Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why would someone taking a cat for a while be an issue and holey moley why would you even consider linking that to abortion??

You seem to be missing the point, repeatedly. It's not that "someone taking a cat for a while" is an issue - I, like many people often leave mine into boarding facilities if I am away etc, it's asking someone to take a cat for a number of years that I find strange.
    Why would it? My sister brought her cat down to a neighbour and all is grand. No issue at all. I'm confused how this would be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why would it? My sister brought her cat down to a neighbour and all is grand. No issue at all. I'm confused how this would be an issue.

I just think that if its going to be a "number of years" and assuming the person is an animal person (and why you would want someone other than an animal person looking after your cat is beyondme) they will become attached to said animal and vice versa - why would you then, after a couple of years, upset everyone by taking the cat back? Better to just re-home and be finsihed with it. Your sister was lucky to find a willing neighbour. Not everyone would be lucky enough to find someone so accommodating within their area (or, indeed at all - the very existance of this thread is to discuss the overwhelming amount of people who hate cats, is it not?)

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Not sure if its been said in the 43 pages so far but saw a short documentary that people don't connect with cats cause they don't have eyebrows, they can't make facial expressions so we see them as mono faced, or expressionless...

Eyebrows? :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not sure if its been said in the 43 pages so far but saw a short documentary that people don't connect with cats cause they don't have eyebrows, they can't make facial expressions so we see them as mono faced, or expressionless...
    Revolutionary new technology has solved this problem

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I just think that if its going to be a "number of years" and assuming the person is an animal person (and why you would want someone other than an animal person looking after your cat is beyondme) they will become attached to said animal and vice versa - why would you then, after a couple of years, upset everyone by taking the cat back? Better to just re-home and be finsihed with it. Your sister was lucky to find a willing neighbour. Not everyone would be lucky enough to find someone so accommodating within their area (or, indeed at all - the very existance of this thread is to discuss the overwhelming amount of people who hate cats, is it not?)
    It didn't take much effort on her part, two phone calls at most. Well, I'm sure if the neighbour is very attached then she'll be let keep it. I think my sister is more concerned with her baby than the cat tbh.

It didn't take much effort on her part, two phone calls at most. Well, I'm sure if the neighbour is very attached then she'll be let keep it. I think my sister is more concerned with her baby than the cat tbh.

She was lucky. The DSPCA recently had to stop taking in cats because they were completely saturated with unwanted cats and kittens.

Of course she's more concerned with her baby than the cat, who wouldnt be? But isn't this just another reason why the cat would be better off staying with the "new" owner indefinitely?

If someone asked me to mind their cat for "a few years" I'd tell them I could mind it for a maximum of a few weeks or months, but a few years? They would have to be giving full ownership, not just "ah sure we'll probably let ya keep it anyway" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,739 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm not so sure:P|)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/380043_483700128321475_843742508_n.jpg

She was lucky. The DSPCA recently had to stop taking in cats because they were completely saturated with unwanted cats and kittens.

Of course she's more concerned with her baby than the cat, who wouldnt be? But isn't this just another reason why the cat would be better off staying with the "new" owner indefinitely?

If someone asked me to mind their cat for "a few years" I'd tell them I could mind it for a maximum of a few weeks or months, but a few years? They would have to be giving full ownership, not just "ah sure we'll probably let ya keep it anyway" :(
    Well, that's grand too and we're back to my original point, baby's health more important than owning a cat. How you remove the cat from your house is up to yourself.

Well, that's grand too and we're back to my original point, baby's health more important than owning a cat. How you remove the cat from your house is up to yourself.

:D

• Advertisement

lol, I have a cat like that. he has the biggest, roundest eyes I've ever seen. He looks permanently surprised. *You should see him when he's actually surprised. Big fat fluffy cutie he is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

She was very lucky.
    We were recently found by an abandoned kitten (keeps happening, I suspect people dump them somewhere nearby, and they find their way to our place probably following our cats), but as we have 4 already now and they didn't take to the little tyke, we had to find a new home for her.
    It was very difficult is all I can say. The kitten was vaccinated, spayed and microchipped at our own cost, we didn't ask for any money back, but it still took weeks to find a new home for her.
    She left yesterday, and while I'm sure she'll have a good life, and we've only had her for those few weeks now, I was still crying.

Again, reading up on medical pages, baby's health would not have been in danger if reasonable precautions were taken, so getting rid of the cat seems a bit of an excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

That's a myth, it's all pregnant women and children coming into contact with cat poo.
    My sister is pregnant, owns two indoor cats and it's what her doctor told her.

It's not a myth. A doctor will tell a pregnant woman to practice caution just in case.
    Let me get this right, you're telling us that cat poo (as distinct from cats themselves) can make pregnant women, unborn children and born children blind? lolocaust

Toxoplasmosis. Caused by a parasite found in cat poo. It is indeed a thing. Teratogenic, I believe. But if a woman has been exposed to cats a fair bit prior to pregnancy, the risk of getting it is far lower, as her immune system will be somewhat adapted to it. It's generally not harmful to adults.

Shenshen wrote: »

Again, reading up on medical pages, baby's health would not have been in danger if reasonable precautions were taken, so getting rid of the cat seems a bit of an excuse.

I wouldn't take the chance, a small chance is too much IMO but then again I'm at the stage that if you told me shooting every cat in Ireland would help me get pregnant I'd do it and I like cats.
    Wanting a baby is what stopped me getting a cat or dog in the first place.
    We never had cats when younger and my sister has only had her indoor cat a little while so she probably was at risk.

I just couldn't take the chance, others might be more comfortable doing it but I couldn't. It's like that thing with pregnancy and drink, you could be fine and have a healthy baby and drink all around you or you could have one drink and it's fetal alcohol syndrome. Either way you're a fool for even taking the risk. I see having a cat the same as taking that one drink, an unnecessary risk.

Which reminds me here we have mink also. My mothers cat had its leg practically chewed off by a mink about two years ago :eek:

A mink got our family dog by the throat when I was a child. If we hadn't happened on the attack, our dog probably would have died. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

A mink decapitated all of our chickens in our old house. sounds kinda funny to read but it was horrendous. 20 decapitated chickens lifeless in the coup, blood everywhere. just killed them for the sake of killing them.

nasty little fecks

I wouldn't take the chance, a small chance is too much IMO but then again I'm at the stage that if you told me shooting every cat in Ireland would help me get pregnant I'd do it and I like cats.
    We never had cats when younger and my sister has only had her indoor cat a little while so she probably was at risk.

I just couldn't take the chance, others might be more comfortable doing it but I couldn't. It's like that thing with pregnancy and drink, you could be fine and have a healthy baby and drink all around you or you could have one drink and it's fetal alcohol syndrome. Either way you're a fool for even taking the risk. I see having a cat the same as taking that one drink, an unnecessary risk.

If she has an indoor cat that was not fed raw meat she wasn't at risk to begin with.

At least you're honest. It's the people who get animals and then turf them out when baby arrives that annoy me :mad: I dont have a problem with people making a decision not to get them in the first place - that's their choice.

I hope you are blessed with the child you want :) My parents waited ten years for me - Don't give up! :)

A mink decapitated all of our chickens in our old house. sounds kinda funny to read but it was horrendous. 20 decapitated chickens lifeless in the coup, blood everywhere. just killed them for the sake of killing them.

nasty little fecks
    Thats so awful :eek: Poor chickens

• Advertisement

Shenshen wrote: »
    If she has an indoor cat that was not fed raw meat she wasn't at risk to begin with.

I have no idea what she feeds her cat. It probably ate a few mice or swiped a bit off the floor or the bin for all we know. She can't watch the cat 24 hours a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Cats kill everything and for fun, nasty feckers. Should be open season on them just like Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

What really annoys me is when I say I like cats, people would be like, "I'm more of a dog person".

Well fair ****s, there are other animals. My sister is a rabbit person. My vet friends are into snakes and other reptiles.

Cat isn't a contrast to dog. A dog may be loyal, but they're needy as fúck!
    If you go off on holidays for a month, you can leave the cat to it's own devices. It may find another family, or it might hunt its own food. They look after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Cats kill everything and for fun, nasty feckers. Should be open season on them just like Australia.

So unlike humans. Let us know when your house has a rodent infestation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

My mother used to have a pond full of koi carp in the garden - she ended up having to get rid of all of them because our delightful cat-owning neighbours allowed their little darlings to "roam free like nature intended!" so her poor fish ended up getting repeatedly mauled or killed.
    We also had a family of bluetits nesting in a tree in the garden at the same time; super cute times watching the parents come and go feeding the babbies, until a pair of catladies moved in down the way with 6 stringy tabbies in tow - their cats used to sit and wait outside the nest all day trying to snag parents and fledging chicks until we started chasing them off continuously.

Thankfully their owners moved out within a year.

I have a dog and a parrot; neither of them are allowed to roam wherever they please, they both stay in the house/garden. Cats for some reason are allowed by the average irish cat-owner to roam wherever they like, day or night.

So I don't hate cats, I hate stupid, ignorant cat owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

my other half has a cat , does nothing but fooking moan , jesus such torture to the ears , you feed her she's still moaning , she's on your lap purring she dribbles on you , she goes to the back door and moans , you let her out , 5 mins later she's on the window ledge looking in moaning , you let her in and then after 5mins usual moaning.

if she's out when you go to bed your fcuking screwed , within an hour she's on your bedroom window ledge moaning to come in

you never own cats , they own you

that ladies and gentlemen is why i hate the fookers

plus bringing dead birds to the back door , or mice , they are so sly

i've 2 pet goldfish who are as good as gold , never moan , never dribble on me and always look surprised to see me :)

No, they do eat some of the animal they kill.

B0jangles wrote: »
    My mother used to have a pond full of koi carp in the garden - she ended up having to get rid of all of them because our delightful cat-owning neighbours allowed their little darlings to "roam free like nature intended!" so her poor fish ended up getting repeatedly mauled or killed.
    We also had a family of bluetits nesting in a tree in the garden at the same time; super cute times watching the parents come and go feeding the babbies, until a pair of catladies moved in down the way with 6 stringy tabbies in tow - their cats used to sit and wait outside the nest all day trying to snag parents and fledging chicks until we started chasing them off continuously.

Thankfully their owners moved out within a year.

I have a dog and a parrot; neither of them are allowed to roam wherever they please, they both stay in the house/garden. Cats for some reason are allowed by the average irish cat-owner to roam wherever they like, day or night.

So I don't hate cats, I hate stupid, ignorant cat owners.

Some cat love being indoors all the time, some don't. If someone takes in a kitten or cat from a shelter, that pet might not have been trained to be an indoor cat. If you keep a cat like this indoors at all times, it'll get distressed. It's not stupid or ignorant to let cats such as this outside.

And hate? Really?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Some of the attitudes here to harmless defenseless animals is nothing short of....SHOCKING!

My god, do you people hear yourselves?....Nicole was right to bring this thread back up, the pathological hatred of cats is very sickening!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

my other half has a cat , does nothing but fooking moan , jesus such torture to the ears , you feed her she's still moaning , she's on your lap purring she dribbles on you , she goes to the back door and moans , you let her out , 5 mins later she's on the window ledge looking in moaning , you let her in and then after 5mins usual moaning.

if she's out when you go to bed your fcuking screwed , within an hour she's on your bedroom window ledge moaning to come in

you never own cats , they own you

that ladies and gentlemen is why i hate the fookers

plus bringing dead birds to the back door , or mice , they are so sly

i've 2 pet goldfish who are as good as gold , never moan , never dribble on me and always look surprised to see me :)

:rolleyes: they are not fecking pets ffs!

Advertisement