Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with an old laptop?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, so i've got an old Dell 6400 which is still running perfectly, but i don't really use it any more. My question is, what to do with it? Does anyone have any interesting ideas?

It's got 1.5Gb of RAM, it's currently running Windows 7 ultimate, and it has a 100Gb drive. I do have a 250Gb drive lying around that could be popped in it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

You can convert towers to CCTV recorders fairly handy. Dunno about laptops.
    What I'd do is have it plugged into the tele full time to watch sports etc on P2P

http://www.myp2p.eu/broadcast.php?matchid=91858&part=sports

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well if you don't want it ....

you could set it so you could connect into it from outside for various reasons , so stuff could be downloaded when you got home

have it as a backup in case something happens to your main laptop, synchronise files every so often

most flat screen TV's have a VGA input these days so use it as a media centre

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭phill106

+1 for media centre ideas. Hook up to tv and wifi, stick under telly. Install logmein from logmein.com on it, so you can access it from anywhere. Also maybe vnc or rdp for local connections. I have mine setup like that and its very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Why not use it to explore the wonderful world of Linux? :p (or donate to local school/voluntary organisation)

Nadser wrote: »
    Why not use it to explore the wonderful world of Linux? :p (or donate to local school/voluntary organisation)

I was trying to make it easy for him :) im running ubuntu 10.10 with teamviewer allowing my remote access!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nadser wrote: »
    phill106 wrote: »
    I was trying to make it easy for him :) im running ubuntu 10.10 with teamviewer allowing my remote access!

I've already got numerous Linux virtual machines running on my Desktop and Newer laptop, so there's no real need to setup a dedicated machine.

As for a media centre, my TV is connected to my desktop, so that serves that purpose already.

I could set it up as an "always on" machine and put it somewhere in the house so i could access it via logmein.

I've already got numerous Linux virtual machines running on my Desktop and Newer laptop, so there's no real need to setup a dedicated machine.

As for a media centre, my TV is connected to my desktop, so that serves that purpose already.

I could set it up as an "always on" machine and put it somewhere in the house so i could access it via logmein.

Ah but for what purpose? Backup files from other machines? If you can find no role for it, Perhaps you should just sell it or donate it to someone!

Or you can mount it your car, to play audio or videos depending on setup....

Advertisement