Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting a PS2 (Phat) 110v to 220v

Options
  • 24-10-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

So I've got a friend who owns an NTSC phat PS2 (from the US). Currently they're using a giant, heavy step up/down transformer but something's wrong with the PS2. I took a look at the power board and you know it's not a good sign when some traces have been scorched off the board and the green coating is blackened :P

The PS2 power supply board takes in a 2-pin AC plug to the board, runs it through whatever and connects to the motherboard via a 4-pin proprietary connection. The 220v boards do the same thing, but obviously the stuff on the board is different - they connect to the mobo via the same 4 pins.

So I'm wondering if I pick up a 220v European Power Supply board could the PS2 be run without the transformer? Obviously the console is still NTSC but it's going to be modded soon anyways to play PAL games.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

So I've got a friend who owns an NTSC phat PS2 (from the US). Currently they're using a giant, heavy step up/down transformer but something's wrong with the PS2. I took a look at the power board and you know it's not a good sign when some traces have been scorched off the board and the green coating is blackened :P

The PS2 power supply board takes in a 2-pin AC plug to the board, runs it through whatever and connects to the motherboard via a 4-pin proprietary connection. The 220v boards do the same thing, but obviously the stuff on the board is different - they connect to the mobo via the same 4 pins.

So I'm wondering if I pick up a 220v European Power Supply board could the PS2 be run without the transformer? Obviously the console is still NTSC but it's going to be modded soon anyways to play PAL games.

Once you drop in the 220v power supply board, it will run fine without the need for the step down - those things are the tool of the devil! Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Once you drop in the 220v power supply board, it will run fine without the need for the step down - those things are the tool of the devil! Go for it.

Cheers EnterNow, just what I wanted to hear. While the thing is dead at the minute, I'm sure they wouldn't be pleased if I took it only to make it unrecoverably dead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Dont buy a power supply without talking to me, I should have one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well you may not be outta the woods yet, bear in mind that if a power surge sufficient wnough to scorch tracks etc was present, it very well may have continued through into the internals. But your theory is sound anyway, I've donored quite a few internal psu's to and from different region units & never had an issue. Hope you get it working again, take a few snaps of the job if you have a spare moment even :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Dont buy a power supply without talking to me, I should have one

Yet another excuse to visit yours :p *checks wallet* next week? :D

Let me know if you've got one and we'll arrange something, and thanks for the offer too.

Now if only it could get over the whole playing PAL games in black & white issue it has :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If I have one, I dont want anything for it!

Advertisement