Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to rent short term but with pets and no options

Options
  • 24-10-2010 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi other than daft, is there a site that allows for short term rentals with pets? My husband and my 2 furry cat children are needing something for 2 months - I have emailed over 85 places asking if they will do short lets and with pets but everything is a no or no answer :( My lease runs out in mid novemeber and im not sure what to do - the only places by city centre for short term were more expensive than paris - like 1800+ a month for 1 bedroom! I even offered places additional deposits for the pets :( Any advice or suggestions would be super helpful - I have lived here for over 5 years and have never been late with rent or left the place in a mess - i can provide references.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 digitalgirl

thanks I looked there but it doesnt mention pets - I believe I dropped a message but Ill drop another - any mroe ideas would be great I also tried property.ie but theres no useful search settings on pets - same with let.ie and rent.ie :(

I wonder if I put nappys on them and said they were babies if i woud have the same problem :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 galwaystudent

Well if you are sure the pets wont damage the place just rent somewhere and say nothing about them. If they are indoor cats I dont see how anyone would even know you have them in there. It doesn't look like you have many options left at this stage.

yeah thts what i was thinking - i was just trying to be honest - as i thought it would be appreciated - most of my friends just snuck animals in :D Youd swear by some of the replies i got that I was asking to park a giraffe in the living room

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

This is another reason why the whole renting scene needs to be changed dramatically in Ireland.
    People wonder why the Irish mentality is always to buy. Well if you can't even have a pet then I understand the need to own a property.

It may not be very moral, but I'd say just go for it with the cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Just to mention that another option is putting the cats into a shelter/cat kennel for a while. Shouldn't think it would do them harm if you visit occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My lease runs out in mid novemeber
    Is there no way that the landlord will extend the lease?

Getting somewhere for two months is difficult as there is a bigger overhead. Would it be possible to stay longer?

Sadly no way to extend the lease - she has sold the property and the new owner cant take control until we move out - and since our lease it up end of nov he wants the house -which of course is understandable (long story short we were supposed to be able to have the house for another year but then she decided she wanted to sell and it got bought less than a month ago - then we were told we could move next door in her house as she was moving out - then something on her end fell through so we have to find somewhere in much less time than I would normally allot.

As for a kennel, I really dont want to do that as its not very fair - they are cats I adopted from the dspca back this summer went we were told we would be able to stay here for a another year (had I known I would have waited, but as a responsible pet owner Im not going to bring them back - not that Im sorry I got them by any means :)).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I suggest at least not mentioning the cats until you actually go see each place. When you like a place tell the LL/agent that you really like it and are very interested. Let them feel relieved at the prospect of the two months rent and then mention the cats as an aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭chupi

Agree with Iguana, just go to the viewing looking super perfect and the landlord/agent will see that you are a responsible human :D Then the cats won't seem like a big obstacle. We've been renting 5 years with pets and only one place (that we viewed) has said an outright no.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Look at it from the Landlord's perspective. You want an inexpensive property to rent, you don't want to make anything more than a very short term commitment and you want to bring in pets that are highly likely to leave a few marks behind. I know you've offered to increase your deposit but realistically most property owners are not going to find you an attractive tenant.

Well I appreciate all the advise - Im just going to see what happens :o) In terms of the last comment - I didnt say I wanted an inexpensive property - but I think 1800+ for a 1 bedroom not serviced apartment with no parking is a bit high - and the reason I cant take a 6 -12 month lease is because my job is being relocated - what I find funny in a sad way is you mention my pets leaving a few marks behind - thats what pet security+normal security is for - and since i want my security plus pet deposit back and I dont want to live in a pigsty I always make sure that I put everything back in the order I got it and keep it clean. Btw, if you have a little kid who likes to draw, do you have to pay a kid deposit? No and they can do far more damage -i.e. nice drawing on the brand new painted wall - some are far noisier than dogs- for kids you just have your normal security deposit. :)

In terms of the last comment - I didnt say I wanted an inexpensive property - but I think 1800+ for a 1 bedroom not serviced apartment with no parking is a bit high

Apologies. I agree that sounds expensive

what I find funny in a sad way is you mention my pets leaving a few marks behind - thats what pet security+normal security is for - and since i want my security plus pet deposit back and I dont want to live in a pigsty I always make sure that I put everything back in the order I got it and keep it clean.

Ok I believe you. Most pet owners do not take this approach however. Every time I've ever allowed pets (or when tenants have brought them in despite a no pet clause) there has been damage caused by the pets worth way above the level of the deposit. And quite aside from chewed skirting boards, scratched doors and floorboards etc the smell and hair takes forever to get out and will make the property that bit harder to re-rent.
    Btw, if you have a little kid who likes to draw, do you have to pay a kid deposit? No and they can do far more damage -i.e. nice drawing on the brand new painted wall - some are far noisier than dogs- for kids you just have your normal security deposit. :)

A kid deposit? I like it!

And quite aside from chewed skirting boards, scratched doors and floorboards etc the smell and hair takes forever to get out and will make the property that bit harder to re-rent.

I said I had a cats not tigers :D As for lettings I can understand if there is carpeting that pet hair isnt easy to get out - which is why i try and only look for wooden floors ect - in my current proprty now, we are allowed pets and it does have carpeting but just to be a good tenant i even bought a bloody carpet cleaner just in case there was ever an accident - never has been so now i have a 200 euro hoover thing ive never used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

iguana wrote: »
    I suggest at least not mentioning the cats until you actually go see each place. When you like a place tell the LL/agent that you really like it and are very interested. Let them feel relieved at the prospect of the two months rent and then mention the cats as an aside.

its easier to ask forgiveness than get permission

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tigger wrote: »
    Agreed. Also, did you say "pets" or "cats". I ask as "pets" usually equals "dog".

Tigger wrote: »

It's also deceitful and completely changes the nature of the relationship that the tenant will have with the landlord. At least it would with me :)

It's also deceitful and completely changes the nature of the relationship that the tenant will have with the landlord. At least it would with me :)

If you mention you want to have a cat indoors to a prospective landlord you will never have a relationship with them in the first place. I would say nothing OP.

If you mention you want to have a cat indoors to a prospective landlord you will never have a relationship with them in the first place. I would say nothing OP.

And I would suggest a different approach. A grown up one, where you tell your potential landlord the truth and discuss it first. Your call OP.

And I would suggest a different approach. A grown up one, where you tell your potential landlord the truth and discuss it first. Your call OP.

She has been in contact with 85 places so far about bringing a pet into the house and it hasn't gone down well so far. A grown up a approach would be to use a bit of cop on say nothing about the pets instead of keeping on banging her head against the wall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement