Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another player collapses on pitch

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Good to hear he has recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Jesus the way he hit the ground :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

Jesus the way he hit the ground :(

You can say that again, my God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Fcuk, this is getting beyond scary. I really hope that him and Ruben at the very least go on to live perfectly healthy lives. They can worry about their professional careers after.

We all need to remember Jarque and Puerta, I hope their families have coped with their losses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Holy crap that was horrendous! His team mates looked distraught too. Good to hear he's ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Jeez, it makes your blood run cold watching that.........Delighted to hear he is stable and recovering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Horrible and quite disturbing to see this happen. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, apparently if it weren't for the two team doctors getting to him straight away he'd have died.

I have a big soft spot for Salamanca. A friend of mine is a hardcore fan and I've been to a few games with him. I'm planning on going to see them next week away to Valladolid in the local derby.

It really hits you harder when it happens to one of 'your' teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Another Spanish based player as well? Wasn't there an investigation in to how the Spanish clubs train and the strain the players are under? Guessing they found nothing untoward. They must just be really unlucky to have this happening in their league.

Glad to hear he is 'ok'. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Another Spanish based player as well? Wasn't there an investigation in to how the Spanish clubs train and the strain the players are under? Guessing they found nothing untoward. They must just be really unlucky to have this happening in their league.

Glad to hear he is 'ok'. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

Most likely the heat, I know the majority of the games are played in the evening or at night but that looked like day time and I'd say they train at day time. Their training sessions are generally a good bit less physical then in the PL and they tend to focus more on the technical side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I wish him a quick and full recovery.

It's difficult to watch the other players so distraught.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Lukker- wrote: »
    Most likely the heat, I know the majority of the games are played in the evening or at night but that looked like day time and I'd say they train at day time.

Would it be hot at this time of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The match was played around one or two local time. From what I can see, the temperature was at most 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Minstrel27 wrote: »

Not at all, definitely couldn't blame it on the heat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Jesus :( Hate watching them.

btw, kinda on topic

I saw that ages ago, anyone know the story behind it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Jesus :( Hate watching them.

btw, kinda on topic

I saw that ages ago, anyone know the story behind it?

Fcuk me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Never happened in the 60, 70s and 80s when players were on the piss the night before and just generally not as fit. Is it the sports drinks??? Protein powders???:confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Lukker- wrote: »
    Most likely the heat, I know the majority of the games are played in the evening or at night but that looked like day time and I'd say they train at day time. Their training sessions are generally a good bit less physical then in the PL and they tend to focus more on the technical side of things.

Surely it can't be the just the heat? They play during the day in Italy and they endure higher temperatures. What about all the South American leagues to name just another example. It's very strange that Spain has more than one or two cases of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

There was a scary moment in the NFL today. Todd Heap - a tight end for the Baltimore Ravens - just collapsed with nobody near him at one stage. They took him to the sideline, gave him a few tests and sent him back out for the rest of the game. Ridiculous if you ask me, I don't care if the player begged to be allowed back out and preached that he was fine, I would never take that chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mobile Defibrillators & 1 trained person should be compulsory on every single side line in every league ( no matter what level/division) or no kick off .

A mobile defibrillator is under 2 grand and a half days training is €300 .

The GAA and FAI and any other sporting organisation should look into this .

If it saved 1 life it would be worth the cost of every single Defibrillator that may never gets used.

I know there is a movement to get mobile Defibrillators into Supermarkets etc , but IMO every sporting club should carry one just like the magic sponge.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Glad he's okay, it's never nice seeing that happen to anybody. I don't know what would have happened without one, but it's a good thing there was a medical team present.
    mixednuts wrote: »
    Mobile Defibrillators & 1 trained person should be compulsory on every single side line in every league ( no matter what level/division) or no kick off .

A mobile defibrillator is under 2 grand and a half days training is €300 .

The GAA and FAI and any other sporting organisation should look into this .

If it saved 1 life it would be worth the cost of every single Defibrillator that may never gets used.

I know there is a movement to get mobile Defibrillators into Supermarkets etc , but IMO every sporting club should carry one just like the magic sponge.

M

How is the defibrillator sales game these days? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Only a couple of weeks ago:

Evander Sno

He had surgery (implanted a defibrillator )and now is fit to play again.

Columbia wrote: »
    Glad he's okay, it's never nice seeing that happen to anybody. I don't know what would have happened without one, but it's a good thing there was a medical team present.

How is the defibrillator sales game these days? :p

?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

mixednuts wrote: »
    ?
    I think he's implying you work selling defibrillators :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I think he's implying you work selling defibrillators :)

Lol & after re-reading it does sound a bit like that .

No see we just had some training in the office on the use of defibrillators and they are so simple to use , people would be so surprised how simple and effective they are .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Hydration and the quality of training may be an issue in a lot of these deaths. I came across this article where they looked at deaths in marathon runners

http://www.livescience.com/health/marathon-temporary-heart-damage-101025.html
    The results showed that during a marathon, over half of the segments of the heart lose function, Larose said. The reason turns out to be an increase in inflammation and a decrease in blood flow through the muscle.
    "This is the first potential explanation as to why a runner has increased risk while he's running or she's running," Larose said.
    The good news is that the damage isn't permanent. By the time of their three-month checkups, the runners' hearts were back in tip-top shape.
    A second bit of good news is that better training and hydration can decrease the damage. A higher VO2max, indicating better fitness, was linked with less temporary damage. Testing runners' VO2max before a race may be a good way to assess their cardiac risk, Larose said.
    All but the fittest runner in the study had at least some damage. But the study group was too small to determine whether there is a universal level of fitness that protects runners from heart damage, Larose said.
    Because dehydration was associated with greater damage, runners also must focus on staying hydrated during races, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada spokesperson Dr. Beth Abramson said in a statement. Abramson, a professor of medicine at the University of Toronto, was not involved in the study, though the Heart and Stroke Foundation partially funded the research.

Advertisement