Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pets who take part-payment in Athlone area

Options
  • 24-10-2010 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any vets that would take part-payment or weekly direct debit to pay off a treatment?

I'm on Disability Allowance and can't afford to pay a €50+ fee upfront

I do have family, but I owe my father a lot of money already and he's one of those "it only cost €20, you could buy another four for the cost of treating it"

Needless to say they can still afford to take more than one holiday abroad ever year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

Hi Demonique,
    Im on the disability allowance too and soon I plan to rescue a dog and keep them as a pet. I already co own one but its more my dads dog and he lives in another county, miles and miles away.

I also wonder how i will pay if an emergency happens. Ill be OK with the annual booster and the monthly worming etc. Im fairly good at saving when I have to. Ive worked in a vets before and know a good few, unfortuneatley, I dont know any that do take weekly payments. It'd be great if they would.

I guarantee you some viewers will think or want to say that...us people on social welfare should not get pets if we cannot afford to pay for them...i see their point but pets are amazing and really make a difference to peoples lives.

My dog makes me smile every single time I see him and he's so so funny. So, if someone wants a pet, the best thing to do is save weekly for their veterinary treatment or get pet insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

did you try phoning them? most vets are fairly accomodating like that. I think many farmers generally have accounts with them and pay them monthly, well they do with my vet anyway. Our horse vet does the same, monthly billing.
    some treatments can come as a big nasty surprise so not everyone can afford to pay it all up front.
    Do you have a regular vet? maybe just ask them?:)

Bubs99 if those on welfare should not have a pet then nearly 1/4 of the country should not have them now;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

My Vet certainly would & I would suggest that you ask the ones near you. Obviously you can plan for the routine treatments.

I would actively encourage people on disability to have a dog provided that they can care for it. There are huge benefits to dog ownership & also specific "Disability Dogs" that are trained to help out with household tasks.

I know someone who is in a wheelchair & she would be lost without her dog. He is trained to pick up things that are dropped, he will fetch & carry & can turn lights on & off etc. I believe that the training organisation is talking to food retailers about allowing disability dogs the same access as guide dogs.

I did see a demo film of a dog shopping !. The owner, in a wheelchair, pointed to an item & guided the dog ( left right up down) to the item that she wanted & the dog put it in the basket.

Even more incredible are the "Disability" dogs that are trained to raise the alarm if they think that something is wrong. The dogs have a button which calls the emergency services. One woman had a fall & fell unconscious. She woke up in the ambulance as the dog had "dialled" 911. The trials have been so successful that they are now fitting buttons that unlock the house so that the emergency services do not have to break in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Most vets are extremely accomadating, ring around, you will find alot of them will respect you for worrying about this before you get a dog. Weel dsone you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Bubs99, you might find Pet Insurance a good idea. You can insure a dog for €20 per month at the most (highest price is for select breeds of pedigree dog, other breeds of pedigree dog are cheaper and non-predigrees are cheaper still)

• Advertisement
Advertisement