Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Irish people are hardy bucks used to the tough life, while cats are domesticated animals who wouldn't survive in the wild if there wasn't humans, i think Irish people prefer dogs because their stronger and more content with amusing themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    If you go off on holidays for a month, you can leave the cat to it's own devices. It may find another family, or it might hunt its own food. They look after themselves.

Or it may starve, if you were my neighbour and did that I'd report you for neglect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Irish people are hardy bucks used to the tough life, while cats are domesticated animals who wouldn't survive in the wild if there wasn't humans, i think Irish people prefer dogs because their stronger and more content with amusing themselves.

Cats are great surviviors....if you stopped feeding them they'd move on to the next house, they are loyal...to a point, that point being don't stop feeding them!

They are territorial, the back garden is their hunting ground. They keep other animals like birds, rodents and even other cats away....they protect their own space.

They are very affectionate but are also highly independent....they love a god petting but they like there space as well. They do their own thing, and yeah they do sorta own their owners as you have to do things for them when they want it.

But there are numerous accounts and medical reports/studies that have shown cats are good for mental health, aid recover after illness....the children with cancer have been reported to go into full remission while having a cat.

They require alot of work but they give alot back :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/09/health-benefits-pets-respiratory-infection-healthier-kids_n_1659424.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Quorum wrote: »
    Some cat love being indoors all the time, some don't. If someone takes in a kitten or cat from a shelter, that pet might not have been trained to be an indoor cat. If you keep a cat like this indoors at all times, it'll get distressed. It's not stupid or ignorant to let cats such as this outside.

And hate? Really?

Yes really - you apparently read my post where I wrote about how my mother had to rehome her pets (fish) because our neighbours pets (cats) were attacking and killing them, and you respond with how the poor kitties might be distressed if they are not allowed to roam wherever they want?

I remember the day when she had to kill one of her own fish, a fish she'd had for 6 years, that would come over to be handfed at the side of the pond because she came home to find it dragged out by the side of the pond, still breathing but with half its side torn off by a furry little kitty,. She was in fúcking floods over it.

If I had a dog that kept breaking out of my garden and repeatedly attacked and killed my neighbours cats in their own gardens, they would, I think be perfectly entitled to demand the dog be controlled or even put down.

But cats? Cats have to be let do what they want and kill what they want, and anyone who objects is just a big old meanie apparently.

padi89 wrote: »
    Or it may starve, if you were my neighbour and did that I'd report you for neglect.

Tbf...i think the poster has a valid point, the cat would survive one way or another. A responsible onwer would have a neighbour put out cans of food. But if not the cat would find away to survive and the poster gave legit ways it would do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Cats are great surviviors....if you stopped feeding them they'd move on to the next house, they are loyal...to a point, that point being don't stop feeding them!

They are territorial, the back garden is their hunting ground. They keep other animals like birds, rodents and even other cats away....they protect their own space.

They are very affectionate but are also highly independent....they love a good petting but they like there space as well. They do their own thing, and yeah they do sorta own their owners as you have to do things for them when they want it.

But there are numerous accounts and medical reports/studies that have shown cats are good for mental health, aid recover after illness....the children with cancer have been reported to go into full remission while having a cat.

They require alot of work but they give alot back :)

Yeah i agree with some of your points maybe not the remission one but the fact is if humans were to disappear tomorrow cats have become so domesticated they wouldn't be able to fend off bigger animals in the wild like dogs and couldn't survive. The fact that they have a house to go to every night is what keeps them alive:)

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Yeah i agree with some of your points maybe not the remission one but the fact is if humans were to disappear tomorrow cats have become so domesticated they wouldn't be able to fend off bigger animals in the wild like dogs and couldn't survive. The fact that they have a house to go to every night is what keeps them alive:)

My cat used to sleep with the dog in his kennel....another misconception, dogs + cats can and DO get along! :)

http://mritechnicianschools.net/2010/17-health-benefits-of-owning-a-cat/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

My cat used to sleep with the dog in his kennel....another misconception, dogs + cats can and DO get along! :)
    friends with a cat? ugh.
    Dog was probably a bitch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Schism wrote: »
    Farms. Cats kill hens.

Also, I like cats.

There were always cats and dogs on my uncle's farm. The dogs were trained not to fcuk with the hens and the cats were smart enough to know that the hens were not wild, there for the taking, but were farm animals who produced eggs and were to be respected for their contribution.

The cats were well fed but they also teamed up with the dogs to keep the place free of mice, rats and even rabbits. My uncle is a big softy and refused to hurt any animal no matter how much of a pest. He would not lay traps, poison or have a .22 rifle so he just relied on nature to deal with potential threats to the animals or the crops. Cats/dogs dealt with vermin, rabbits and the odd kestrel who might try to grab a chicken. The lambs and calves were also protected from foxes by a fairly feisty billy goat and believe it or not a llama, haha.

later12 wrote: »
    friends with a cat? ugh.
    Dog was probably a bitch

Well the key was they grew up together, he was a pup and her a kitten....he was a jack russel, and an aggressive little fecker!, but the cat used to whap him on the nose if he got fresh and he knew not to mess with her! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

B0jangles wrote: »
    Yes really - you apparently read my post where I wrote about how my mother had to rehome her pets (fish) because our neighbours pets (cats) were attacking and killing them, and you respond with how the poor kitties might be distressed if they are not allowed to roam wherever they want?

I remember the day when she had to kill one of her own fish, a fish she'd had for 6 years, that would come over to be handfed at the side of the pond because she came home to find it dragged out by the side of the pond, still breathing but with half its side torn off by a furry little kitty,. She was in fúcking floods over it.

If I had a dog that kept breaking out of my garden and repeatedly attacked and killed my neighbours cats in their own gardens, they would, I think be perfectly entitled to demand the dog be controlled or even put down.

But cats? Cats have to be let do what they want and kill what they want, and anyone who objects is just a big old meanie apparently.

And hates people who let their cats out apparently...

And hates people who let their cats out apparently...

Because the cats are just cats doing what comes naturally.

Their owners are humans who (preumably) are aware that cats hunt and kill many small animals, including other people's pets but fail to do a single thing to control them.

Pet dogs sometimes "naturally" form packs and hunt sheep if they can, but we don't let them keep doing so. That's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Keeping free cats in at dusk and dawn and making sure they are well fed reduces their desire to hunt.

If I had a cat near a main road or out in the country I would keep it in the house/garden - otherwise I'd do the above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Pet dogs sometimes "naturally" form packs and hunt sheep if they can, but we don't let them keep doing so.
    I'd say the main reason is the cats prey selections don't hit anyone in the pocket. Sheep etc are money on the hoof, so farmers(naturally) get well pissed off. The impact on the environment doesn't tend to come into it. Even when cats do attack other pet animals like in your mum's example B, as we see it's considered "ahh sure they're hunters, what can you do". I saw an example of this when I was a kid. A mates neighbour had rabbits. Little fluffy things. Anyway this neighbourhood cat killed two of them. Again "ah sure what do you expect". I was thinking WTF?? If that had been a dog all hell woulda broken loose. Postscript to the story. The mate in question also had a rabbit. Effin Rambo rabbit. Huuuge male bugger(he used to feed him strips of bacon. I shít thee not). The same cat tried it on one afternoon by climbing into his run. The cat never climbed out... IT's quite amazing how much damage and aggressive and large rabbit can do. :eek:

Another aspect of this is aggression. If a cat scrapes or even bites a human it's obviously a bad thing, but usually responded to in terms of "well you were holding him/her wrong or he/she doesn't dig strangers etc but if a dog gets aggressive no matter what the provocation cue wails of handwringers calling for said dog to be put down, even if the dog doesn't actually do more than growl a "fcuk OOFFFF!". Dogs are expected to be completely docile no matter what, or even the size of the dog.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

Its the nine lives thing you can never get rid of them.

Tis true if you toss a cat from any height it wont die. The terminal velocity they reach is not enough to kill it. NOW that doesn't mean you can go and experiment on the moggies, I imagine you would hurt it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd say the main reason is the cats prey selections don't hit anyone in the pocket. Sheep etc are money on the hoof, so farmers(naturally) get well pissed off.

That's a key point, I agree. The fish that were killed were, beside being loved pets, large koi carp - the ones that were left were cautiously valued at between 90 - 150 euro if sold. I can just imagine the reaction we'd have gotten if we'd demanded the cat owners pay compensation for their pet's activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jesus, Bill Oddie has a lot to answer for.:mad: There seems to be a misconception that a dwindling bird population is the result of cats on a mass slaughter offensive. Bull crap, yes cats kill things and yes it is their nature to do so, however the main cause for birds dying is people. As for bloody ornamental fish ponds in the gardens of houses in housing estates what did you think would happen:confused:. The garden of a house in an estate is hardly a natural habitat for fish for goodness sake.

Every time that someone raises the issue of cruelty and neglect to cats in Ireland I see the same responses. On the one hand you'll get the silly answers from psychotics who think its fine to kill things because they don't like them or you'll get the people arguing that dogs are better than cats and they'll say that cats are evil, disloyal, etc, etc, etc.

I love cats, I love most animals, nobody is saying anyone has to love cats, but for Christ's sake nobody should be maiming or killing cats. If you have strays or ferals in your area and you don't want them around then have the decency to call a local animal rescue. If they can't help you then they will refer you to someone who can look after the cat.

Because the cats are just cats doing what comes naturally.

Their owners are humans who (preumably) are aware that cats hunt and kill many small animals, including other people's pets but fail to do a single thing to control them.

Pet dogs sometimes "naturally" form packs and hunt sheep if they can, but we don't let them keep doing so. That's the difference.

But hate, really?

Cat can be trained, I've done it, but by their nature would be more stubborn and less eager to please than dogs, so can't be trained as well.

As for bloody ornamental fish ponds in the gardens of houses in housing estates what did you think would happen:confused:. The garden of a house in an estate is hardly a natural habitat for fish for goodness sake.

It's a 15 x 8 x 3 foot pond in the private garden of a detached house not that it bloody matters - why should one person's ability to keep a pet be controlled by another person's unwillingess to control theirs?

But hate, really?

Yes really - I don't really care for selfish, ignorant people in general to be quite honest.

• Advertisement

Another aspect of this is aggression. If a cat scrapes or even bites a human it's obviously a bad thing, but usually responded to in terms of "well you were holding him/her wrong or he/she doesn't dig strangers etc but if a dog gets aggressive no matter what the provocation cue wails of handwringers calling for said dog to be put down, even if the dog doesn't actually do more than growl a "fcuk OOFFFF!". Dogs are expected to be completely docile no matter what, or even the size of the dog.

Cats are strong, if you've ever been kicked by one by its back legs, you'll know that. BUT a cat well never really hurt someone, never maul them. They mainly just attack you to get away and once they do, it's over. That can't be said for vicious dogs, and unfortunately other dogs do get lumped in with that because there is uncertainty about whether it'll happen again. Yes, they might be provoked, but the provocation might not have been witnessed and the provoker might not own up. So there's an unsettling doubt there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Cats, Dogs > Humans.

It's a 15 x 8 x 3 foot pond in the private garden of a detached house not that it bloody matters - why should one person's ability to keep a pet be controlled by another person's unwillingess to control theirs?

So having spent however much on the construction of the fish pond and the expense of the fish to stock it it with, it doesn't occur to people to invest in a cover for the pond? :confused:

My cats are insured and if my cats caused damage to any of my neighours property then I would pay for it. Are your fish insured or would the insurance company not pay out for expensive ornamental fish being left in an unsecured area. I wouldn't leave hundreds of euro worth of anything out in my garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

I owned a rabbit when I was young. My father made an outdoor enclosure for him but we often left him free in the garden as he loved running up and down the garden, always supervised except for one evening. We were about to put him to bed and heard a loud cry from the back garden. My rabbit had been attacked by a cat and died from shock overnight. Was it the cat's fault? No. It was mine. I should have ensured I didn't leave my rabbit so vulnerable to attack. Many years later and I own a cat. She is the most affectionate animal ever and would never survive if I just threw her out. Yes, cats will kill, but all animals catch and kill prey. Humans are the worst at killing animals and fish.

So having spent however much on the construction of the fish pond and the expense of the fish to stock it it with, it doesn't occur to people to invest in a cover for the pond? :confused:

My cats are insured and if my cats caused damage to any of my neighours property then I would pay for it. Are your fish insured or would the insurance company not pay out for expensive ornamental fish being left in an unsecured area. I wouldn't leave hundreds of euro worth of anything out in my garden.

We did put up covers, but you know, sometimes fish like to see a bit of sunshine/daylight. The area was secured to normal standards. Our neighbours however choose to allow their pet cats to roam freely thoughout the area at all times of the day and night.

I believe the onus should be on the cat owner to control their pet, not on everyone else to try to fend the little feckers off. Besides, I already said the monetary value of the fish was pretty much immaterial, I only brought it up to illustrate that the uncontrolled predatory behaviour permitted in many domestic cats in this country is apparantly acceptable to most because the creatures they are killing are small wild animals that are of no financial value to anyone.

If it mostly happened to animals with a high monetary value, you'd better believe that there'd be a NATIONAL call for domestic cats to be properly controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I'd say the main reason is the cats prey selections don't hit anyone in the pocket. Sheep etc are money on the hoof, so farmers(naturally) get well pissed off. The impact on the environment doesn't tend to come into it. Even when cats do attack other pet animals like in your mum's example B, as we see it's considered "ahh sure they're hunters, what can you do". I saw an example of this when I was a kid. A mates neighbour had rabbits. Little fluffy things. Anyway this neighbourhood cat killed two of them. Again "ah sure what do you expect". I was thinking WTF?? If that had been a dog all hell woulda broken loose. Postscript to the story. The mate in question also had a rabbit. Effin Rambo rabbit. Huuuge male bugger(he used to feed him strips of bacon. I shít thee not). The same cat tried it on one afternoon by climbing into his run. The cat never climbed out... IT's quite amazing how much damage and aggressive and large rabbit can do. :eek:

Most people would accept that dogs are domesticated fully. They are trusted to a much larger degree than other animals. Why? Because they are much like us...they live in social groups, are sociable animals, are highly intelligent. Tbh, dogs aren't thick-they're as well able to judge for themselves when they do something "wrong" as they live in society a well.

Cats are only captives...same as elephants or camels. And they don't have even a quarter of the brain power of a dog when it comes to sociability or anything.

I believe the onus should be on the cat owner to control their pet, not on everyone else to try to fend the little feckers off.

Well, it's not going to happen so find another solution.

Well, it's not going to happen so find another solution.

And this is why I really really dislike the average irish cat-owner - "My pet roams freely because I refuse to exercise any real control over its activities and as a result kills your pets? Tough shít!"

And we did find another solution - we rehomed the surviving fish as I already said. We gave up on our pets because other people were too selfish to control theirs.

I can understand that you'd be upset and angry about your fish being killed. I don't like it when my cats kill things. An aquaintance of mine kept koi carp in a pond in his garden and his cats didn't bother them, I remember him having some sort of mesh cover over the pond, which is why I asked if you had a cover on your pond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

Ah shure tis because 'twas de Brits and de Prodestents that brought cats to ireland. As such we can't be going around liking cats. Fúck them back to England Britain.

Especially Orange cats. Proddy little feckers.

Advertisement