Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Lars1916 wrote: »
    No, they won't. They rather run to their mothers, crying like babies :mad:

It's usually a sign that they are being hen-pecked somewhere else. Only cowards need to inflict pain on small animals or children in order to validate their own worth.

I'll bet the ISPCA would love to have a little chat with you.

Not so sure. DSPCA are pretty much media whores. If there is a sniff of a camera they are all over it like a dog in heat (pardon the pun) but ring them with any query/emergency/request pertaining to animal welfare and I guarantee they will tell you its not their remit or they have no space.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    It's usually a sign that they are being hen-pecked somewhere else. Only cowards need to inflict pain on small animals or children in order to validate their own worth.

Which then leaves some responsibility to the parents and the schools. Kids have to learn to respect all creatures, even if they are smaller and weaker, or can't express their feelings and emotions through words.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Which then leaves some responsibility to the parents and the schools. Kids have to learn to respect all creatures, even if they are smaller and weaker, or can't express their feelings and emotions through words.
    True. I remember my parents putting it into me to be kind to animals. One of my first memories is my dad taking a spider from my room and putting it into an empty matchbox and asking me what he should do with it. I was 3-4 years old and being angry at the fright the spider had caused, I told him to put him in the fire! My dad sat me down and explained how the spider had don3 nothing wrong, that he was more afraid of me than I was of him and that he likely had a wife and kids (I was 3 lol) at home waiting for him.

We put him outside. Lesson learned. My dad simply made me think, rather than react or act mindlessly. We are not born with an inherent sense of right and wrong. Children learn what they live.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Shenshen wrote: »
    Watched? I read it in National Geographic...
    And I somehow doubt that wolves consciously bred themselves into domesticated animals?
    Obviously but the net effect was Wolves ended up domesticating themselves rather than humans turning them into dogs.

PBS did an excellent 3 hour long documentary on the history of dogs. Basically the theory goes that lone wolves that had no packs were scavenging human waste food. They had to overcome their fear of humans to get close to the food and through time tamed themselves to being around humans and humans eventually noticed the benefits of having these tame wolves around their settlements. Barking was the main advantage of having them around as back then an early warning system was a huge advantage to human tribes.

It wasn't a case of humans going out and kidnapping cub wolves, it's been shown that way won't produce dogs as humans just wouldn't have had the foresight to pick the right wolves and breed tameness into them.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    Obviously but the net effect was Wolves ended up domesticating themselves rather than humans turning them into dogs.

PBS did an excellent 3 hour long documentary on the history of dogs. Basically the theory goes that lone wolves that had no packs were scavenging human waste food. They had to overcome their fear of humans to get close to the food and through time tamed themselves to being around humans and humans eventually noticed the benefits of having these tame wolves around their settlements. Barking was the main advantage of having them around as back then an early warning system was a huge advantage to human tribes.

It wasn't a case of humans going out and kidnapping cub wolves, it's been shown that way won't produce dogs as humans just wouldn't have had the foresight to pick the right wolves and breed tameness into them.
    Just look at this cocky little coyote
    I pissed myself listening to the guys commentary, listen to the whole thing, but it does re-enforce your opinion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

B0jangles wrote: »
    Because the cats are just cats doing what comes naturally.

Their owners are humans who (preumably) are aware that cats hunt and kill many small animals, including other people's pets but fail to do a single thing to control them.

Pet dogs sometimes "naturally" form packs and hunt sheep if they can, but we don't let them keep doing so. That's the difference.

Ah bollocks.
    You're going to keep fish in a fcuking outdoor pond then you should expect they could be killed by other animals. Natural predators like kestrels, merlins and sparrowhawks could just as easily take one of the fish. You bitch about cats being allowed out. Isn't your mother letting her fish "out" rather than keeping them in an indoor aquarium?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Ah bollocks.
    You're going to keep fish in a fcuking outdoor pond then you should expect they could be killed by other animals. Natural predators like kestrels, merlins and sparrowhawks could just as easily take one of the fish. You bitch about cats being allowed out. Isn't your mother letting her fish "out" rather than keeping them in an indoor aquarium?

Wild animal predation is not the same as someone else's pet coming into our garden and killing our pets - why is this such a difficult concept for some people?

Your cat in your garden, our fish in our garden = no problem.

If we had started putting out traps to catch and kill cats in our garden in order protect our pets, we'd be seen as psychos by our neighbours, but if they are anything like you, then they see nothing at all wrong with tacitly allowing their pets to hunt and kill ours.

Also I have to laugh at the idea of keeping koi in an aquarium - you do realise they are pretty large fish that are always kept outside?

Why is is so unreasonable to expect that cat owners should behave responsibly, and with respect for those around them, like all other pet owners are expected to do?

Also read below for a different version of you "argument" but with different animals swiched in?
    Ah bollocks.
    You're going to keep sheep in a fcuking outdoor field then you should expect they could be killed by other animals. Natural predators like kestrels, merlins and sparrowhawks could just as easily take one of the sheep. You bitch about dogs being allowed out. Isn't your mother letting her sheep "out" rather than keeping them in an indoor shed?

You think many people would agree with you in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Why is is so unreasonable to expect that cat owners should behave responsibly, and with respect for those around them, like all other pet owners are expected to do?

Which owners would those be, then?
    The ones that let their dog roam and chase cats in other people's gardens?
    The ones letting horses graze on the green stripe down the middle of a dual carriageway?
    The ones keeping rabbits outsidein hutches and letting them freeze to death in winter?

I do agree that pet owners need to look after their pets, but to pretend that only cat owners act irresponsibly while everyone else is a saint looking after their pets is... well, dishonest.
    Personally, I've had a lot more problems with dogs not being supervised, having been attacked as a child, having to chase them out of my garden constantly, and having seen them running across a street in heavy traffic to attack other dogs.
    I do accept that there are plenty of people around not looking after their cats properly. But where pet ownership here is concerned, they mostly behave just like the rest really.

I'm sorry you're having such a problem with free-roaming dogs, especially with your nasty childhood experience, but I have to say in my own experience and that of most people I know, dogs coming into the garden are very very unusual - I can remember 1 instance in the last year.

I can easily spot 4 different cats hanging around the place in a single average day. I'm getting the sense from this thread that most cat owners let their cats out to roam the surrounding area as a matter of course - this is not true of most dog/horse/rabbit owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I can easily spot 4 different cats hanging around the place in a single average day. .

Looking for more fish?:D

Madam wrote: »
    Looking for more fish?:D

They'll have a long wait! All the fish moved out a long time ago; mostly the cats just hang around and crap in the flower beds then have screaming punchups in the hedges. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Plenty of cats have cat flaps to come in and out as they please. They are generally non-agressive creatures who like a bit of freedom but spend 18+ hours a day at home. Cats need exercise and unlike dogs, you can't put them on a lead and take them for a walk.

There are ways to keep cats out of your property if you want to, but unless you are someone who keeps outdoor fish, I really fail to see what the problem is...

Plenty of cats have cat flaps to come in and out as they please. They are generally non-agressive creatures who like a bit of freedom but spend 18+ hours a day at home. Cats need exercise and unlike dogs, you can't put them on a lead and take them for a walk.

There are ways to keep cats out of your property if you want to, but unless you are someone who keeps outdoor fish, I really fail to see what the problem is...

Because I don't want cats roaming around my garden crapping everywhere and hunting the garden birds?

Let me put it this way; if I have dogs who keep getting out of my garden and into other people's the onus is on me, the dog-owner to improve my fencing to prevent this happening. If I do not, my neighbours are perfectly entitled to complain to the authorities and to get something done about it.

Same expectation of horse owners , in fact of all commonly owned animals, even farm animals.

Cat owners, however, are not expected to take any measures at all to keep their pets in their own gardens. Somehow it is up to everyone else either to put up with it or spend their own money to keep someone else's animal off their property - why is this so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Because I don't want cats roaming around my garden crapping everywhere and hunting the garden birds?

Let me put it this way; if I have dogs who keep getting out of my garden and into other people's the onus is on me, the dog-owner to improve my fencing to prevent this happening. If I do not, my neighbours are perfectly entitled to complain to the authorities and to get something done about it.

Same expectation of horse owners , in fact of all commonly owned animals, even farm animals.

Cat owners, however, are not expected to take any measures at all to keep their pets in their own gardens. Somehow it is up to everyone else either to put up with it or spend their own money to keep someone else's animal off their property - why is this so?

Why don't' you run along to the euro shop and buy a little water pistol - use it a couple of times on the cat - they will get the message. Its very easy to sort out you know. It's not a big deal. :D

Cats are smart - this is why they are allowed out on their own. :D:D dogs on the other hand, well they have to led around by the nose leash.

Why don't' you run along to the euro shop and buy a little water pistol - use it a couple of times on the cat - they will get the message. Its very easy to sort out you know. It's not a big deal. :D

Cats are smart - this is why they are allowed out on their own. :D:D dogs on the other hand, well they have to led around by the nose leash.

Already tried that, it didn't work, plus as a general idea it's still putting the onus on me to control someone else's pet.

Also dogs are alot smarter than cats; cats just have a better stylist.

Because, as above, cats NEED exercise and cannot get it any other way. Farm animals live on a farm with room for this, dogs can be walked etc.

Cats also pose very little risk to humans, unlike other animals if they are let out alone.

I've had many different pets from when I was born til present day and this is the reality for cats. To deny an animal exercise is cruel. I think you will find most house trained cats don't generally go crapping in people's garden, more likely these are feral cats.

Already tried that, it didn't work, plus as a general idea it's still putting the onus on me to control someone else's pet.

Also dogs are alot smarter than cats; cats just have a better stylist.

it actually does work. I had to use it myself when there was a territory fight going on. Maybe the cats can sense your displeasure that they should trespass on your territory, so they meet up every morning to discuss how to annoy you for the day. They are smart you know.

Would you not get your dog to give them a rally? or do you value his eyes to much. :D:D

Because, as above, cats NEED exercise and cannot get it any other way. Farm animals live on a farm with room for this, dogs can be walked etc.

Cats also pose very little risk to humans, unlike other animals if they are let out alone.

I've had many different pets from when I was born til present day and this is the reality for cats. To deny an animal exercise is cruel. I think you will find most house trained cats don't generally go crapping in people's garden, more likely these are feral cats.

And yet the majority of cats in the US are indoor-only cats, they seem to be doing pretty well there, wouldn't you agree?
    Would you not get your dog to give them a rally? or do you value his eyes to much. :D:D

Or maybe I get myself a nice little .22 rifle and see if my aim's still decent! :D:D:D:D

(Yeah, don't find the jab about my dog being blinded too funny there...)

VVV Clearly not serious, ony put in as a response to the smily-bespattered suggestion that I risk my dog being blinded by my friendly neighbourhood cats.VVV

As an owner of both dogs and cats, I don't find jokes about shooting cats funny :confused:

• Advertisement

As an owner of both dogs and cats, I don't find jokes about shooting cats funny :confused:

well, if ya can't beat 'em, I guess ya gotta shoot 'em. :D:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Problem being it would be a near given my dog would kill a cat, my last one did sadly. Clearly a feral so not someones treasured pet thank god and it was damn near instant, still.. So letting my dog at them is not really a solution to the cats swanning around the garden stalking robins and such. Sure if I was some crosseyed cat hater, but I'm not.

I have found with my last dog that him marking the territory kept cats out for the most part. I found the old two litre soft drink bottle filled with water works quite well too, so that's worth a try. I've also some urban badgers nearby and they rummage around in my garden of a night. They seem to put the cats off at night. Ditto for the urban foxes.

TBH I don't mind cats in the garden too much as they'll likely get the mice that my dogs(or the foxes) don't and they're a nice animal to look at. I have to say I do get pissed off with them if I see them stalking small birds. I've a bird feeder so get lots of our feathered friends. When I didn't have a dog for a few months I had a few birds taken.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Wibbs wrote: »
    I found the old two litre soft drink bottle filled with water works quite well too, so that's worth a try

I always wondered why people did that. How on earth could that keep cats away?

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Scenario; Locked out of house, keys lying on couch.

Dog - Acknowledges your presence, barks in distress at your predicament, tries to bring you the keys or close enough so you can get them through the letterbox/slightly ajar window. Glad to see you when you get back in, shows affection.

Cat - Sleeping, opens one eye, notices your predicament, goes back to sleep. When you eventully get in by smashing in a window, goes towards fridge and starts meowwing in protest of not being fed for 30 minutes. Goes back to sleep.

Conclusion - Cats are evil cúnts, dogs, quite simply, are not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Why don't' you run along to the euro gun shop and buy a little water pistol 12-bore shotgun - use it a couple of times on the cat - they will get the message. Its very easy to sort out you know. It's not a big deal. :D

FYP just a little. :)

I had to scrape another load of noxious revolting cat sh1t off my son's runners today, which he trod on in my front garden.

If I knew for sure the address of the stinking cat's owner, I would quite happily post the filthy putrid mess back to them.

Lazy ignorant cat/dog owners are the ones that ought to be led around by the nose, and then have said nose shoved into their pet's faeces. Apparently that works for some pets, so it might have an educational effect on their owners as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

Does anyone know of any good songs about dogs? Thinking left of field/ not too simple..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭JD Green

I'll bet the ISPCA would love to have a little chat with you.

Why would they? I only let the dogs on cats on my own land which means there's nothing illegal about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Why is there such a pathological hatred of cats in Irish society?
    where does it come from?

I'm guessing Ireland perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I like Cats. I just went out and fed about ten of them. They gather at the back door every evening and I feed them. it's my act of charity and it excuses a multitude.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

at least you can teach a dog to do things.

but they're very intuitive and can seemingly tell when, and where somebody needs them without any tutoring. and duly will do

Advertisement