Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Laptop Custom Paint Jobs In Ireland?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

As the title states, is there anywhere in Ireland where you can get your laptop professionally custom painted? I'm gonna be getting an Alienware M17x and really wanna get this done. I was looking at Falcon NorthWest paint jobs & they're pretty sweet although ridiculously expensive. I mailed them asking about one of their designs and they said the paint alone would cost over $2,000!!

This is the kind of thing I'm looking for:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/falcon-gallery?product=25

If you scroll to the last section, there is a savage killer clown paint job.

Anyways, cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

That is one class PC/laptop outfit, and cool web site. I wonder how the graphics are applied; is it actually painted on directly, or is it transfered on via plastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

the graphics are painted on, hence the hefty price tag. Read what they say about the American flag paint job. A lot of time goes into it but it's ridiculously expensive though. Falcon laptops are really good.

Have you heard of Origin? It was set up by ex Alienware employees/founders after the Dell acquisition. They believed that Alienware was too mainstream now and wouldn't offer the same boutique customization so they left and set up Origin. The systems are amazing!

Here's a link to their site:

http://originpc.com/

Check out the 'Big O' - ridiculous but jaw dropping. It's really just there to show that you can build the system of your dreams and not be limited in options.

After posting this topic earlier, I've scanned the web for reviews of gaming laptops and everywhere seems to go towards boutique companies like Falcon and Origin. Most warn people away from Alienware. There seems to be a lot of problems with the systems and since it's now under Dell, customer service is supposed to be shocking.

Origin and Falcon both custom build your laptop from scratch as opposed Dell's conveyor belt system and their support appears to be awesome. Origin even has an option for your system to be shipped in a custom wooden crate.

After all that, I'm not sure which laptop to go for now but whatever I choose I think I'll definitely have to get a custom paint job. There has to be somewhere in Ireland that does it.

Thanks for the link. They're great looking computers as well. I knew there was only one way for Alienware to go once Dell took over, and thats downhill. The simple fact is Dell can't give the kind of care, attention and customer service that custom computer buyers expect. As you've said, the Dell business model is completely different.

I doubt there's anyone in Ireland offering this, it's an area I wouldn't mind getting into myself.

Yeah I've been searching for the past few hrs and I can't find anyone in Ireland that does it. I don't think I could buy a gaming laptop now without getting it custom painted after seeing the way they look.

I still like Alienware, especially the Alien FX lighting and front grill on the M17 X but from reading a few forums, the amount of people who have had problems and terrible customer service has really put me off!

I've mailed Origin about custom paint job prices as they use a crowd called 'Killer Paint' which are class. The only downside to Origin is they're keyboards aren't backlit which is really bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The Big 0......Holy Fvck.

• Advertisement

Insane isn't it!! They also have a 3d laptop as well called the Eon 15 3D which is pretty sick!

You know there's a computer Building and Upgrading forum on Boards.ie as well. You might get more information about this there. You could ask one of the mods to move this thread to that forum if you wanted.

Cool, cheers! How do u contact the mods?

Just post to ask, for example: "mods please move this thread to Building and Upgrading, thanks." They will usually see it and move the thread.

Cheers,

Mods could you please move this thread to Building and Upgrading, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

why not get it vinyl wraped if its good enough for cars laptop should be fine

@Massey,

Wherebouts could you get it vinyl wrapped?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67596832 thread here about cars ring revo they should be able to help you out

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I thought 99% of laptop colour mods were vinyl? :confused:

Both Origin & Falcon NorthWest use custom paint shops to spray their products. Origin uses 'Killer Paint'. You might have seen some of their stuff on shows like Monster Garage and Miami Ink etc.

The result is truly outstanding! They look savage! the level of detail in the artwork is unreal. Personally, I think that if you're in the mindset of buying a custom gaming rig, you're most likely the type of person who would get it custom painted. I know I would.

Here's a link to Origin's facebook page. If you check out the photos of different designs they've done you'll see what I'm talkin about.

http://www.facebook.com/originpc

Personally, I think their level of customer service is unmatched. WHen you ring customer service, they have all of your computers details at hand and know exactly what to do to fix your problem as opposed to being redirected through India (Dell). They even send you pictures of your product as it progresses through it's build all the way up until it ships and offer lifetime free phone and parts support.

I don't know about you guys but that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Only problem is I'd say the custom paint job is pretty expensive. You can pick from a few of their stock paint jobs which are pretty awesome but I've mailed them about getting my own artwork done and I've a feeling it's going to be pretty tough on the old wallet. That's why I was looking for a place in Ireland that might custom paint. Could be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

you could just go for the cheapy option and design your own sticker here

http://www.styleflip.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11

@indough

Cheers for the link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement