Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Logged off work Friday a little later than planned. Shoes on and start the weekend's running.

Easy Hour 7.30M @ 8:21

Legs not in the mood. They rarely are after a rest day. Just had total time showing on the Garmin and the plan was to run for an hour. Stuck largely to trail. Into the Park at Islandbridge and head up the gully to the Playing Fields, stay on the grass and run out to Furze. Then cross Chesterfield for a loop around the Visitor Centre before descending past Aras and through the Polos. Pace picking up near the end as the legs begin to loosen.

As soon as I stop and head inside my left knee protests again. Zero feedback during run, but sharp twinges when I put weight on it as I climb up steps and stairs. A little bit of concern now ahead of tomorrow's planned sub 19:00 5K.

5K Pride Run (18:58 on watch, 18:59 on Strava)

I was invited by a friend to run and photo a virtual Pride 5K for her Maryland based club. Junior outforarun designed a t-shirt for me and I headed out Saturday morning for this one. I have no stomach for an all out TT and opt for a sub 19:00 run. I expected this to be tough but manageable. Instead I was lucky to scrape home just under 19:00, a Central Governor masterclass. I ran this clockwise around the Playing Fields, starting at the bottom of Acres. 5K is around 100ms shy of two full laps.

Target pace is 3:47 [6:05], if I felt very strong after 4K I'd allow myself try push a little. The first K was promising and I was running a little faster than target. I only had average pace showing on the watch and whenever I glanced I saw either 3:44 or 3:45 showing. Effort felt about right. The second K continued in the same vein. Up Acres and into the second lap and I'm noticing an increase in the effort levels, 3:46 makes an appearance on the Garmin. Lungs aren't too bad but the legs are tiring. I'm working on K3. Part of me happy now that I didn't turn-up for the 3K TT last weekend on the Polos.

The last 1500ms are tough. I see 3:47 showing as I turn down toward The Fort for the second time. Wind is against me, but it's not very strong. I feel like I'm slowing, I am slowing. Legs are feeling heavier and heavier. Last K and I daren't look at the watch. I'm not convinced I'll go sub 19:00. I try push but the engine and legs aren't responding. I switch the view on the Garmin to see how far I've left to run. Another 600m. This feels like the longest 600m I've run in a long time. Feel flat. I try to push over the last 200 or so, very conscious that every second counts. Watch sounds the end of the 5K session. I glance and see 18:58 showing.

For the first time in a long while I feel like I'm going to be sick. It passes quickly. Happy to have gone under 19:00, but hard to be too elated at the effort levels required. I take a photo to send to MCRR. Cotton t-shirt stuck to me. The weather stats show a humidity reading of 92%, I like to think that this is partially responsible for the last 2K of treacle running. Also I've been targeting 2K and 1M TTs over the last while, so I guess I've lost some of the endurance required for 5K distance.

Funny how 6:14 pace for over 5 miles felt 'comfortable' only a few weeks ago, yet 6:07 pace had me in the red for 3.1 miles this morning.

A little less optimistic now ahead of next Saturday's 10K TT. At least the knee behaved ok, both during and after the run.

Splits tell the story: 3:43, 3:46. 3:46, 3:47, 3:53. The last split is 38:50 10K pace.

Long Run 18 Miles

Longest run of the year. An out and back to Dun Laoighaire. Start running at 8:40am and head straight into town, onto Pearse Street and straight to Irishtown. Onto Sandymount Strand a little over 4 miles into the run. Weather isn't great this morning. Grey and white skies. Occasionally I'm buffered my some strong crosswinds. I've a worrying feeling that when I turn around for the return leg it'll be into a headwind. Legs are ok but not super light, they are probably still processing Saturday morning's efforts. Not too many people out and about. More runners than walkers.

Sky getting darker the further south I go. I could get soaked here. Pier draws into view and soon enough I'm on my last mile before the halfway point. Nine miles sound between the 2 piers. Stop for a minute or two to take a photo at the turn around point. Then set off for home.

As I feared, I'm immediately battered by a headwind. Great it's going to be a long return journey. Grimace and lean. I don't look at the watch but I listen for the beeps, 8 more beeps and I'm home, 7 more beeps and I'm home, that's my mantra. Once I get back to Sandymount and start curving in toward Irishtown and back toward town the wind becomes less of a factor.

Legs are good though. No obvious fatigue setting in. I could have run 20 this morning if needed. All the same I'm happy to finish this one.

Not decided yet how I'll work the long runs. I don't expect to be lining up for a marathon until late 2021 (fingers crossed), but I do want to become familiar with 2 hour plus runs. Don't want to run any 20s yet though. I may just cycle between 14/16/18 for the next while. Maybe every second one with faster bits thrown in to keep things interesting. I'll see.

Focus now shifts to 10K TT (PB attempt) next Saturday. I think the legs would be happier to avoid sessions between now and then. At most I will run 1 or 2 laps of the Polo Ground Road Loop at 10K pace on Wednesday, but main aim is to have fresh legs come Saturday morning.

Total today 18.01M @ 7:56

Monday Recovery 5K

Knees a bit grumpy Monday evening but otherwise all ok following a fairly demanding weekend's running. No twinges from the left knee after the run.

Kept this short and very slow. A repeat of last Tuesday's visit to the Memorial Gardens and my Lockdown Loop. This is the first Monday in a long while that I don't find myself running by the Fort.

Total 3.11M @ 9:47

Wednesday Rehearsal of first third of 10K

The plan for next Saturday is 6 laps of the Polo Road Loop. I want to target a negative split. My thinking is to have only average pace showing on the Garmin. After the first lap I want average pace to read 3:54, then I'll give myself 2 laps to bring the average down to 3:53. After lap 5 I hope to have 3:52 showing. And then I'll see what I have left in the legs for an assault on lap 6. Easy to type.

Tonight I rehearsed the opening two laps. I hit my marks, 3:54 showing after lap 1, and 3:53 already showing after lap 2. Effort levels were just a little higher than I'd have liked (I need to refind the form of that 5 lap tempo I ran here at the start of June). Without a doubt the Lords Walk drag is going to be physically and mentally tough on Saturday. Six times I'll have to face it and ensure it doesn't demoralize me. To compensate I will get 6 Chesterfield Descents to help take stock and regroup.

I'm treating next Saturday's run more as a PB attempt rather than an all out gut busting TT effort. I think if it were a race on Saturday I'd bet on myself logging a PB, and I'd hope to be challenging for a sub 38. But a solo TT is a different beast, even money that I'll PB. Headwinds on Saturday morning and all bets are off.

Some feedback from left knee after the run again. Not as sore as last week. If it doesn't fix itself soon I may have to take a step-back week and give it a chance to sort itself out.

2.99M @ 9:02
    2.06M @ 6:15 [3:53]
    3.17M @ 8:25

Total 8.24M @ 8:05

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Wont be fun waking up on Saturday morning realising that those TT nightmares you just had are actually a reality!!

Thursday Easy 9.08M @ 8:16

Started to come to the realization on Thursday evening that I probably need to take a break. Legs felt like concrete for the opening 3 or 4 miles. I ran Islandbridge to Chapelizod and up Knockmaroon to Castleknock. I swung right and entered the Park via Castleknock Gate. Up until now the knees had been quiet, but on the descent down Chesterfield they started to protest, mostly the left knee but the right knee was also unhappy. Started feeling apprehensive about the next footfall. If I stop for lights etc, then the first few steps to resume running are sore.

Oddly they were ok on steps and stairs afterwards.

Checked on Strava after this and realise that last Sunday I completed my 33rd consecutive week of 40+ miles, 15 weeks saw me break 50. The weeks breakdown as follows:

40-45M = 13 weeks
    45-50M = 05 weeks
    50-55M = 14 weeks
    55-60M = 01 week

Each week I ran two sessions. Of late I've run 7 short, but all out TTs. I think the body needs a rest. Legs are stiff, knees are protesting, and one toenail is hanging on by magic.

But first, can I make it over one last hurdle, this Saturday's 10K TT (Garmin PB attempt) ......

Easy 4.14M @ 8:12

Last night I ran to the GAA pitches by the Memorial Gardens. I wanted to run on grass this evening and give the knees some respite. People playing volley-ball, and some playing badminton and me lapping. Round and round until I saw 3.5 miles on the Garmin and then I head for home. After 2 miles tonight there were some light twinges from the left knee, otherwise it was ok. It was worse the previous Friday on the eve of a sub 19:00 5K. On that 5K I had no problems with either knee, my hope was that I would be able to same for this week's 10K.

Boards 10K TT (and Garmin PB Attempt) :(:(

Got decent enough sleep last night. Don't feel hugely apprehensive ahead of this. If it was a 10K race I'd be targeting 37:XX and feeling very anxious. Instead I was fairly confident that I could hit a PB of 38:37 or faster, I was going to adopt a negative split strategy so I wasn't expecting huge amounts of discomfort over the opening half. I took confidence from the 5 mile tempo run on the same loop just one month ago where 6:14 pace felt 'comfortable' and where I had to actively stop myself from pushing on to 10K on the day. My concern is largely around my knees.

Slow warm-up from home to the Polo Grounds. Right near the end a light tweak from the left knee, otherwise no feedback. It's humid and for around 30 seconds some sort of sunlight managed to break through and it felt very hot. Conditions weren't great, there was slight breeze blowing and some very light drizzle in the air.

I pace a little behind the Pavilion, not nearly as nervous as I was ahead of the 1M TT. Call up my standalone 10K workout on the watch. Trot up to my start line and hit go.

Half a twinge from the left knee in the first 50m and then nothing. No feedback from either knee. I turn onto Chesterfield for the first time. I have only average pace showing. I want to finish the first of the scheduled 6 laps with 3:54 [6:16] pace showing. On Chesterfield it reads 3:50 at first, I apply the brakes and by the time I turn onto Lords Walk 3:52 is showing.

My first ascent of Lords Walk of the morning. It doesn't feel too bad. Near the top I glance at the Garmin and I'm surprised and happy to see 3:51 [6:12] pace is showing. I need to slow up. I pass behind the Pavilion ahead of schedule. I'm feeling optimistic. I decide to look at the Garmin only at the end of each lap and try run on effort. But I do tell myself not to push over the next two laps, don't fret over them, if I manage the next couple of laps conservatively then I could be setting myself up for a strong finish. I'm enjoying this.

As I approach the turn for Chesterfield I can feel a growing sharp sensation on the outside below my left knee. Not painful as such but sharp none-the-less. Feels like one of those random things that will likely pass inside 200m. I start the descent down Chesterfield, the sensation is not passing, in fact I can now feel it in the muscles above the knee as well. The knee itself is fine.

I run a while longer dropping the pace a bit. The sensation persists. I start a discourse with myself:

"This is a warning, don't be stupid pull up"
    "It's not hugely sore, let's give it until Lords Walk"
    "You don't want to regret this"
    "Maybe the ascent will sort it out, maybe it'll pass after another 100m"
    "This is a new sensation, you know you need a break, don't take chances with it."

I turn onto Lords Walk for the second time. The sensation persists. After 10 more meters I stop.

It's lap 2 of 6 laps at 10K PB pace, the risk is too great. If it was late in lap 5 or 6 I might have taken the risk, but I'm not prepared to take it on lap 2. The fact that I do not instantly regret DNF'ing tells me I made the right decision.

If I have a regret it's that I shouldn't have started in the first place. I did believe that it would play out like last weekend's 5K and that the knees would behave and that I could then step back for 2 weeks and let the legs recover. But instead it looks like this morning's 10K TT was the one-run-too-many.

I walked home from the Polo Loop, chatted with one of the Donore Guys as he made his way to their session.

As I type there is a slight tightness/soreness in the muscles above and behind the left knee, probably the hammer. The knee itself feels fine as do the muscles below the knee. There was no 'ouch, something has torn' moment like last year's right hammer tear.

Ok next week no running. The week after some light running. And then we'll see. In the meantime gentle stretching and gentle strength exercises, provided they don't provoke any pain. Might even dust down the roller.

As for the TT. Hopefully this sorts itself out during July and I'll schedule a second attempt in August. Feels like unfinished business now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Welcome to the lockdown over training club, it sucks, get well soon

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Welcome to the lockdown over training club, it sucks, get well soon

Nail on the head I think. How obvious some things are when you just step back a little. No down weeks for for almost 8 months, what was I thinking!

8 Days of No Running

The lesson learned from this current injury is that I need to start factoring in down weeks. Maybe one down week for every six weeks of training. By down week I mean reduced mileage, only easy running, and forgiving surfaces.
    If I had done this since the start of the year then ahead of this TT I would have had 4 down weeks under the belt, nearly a full month.

This week I've been doing hammer and quad stretches and strengthening work, plus some sessions on the roller. Overall the left hammer now feels fine, there was some slight sensation at the start of the week. Cycled a little yesterday and I had zero feedback. Did a short hike today, the hammers were fine, but the left knee did give some feedback on heavy downhills.

Plan is for a week of gentle running now, maybe maximum 30 miles. Then move up to 40 miles the week after, and if I feel ok I'll join the Donore Saturday session at the end of that week (and expect to be back of the pack by a bit).

Easy 5K mostly on grass is the plan for tomorrow. Fingers-crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

outforarun wrote: »
    Nail on the head I think. How obvious some things are when you just step back a little. No down weeks for for almost 8 months, what was I thinking!

I know man, reading back my log i was doing 7 day weeks just to stay sane in lockdown, you feel invincible when thing's are going great. I listened to this earlier, magnuss discussing our want to always do more/work harder when we don't need to

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/episode-111-top-mistakes-highly-motivated-athletes/id961516002?i=1000478008018

[QUOTE=IvoryTower;114012432https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/episode-111-top-mistakes-highly-motivated-athletes/id961516002?i=1000478008018[/QUOTE]

Thanks will give this a listen while on the roller.

• Advertisement

First Run Back.

Total 3.38M @ 8:38

The Good.
    Best news was the complete lack of feedback feom either hammer. I was concerned that the left hammer would complain or provide some feedback, instead it was 100% ok. Also post run both knees did not protest when I climbed steps and stairs.

The Bad.
    Left knee was silent for the first 400m and then, first twinges. I ran most of this short run on grass. It would twinge slightly a few times as I lapped the GAA fields. Enough to ensure the whole run was completed in a state of apprehension about what the next footfall would bring.
    The only consolation is that when it did twinge it wasn't as strong as before this rest week.

I'll do a roller and strenghtening session this afternoon (off work this week) and head out later for some more easy running.

Second Run Back

That was better. I wasn't looking forward to today's run. I was fully expecting another disappointing and unenjoyable half hour. I also was im two minds as to whether I should or shouldn't run. Instead the run went much better than expected. Glad I went out. Reluctant pessimism from last night has been replaced with cautious optimism.

Yesterday evening after around 400m the knee started to twinge. This evening I was hoping at least to get past 400m without feedback. I did. After around 600m though I had to stop at traffic lights, the restart brought the evening's first twinge.

I waited and waited for the next twinge to arrive there were a few tiny tiny bits of feedback, but it wasn't until just shy of three miles on a descent of Military Road did a second solitary twinge arrive. And that was it. No other feedback. Last night the knee was much noiser, complaining on pretty much every lap of the Memorial Garden GAA pitches. Tonight I managed a full lap of the Playing Fields (on grass) in the Park without significant feedback.

Earlier in the day I spent more time on the roller. Worked the hammers but to be honest there aren't too many sore points. I switched instead to the calves and ouch!! These brought up a sweat. I also turned over and worked the quads, more sweat. Stretched calves before going out for run and they felt very stiff.

I'll spend more time tomorrow on the calves and quads and repeat today's run.

Total 4.06M @ 8:32

Third Run Back

Still healing. Ran a repeat of Tuesday evening's run. Again I managed to run feedback free until the first traffic light restart. This time though the twinge was lighter than Tuesday. Next twinge came climbing the step path on Military Road that brings you up to the south-east corner of the playing fields. Probably lasted three strides, but not very strong. One or two more very light twinges as I lap the playing fields. Nothing on the Military Road descent this evening.

Overall I feel I'm more or less where I was Tuesday evening. Still apprehensive about what the next footfall will bring.

I'm becoming more disciplined with the roller. Aiming for 4 or 5 sessions a week. I'm currently spending 2 mins per calve (the most tender muscle), 3 mins per hammer (the least tender), 2 mins per quad, fairly tender plus these double up as a plank of sorts so sweat is guaranteed. Then 2 mins per glute, relaxing. Some squats thrown in after the roller session because they feel good.

Patience.

Total 4.03M @ 8:14

Sidelined :(

Walked over to the Playing Fields on Friday morning. Accompanied by junior outforarun on her bike. Plan was for 4 easy laps, all on grass.

Lap 1 - a light twinge from the left knee after around 500m, then the rest of the lap is fine.

Lap 2 - a hint of a twinge once or twice.

Lap 3 - nothing, knee providing no feedback and legs feeling good.

Lap 4 - fine until I near the top of Acres then I can feel a very similar sensation to the one I felt during the aborted 10K TT. I keep running for around 500m but again it shows no sign of fading. I stop for a few seconds, attempt a cautious restart, at which point the leg protests and it's sore. I stop immediately.

Walk, tenderly, home. Booked appointment with physio for next Wednesday.

Don't know what to think about this one. I was so focussed on the knees, all week nothing suggested that there was any muscle/tendon issue, in fact aside from my knees everything felt good. I wasn't speeding (but was slowly speeding up) on Friday when the sensation arrived.

My best guess? Overtraining (33 weeks straight without a recovery week :rolleyes: ) finally caught up with me ahead of and during the 10K. It manifested itself in two ways: twinges from both knees, and then on the 10K TT a slight hamstring pull. The hamstring appeared to be very minor and within 48 hours I could feel no ill effects from it, a week later and three short and easy runs later the hammer had not complained at all, I was relieved and my focus was solely on the knees (left in particular). I'd also stretched and rolled the hammers and they felt 100% ok.

I guess the hammer was still on edge and despite a gentle return to running, I'd returned too soon, provoking a second, more serious strain.

I went to buy some veg this morning, around 500ms to the nearest shop. The left leg was tender and I couldn't walk at normal pace, slight limp. I write hammer, but I'm not 100% sure it's the hammer or just the hammer, potentially it could be a tendon near the back knee. I guess I'll find out Wednesday.

This feels different to last year's right hammer issue (grade 1 tear). Last year's wasn't sharp and was duller, last year's came on with a single stretched stride but I was able to keep running. This one came on gradually and build up until I couldn't keep running.

Going to stay away from Google. I expect to not be running again for probably 3 weeks, and then hopefully will start a gradual easy return. Can't see myself running anything in anger until October. I'd settle for that now.

Will check in here again Wednesday evening.

Physio Visit #1

Busy week at work so updating later than planned. So with a degree of trepidation I was back on the physio table last Wednesday evening. Gave the physio a potted history of recent events:
    • 30+ weeks of approx 45/50 miles a week and two sessions a week - no down weeks
    • some knee feedback near end of June, both knees
    • 10K TT on 4 July a run too far - pull up with left leg muscle feedback (upper calve and lower hamstring my best guess)
    • 8 day break with stretch/strength/rolling
    • 3 short easy runs, still some knee feedback, mostly left knee, no muscle feedback
    • 17 July easy run, very very little knee feedback - but muscle feedback returns - sharper than before

I was braced for some painful feedback on the table but instead it wasn't too bad, certainly not as bad as last year's first physio visits for the right hammer.

The diagnosis - minor grade 1 tear to left hamstring, brought on by overuse (surprise!) and assisted by very tight calves.

I discover that the calf muscle extends up beyond the knee. In my mind that ties in nicely with my memory of the muscle sensation starting below the knee before working its way up to the hammer.

I'm relieved. He reckons 2 or 3 weeks before I can return to running. I'll opt on the side of caution and wait for three weeks - my next planned run will be on 12 August.

I'll lose fitness definitely and gain some weight probably. But a break might not be a bad thing. Regroup, reassess etc. Spend August on easy running then build back up to where I was through September, October, November. Pencil in a second attempt at a 10K TT PB in December. Touch wood that recovery goes to plan.

For now - more stretching, strength and rolling.

June Review

Casting my mind back to June, seems a long time ago.

Mileage was back up as I started to log 50+ mile weeks again. Sidelined now I've sifted through Strava and the log here to see if I can trace the origins of my current injury. There was no muscle pain or discomfort during June, but in the second half of the month both knees, but in particular the left knee, started to complain.
    • On Friday 19 June my right knee twinged a bit during a descent of Chesterfield. This was two days after a set of 10x600s on the Polo Grounds Road Loop.
    • The following Wednesday 24 June my left knee was painful going up and down steps after a Moneghetti session on the Polo Grounds.
    • Friday 26 June, more left knee twinges while climbing steps after an easy run.
    • Monday 29 June, knees a little grumpy after a tough weekend.

I think whatever the original source of the injury may have been, that Moneghetti session on 24 June definitely aggravated it.

Logged some very encouraging runs in June and I felt I was in a good place fitness wise. Early in the month I ran a 5.15M tempo at 6:15 pace and I felt very strong and comfortable. I had to actively stop myself from continuing to 10K.

Ten days later I ran just shy of 9 miles of hilly XC around the Magazine Fort and gullies at 6:33 pace. This was faster and far more comfortable than the 6 miles of the Faugh-a-Ballagh Cup in February.

I ran a 16 Mile Progression with each mile run faster than the previous: 8:4X pace, 8:3X pace, 8:2X, and so on, with mile 16 completed at 6:1X pace. Had to work over the last 3 or 4 miles but never doubted I'd hit my targets.

The last weekend of June I targeted a sub 19:00 solo 5K around the Playing Fields as part of a Pride run for a mate's club in Maryland. Felt comfortable for the first 3K but started to fade over the last 2K and really had to work to just sneak under with an 18:59. Followed this less than 24 hours later with an 18 miler, down and back to Dun Laoghaire. Legs felt good on this one, tired but good.

Also managed a 12x400 hill session on the Polos at the start of June, a headwind on the final 120m of each ascent added some spice to this one.

So all told I felt I was putting in some strong performances in June. Planned to get the boards 10K TT out of the way at the start of July, take a down week or maybe two to give the knees a rest and then resume group sessions with the guys at Donore.

Best laid plans etc....

Month | Monthly Miles | Daily mileage for month | Weekly Mileage for month | Daily mileage for year | Weekly mileage for year | Predicted yearly mileage
    January | 203.31 | 6.56 | 45.91 | 6.56 | 45.91 | 2400
    February | 226.40 | 7.81 | 54.65 | 7.16 | 50.13 | 2621
    March | 222.74 | 7.19 | 50.30 | 7.17 | 50.19 | 2624
    April | 170.06 | 5.67 | 39.68 | 6.80 | 47.58 | 2488
    May | 201.37 | 6.50 | 45.47 | 6.74 | 47.15 | 2465
    June | 209.75 | 6.99 | 48.94 | 6.78 | 47.45 | 2481
    July | | | | | |
    August | | | | | |
    September | | | | | |
    October | | | | | |
    November | | | | | |
    December | | | | | |

Physio Visit #2

Last Tuesday I was back in the physio's. Focus was on the quads this evening. Single knee quad stretches brought out a sweat. Up on the table and the physio bullied the quads quite a lot. Not pleasant but they felt good afterwards.

To be honest both hammers feel 100% ok. But they also felt 100% ok ahead of my last run. I don't trust them. And I know I will be very apprehensive on my first runs back. Last year's hammer injury always provided feedback and I could track gradual improvement. This year's injury is harder to track. Maybe this is the difference between an over-stretch (last year) and an over-use (this year).

I mentioned my left knee to the physio because this is still the only thing providing feedback, it occasionally protests when going downstairs. Physio doesn't seem too concerned. Fingers crossed it'll be ok.

My limp is completely gone and I can walk and walk long without issue. On Monday I was off and I covered over 10 miles across the day. All week I've been dropping or collecting junior outforarun from a summer-camp and this involves a 15min cycle and 40min walk. Legs have been fine for all of this. I've also started cycling to and from the physio.

The novelty of not running is starting to wear off now. The itch to lace up is getting stronger and stronger. Physio reckons I should be good to resume from next weekend.

Visit number 3 is next Tuesday.

Physio Visit #3

Cycled to and from the physio earlier this evening.

First run back will be Saturday.

A very easy affair: 10x(1 min run +1 min walk). Then, all going well, for the first week it will be a 20min effort every other day, with more run time in each effort, 2min run + 1 min walk etc. Week 2 I should hopefully be able to drop the walking and slowing build up the distance: 3K run, 4K run, 5K run etc. Week after that I can start to focus on weekly mileage and build that up. Physio reckons in 4 to 5 weeks I should be back up to standard mileage.

I'm happy that there is zero negative feedback from the hammer during the physio session, and during the week. Tiny bit of left knee feedback this evening just half a second on one of the heavier equipments.

During the week also, the only feedback is from the left knee, usually going downstairs. Nothing terrible and doesn't last long, but enough to let me know it's still healing.

I will be so anxious on my first run back. I expect some knee feedback. I asked if knee feedback is a warning that the hammer could pull again, but the answer was vague. Cannot say for certain that the hammer and knee are directly linked (in terms of this injury) or if both are following their own separate recovery path.

Cycled to and from Dollymount on Monday, round trip of about 16 miles. Felt ok.

Long wait now till Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

outforarun wrote: »
    Sidelined :(

oh No - hope you recover well.
    Hate to see this.

oh No - hope you recover well.
    Hate to see this.

Thanks - laced up for the first time in 3 weeks this morning. Promising first steps back. Just need to be patient now. Hopefully hopefully on the mend.

• Advertisement

Return from Injury - Run 1

The physio recommended a cautious re-entry, but expects me to be back to regular mileage in 4 to 5 weeks. I really hope he's right. He said for the first week I should run every second day, adopting a run-walk approach, increasing the run durations with each run. First run should be 1min walk then 1min run. The second run could be 1min walk then 2min run, etc, etc.

Nervous this morning when I stepped outside for my first running in 3 weeks. I'd still been getting occasional feedback from the left knee on descending stairs, so I was ready for and expecting some left knee feedback when running, and if the knee is protesting does that mean I'll tweak the hammer again?

Instead I had zero feedback from the knee on this short easy run. That's the biggest positive from this morning. I was braced for the knee to protest at the start of each run section, like it did at traffic lights etc back at end of June and in July. But the restarts were also fine.

The hammer behaved; though I don't expect it to give me any warning and I just have to trust that the rest and rehab work has/is working to heal it sufficiently.

Even though it was just 10x1min of running - it felt good to be out in the morning, in the sun, in my runners.

Return from Injury - Run 2

7x(1min walk + 2min run)

Mixed emotions today. The positive:
    • very little feedback from left knee
    • no feedback from hammer

the negative
    • left knee grumpy when walking after run

My knee is dictating my mood at the moment.

I was in Cork these last two days. Walked quite a bit around Fota. The longer I go without feeling something from my left knee the better my mood, then when the knee does protest (almost always on steps, mostly when descending) and sometimes on the flat after having navigated steps, my mood drops again.

Where we stayed there there were 4 flights of stairs to tackle from lobby to bedroom. This may have put to much pressure on the knee. As I write I'm wondering why I didn't take the lift, I guess normally I just instinctively take the stairs I never think to take the lift. I've decided this evening that for a while I should avoid steps or use the bannister as support and not have my left leg take all my weight on steps, have just my right leg do the hard work.

This afternoon I laced up again. Opted to wear a knee support to give me some extra mental confidence. Over the first few strides of the first 2 minute run slot I could feel some left knee feedback, but it faded quickly. The rest of the run it was fine (including the walk to run transitions) apart from one restart after a long traffic light stop.

Popped to the shop after run and knee protested a bit.

Mentally I'm trying to believe that the hammer is healing fine and that it will respond well as I slowly crank up the mileage. The knee is my concern and I just have to hope that it improves run by run. I also try to take some consolation from the fact that the right knee has been silent for some time now, maybe the left knee is just taking a while longer to follow suit.

I hate being injured.

Return from Injury - Run 3

5x(1min walk + 3min run)

Out Wednesday afternoon for this one. I deliberately avoided traffic lights and ran my lock-down loop. Knee support on. This was probably my best run back so far. No feedback from the left leg, neither from hammer nor knee. I'd be happier if it wasn't for the fact that outside of my run the left knee is still providing some feedback. Wore a compression sleeve on my knee for 24 hours to see if it helps, at first it felt like it was helping but then it just became irritating.

Return from Injury - Run 4

4x(1min walk + 4min run)

Not as good as Wednesday. On one downhill stride the left knee twinged. Otherwise it behaved, not the end of the world. During the run I wasn't 100% sure but at points I thought I could feel a presence from the left hammer. I'm paranoid that that tingling zing sensation will return out of the blue and bring me to a halt like it did on 4 July and again on 17 July.

Right now as I type I can feel a faint ache from the left hammer. Not entirely dissimilar to what I used feel last year from the right hammer.

Sunday will be the last run of this easy-tester week. The plan is to try run without walk breaks next week. My idea is to target a 20 mile week. Consisting of easy runs of increasing duration: 3K, 5K, 4M, 5M and a 10K next Sunday.

Then increase mileage slowing week by week: 25M, 30M, 35M, 40M, 45M and 50M. That would represent a return to full mileage around 2 weeks later than anticipated by the physio. Introducing some faster (marathon paced) miles from the 40M week onwards. That's the plan anyway.

Spent time on the roller last night: calves (tight), hammers (fine), quads (fairly tight), glutes (fine). And I'm continuing with various stretches and strengthening work.

Sunday 4x(1min walk + 5min run)

A little concerned ahead of this one. Spent the weekend in Waterford. Walked quite a bit and completed a slow 46K cycle. The cycle went well and I had zero feedback from the knee and hammer. Makes me think I should cycle a bit more as a way of keeping the quads in good condition. But around Waterford the left leg was providing occasional feedback, sometimes a twinge from the knee, sometimes an ache in or near the hammer.

This would be the final walk/run session. The left knee wasn't too happy over the opening 10m of run, and provided some mild feedback. It gave a sharp twinge instead on the next walk to run transition. I was then worried and tense ahead of the final two transitions, but they went ok.

Tuesday Easy 3K

My longest run in a month!!

Happy to leave the walk/runs behind. I don't enjoy the transitions, maybe provoking a reaction from the knee is something better avoided. I've been letting my right leg do all the work on stairs at the moment, precisely to avoid provoking the left knee.

The run goes well. Earlier in the day I was rushing to collect junior outforarun from a 'summer' group and I could feel something similar to the 'zing' I felt back in July. Origin seemed like top of the tibia (where the IT band is attached?). Part of me was anticipating another relapse on this run, I was braced for the worst. But the leg behaved, a tiny bit of left knee feedback, nothing from the hammer, no relapse.

Wednesday Easy 5K

Left calf was stiff this afternoon.

I find this injury more difficult to deal with than last year's injury. Last year I over-stretched a stride, felt a tweak in the hamstring, an ache settled in, physio confirmed hammer tear, rehab, re-entry, gradually the ache disappeared and confidence returned. Easy.

This year instead the injury feels like a moving target. I'm not even entirely convinced it is just one injury. Knee, calf, hammer, maybe IT band all seem to be unhappy at some point. Could I have mistaken an ache in the IT band as an ache in the hammer and led the physio down the wrong path? Top of tibia, sensation moving from below knee to up above knee, and knee pain involved. Ticks a lot of IT band boxes. Might float the idea to the physio.

I've been recommended a physical therapist (and Ireland triathlete) who I may visit however the leg evolves over the next week or two. Beforehand I have what may be a final physio visit next week.

Today's 5K? All told it went well. Left calf stiff beforehand, left calf stiff afterward. But during the run only some very mild left knee feedback on 2 or 3 strides. Mentally I wasn't relaxed, expecting the leg to 'zing' again. It'll take some time to build up confidence.

A 4 miler planned for tomorrow, then a day off before trying for 5M and 10K over the weekend.

I've also decided that really there's no need to return to 50M a week. I can (touch-wood) build slowly back up to 40M a week then start re-introducing some quality running. Hold it at 40M to the end of the year and then move back to 50M next year when hopefully I can start targeting DCM again.

Been rolling, stretching and hot-water-bottling over the last days.

Wednesday evening, Thursday and most of Friday the left leg was very very grumpy. The whole leg. Stiff and achy upper calf, heavy lower hamstring. Most of the back of the knee was achy. And if that wasn't enough I was starting to get an odd tingling sensation in the space between my big toe and its neighbour.

I suspect the leg may not have liked the heat application, I only applied heat to the left leg and only to the upper calf, back of knee, lower hamstring area. I skipped the heat the last couple of nights and the leg is starting to feel half human again. Coincidence? Not sure, but I've shelved the hot water bottle for now.

Thursday 4M Easy

Getting more anxious now as I up the distance. Oddly when running all of the above left leg noise seems to disappear. The left knee instead is the only dissenting voice. On 3 or 4 strides it provides some mild to moderate feedback. The most annoying thing about this is that it introduces an anxiety into my stride, I'm braced for the next angry footfall and I have to make a conscious effort to try to relax and keep my stride normal.

All the time I'm also paranoid, waiting for the 'zing' to appear from the top of the tibia and work its way up.

These are short runs but they are mentally tricky and not enjoyable.

Saturday 5M Easy

Rest day yesterday. This is a big weekend. Low mileage but two key runs planned. A 5 miler and a 10K. If I can get through these two runs then I'll have navigated week 2 of rehab and will have completed the first week of a gradual climb back to 40M weekly mileage.

I opted for my doorstep 5 mile loop. I carried cash with me just in case I find myself hobbling 2 miles away from home and needing a taxi. The left leg felt better today ahead of the run and once I started running it was mostly fine. A few mild protests from the left knee. Again I'm not relaxed, over analysing every sensation coming from the left leg. Kilmainham to Inchicore to Chapelizod, over the bridge and head back toward Heuston. The knee is happier along the mostly flat Chapelizod Road.

At Heuston I have to stop for traffic lights. on the restart I have several strides of mild protest from the left knee. But it passes even though I'm ascending along the Luas tracks up Steeven's Lane.

The last time I tried for 5 miles, back on 17 July, I pulled up injured and was limping for 24 hours. Today I survived the 5th mile.

Touchwood, touchwood, touchwood, there is some optimism starting to creep in. Rolled again tonight and the left leg feels mostly ok. The left knee is also happier on steps now.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow's 10K.

Sunday Easy 10K

The week had been building up to this. Up earlyish, stretch hammers and calves. Cross my fingers and head out. A clean start without left-knee protest. I head for the Memorial Gardens and follow the tow path to Chapelizod. So far so good. I enter the Park at Chapelizod Gate. My first time running in the park since 17 July.

Follow the S-Bends back to Islandbridge. Home via a detour through Clancy Quay.

All in all the run went well. Probably my best run since being sidelined. I even caught myself not thinking about the knee on occasion. It provided some mild feedback on 2 or 3 strides. I could feel a presence in the left hammer, but not an entirely unwelcome one. Felt a bit like the right hammer when it was healing last year. I'd far prefer that the hammer provides some feedback that I can monitor then staying quiet before protesting out of the blue.

That's 20 miles for the week. Overall a better week than the uncomfortable stop-start run-walk week. Will push on to 25 miles next week.

Tuesday 5K Easy

A wet windy and slightly chilly lunchtime run. I'm waiting for the first run since late June that doesn't provide some left-knee protest. It wasn't this one. Another 2 or 3 mild to moderate twinges. I 'enjoy' my runs until the first twinge arrives, then I don't really enjoy the rest of the run as I'm anticipating more feedback, will it be this stride, that kerb, this turn, this climb etc.

Went to the physio again. Final visit for now. He seems happy with my progress, and is happy for me to continue increasing the mileage by 5 miles a week. He did some soft tissue massage on my left calf and the difference before and after was remarkable. Before I could find a stretch instantly in the calf, afterwards I had to lean much further before finding one.

Today Easy 5 Miles

Mile 1 from home to the start of Sarsfield Road - no left knee feedback. Mile 2 from Sarsfield Road to Chapelizod Bridge - no left knee feedback. Could this be the run? Mile 3 from Chapelizod Bridge to the Garda Rowing Club - left knee feedback, mild to moderate on 2 or 3 strides. Hammer is also a bit tight, but not concerning. On the final mile I head up Steeven's Lane and turn right onto Bow Lane. Ouch, moderate left knee feedback as the road descends. Not just for 2 or 3 strides but for every second stride or so for 200 metres.

I guess I need to expect to take one step back every so often to take two forwards. It's just frustrating that tonight almost 2 months on I had more feedback from the left knee than I did on 4 July when I first picked up the initial hammer strain.

I think I need to do more strength work and become more religious about it.

Planning 4 miles tomorrow.

After Wednesday's disappointing run I opted not to lace up on Thursday and instead focussed on putting in an honest strength session.

Friday Easy 5 Miles

Laced up yesterday after work. Not looking forward to the run because it promised more trepidation and potential for further disappointment. I decided against my Kilmainham - Inchicore- Chapelizod - Heuston - Kilmainham loop and opted for Lockdown Loops instead, just in case I needed to bail. Unexpectedly the run went well. I had maybe two half strides of mild left knee feedback after 2 miles or so, but otherwise it was ok. Hammer a bit tight or tired, but nothing that made me worry. I managed a little subdued fist-pump at the end of this one.

Back on the foam-roller in the evening catching up with Ben Parkes - 4 months after surgery to put metal bolts in his ankle he's run/hiking up to the summit of Ben Nevis. Sort of positivity I'm looking for.

Today Easy 10K

Surely I won't have two good runs in a row. Completed another honest strength session beforehand. Laced up and headed out on a 10K. I risked the park. An ascent up the Khyber and nothing from the knee. Continue up Chesterfield, nod number one to Donore clubmate, and turn right onto North Road. Knee still quiet. Tip along toward Ratra House, nod number two to Donore clubmate. Head back to the Phoenix. I'm scanning ahead all the time to anticipate traffic and try avoid having to stop-start. Back down the Khyber - knee still silent.

Out at Islandbridge Gate. Navigate the humpback bridge without feedback. Then I have to stop at the traffic lights at the top of the hill. Anxious. I restart and, nothing, the knee remains silent. I turn left into IMMA. More relaxed now, whatever happens I'll have logged 5 consecutive miles without any left knee feedback. Up Kilmainham Lane and done. Brilliant - first proper run since 4 July without the left knee protesting.

I'm certain that it will protest again, but for now I'm happy to see this as progress. Coincidence that I completed a strength session before heading out? Not sure but I'll make sure to keep the stretching, foam rolling and strength work going.

Aim to bring up 25 miles tomorrow.

July Review

This should be quick!

July opened with a rehearsal of 10K TT strategy around the Polo Grounds Road Loop. Ran 2 laps at early TT pace. The two laps felt good effort wise and I was quietly optimistic of a PB time (<38:38) come TT morning.

I remember stopping to tie my lace when I was done and feeling the left knee twinge when I stood up. Starting to bug me.

The day after the penny started to drop that I probably wasn’t going to just run this knee pain off. I ran up to Castleknock via Knockmaroon Hill and I was happy the knee didn’t protest, but later on a long Chesterfield descent, both knees were unhappy. Every 200m or so one or both of them would protest. I did not enjoy this run as I became very apprehensive of what each footfall would bring. I decided on that run that after the TT I’d take 2 down weeks.

On an overcast and humid TT morning all my focus was on my knees. Once I got going they felt fine. Furthermore I was feeling good, even risking going out too fast. Lap 1 in the bag. Then at the start of Lap 2, a ‘zingy’ sensation starts on the outside of my left leg slightly below the knee, it gradually works its way up above my knee. After 500m or so it shows no signs of disappearing. I’m concerned and I pull the plug on the TT on Lap 2 of 6. After a few hours it feels like the source of discomfort is the left hammer.

An 8 day break from running. Some after the horse has bolted stretching, strengthening and rolling.

Three easy runs on a cautious return. Hammer is fine, left knee is still grumpy – especially on stop-start transitions. The fourth run instead sees an unannounced return of the ‘zingy’ sensation. Stronger this time. It hurts. Abandon the run and book a physio. I’m limping for 24 hours.

Two physio visits in July. Hammer behaves on table. Diagnosis is a minor grade 1 tear, caused by overuse and not helped by tight calves and quads. I’ll take that. I’m not in a hurry and physio targets the second weekend of August for a return to running. All told it’s not a bad year to pick up an injury.

Mileage takes a big hit, but I’ve a big buffer built up since the start of the year and should still be ok to hit my 2000 miles for the year target.

Month | Monthly Miles | Daily mileage for month | Weekly Mileage for month | Daily mileage for year | Weekly mileage for year | Predicted yearly mileage
    January | 203.31 | 6.56 | 45.91 | 6.56 | 45.91 | 2400
    February | 226.40 | 7.81 | 54.65 | 7.16 | 50.13 | 2621
    March | 222.74 | 7.19 | 50.30 | 7.17 | 50.19 | 2624
    April | 170.06 | 5.67 | 39.68 | 6.80 | 47.58 | 2488
    May | 201.37 | 6.50 | 45.47 | 6.74 | 47.15 | 2465
    June | 209.75 | 6.99 | 48.94 | 6.78 | 47.45 | 2481
    July | 42.87 | 1.38 | 9.68 | 5.99 | 41.93 | 2192
    August | | | | | |
    September | | | | | |
    October | | | | | |
    November | | | | | |
    December | | | | | |

Some catch-up to do here.

Last Sunday 10K Easy
    Nice weather. All my runs are run apprehensively at the moment. I hope I can at least get to half way feeling ok. After that each mile without feedback is a bonus. Today the left knee only started to protest with around 500m to go. That's fine. Overall a very encouraging weekend.

Tuesday 4 Miles Easy
    The target for this week is 30 miles. The plan is for six consecutive days of running alternating between 4 and 6 miles. Tuesday is a very positive start. A little bit of left knee feedback over the opening 100ms or so but then it stays quiet for the rest of the run. In fact for the first time in a long time the left leg felt good. Have I turned a corner?

Wednesday 6 Miles Easy
    Haven't turned that corner yet. I head to the Polo Grounds for the first time since July 4th. Plan is, home to Pavilion, 2 laps of Polo Road Loop, then Pavilion home. Lap one goes ok. Then on lap 2 the left knee starts to provide some mild feedback. Once it starts to provide feedback it generally means that I can feel a 'presence' from the knee for the rest of the run. Once that 'presence' kicks in it's impossible to enjoy the run, it becomes a case of crossing my fingers and hoping to navigate the rest of the run without significant feedback.

Thursday 4 Miles Easy
    Ran from home to the club entrance, turned around and ran back. The out leg was good. Legs felt very stiff and heavy when I started this run but started to loosen up after a mile or so. Turn at the club and retrace my steps home. After mile 3 the left knee presence arrives and settles in. No twinges but a definite message from the knee saying it's not fixed yet.

Today 6 Miles Easy
    Not looking forward to my runs at the moment, just don't fancy the prospect of further disappointment and apprehension. Legs feel better when I start running tonight compared to last night. Legs feel good. I count the miles, 1 mile no feedback, good. 2 miles no feedback, nice. 3 miles no feedback, halfway and all ok. 4 miles still ok, cool. Mile 5 the left knee decides it's time to start protesting, nothing dramatic, just that 'presence' thet settles in. Now the run is about getting home without discomfort and left-knee twinges. This I manage.

Looking for positives, the opening 4 miles were the best opening 4 miles I've run since the start of July. The legs felt good. No twinges this evening, just 'presence'. Home in one piece.

2 months since I picked up this injury.

• Advertisement

Last Weekend

A mid-afternoon Lockdown Loop run on Saturday. Legs took a bit to warm-up. This was mostly ok but a 'presence' settled into the legs for the last mile. No twinges though.

Then on Sunday I got out around 8:30 to go for my first run with company in a long long while. Meet up with overpronator and collect some of the Donore Guys as we head over to the club. Overpronator and I hang back along Chapelizod Road to swap war stories. The group grows, I only stay a short while and when we hit Chesterfield I veer right while the others continue up toward Castleknock. The chat helps take my mind of my knee. Miles 5 and 6 go mostly ok, no twinges, just a 'presence'.

That's my 4th week of rehab completed and my 30 mile goal hit for the week. Stepping up to 35 next week, that's the plan anyway. When I'm not running the leg feels much better than it did a few weeks ago. I've regained a lot of confidence for the hammer. It's really all about the persistent left knee feedback.

Easy 5 Miles

Yesterday wasn't great. Ran 5 miles anticlockwise around my Kilmainham-Inchicore-Chapelizod-Heuston-Kilmainham loop. The first 3 miles pass without incident. Optimism growing. Then as soon as cross the bridge in Chapelizod some mild feedback starts coming from the left knee, lasts around 100m. The prospect of 2 more anxious miles isn't appealing. I decide to take some action and I try increasing the pace, just to see. I don't push hard but definitely the faster pace feels more comfortable and the knee behaves for the remainder of the run. I'm fairly certain that if I hadn't sped up the knee would have continued to protest.

Solid 7 Miles

Wasn't looking forward to this one. If the left knee starts to protest after 3 miles like it did last night, I don't think I'll be able or willing to complete the 7 miles. Part of me is starting to think about taking another week or two of rest. Inspired my last night's final 2 miles I decide to run tonight's run faster than easy.

It works out really well.

This was definitely the best run since July 4th. I stuck to my Lock-down Loop as I wanted to stay close to home. The knee did not protest at all. No 'presence' either. Maybe a dim ripple of something on two occasions when I needed to make some sudden traffic avoiding lateral moves, but nothing of concern. Happy with this. I think running faster forces you to adopt better form and I think the knee appreciates that. Running slower allows me to be more hesitant and anxious about my stride and footfall and I don't think the knee approves.

I'll continue with this pace for the rest of this week, it's not super fast, tonight was 7:29 min/mile average. Next week I'll drop back down to easy pace for a run and see if things have improved.

It was good to run faster and finish with a bit of sweat worked up.

Advertisement