Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom NGB and UPC fibre power broadband

• 24-10-2010 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I currently have 3mb with eircom, I must say no complaints as i always hit around 2.7 mb and the 30gb download allowance is good enough too for me with what I do.

I'm paying 29.99 for it at the moment, but saw NGB it says it's the same price for speeds up to 8mb, if i'm hitting nearly 3mb now and I upgraded would I hit near enough the 8mb?? The download allowance is also 30gb so no problems there either.

Also I had a look into UPC, they have 15mb fibre power broadband for a similar price, with no download limit.
    Do you think I would hit near the speeds it says, and will the router UPC provide you with be eligible for xbox live??

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you will be upgraded to NGB whether you want it or not, the UPC limit is 120Gb ...not unlimited at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

chops018 wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I currently have 3mb with eircom, I must say no complaints as i always hit around 2.7 mb and the 30gb download allowance is good enough too for me with what I do.

I'm paying 29.99 for it at the moment, but saw NGB it says it's the same price for speeds up to 8mb, if i'm hitting nearly 3mb now and I upgraded would I hit near enough the 8mb?? The download allowance is also 30gb so no problems there either.

Also I had a look into UPC, they have 15mb fibre power broadband for a similar price, with no download limit.
    Do you think I would hit near the speeds it says, and will the router UPC provide you with be eligible for xbox live??
    UPC 8mb download limit 120GB and 15&30mb download limit 250GB ,I say go for upc cheaper and better speed .Im getting upc when my area upgrade and leaving eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

I'm on UPC in Limerick (right next door to LIT) and I get really good speeds on the wireless - my room is about 10 metres from the router and I get 14mb down on speedtest. It translates to about 1.7MB down on private tracker torrents or download services like megaupload - very fast indeed. Also, there's six in the house and I never notice slowed connection. I would say UPC is worth it - the modem might need some tweaking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

chops018 wrote: »
    The download allowance is also 30gb so no problems there either.
    Note that your 30 GB allowance on NGB includes download and upload so check your current stats and add on the upload to download totals to be sure that 30 GB is still plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

UPC is the way to go with xbox live because its contension free, meaning 20-40ms pings, but be aware that the wireless router they supply is an absolute peice of ****, and if i were you id request their scientific atlantic modem and buy your own router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

rob808 wrote: »
    UPC 8mb download limit 120GB and 15&30mb download limit 250GB ,I say go for upc cheaper and better speed .Im getting upc when my area upgrade and leaving eircom.

T's & C's lists no limit on the 15mb & 30mb package.
    Monthly data usage is capped at 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 8Mb, there is no monthly usage cap for Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb or 30Mb.

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/thirty/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Wookster76 wrote: »

Well that nice to know looking forward to leaving Eircom in few months going for 15mb broadband of upc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Sick of eircom at this stage. Last year I upgraded to 3mb from 1mb an dthey didn't care to inform me that my line can only take 2mb. Very nice of them. Now they've upgraded us to NGB and still the same speeds. Can't get UPC yet and they said they wont be upgrading my line until sometime in 2011. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭wedgelington

i think you should read the acceptible usage policy before switching, i had'nt and like all of you thought the was no download limit until they sent me a letter saying i was way over my download limit, so i upgraded to 15mb from 8mb and presumed this had to have no limit cause what use would having such fast broadband without being able to download freely but once again i received a letter yesterday regarding the same thing, so if your like me and download a lot id suggest sticking with eircom cause it has an unlimited download allowance which funny enough is the reason i switched in the first place that and the huge price difference

the link : http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/

scroll down to section 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the 250gb AUP/FUP has been there for the last month or so, but its still fairly well hidden.

plenty of info and background on it in this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055484124

if you go over the limit they send you a nasty letter and then charge you double every month for the extra usage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/
    Your monthly data transfer allowance depends upon which broadband package you have selected. The data transfer allowances for the various packages are 120GB for Fibre Power Broadband 8Mb users and 250GB for Fibre Power Broadband 15Mb and 30Mb users and 500GB for Fibre Power Broadband 100Mb users. All monthly data transfer allowances refer to the cumulative amount of data uploaded and downloaded per month, unless otherwise specified in your particular package.

They offer 1Mb and 5Mb services too but no indication of AUP on those :confused:

Also prices are due to change http://www.upc.ie/about_us/pricenotice/
    this means you can change contract before the end of the year without penalty

UPCPriceChange.jpg

TBH if you have the option of UPC and you don't need a land line it's a no brainer to ditch eircom - UPC charge €7.75 'line rental' if you get broadband without TV or phone

Advertisement