Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to move this shrub/tree please?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Hope all having a good bank holiday.
    During the week if we get a nice day I want to move this tree further back in my garden as it blocks the view from the house. Can anyone give me any advice on how to do this please? Also what is the name of the tree?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

The red one I take it ? I beleive its a variety of Acer, also sometimes called a Japanese Maple. Not an expert of any kind on moving trees, but I'd guess carefully dig a large hole, say 2m diameter, remove as much soil as you can, prepare to cut a few roots, get say 4 strong lads and some 2x4 or better timber,or scaffold bars, lift and hope for the best.

Also dig the recipient hole first !

I couldn't say if this was the best time of year to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Don't do it in the case of moving Acer palmatum 'Dissectum Garnet' - Japanese maple.
    I don't recommended it... you have a lovely "mature" tree... I have moved smaller Acers badly placed ..and have lost them ...

Granted if you can dig a root ball 2 metre cubed you might have a chance... But I don't think it will survive ...depends how long it's in that location...

If you can prune the roots first 2m2 leave for one year for the roots to redevelop closer around the plant...before lifting...

But you have a lovely tree... plan around it :)
    Seriously I'd kill for that view you have ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Sneachta

jezko wrote: »
    Don't do it in the case of moving Acer palmatum 'Dissectum Garnet' - Japanese maple.
    I don't recommended it... you have a lovely "mature" tree... I have moved smaller Acers badly placed ..and have lost them ...

Granted if you can dig a root ball 2 metre cubed you might have a chance... But I don't think it will survive ...depends how long it's in that location...

If you can prune the roots first 2m2 leave for one year for the roots to redevelop closer around the plant...before lifting...

But you have a lovely tree... plan around it :)
    Seriously I'd kill for that view you have ;-)

I know what you are saying. It is a beautiful tree but it blocks the view of the garden from downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm with the others, that is a beautiful, mature, small acer. Have you any idea how much you would pay for that tree if you went to buy it in a container? I would not move it, and certainly not while it is in full leaf.

It looks to me as though it is just blocking the view of the shed, that far from the house it cannot be blocking too much? Many people plant to give views that you do not get 'all at once'.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but if you decide to move it, do not hold out too much hope of it surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Transplanting this tree will involve considerable effort! The rootball will probably require a mechanical lift as it may weigh > 1.0 - 1.5tons. Also you cannot attempt to move the tree until the dormant season, ie well after all the leaves have been shed, c end Dec/Jan.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies, think i better leave it be.

Is it possible to prune it upwards? Reckon that prob not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I agree 100% with everyone else - beautiful tree, shame to move it, and if you do you will most likely lose it. If you insist, do it when the last leaves have fallen, with as big a root ball as possible, but realistically I'd be looking in garden centres for its successor. May be your best longterm prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Sneachta wrote: »

Acers do not like pruning, and although some people do prune, personally I wouldn't do it apart from removing lower branches to effectively raise the crown.

Unfortunately because there are so many variants on Acers, which can lead to confusion, frustration etc to see the range of growth habits/colour etc from low to tall, narrow to very broad etc.

I know what you are saying. It is a beautiful tree but it blocks the view of the garden from downstairs.

You could look at It that it hides the Garden in one view, giving the hidden Garden a air of mystery :-) and to entice the Vistor to go outside and Explore :-)
    Don't like to see an Acer pruned myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭wayne76

my father in law had a similar acer moved a couple of years back by a horticulturist friend and it's still thriving so mixed view's from me but that size tree would set you back the bone's of 2 - 3 grand to buy i was looking at similar size tree's in a nursery in the summer priced at 2400:eek:

• Advertisement

wayne76 wrote: »
    my father in law had a similar acer moved a couple of years back by a horticulturist friend and it's still thriving so mixed view's from me but that size tree would set you back the bone's of 2 - 3 grand to buy i was looking at similar size tree's in a nursery in the summer priced at 2400:eek:

€2400 thats crazy, wonder could I sell it to anyone

€2400 thats crazy, wonder could I sell it to anyone

Now you see why most here would prefer not to see it moved... or see harm to a really lovely ...but bloody expensive tree :-) If you need to move it ..try get "professional" help...I mean Horticultural... of course :D

Have decided not to move it as it is such a nice tree I dont want to risk ruining it. Thanks everyone for your help.

Advertisement