Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with a new "old" motherboard please!

Options
  • 24-10-2010 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hey, if anybody can offer advice on the following it would be appreciated(not the most technically minded<)

Have a computer i put together over 3 years ago which worked fine until earlier in the week when we had multiple power cuts.Originally thought it was a blown psu,but having bought a new psu and replaced it , the computer still won't boot.Have since tried the new psu and the old psu in a different comp and they power up fine.So i guess its the mobo thats at fault.

The cpu/motherboard/ram i have is ;
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.67GHz (1066FSB)
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz

The motherboard im looking to get is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001GZEZR2/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
    Is that compatable with my cpu/ram?,is there a cheaper alternative?

When switching the motherboard,can i just switch over my current hard drive with xp on it? i don't need to reinstall?
    The person who reviewed from the amazon link above said there is a problem with sata device drivers while installing,will i have a problem with my sata hard drive/dvd drive?

I only really need to get the computer to near christmas, then i'll probably get a complete new build,Heard there was new graphic card/cpu line soon?
    (have a expensive paperwight atm i can use :ohttp://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1750677.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What model are the two PSUs? Have you tested the system out of the case to make sure its not a problem with something shorting on the case or the power switch being screwy? With different graphics and RAM to exclude them? It could be many things, not necessarily the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Hi,

The psu i thought that was blown is a corsair 620w hx...but that works fine in my other comp(very old comp 6-8 years old).....now when i tried the psu from the older comp in my problem comp it worked fine(the reason i didnt use this is i didnt have the proper cables to connect the hard drive/dvd drive..its an old thermaltake psu.
    So the problem comp booted up but wouldnt load into windows as it had no power to the boot device/drive.(might not be explaining this too well,confused?:D)
    This is where i presumed the corsair 620hx was blown,i stupidly never tried the corsair in the older comp as i would have seen its fine.

So i recieve the new psu corsair 850w hx,install it in the problem comp and get nothing...i tried the older thermatake psu again(which had powered the comp,but i couldnt connect the hard drive/dvd drive) and this no longer powered the comp.
    I uninstalled the graphics card(4870)still didnt work,reinstalled 4870 but i noticed that it powered the graphics for a fraction of a second(brief buzz and red flash light on graphics card).

Hope you dont have a headache after that:)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Don't you have another PCIe graphics card to test in the HD4870's place? If there's a red LED flashing up on the HD4870 its usually a very bad sign, usually means something vital on the card has blown :(

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

That was a fun bank holiday morning:)

just tried an 8800 ultra in place of the 4870 and still nothing, took the mobo out of the case,refitted everything;still nothing....so tried it without the ram/gpu/soundcard one at a time and still no joy...guess i can safely assume its the mobo now....
    Think that motherboard i linked to in the first post will be ok?

Thanks!

Advertisement