Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What processors can my pc support?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hi I've got a Dell Dimension 4600 from roughly about 2002. It came installed with Windows XP but now has Windows 7. I want to replace the old Pentium 4 2.66Ghz with something newer preferably more than 2 cores..do i need a new motherboard to support it or is there a processor out there that will work with it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

yep, you need a new mobo, cpu and possibly ram( you need new ram unless you go for for a pre Core 2 system or and old amd setup ). The Pentium 805 might work( im 99.99% sure it wont as its a 865PE mobo in that thing and its both ancient and End Of Life )

Simple matter is, things move on in 8 years, unfortunately also its a Dell so its a pain in the butt to upgrade anyway. Would recommend flogging it and building a new one/buy a second hand Core 2 system.

Advertisement