and shoot them, there has to be a connection between them all and that's the difficult part. Feel free to throw any suggestions on that out. :D

Thanks for the building suggestions, I'll add them to my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Woodstock House in Inistioge, Co Kilkenny was occupied by the Black and Tans, and was subsequently burned by local rebels in 1922.

frontfacade.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Well I've edited my title to buildings with 'military connections' for a little more leway as I wanted to include some castles which were sites of defence more than anything right? I'm thinking that if the castle was the site of a battle then it would count but it's something I'll need to speak to my lecturer about.

Basically for this project, I can't just pick random buildings I like and shoot them, there has to be a connection between them all and that's the difficult part. Feel free to throw any suggestions on that out. :D

Thanks for the building suggestions, I'll add them to my list.

The GPO In Waterford City was occupied dureing the Civil War by the anti Treaty forces, Got wrecked when the Pro treaty side attacked Waterford from Ferrybank(the other side of the river. The Granville hotel was also an Outpost during that Battle.

If your looking for something a bit obscure:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Rotunda Concert Hall and Pillar Room (now the Gate Theatre).
    , taken over by armed men led by Liam O Flaherty in 1922. Raised a red flag above it for the unemployed etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I walked the Wicklow Way in early autumn and passed by a couple of the five massive former barracks erected by the British following the 1798 insurrection. They are really imposing buildings, clearly designed to intimidate the natives. One was in Glenmalure; the other was, until recent years, an An Óige hostel. I don't know where the other three are, but all five apparently are designed the same.

Edit: Just worked out how to embed one of my photos into a Boards.ie thread. I've thousands more photos of historical sites from all over Ireland (and Europe). This is the former British barracks in Glenmalure:
    Ftagraf0687.jpg?t=1288079919

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

il gatto wrote: »
    Do you mean building actually designed for the military, buildings not designed for, but used for the military or just more obscure examples?
    In the first instance, places like Collins' Barracks, Custume Barracks, The Curragh Camp etc.
    An example of a building not designed for military purposes but used as such include places like King House in Boyle, Co.Roscommon, a Georgian house used as a barracks (Connaught Rangers Barracks and later Irish Army Barracks).
    More obscure examples would include things like Martello Towers, pill boxes (machine gun emplacements) or earthen forts such as the Green Fort in Sligo (in use in the 17th century).
    Fort Dunree in Donegal would photograph well, as would the Napoleonic era fort at Shannonbridge.

Boyle abbey was used as a barracks/garrison after the dissoloution of the monestries and contains some graffiti of the period .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Thanks for all the replies, some of those suggestions are really beautiful structures. While looking up King House in Boyle, I found that in 2009 it hosted the Sixth Irish International UFO Conference. :D
    Lovely building though.

Really appreciate the help, any more places you think of please let me know. :)

Advertisement