Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been fired ??

• 24-10-2010 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭

I was in a shop earlier today and heard an argument over on the other aisle.
    Me being my usual nosey nosey self wandered over to what was happening.

The store manager was arguing with an employee. Next thing the manager told him to pack his stuff and leave. The employee flicked the bird to the manager, told him to go screw himself and said "your wifes' a dirty ****in slut". Brilliant :D

Have you ever been fired or quit in a funny way????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Keptic

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Yup :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Nope, never.
    I could've been over something they thought i did, but they had no proof so they were screwed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes - one time for giving away a free box of matches I kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Biggins wrote: »

To an arsonist or a randomer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Once for being a piss head when I was younger and more recently(covered up as redundancy) but still fired as far as I could tell. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

That would require me to get a job first :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Once. From a canon.

I left the circus the day after.

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    To an arsonist or a randomer?
    To a very regular customer.
    She returned seconds later after doing her shopping, to say she forgot about matches. I passed her a box that at the time was around five pence and said "you can give it to me again" and thought no more about it.
    Long story short, the owner of the newsagents sacked me for giving it away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

From college jobs only: McDonalds and KFC. Well I kinda walked out of the former before I could get fired. Both times for a combination of labour aversion and cheek to managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

stovelid wrote: »
    From college jobs only: McDonalds and KFC. Well I kinda walked out of the former before I could get fired. Both times for a combination of labour aversion and cheek to managers.

How can you get fired from these jobs? are you employed now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

What is it with you and shops?

If it's not chasing after robbers, you're witnessing people getting the sack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

To a very regular customer.
    She returned seconds later after doing her shopping, to say she forgot about matches. I passed her a box that at the time was around five pence and said "you can give it to me again" and thought no more about it.
    Long story short, the owner of the newsagents sacked me for giving it away.
    Doesn't this fly in the face of the thread you started about how people who rob from work should be sacked? I know that you didn't gain personally anything but your boss is still down a box of matches, just sayin'...

Oranage2 wrote: »
    How can you get fired from these jobs?

You prove undesirable as a worker and a termination of employment scenario kind of proceeds from there.
    are you employed now?

Yes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Yes. Several times in fact.

My first "job" was working for my aunty delivering eggs to some elderly folk.
    - She fired me for smashing too many eggs.

My second "job" was delivering the northside people.
    - Fired for dumping the papers in a bin.

My first "real" job working in Spar on the northside.
    - Fired for stealing cigarettes.

My second "real" job was working in a family run shopping centre on the northside as a trolley boy.
    - Fired for not collecting the trolleys properly. (Apparently pushing them forward and jumping on is unacceptable)

Skip forward a few years to working in SuperValu as a shelf stacker.
    - Fired for "forgetting" I was in that day.

Movies at Swords
    - Fired for See above ^^

And last but by no means least, my all time favourite... A little shop in Howth.

I worked there with 2 mates and we were always in charge of getting orders in and basically all the roles of a manager but without the somewhat decent money.

So the story goes, we were working away when a friend popped in telling us of a drinks promo in the Bloody Stream that night. We figured, we'll wrap up here and be in the pub for 22:15 ready for a night on the razz.
    All was going well, shop was quiet leading to the closure which meant we could top the newspapers and mop the floor without hassle. 22:00 rolls on and we've got the shutter down and the alarm set. We head on to the Bloody Stream for to meet our friends and have a few pints. A few pints turns into many,many pints. The drinks promo was offering a shot of your choice with each pint until midnight. We made the absolute most of this!

Anywho, the pub closes up and we get kicked out ....but we want to keep drinking. At this point all offo's are closed. My friend who had the keys to the shop said, we can nip in an grab a bottle of wine or 2, leave a note for "Mr. X" in the morning and we'll be all good. Plan is set and we're ready to go in. One friend waits outside while me and the other pop in to grab some supplies. 2 bottles of Wine turns into about 3/4 a couple boxes of cigarettes and a tonne of food. A list was compiled and left at the til documenting our takings. We shout outside to our friend on the other side of the shutter "is it clear?!" to which he replies "yea lads, c'mon".

We whip up the shutter to find my friend standing beside two Garda. Busted.

They called our boss on the spot and the Garda politely informed us we were fired once he hung up.

Had to pop to the shop the next day (horribly hungover) to pay our tab.

TL;DR - Don't go into your place of work drunk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

You prove undesirable as a worker and a termination of employment scenario kind of proceeds from there.

Yes.

I've worked in a similar job in college and never seen anyone actually getting fired no mather how bad they where. Thats a lie i seen one employee fired for stealing 100s of euro of meat

I've worked in a similar job in college and never seen anyone actually getting fired no mather how bad they where. Thats a lie i seen one employee fired for stealing 100s of euro of meat

Both times involved "colourful colloquial exchanges" of varying degree with my superior - similar to the OP.

I eventually found a more suitable part-time job where I could work shifts alone with no Petit-Hitlers around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 243 ✭✭trixie_belle12

Yep, unfairly dismissed though never went to court, fairly put paid to my established career path....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I worked in tesco when i 17. got fired as follows, anyone who has worked in a shopping market knows what "facing off" is. Its a pain in the hole, pointless and i hated it.

Manager: Face off that isle.

I face off some shít and condsider a job well done

Manager: That looks crap, do it again.

Me: I am in my bollix doing it again, you do it.

Manager: I think you dont care about this job, am i correct?

Me: You think I dont care about working in a tesco for feck all money? doing crap like facing off and packing tampons on shelves? you are right, i hate it...

Manager: do you want to leave.

I then grabbed me coat and left smiling.

I fúcking hate tesco. My heart goes out to those of you that work there (and hate it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Yes
    Gave my manager a slap
    He deserved it the stuttery ****

Doesn't this fly in the face of the thread you started about how people who rob from work should be sacked? I know that you didn't gain personally anything but your boss is still down a box of matches, just sayin'...
    How does it fly in the face of me starting a thread? :confused:

I didn't say in that thread, it was right or wrong for all in all occasions - but how does it fly in the face of me actually starting a thread?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    anyone who has worked in a shopping market knows what "facing off" is. Its a pain in the hole, pointless and i hated it.

I face off food in my house, no joke. I hate it when I open a press and can't see the label of the product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

any chance you would be able to give us a list of things that hasn't happened to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I was fired and they came crawling back 3 days later. I told them I would be back at the end of the week. This happened twice. Manager was an absolute ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I face off food in my house, no joke. I hate it when I open a press and can't see the label of the product!

You have issues my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yup - from a music retailer when I was 20. Manager was an absolute and utter sociopathic nut-job. That sounds like I'm abdicating responsibility, but I'm not - he really needed help.

In contrast, I refused to do a stock-take when working in Tesco because I couldn't be arsed (in fairness, it was with a pen and paper ffs) which deserved a sacking, or at least a disciplinary, but instead, they made me clean the meat fridges. Grand by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've only been fired once (apart from the canon one, of course).

Was working one summer in a plastics factory & slipped on some oil that had leaked from one of the machines... I went arse over tit & landed really badly, so I had a really badly bruised back & could barely move the next day, so I rang in & told them that I wouldn't be in that day.

My back was still buggered for two weeks & I stayed out sick. At the end of the 2nd week, I was told not to bother coming back.

On of the union reps was a neighbour of mine & told me that he'd contact a solicitor on my behalf for unfair dismissal & non-payment of wages - after all, the accident was their fault and they should have, at the very least, arranged for me to go to hospital or see a doctor to make sure I hadn't been badly injured.

I just said OK, then I forgot about the whole issue & went back to college.

A few months later, I got a call from the solicitor to say that the company had decided that it was better to settle the issue with a payment to me & would £10,000 cover it?

Easiest £10k I ever made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I eventually found a more suitable part-time job where I could work shifts alone with no Petit-Hitlers around.

Such a part-time job exists?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Once. From a canon.

I left the circus the day after.

You stole my joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

they don't fire me, i fire them!*;)

*seriously no, i have however quit a few times when a better job came along :) the first day i was unemployed (since i was 17) was when i was made redundant after having a baby...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ice cubed

No, but I quit a job after 12 and half minutes. A fast food place in the states, last resort job after running out of money.
    I also worked in a bar for a year and a half and when it came time to leave I wrote "my notice" on a bit of paper and called into the boss' office to say I had something to hand in. He didn't get it, wasn't the same when I had to explain the joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

only sacked the once

long story short...

was 16 in a staff meeting in a cinema and was constantly taking the piss with the lad next to me cracking jokes and what not

General manager was a dickhead at the time, HR manager is retarded... she really is stupid.

Still see the general manager as i work in the same shopping center and he still says hello to me.

RESULT ! :pac:

Wouldn't mind they could've sacked me for something more serious like all those medium cokes i gave out for free so i could look nice to all the wimmez and getting their numbers :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

Ice cubed wrote: »
    I also worked in a bar for a year and a half and when it came time to leave I wrote "my notice" on a bit of paper and called into the boss' office to say I had something to hand in. He didn't get it, wasn't the same when I had to explain the joke.

:o Hardly a classic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭ismiseuisce

When I was fourteen I had a summer job as a cleaner in a small amusement park type place. One day one of the "cool" older staff gave me a can of Heineken that was left over from some private party and dared me to drink it during my break. Trying to be cool :cool:, I drank it (it was my first ever alcoholic drink) and I was ridiculously drunk after it. :rolleyes:

I ended up sitting on the ground laughing during my shift and was fired as soon as the manager saw me. :o

My mum came to pick me up and I slept for a day and a half sleeping off that one can! OH THE SHAME!

I have never entered that place again due to embarrassment. I have often wanted to go in and apologize to my old manager but I can never get the guts to do it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Not pottery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Despite my best efforts, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mr. X doesn't own Centra, does he? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I thought Mr. X ran a school for gifted children

Think he's a doctor now. Dr. X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

WindSock wrote: »
    Think he's a doctor now. Dr. X.

No no.Youre thinking of Professor X.He's a teacher down at that place with all the freaks.You know, Cork I think its called

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I think he continued his studies and is now a professor. Professor Charlie X

edit ...... goddamn you chin

Ah yes, a fatal error. Perhaps he is in Howth aswell as Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭BarryDoodles

Worked in a restaurant for three years. Handed in my two weeks notice and worked it out. On the 15th day I on the roster to work. In my infinite wisdom, I got very very drunk and went to work. I took them over an hour to notice and 'fire' me. The managers weren't exactly hands on in that place....

The reason I decided to read this thread is simple. I'm totally getting fired tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Ice cubed

Ice cubed wrote: »
    SoulTrader wrote: »
    :o Hardly a classic :D

True dat:), but I thought it was a bit obvious though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Worked in the bar trade for years when in school and college.. was fired from one job by this bar manager as we didnt see eye to eye and I refused to take any of is cr*p... He was also married to the bar owners sister so he felt he couldnt be touched..

He was a bully and regularly had female members of staff in tears as he tore strips off them in front of customers etc.. complete d*ck..

Anyway, after him trying to bully me yet again, I told him to f*ck off and get a life, he called me into his office and fired me, so I took my stuff and walked out.. A friend of mine who I used to work with in another bar had just started in a bar up the street, so I popped in there to tell her the good news, so as I was sitting there having a pint, the manager of this other bar walks in, we start chatting and I tell him whats happened, he offers me a job there and then and I start that evening..

The following evening, the d*ck manager who fired me walks in as this is one of his fav pubs and he nearly drops with the fright to see me standing there behind the bar with a big grin on my face..

I hear later, the manager of the bar I was now working in, called him aside and informed the d*ck that if he planned firing anymore of his good barstaff could he let him know in advance as he was more than willing to give them a job.. Priceless.. :D

Notorious wrote: »
    Such a part-time job exists?

Evening shift in petrol station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Nope never been fired before :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I have never been fired.
    I am the perfect employee.I turn up everyday on time, often stay late to finish things.
    I always carry out my duties diligently, identify and implement process improvements.
    I keep management informed of employees not living up to the excellent levels that I have achieved and have become the standard expected by the wonderful company I am so happy to be a part of.

For these reasons I will never be fired.

I am however not a great colleague as I will bury you if it means I get promoted.

I have however left jobs to further my career and actually have had employers beg me to stay, one even cried the day I left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Kasabian wrote: »
    I have never been fired.
    I am the perfect employee.I turn up everyday on time, often stay late to finish things.
    I always carry out my duties diligently, identify and implement process improvements.
    I keep manmagement informed of employees not living up to the excellent levels that I have achieved and have become the standard expected by the wonderful company I am so happy to be a part of.

For these reasons I will never be fired.

I am however not a great colleague as I will bury you if it means I get promoted.

I have however left jobs to further my career and actually have had employers beg me to stay, one even cried the day I left.

Bet you had lots of mates at work too:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement