Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on house purchase

Options
  • 24-10-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭

Can I buy a house and put it in my daughter's name?
    There will be no bank involved (no mortgage).
    My daughter is 7 months old.

I purchased before and would have to pay stamp duty this time, however I'm not trying to dodge stamp duty. It would be in case anyone ever tried to sue me for my assets.

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Dont you need to be over 18 to sign the deeds?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

And wouldn't your poor daughter then have to pay stamp duty when she becomes a first time buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Davy wrote: »
    Dont you need to be over 18 to sign the deeds?

Don't know, thats part of my question.

If a lone parent died and left a house in a will to their under 18 child, could the child own a house that way? I'm not planning to die, just thinking is it possible for a child to own a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

dory wrote: »
    And wouldn't your poor daughter then have to pay stamp duty when she becomes a first time buyer?

That's true under current rules obviously. I'm more concerned about the next few years though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

You can buy the house in trust for your daughter. When she is 18 she can compel you to hand over the house to her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I purchased before and would have to pay stamp duty this time, however I'm not trying to dodge stamp duty. It would be in case anyone ever tried to sue me for my assets. .

Depends on a few things- of which the source of these assets and whether anyone else has any call on them, would be tantamount. It also depends on the reason for transferring these assets to a minor, and could in theory be open to challenge in either this or other jurisdictions.

If you are worried about possibly being sued over these assets, you could potentially transfer them to a spouse, who would have more security over these assets, than would a child.

You really *need* to get sound independent financial and legal advice- before taking any action- there could be implications associated with a transaction of this nature that you have not considered.

Advertisement