Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airwave Internet - Gone??

• 24-10-2010 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Anyone know if Airwave internet (Cork) are having diffs at the moment? Connection lost for an hour yesterday morning and went off last night at 6:45pm and hasn't come back. Their website has disappeared off the planet as well which is making me think that the problem isn't with me which is what I had been thinking, as they're never down.

Regards,

Tomas

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Their domain name is suspended, most probably for non payment.

domain: airwave.ie
    descr: LACKABEHA SERVICES LIMITED
    descr: Body Corporate (Ltd,PLC,Company)
    descr: Registered Business Name
    admin-c: AEG835-IEDR
    tech-c: RIH12-IEDR
    renewal: 31-August-2010
    nserver: ns1.novara.ie
    nserver: ns2.novara.ie
    nserver: ns3.novara.ie
    source: IEDR

It's possible they've gone bust or that the person who was getting the e-mails from novara/iedr are no longer working for the company and it's an oversight.

God knows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TomasH

Which would explain why mailing them wouldn't have a point. Phonecall in the morning methinks though back searching for wireless broadband in east cork just in case. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most likely an oversight. Going bust doesn't affect websites and domains as these are paid for at least a year at a time.

renewal: 31-August-2010
    Seems like it's 2 months overdue.
    Google has loads of October 2010 dated pages of Airwire in cache, so I subscribe to "forgot to pay for domain" theory.

I'm hoping that's it. Unfortunately my broadband is down since last night and finding their website gone at the same time isn't filling me with a tidal wave of optimism. Mail to support@airwave.ie isn't gonna go anywhere as the MX record for the domain is the same ip as the ip for the website which is currently the "congratulations you have installed apache" cpanel page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Tomorrow is a holiday, so don't panic if they don't answer phone on Monday. Only panic if there is no answer on Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

As an ISP they should always have someone on call, OP start looking for a new ISP regardless seems they are amateurs

To be honest, their service has never been anything short of superb. Local, down to earth and technically sound which is why I've spent most of the last day checking and rechecking everything on my side. Lights on the dish and router are on, but no-ones home..... I'm close to sticking a netbook onto the dish and see what arp calls and the like are getting routed. Rural wireless broadband's great but if it goes off you can't ask your neighbour if theirs is off too.

What location are you in, plenty of WISPs in the area if the worst comes true.

I can see Cloyne and Ballycotton but the initial install was a little less than conventional and they just about managed it. As I've a lot of big trees on all sides, I fear that others may baulk at the thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

airwave.ie website works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

airwave.ie website works for me.

it doesn't work for anyone as it's not actually technically registered anymore. On Friday it'll be deleted for good unless it's paid for.

paul@ubuntu:~$ dig ns airwave.ie +short
    paul@ubuntu:~$

paul@ubuntu:~$ dig ns blacknight.ie +short
    ns2.blacknightsolutions.com.
    ns.blacknightsolutions.com.

@Some - eh ... Airwave.ie as in not airwire.ie ...maybe?

Well the connectivity has returned but their domain is still NX'd I see. The nameserver says its own domain doesn't exist. Virtual halloween with all this cyber spookiness. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

TomasH wrote: »
    @Some - eh ... Airwave.ie as in not airwire.ie ...maybe?

AirWire.ie is a Clare/Galway/Mayo based ISP, the op is talking of a cork based ISP..

I can lend you a chainsaw OP! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

No internet connectivity issues here and never have been, in fact always found the connection to be excellent with no complaints.
    However, I was planning to ring them as I'm having difficulty getting an Iphone to connect. Tried connecting through the Wi-Fi/Wireless but it's looking for a password. Hope they're still in business?

That is nothing to do with them, you need to look in the config pages of your wifi router to check see what the passphrase is.

The router's IP will be the same as the default gateway on your PC. To get it type: ipconfig at the command prompt and hit enter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

That is nothing to do with them, you need to look in the config pages of your wifi router to check see what the passphrase is.

The router's IP will be the same as the default gateway on your PC. To get it type: ipconfig at the command prompt and hit enter.

Maybe it is, some wireless providers do

Airwave's setup is how munstercycling has presumed in answering. Access your router (usually http://192.168.1.1) and check the passphrase that's set for it. Enter that on your iphone when prompted.

As I said earlier, their service is the tiniest bit short of excellent and only short because of the weekend. Their domain is active again and their website up.

Shout if you can't access your home wifi for your iphone as most folk here are more than happy to walk you through it if need be.

If you can tell what router you have, instructions will be specific.

Not presumed, have worked on a few of the local WISPs customer sites so am fairly familiar with the setup they use. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 John.Airwave

Hello All,

I was alerted to this thread, and thought some clarification would be helpful.

As some of you have noticed, our domain was suspended last weekend. As flamegrill suspected, this was due to our domain registrar using an out-of-date email address for renewal notices.
    My apologies for the inconvenience - we have to hold our hand up here.

However, we do feel very let down by our domain registrar because we were unable to make phone or email contact over the long weekend which prolonged the issue.

Regarding the other issues mentioned :-
    If a customer has a connectivity issue, its best to check all the easy stuff first (power, LAN activity etc.) and then contact ourselves either via phone or email. We have support from 9am to 6:30pm and after hours on a per issue basis (i.e. left a voicemail and we will get back to you)

We do supply our own customers with pre-configured routers, so if a customer has lost theirs, phone or email and we will give it to you.

I hope this clears up some of the issues mentioned. Please feel free to contact me directly at john@airwave.ie at any time.

Regards,

John

Airwave Internet

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭donglen

TomasH wrote: »
    Airwave's setup is how munstercycling has presumed in answering. Access your router (usually http://192.168.1.1) and check the passphrase that's set for it. Enter that on your iphone when prompted.

As I said earlier, their service is the tiniest bit short of excellent and only short because of the weekend. Their domain is active again and their website up.

Shout if you can't access your home wifi for your iphone as most folk here are more than happy to walk you through it if need be.

If you can tell what router you have, instructions will be specific.

Hi All, thanks for your help on this, much appreciated. I believe I have the following:
    NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER
    54Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v7

If anyone can offer advice please, need the password to access "Wireless" on the Iphone.

Kind Regards.

Not presumed, have worked on a few of the local WISPs customer sites so am fairly familiar with the setup they use. ;)

Some Isp's provide pre-configured routers setup with remote access and lock the customer out. If You cannot access the router to see Your wifi password it becomes their responsibility.
    donglen wrote: »
    Hi All, thanks for your help on this, much appreciated. I believe I have the following:
    NETGEAR WIRELESS ROUTER
    54Mbps Wireless Router WGR614 v7

If anyone can offer advice please, need the password to access "Wireless" on the Iphone.

Kind Regards.

Ring them giving Your customer number, if they provided it, they will have remote access

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Some Isp's provide pre-configured routers setup with remote access and lock the customer out. If You cannot access the router to see Your wifi password it becomes their responsibility.
    None down here behave in such a fashion, it is simple to reset most routers but prob not for the best course of action for the OP.

None down here behave in such a fashion, it is simple to reset most routers but prob not for the best course of action for the OP.

Not a good idea if it has static ip address or pppoe settings, hence the need for locking customers out. You don't want customers messing with things, it happens all the time.

Oh I understand but that still doesn't mean it is good practice.

Oh I understand but that still doesn't mean it is good practice.

Why not, usually the router remains the property of the ISP. This way saves support issues where customers mess around with the routers.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Why not, usually the router remains the property of the ISP. This way saves support issues where customers mess around with the routers.

Because you generate a CS call just to get the wifi key if the user has invariably lost it and what happens when you have no CS cover like in the case of the OP, the company were just uncontactable for days. Sticking it on the under side of the router while it might sound attractive would be a security breach to most organisations/businesses although in domestic situations it might be preferable.

Because you generate a CS call just to get the wifi key if the user has invariably lost it and what happens when you have no CS cover like in the case of the OP, the company were just uncontactable for days. Sticking it on the under side of the router while it might sound attractive would be a security breach to most organisations/businesses although in domestic situations it might be preferable.

If it works plugged into an ethernet port then its working. No provider supports wifi, its only added for convenience as a wifi router is the same price as a normal router. Worst case is You gotta wait 2-3 days to contact support for the encryption key, no biggie

• Advertisement

It is very much a biggie, please try to see this.

Advertisement