Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever been fired ??

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Never been fired. I'm way too good at covering up my incompetence. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Trekmad wrote: »
    Bet you had lots of mates at work too:D

I hate/hated everyone I have ever had to work with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Never fired but I've walked out of a couple of places.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

WindSock wrote: »
    Mr. X doesn't own Centra, does he? :confused:

Nah, the Gem. Across from the Dart Station

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Was fired from a crappy deli job when i was in college. I had only started the week before and had worked over 50 hours that week, and had was rostered to work the early shift on the saturday morning(had to start at 6.30 to bake bread) I had a college thing to go to on the friday night, but ended up heading home at about 9pm because i felt so ill, and called in sick when i woke the next morning with suspected Scarlet Fever.

My friend also worked there and was called to work my shift, and needless to say she wasn't very pleased and decided to tell the manager that i was probably only hungover. I rang again at 9 to let the them know the doctor had confirmed i had Scarlet Fever and under no circumstances should i work with food as it is highly contagious, and the manager literally screamed down the phone that i was a liar and my friend had told her the "real truth" and that i was fired and wouldn't be getting any pay as i was still on probation.

My dad took great pleasure dropping in my cert and a letter stating that if i wasn't given my full pay that i would be taking legal action for unfair dismissal, and slander. I guess the manager felt sorry for me because i got paid for a full months work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Kasabian wrote: »
    I hate/hated everyone I have ever had to work with.

I get you - "I'm here to make money not to make friends"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

when i do get fired, the situation will be met with a mixture of bravado and sadness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Yeah once by an employer who would have been more suited to living under the Nazi regime than modern Ireland.
    The guy was an absolute control freak & the day I walked out of his office for the last time was a huge weight off my shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Once,for bieng too God dam good lookin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I worked in tesco when i 17. got fired as follows, anyone who has worked in a shopping market knows what "facing off" is. Its a pain in the hole, pointless and i hated it.

Manager: Face off that isle.

I face off some shít and condsider a job well done

Manager: That looks crap, do it again.

Me: I am in my bollix doing it again, you do it.

Manager: I think you dont care about this job, am i correct?

Me: You think I dont care about working in a tesco for feck all money? doing crap like facing off and packing tampons on shelves? you are right, i hate it...

Manager: do you want to leave.

I then grabbed me coat and left smiling.

I fúcking hate tesco. My heart goes out to those of you that work there (and hate it).

You're not a female in her fifties and on the X Factor now?
    That would make a great NOTW story....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Trekmad wrote: »
    I get you - "I'm here to make money not to make friends"

I have my friends out side of work.
    Money and status is what I want from 8-4.

Work is work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Never Fired, but did leave with great satisfaction one day.

Working in large supermarket during my late teens, which supported my first few years in college. I was typically on the grocery shop floor, packing shelves and pretty much got on with absolutely everyone including the managers all the time. However, one day that changed...

One of the soundest managers we had, all of a sudden just starting picking on me for no apparent reason. The jobs I did well, were somehow no longer good enough and he started awarding me some of the worst jobs in the place. E.g. in the stock room the garbage compressor broke, so he would leave me in charge of managing all the rubbish, including climbing in to the compressor on occasion to sort things out (which I'm positive wasn't legal). The rubbish contained everything from cardboard boxes to maggots and fish heads. When he gave me these jobs he did so with a smirk on his face like he knew he was being unreasonable but he was bullying me. I knew it, so before long I decided I can't afford to leave (financially), so I'm looking elsewhere for another job. At the time in college I was doing my undergrad degree in Software Development and was doing quite well. I spoke with a member of faculty who put me in touch with an agency that was developing websites. I got the job.

Following weekend I marched back in to work with my uniform on & a change of clothes in my bag, dropped my letter of resignation in to HR & clocked in as usual. I wanted to hang around that evening for just the right moment to confront your man. Within hours he had a new list of degrading requests for me to action, to which I abruptly replied with a smile on my face, "Are you finished?". He hadn't a clue what was coming next. I said "I don't know who's been pi$$ing in your cornflakes but I am a hard worker, and you personally have been killing any motivation I have to continue around here. You have been clearly picking on me and I have had enough of it. You must assume that I have no other options.". He tried to interject and I said "I couldn't care less what you have to say, because I don't have to listen to you any more, here's my notice, and I've already informed HR of how you played a such a part in my decision to leave".

He simply looked stunned and said "I'm sorry". I told him that it doesn't matter if he's sorry or not. He asked me how long had I been working for the company and that it was a shame that I was leaving. I reminded him that it was solely his behavior that motivated me to look elsewhere and to cut the crap before others do the same.

Later when I initially read the words "So long and thanks for all the fish", I wondered had Douglas Adams worked for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

No, but have been let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I always find it stupid that Alan Sugar on the apprentice fires people who don't actually work for him.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Never fired but walked out of McDonalds in Limerick when I was in collage.

I worked for 9 days over 3 weeks, my payroll details were lost twice and I couldn't see myself getting paid anytime soon so I left.

In the end after a few weeks of still not getting paid, I went in one night and stood on the stairs facing all customers and asked if anyone thought it was wrong for staff not to get paid for work they had done, could they please tell the manager who was serving on tills.

Got paid from the till there and then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement