Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Right...am highly annoyed. Not for the first time, some little w****** chasing after my cats, they were just lying in the front garden and sitting on the wall.
    My cats were kicked and hit with sticks :confused:

One day, I hope, one of my cats will scrape the face of one of them to teach them a viable lesson :mad:

Sorry about the rant, but it had to be said. Kids, 12 years of age approx. should have more sense, imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 plumbball

I remember years ago when a kid on bonfire night, some cutns stuck a rocket up the cats behind, it didn't kill the poor thing as it ran off squealing and I would imagine in agony.

I was only a kid and there was nothing I could do as the people who done it were older, but I never forgot the incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

plumbball wrote: »
    I remember years ago when a kid on bonfire night, some cutns stuck a rocket up the cats behind, it didn't kill the poor thing as it ran off squealing and I would imagine in agony.

I was only a kid and there was nothing I could do as the people who done it were older, but I never forgot the incident.

That is disgusting - I dread reading the horror stories you get around hallow'een about people doing things like this - you really wonder what kind of people they grow up into; I've read that that kind of behaviour is a big signaller for a budding sociopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm actually convinced that quiet country roads are far more dangerous for cats than busy roads or streets.
    The road in front of our house is fairly busy, and I've never seen any of our cats actually setting foot (paw?) outside the front gate. The noise and the hussle makes them stay away, they avoid it.
    A cat would have no reason to avoid a nice and quite road. And then one day it'll get run over by the pillock who comes belting down it at 60mph.

Never in my life seen a dead cat along our back roads but couldn't tell you how many kittens and cats that die along the towns main road. Depends on the area I guess but in my experience I've only ever seen dead cats along main roads.

Interesting. I've been reading into it a little bit now, I I'm sorry, but I have to assume that that particular doctor wasn't... shall we say, fully informed?

Toxoplasmosis is a parasite that humans can get into contact with through cat faeces, through handling or eating raw or undercooked meat, and through goats milk (so the ice cream would be safe, I apologise), as well as through blood transfusions.

Once a person was infected once, there will be no risk to any pregnancies or children. The danger lies exclusively in contracting the infection while pregnant. Most pages estimate that about half the human population have already been infected and are therefore perfectly safe.
    To find out if your sister was safe or not, all the doc would have needed to do was take a blood sample and have it checked. If she's had the cat for a while and the cat is allowed outdoors, chances are she's in the safe group anyway.
    In short, I suspect he was communicating out of his rectum there.

This! If people would do a bit of research like you have before freaking out it would help matters but they never do :/
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    At least you're honest. It's the people who get animals and then turf them out when baby arrives that annoy me :mad: I dont have a problem with people making a decision not to get them in the first place - that's their choice.

I hope you are blessed with the child you want :) My parents waited ten years for me - Don't give up! :)

That drives me crazy and quite frankly makes me sick. The amount of couples who get a precious little furrball (dog/cat) when they move into together only to get pregnant a year or two later and want rid of the pet. Surely they would have dicussed things on how to make it work with a pet and baby in the house? :confused:

As for the poster 'whatdoicare' well I really hope you get to have the baby you obviously really want. Can only speak for myself but if ever I get pregnant in the future I will not be getting rid of any pets but will of course take precautions with handling litter. Though at this stage I'm probably immune :pac:
    Well the key was they grew up together, he was a pup and her a kitten....he was a jack russel, and an aggressive little fecker!, but the cat used to whap him on the nose if he got fresh and he knew not to mess with her! :D

Not always the case. My lad a terrier was about 9 or 10 when I started taking in stray cats. At first he didn't like them but when he realised they weren't going anywhere he became best friends with them. Even my most hostile cat (when she thought nobody was watching) would rub up under his chin and cuddle up beside him :D
    B0jangles wrote: »
    It's a 15 x 8 x 3 foot pond in the private garden of a detached house not that it bloody matters - why should one person's ability to keep a pet be controlled by another person's unwillingess to control theirs?

Maybe your family didn't know but you can get special netting to put around your fence along the top which stops cats from getting in and also if you had cats of your own it stops them from getting out.

In an ideal world everyone would look after their pets in the proper way but they don't and they never will, so you have to take all and any steps to ensure the safety of your own.

ToniTuddle wrote: »

Maybe your family didn't know but you can get special netting to put around your fence along the top which stops cats from getting in and also if you had cats of your own it stops them from getting out.

In an ideal world everyone would look after their pets in the proper way but they don't and they never will, so you have to take all and any steps to ensure the safety of your own.

Thanks for the tip, but the fish are far away at this stage (they now live happily in an (artifical, no connection to rivers etc) lake in a rural golfcourse) :)

And yeah, I know that it's somewhat idealistic to expect the majority of people to be properly responsible for their pet's behavour, it's just galling to be told by others in this thread that I should just suck it up 'cos thats the way it is, without any acknowledgement that it is irresponsible and selfish on their part to fail to take any measures to control their cats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thanks for the tip, but the fish are far away at this stage (they now live happily in an (artifical, no connection to rivers etc) lake in a rural golfcourse) :)

And yeah, I know that it's somewhat idealistic to expect the majority of people to be properly responsible for their pet's behavour, it's just galling to be told by others in this thread that I should just suck it up 'cos thats the way it is, without any acknowledgement that it is irresponsible and selfish on their part to fail to take any measures to control their cats.

I have to say, this is not only the case with cats, this is just as true for dogs.
    We currently have an open driveway to the house, with no gate. We've applied for planning permission to change the front wall and add a gate, but these things take time.
    In the meantime, I've got to chase dogs out of our garden at least once a week. Most of the time, the owners are nowhere to be seen, while poochie happily terrifies the living daylight out of our cats. One of them is getting on a bit now, and I do worry that one day she might be too slow.
    Sometimes, the dog owners will stand just outside our driveway, leash in hand and gormless expression on the face, staring at me screaming and trying to get their dogs out of our garden. They never even attempt to cpntrol their dogs, they usually look at ME as if I'm out of my mind. When I tell them to ake their dog stop chasing my cats, I get told things like "Ah, sure, most of the time they don't even catch them".

I'm terrified of dogs, I was attacked by one as a child. I do feel like pushing those f*ckwit owners into heavy traffic.
    But I know it's wishful thinking to ask dog owners to control their animals. So once we get the planning permission, we'll spend a couple of grands for a decent wall and gate. If that means my cats get to live in peace, then it'll be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

My cat used to sleep with the dog in his kennel....another misconception, dogs + cats can and DO get along! :)

http://mritechnicianschools.net/2010/17-health-benefits-of-owning-a-cat/[/QUOTE

Yep, they get along while they are domesticated and getting fed every day, but sure enough if they were left alone for a week nature would take its course and the dog would probably win in its fight for survival, ive seen dogs killing sheep on the Curragh, could'nt really see a cat doing that:)

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Yeah and whats the story with The Cure and cats they love them:rolleyes:

Wow! What a cool, large place for them to be rehomed. Guess you can always drop by for a game and see them? :)

I understand your frustration but it's only with more education and awareness in a civil way will folks even begin to get it into their heads. People shout from both sides of the argument and then they both dig their heels in solving nothing. It takes time and casual hints here and there but eventually you can get through to folks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Red Hand wrote: »
    Most people would accept that dogs are domesticated fully. They are trusted to a much larger degree than other animals. Why? Because they are much like us...they live in social groups, are sociable animals, are highly intelligent. Tbh, dogs aren't thick-they're as well able to judge for themselves when they do something "wrong" as they live in society a well.
    Eh anthropomorphising much? Given enough humans have an issue with "right and wrong" that's your get out clause for dogs? Really? Don't think you've thought this one through.

Cats are only captives...same as elephants or camels. And they don't have even a quarter of the brain power of a dog when it comes to sociability or anything.
    Again an excuse. Cats have been domesticated for at least 8,000 years more like 9,000. They've been selectively bred for looks and temperament throughout that time. Try raising a Scottish wildcat and get back to me. Camels? 4,000 years. Elephants? Around the same, though they're incredibly clever so didn't require as much input to see the mutual benefit, at least in Asia.
    I can just imagine the reaction we'd have gotten if we'd demanded the cat owners pay compensation for their pet's activities.
    I would have. Damn straight.
    And this is why I really really dislike the average irish cat-owner - "My pet roams freely because I refuse to exercise any real control over its activities and as a result kills your pets? Tough shít!"
    +1. "ah sure it's their nature you know. Sooo independent" etc.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wow! What a cool, large place for them to be rehomed. Guess you can always drop by for a game and see them? :)

I understand your frustration but it's only with more education and awareness in a civil way will folks even begin to get it into their heads. People shout from both sides of the argument and then they both dig their heels in solving nothing. It takes time and casual hints here and there but eventually you can get through to folks!

Yeah, they are as happy as clams nowadays :D I don't play golf myself, but my mother (fish owner) plays there all the time and it is so goddam awesome when she comes home all breathless and excited when she hears another member has seen her fish and says they look healthy and happy.

And thanks for the understanding; I do get frustrated when people wheel out the "it's nature" argument - so many of the things we use and rules we follow are "unnatural", why should irresponsible cat (and dog)-owners, get a free ride I wonder?

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Nicole2012 wrote: »
    Those people in Ireland and elsewhere that hate cats must be very insecure, ignorant and psychologically disturbed people! They have no clue about cats and are dumb for just following everybody's behavior of hating cats without even knowing much about them. These cat haters are probably selfish and sneaky themselves and it makes them see themselves in cats. I pity those people and hope there is a hell for them for abusing cats! It's not the cat's fault that they are hunters. Other animals in nature hunt too. People hunt birds too if you don't like that cats hunt birds. Why should cats not be allowed to do the same. The world is for all humans and animals. That's where you can see just how this stupid cat haters are selfish. Poor ignorant people!

Another reason people hate cats is because they probably did not get enough love in their life and so they are not able to give love to a cat and just are dependent on getting love by a dog. That shows how cat haters are messed up in the head. They probably have poor relationships too!
    And for those idiots that think that picking cats by the tail is ok: Are you so dumb and stupid to not realize that if you were picked up by your tail you would cry and defend yourself too? Why should cats behave otherwise? Life will pay you back when somebody who is stronger than you will hit you too.These people were probably bullied as kids and are cowards deep inside and insecure that you have to measure up with a smaller animal to feel powerful-what loosers they are!

Additionally, cat haters must feel very inferior and that's why they can't stand another animal being smarter than they are and have to feel secure with a dog who won't challenge them intellectually.
    I think this is what really goes on with cat haters- they are big time Loosers!

Also cat lovers are probably angry people that have no jobs, are drunks and/ or take drugs and want to get off their frustration of on cats, which is dumb and just makes them look more weak themselves. You don't solve problems with abuse instead they should get off their asses and do something with their lives effectively instead of attacking harmless animals!

And for those ignorant who don't know about cats:
    Cats are great because they are clean, graceful, funny, can be loyal if you are loyal to them, can have a great personality, can be trained too and can learn words if you talk to them like dogs, won't scratch or damage things if you provide them with a scratching post, have self-respect (what cat haters don't have and are jealous at cats for it), kill many insects like flies and spiders and keep them away, are easy to take care and are low maintenance, can be quiet and are not hyperactive and tiring and loud like many dogs, and can be sensitive too and have feelings and can be different like many people are different too.

Not without reason did the Egypt culture worship cats and they were a great civilization who were powerful. The cat haters just put Ireland down and make them look like loosers and followers- so don't hate cats.Hating cats just make s you look stupid yourself.
    So next time you see a stray cat or somebody tells you to hate cats think about it and don't judge until you actually own one so you don't talk and behave ignorant !
    Oh sweet Jesus. I love cats but some people simply don't like them and it's highly doubtful they have those "probable" traits you list. As long as they don't hurt them or make up bullsh1t reasons as to why they don't like them, let them off. It's just a personal preference. There are a lot of cute creatures that I don't like - e.g. squirrels - and it's really not due to psychological reasons such as the ones you listed.

newmug wrote: »
    One morning, going to work, I open the back door and 4 fcukin young cats try to burst in. I managed to shoo 3 of them away, but one vile fcuker got in. He ran under the couch, up the curtains, across the table knocking a few things as he went, everywhere! I couldnt get him. Eventually he made a burst for the back door, back to the outside. My back door is glass nearly all the way to the bottom, he lambasted himself off it! I was fuming at this dirty cretin, so I picked him up by the tail to throw him out. While I was carrying him out, he was all "meow, meow", real nice and cute like, as if to say "i'm only a poor lickle kitty, pweeeeze let me go". I was just about to, when he revealed his true intentions, and started hissing and spitting and clawing at my leg. Well, I had reached my limit, and I drop-kicked the fcuker ala Ronan O'Gara. He spun through the air head over tail, probably saw Dublin from his altitude, and came down head first on a window-sill at the far end of the house. I felt bad for doing it the minute my foot made contact, but they're exactly the buttons cats press when they behave the way they do, and thats the consequences. Needless to say all 9 of his lives evaporated instantly. I felt bad afterwards, and I still do. Obviously, it was me and my mindset that was at fault, not the dumb animal. So OP, reading this, compare it to what you would have done and how you would have behaved. Maybe it will give you an insight into the thinking behind why people hate them so much.
    That's no way to treat one of gods creatures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

I hate cats but I'll admit they're handy for training a dog to foxes, they put up a savage fight for the size of them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Love kittens but any of the cats I've known have been lazy as ****. Don't hate them tho, plan on getting Bengal myself when I get settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I LOVE CATS!

TO ALL WHO HAVE THREATENED THEM IN THIS THREAD..I HATE YOU....:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

JD Green wrote: »
    I hate cats but I'll admit they're handy for training a dog to foxes, they put up a savage fight for the size of them.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I am angry with you.

Wibbs wrote: »

Again an excuse. Cats have been domesticated for at least 8,000 years more like 9,000. They've been selectively bred for looks and temperament throughout that time.

But isn't there something about how dogs have been domesticated for longer and cats not so much. Dogs had to be selectively bred for specific jobs while all cats were mostly used to just catch mice and rats on ships etc. Seeing as they did that job anyway they didn't need to be domesticated as such at the start anyway.

Think that was someones argument on why cats aren't as affectionate as dogs :pac:
    Yeah, they are as happy as clams nowadays :D I don't play golf myself, but my mother (fish owner) plays there all the time and it is so goddam awesome when she comes home all breathless and excited when she hears another member has seen her fish and says they look healthy and happy.

And thanks for the understanding; I do get frustrated when people wheel out the "it's nature" argument - so many of the things we use and rules we follow are "unnatural", why should irresponsible cat (and dog)-owners, get a free ride I wonder?

Ahh that's lovely for your mother! :D They shouldn't get a free ride but not all of them are bad some just really don't have a clue. Openly admit to making plenty of mistakes along the way until I started researching cats (and dogs) properly. Had a good heart but not a clue! A lot of people just rely on the advice that was pumped into them from a young age and don't even think to question it. That's why I'm not too harsh on folks as most just need the right information and a bit of guidance to be better owners.

Had to remind my Mother for months and months not to give milk to the cats and her response was always "well how did the cats survive years ago when all we gave them was bread and milk" :D Yeah they survived but you never saw what came out the other end and sure why wouldn't they want to drink it sure don't we drink stuff that's bad for us too :pac: Tell other people about the milk (among other things) but it's like it's hardwired into their brains to not believe me or surely I'm wrong because the cats love it soo much. Bit by bit I'll eventually get through :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I'll bet the ISPCA would love to have a little chat with you.

I hammered a pussy last night.
    Don't threaten to kill me please.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

She was very lucky.
    We were recently found by an abandoned kitten (keeps happening, I suspect people dump them somewhere nearby, and they find their way to our place probably following our cats), but as we have 4 already now and they didn't take to the little tyke, we had to find a new home for her.
    It was very difficult is all I can say. The kitten was vaccinated, spayed and microchipped at our own cost, we didn't ask for any money back, but it still took weeks to find a new home for her.
    She left yesterday, and while I'm sure she'll have a good life, and we've only had her for those few weeks now, I was still crying.

I wish there were more people like you!! I sometimes think we have a sign outside our house saying "MUGS LIVE HERE!!" because we always have strays wandering in. Wouldn't be without any of them though :)
    my other half has a cat , does nothing but fooking moan , jesus such torture to the ears , you feed her she's still moaning , she's on your lap purring she dribbles on you , she goes to the back door and moans , you let her out , 5 mins later she's on the window ledge looking in moaning , you let her in and then after 5mins usual moaning.

if she's out when you go to bed your fcuking screwed , within an hour she's on your bedroom window ledge moaning to come in

i've 2 pet goldfish who are as good as gold , never moan , never dribble on me and always look surprised to see me :)

Not nice to talk about your other half like that ;)
    My cat used to sleep with the dog in his kennel....another misconception, dogs + cats can and DO get along! :)

http://mritechnicianschools.net/2010/17-health-benefits-of-owning-a-cat/
    Well the key was they grew up together, he was a pup and her a kitten....he was a jack russel, and an aggressive little fecker!, but the cat used to whap him on the nose if he got fresh and he knew not to mess with her! :D

Yup same here. I have a little jacker (little napoleon she is) and she's great with the cats. Terrified of one of them :D
    Because the cats are just cats doing what comes naturally.

Their owners are humans who (preumably) are aware that cats hunt and kill many small animals, including other people's pets but fail to do a single thing to control them.

Pet dogs sometimes "naturally" form packs and hunt sheep if they can, but we don't let them keep doing so. That's the difference.

Agree. A lot of people think it's acceptable to allow their cats to roam indiscriminately. Do this with a dog and you'd hear about it quick enough. And in fact, dogs would have a stronger sense of "pack" than cats anyway.
    That is disgusting - I dread reading the horror stories you get around hallow'een about people doing things like this - you really wonder what kind of people they grow up into; I've read that that kind of behaviour is a big signaller for a budding sociopath.

They are some monsters out there alright. I saw two kn*ckers (and they were abou 16 they should have had more feckin sense) a few days ago throwing something at a cat. Dont know what it was but the poor thing ran off terrified. Of course you can't say anything, even looking at them earned me a mouthful of filthy abuse. I look at these guys and I think what a waste. Some poor woman gestated and gave birth to you. The state paid for your education and now you are getting your kicks from terrorising poor animals (not to mention walking around with your hand down the front of your tracksuit bottoms - drives me spare! :mad:) These people will never amount to anything, though some might "progress" to terrorising little children instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But isn't there something about how dogs have been domesticated for longer and cats not so much. Dogs had to be selectively bred for specific jobs while all cats were mostly used to just catch mice and rats on ships etc. Seeing as they did that job anyway they didn't need to be domesticated as such at the start anyway.
    Dogs weren't selectively breed in the way we know of it today as such up until the last 150 years. The strongest dogs that did the best work were guaranteed a ride but for the longest time dogs would have just breed with each other and we made do with what ever the results where.

The modern breeds are an abomination and a disgraceful abuse of the species.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Dogs weren't selectively breed in the way we know of it today as such up until the last 150 years. The strongest dogs that did the best work were guaranteed a ride but for the longest time dogs would have just breed with each other and we made do with what ever the results where.

The modern breeds are an abomination and a disgraceful abuse of the species.

I would have to disagree there... true, the current breeds are a very new development. But to assume that simply because there were no or few distinct breeds of dog beforehand humans were not selecting traits and breeding dogs that displayed them is a little superficial.
    As far as I know, humans have bred dogs, not so much for a particular fur colour or beautifully formed snout, but for strength as you pointed out, and for character.

Wolfs instinctively fear humans or show aggression, dogs don't. So something happened in the evolution of the dog (which only really started once humans domesticised wolves).

There was an article a while back in National Geographic about research that had been done on a silverfox farm in Russia.
    Researchers selected fox cups who dsiplayed little or no fear of humans when they first came into contact with them, and bred them. And as a check, they also bred cups who displayed fear and agression towards humans.
    The research has been running for just around 50 years now, and the researchers already have bred a sub-species of silverfox that behaves much the same as dogs do. They don't display any fear or agression towards humans from the start, and actively seek out their company. They are no longer wild animals, but tame.
    The cups that have been bred to show aggression and fear do so, to the point of being completely untameable, they cannot be made to get used to humans.

The interesting thing is that the researchers noticed that the tamer they bred the foxes, the more variations started to show up in their colouring... they now have black and which spotted foxes. They're currently investigating if there is a genetic link between those variations and a predisposition to like humans. Far-fetched, but who knows?

Based on this, I think that humans did indeed breed dogs to be more friendly and sociable. Probably at a much slower pace than those Russian scientists, but then they've had a few thousand years.

And that's where the difference to cats comes in : Cats are believed to have domesticated themselves. They were not actively taken in by humans, they just moved in and lived alongside for the most part of our history.
    If a kitten has not contact to humans, it will grow up feral - there is nothing in it's genetic makeup that will make it seek out human company. So while dogs tend to be tame from when they're born, each generation of cats needs to learn that humans can be friends. But since they've little problem learning that when they're still young, there's no need for humans to breed them more human-friendly. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

You need help:mad:

I'm an animal lover, growing up we had cats, dogs, guinea pigs, rabbits and a really clever hen called Stella along with sundry mice and the odd rat or two! Couldn't in all honesty be cruel to any animal and can't understand the mentality of folk who do!

Takes a real brave bad-ass to torture a much smaller creature that can't defend itself. Wonder would the same cuntts try to intimidate people who aren't such easy targets? I'm guessing not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Madam_X wrote: »
    Takes a real brave bad-ass to torture a much smaller creature that can't defend itself. Wonder would the same cuntts try to intimidate people who aren't such easy targets? I'm guessing not.

No, they won't. They rather run to their mothers, crying like babies :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I would have to disagree there... true, the current breeds are a very new development. But to assume that simply because there were no or few distinct breeds of dog beforehand humans were not selecting traits and breeding dogs that displayed them is a little superficial.
    As far as I know, humans have bred dogs, not so much for a particular fur colour or beautifully formed snout, but for strength as you pointed out, and for character.

Wolfs instinctively fear humans or show aggression, dogs don't. So something happened in the evolution of the dog (which only really started once humans domesticised wolves).
    Humans didn't domesticate wolves, wolves domesticated themselves for access to our food waste. I'm surprised you watched that documentary and missed that point.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Humans didn't domesticate wolves, wolves domesticated themselves for access to our food waste. I'm surprised you watched that documentary and missed that point.

Watched? I read it in National Geographic...
    And I somehow doubt that wolves consciously bred themselves into domesticated animals?

Advertisement