Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – Easy 10K+

Left knee not very happy today whenever I was going upstairs. Headed out after work.

Start running and the legs feel heavy again but no complaints from the knee. Some presence from the left glute, but the latter has improved quite a bit over the last while, as has the right hammer. Another running of my 5 mile loop plus a Royal Oak loop added to bring up 10K. I know the legs feel heavy and that I'm not bouncing around this evening but I'm still surprised to see an average pace of 9:06 showing when I check the Garmin after 3 miles. I press the accelerator a little and gradually speed up and into range.

I hope the legs will have a little more zip for the weekend. Looking forward to lacing up the Hyperions again tomorrow morning.

Total 6.36M @ 8:40 (average 133 bpm)

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Do you always run the same way (clockwise/anticlockwise) on your loops, is so try the alternalte way, might help your knee(might not :-)

Pretty much yes. My go-to midweek loops are always run in the same direction. Wouldn't hurt to alternate direction for a while I guess. Will run my Chapelizod loop the wrong way round next time out.

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – 800+(2x400) @ Sub40 10K Pace

Out mid morning last Saturday. Mostly sunny conditions. The new Hyperions get their second outing. Tip over to my Polo Grounds Road Loop. Right now this pace I can look forward to, because it allows me to run fast but I know speed endurance isn't being tested. Next block onwards these runs will become trickier.

I hit lap on the Garmin to start the 800. Soon after I realise that the top corner of the loop is shut for roadworks and pathworks. I have to check my stride to navigate some barriers. Not ideal. I finish the 800m down Chesterfield as normal, and the 400 is run up Lords Walk as normal, but for the final 400 I turn 180 after the Pavilion and run it clockwise back down Lords Walk.

These were fine, very manageable. I was pleased at the start of the final 400 to see 3:4X pace showing and for it to feel ok. I slowed down but it's encouraging as from Block-4 I will be re-introducing small quantity sets of 400s, 600s and 800s where I will be targeting 3:4X pace. Final splits were 3:08, 1:34, 1:34.

I should have planned Saturday's run a bit better, I have some miles to log after the fast sections, would have preferred to have ran the sub40 stretches closer to the end of the run.

Total 7.34M @ 8:22 (average 139 bpm)  

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 2 – 13.1M (@ long run pace)

An hour less sleep Saturday night on the shortest weekend of the year. It'll be worth it though for daylight evening runs.

Sunday morning is mostly wet and mostly grey. I head out happy to be tackling my first Half Marathon distance since last October.

I stick to a tried and tested route. Heading into town along Thomas Street, past Trinity and turn onto the Liffey from Pearse Street. A German tall ship is moored here this morning. I turn into Canal Dock over some footbridges and into Irishtown. Over the East Link and then the long long river stretch from East Link Bridge to Chapelizod Bridge. I find it a little tricky to dial in target pace, running a few miles too quick along the way. The engine feels good but today the right hammer makes a slight reappearance. Some faint tingle on and off during the second half of the run. No pain though and no pinging.

Back southside over Chapelizod Bridge and then hilly mile 10 brings me up Kylemore Road to Ballyfermot Road. I cut back down to the tow-path, another mile run too quickly, and head for the War Memorial Gardens and home. The route is pretty much 13.1M on the button. Nice to have completed this one and to have felt generally strong throughout.

Later in the afternoon my lower left shin starts to ache. Nothing severe, but fairly persistent. I never get any aches or pains here so I'm a little concerned. Fingers crossed it'll sort itself out. Left leg is a bit of a battle zone of late, hip and glute and knee and now shin.

Scales say I've added weight since last week, but I'm still in the 71s so for now that's ok. Weigh in at 71.6kg. If I weigh less than 71.6kg next Sunday then I'll be happy.

Total 13.10M @ 8:05 (average 141 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – Easy 10K

Started the third week of block-3 Tuesday evening after work. Left shin had felt ok during the day having ached quite a bit on Monday. After around a mile or so I could feel a light presence in the shin, but it stayed light and there was no pain. Out later than planned so I wasn't able to take proper advantage of the longer evenings. Up the right hand side of Chesterfield from Park Gate to the Phoenix roundabout, then back down the other side of Chesterfield and back out Park Gate. The Chesterfield lamp-posts were lit for the descent. Home via a slight diversion toward Inchicore.

Gentle start to the week, feeling cautiously optimistic that the shin ache will resolve itself.

Total 6.23M @ 8:45 (average 136 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – 8+ Miles with 6M @ MP

I was looking forward to this one. Confident that I would complete it without issue, but all the same a little apprehensive as it's an evening run after a day at the desk. I opt for clockwise laps of the path around the Playing Fields, great to have evening Park options again. 6M will take me three times around the path and the guts of a fourth. I get stuck in.

Wind is always a factor. This evening the winds were blowing from the south-east, so not the prevailing westerlies. The head wind is tackled on the descent toward the Fort while the Acres climb is wind assisted.

Lap 1 is fine. Checking the Garmin I see pace settling at 4:26 min/km. Lap 2 also feels ok, I do prefer have the wind at my back rather than in my face. Near the end of Lap 3 I realise I've been day-dreaming, lost concentration and pace had dropped to 4:29. So I push a little for the final partial lap, since stating on here that I would repeat a block if I ever fail to hit one of the block goals, I've been a little nervous about 'failing' block-3.

I needn't have worried, I hold target pace and complete these MP miles without issue. I think I'm already good to push up to 8M in block-4. The 6M were run @ 7:10 min/mile pace, equating to a 3:07:XX marathon finish. Heart-rate 161 bpm, faster than I'd have liked. Definitely more concerned for next Wednesday's planned 4M at sub3 pace.

Take a photo break and breathe in the Park air as soon as I complete the MP section. Big skies and mild air, and a happy feeling knowing that long evenings await us across Spring, Summer and Autumn.

I tip home pleased with the evening's work.

Total 8.80M @ 7:43 (average 150 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – Easy 5 Miles

Dash to the plumber providers nearby to buy a replacement washer for a leaking kitchen sink. Come home to see that despite turning the mains off quite a bit of water had poured across kitchen work services and into one of the lower cupboards. Fix the tap and spend 15 mins drying up the various kitchen surfaces. Then it's time to lace up and head out for some more water, a waterfall from a gutter at home that badly needs cleaning and then 5 miles under non-stop rain splashing through wide and deep puddles.

I have the S-Bends, Acres and the Khyber pretty much entirely to myself. Legs felt ok, maybe a little heavy. I realise only at the bottom of the Khyber that I'm travelling too fast. I apply brakes for the last mile and a bit until I drop back in the 8:30s.

Hope for slightly drier conditions over the weekend.

Total 5.09M @ 8:31 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – 1200+400 @ Sub40 10K Pace

Worms, thousands and thousands of worms.

I headed across to the Playing Fields late Saturday morning. There had been constant rain Friday evening through Friday night into Saturday morning. I enter the Park at Islandbridge and swing left. I notice a pink fat worm on the ground, then another one, then another, then ten more, then 100 more, then a thousand and then thousands and thousands of worms. I did try to avoid them at first but eventually they became unavoidable, look up and ahead not down by my feet. A flock of seagulls not squabbling over food for a change. Pairs of jackdaws looking full.

Ignore the worms and get to work. Still just experimenting with sub40 10K pace. First stretch is 1200m, including an Acres climb. A little apprehensive but I needn't have been. This was very manageable. The 1200 was run in 4:41 at 3:54 min/km [6:17min/mile] pace, so a fraction too fast. I enjoy 600m to recover before 400m in 1:33, that's 3:52 [6:14] pace, again too fast. I didn't realise at the time that I was running too fast, if I had I would have eased off.

I tip back home around the S-Bends (less worms here).

Total 5.87M @ 8:17 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 3 – 14 Miles @ Long Run Pace

My longest run in I don't how many months. I enjoyed this one. The legs weren't protesting and didn't feel heavy. I tried out some new roads to run as well.

I started by running from Heuston along the South Quay all the way to the Samuel Beckett Bridge, crossed over and turned for East Wall by the Arena. Right along Alfie Byrne Road and then I swung briefly left to Bram Stoker Park and up the Malahide Road before turning left onto Griffith Avenue. Some snazzy looking apartments on the right along here (checked them online later and they are rental only, all the best apartments are rental only it seems). Turn left off Griffith at Drumcondra and head for the canal. Whitworth Road as the sun tries to come out. Phibsboro, when will they redevelop Dalymount? Then along the NCR to the Park. A little moment of concern here, not hungry I didn't have a substantial meal Saturday evening and for a moment I thought I was starting to crash. This only lasted a few minutes and then I felt good again.

Up by the Polo Grounds (I was wise to head for the Playing Fields yesterday, the Polo Road Loop is still blocked off). Up to the Phoenix and then it's mostly downhill to home.

Happy with this one. Legs were good for the rest of the day, including 90 minutes in the kitchen on lunch duty. Cautiously looking forward to longer, warmer and sunnier Sunday morning runs now.

Weigh-in was heavier than last week but still in the 71s, that's fine. Targeting the 70s in Block-4

Total 14.01M @ 8:02 (average 139 bpm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Loved that run description. Hopefully Dalymount will not be developed (unless as a better stadium or other public/community facility). Bohs management seems to be in a good place in that regard. Exemplars really.

Post edited by Murph_D on

Yeah I'm hoping that the stadium gets a makeover with lots of love. Same hope for Richmond Park. Was down in Tallaght for City game a few weeks back, stadium there is setting the standard.

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 4 – Easy Hour

I started the final week of this current rebuild block Tuesday evening. Another longer than planned day at work, there is always a strong temptation to just stick something easy in the oven and head for the sofa with a beer or glass of red once I log off late. As I do 95% of the time I ignore the temptation, get the runners on and the activations done and head out.

Head for the Park. For a change I travel anti-clockwise up the North Road rather than clockwise through the S-Bends. The light is starting to fade by the time I turn around close to the Castleknock Gate. I enjoy a full descent of Chesterfield. I only start checking pace on the descent and see it dropping gently from high 8:40s to low 8:40s. By the time I finish it has dropped to 8:38. Timed this well, arriving back where I started 12 seconds over the hour.

Legs were heavy but no significant complaints from the usual suspects

Some roller and core later – been neglecting this this last week and conscious I have a potentially tricky 4M at sub-3 MP in less than 24 hours.

Total 6.96M @ 8:38 (average 136 bpm)

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 4 – 7M+ with 4M @ Sub3 MP

Got this done Wednesday evening. In my head this was always going to be the key test of block-3. I don’t think I doubted that I would complete it on target but I was concerned about how difficult it might feel, especially being any after-work run.

While heading across to the Park I was encouraged by legs that felt fairly responsive and not too heavy. Clockwise lapping of the Playing Fields was the plan. Four miles would take more or less 2 and a half laps.

Several football matches in progress so I’m not alone this evening. I start the 4M at my usual spot, the second bike symbol on the path heading up Acres. I push stronger than necessary over the opening 200m or so just to get an initial ‘too fast’ alert and then I start a controlled easing up of the pace. I’m wearing the Glycerins which I expected to feel heavy but instead they provide a surprisingly light and bouncy ride. I had been thinking to switch to the Tempos once I go beyond 8M at Sub3, but now I’m not so sure.

Lap 1 is completed without issue. I’ve dropped into target pace and the effort levels are manageable. Not overly windy this evening, a light breeze blowing from the west. 

Lap 2 is a little more difficult but not by a lot. I’ve stopped looking at the Garmin and I’m running at what I feel is the correct pace, trying to keep honest. I’ll check pace again during the final partial lap just to be sure I don’t risk running too slow, fail to hit target pace and have to repeat block-3!

Enjoying working on this one. I head into the final partial lap and complete my final ascent up Acres. I check pace on the ascent and I’m pleased to see 4:09 min/km [6:40 min/mile] showing. I can afford to ease up a little if I need, but I’m happy to hold pace across the rest of the partial lap.

Job done. I complete the 4M in 26:42 @ 4:09 min/km [6:40 min/mile]. This is 2:55 marathon pace so well under 3 hours. Average heartrate recorded at 171 bpm, this definitely reads higher than how I perceived the effort.

I compared this with a similar run from last October during an ill-fated rushed return to training. In October I completed four miles at 4:10 [6:42] pace but with a lower heartrate of 166 bpm (yet I remember it feeling much harder than Wednesday evening). Hopefully, touch-wood this time round after three blocks of cautious and patient build-up I will avoid being side-lined like I was shortly after the October effort.

Total 7.23M @ 7:36 (average 152 bpm)  

Rebuild 3 – Block 3 Week 4 – 10K Easy

Friday saw my first Italian run of this rebuild. An easy 10K in Parco di Trenno after work. Legs felt a little heavy but no protests. Kept this to two and a bit clockwise laps of the park. As nearly always on easy runs I first check pace after 3 miles. Too fast 8:22. I spend the rest of the run easing up and ensuring I get back on target, which I manage, just.

Additional challenge while here will be keeping weight stable, normally while in Italy it's two significant meals a day rather than one. No scales for a weigh-in which isn't a bad thing.

Total 6.23M @ 8:30 (average 134 bpm)

Last weekend of Rebuild 3 – Block 3

Finished Block-3 two weekends ago under blue skies in Milan.

6M+ 1M @ Sub40 10K Pace

This was kind of fun. I base myself again in Parco di Trenno. On my first lap I hear a runner approaching from behind, good form and he runs past me. He's running a different loop to me because he overtakes me again later in the lap. Then as I start into lap 2 I hear him approaching again, he draws level with me, I think for a moment he is going to start chatting but he drifts ahead again. Three times overtaken by the same runner. But I know my faster mile is approaching, I want to run roughly half along the slight downhill and half along the slight uphill. As I arrive at the kink in the path that signals the start of the 1M he is about 80m ahead. I hit the lap button and accelerate, he can hear me arriving glances over his shoulder and I shoot past him. I did exaggerate, checking the Garmin shortly after overtaking I see 3:22 [5:25] pace showing, oops. I ease up gradually for the rest of the mile.

The mile felt easier than my heartrate (177 bpm) suggested. Completed in 6:18 right at the fast end of target. I also ran this in the Glycerins as I only travelled with one pair of shoes. I had hoped to pick up a pair of Dynafits while in Milan and so didn't want to have to squeeze three pairs of shoes into my cabin bag on the return journey (in the end I couldn't find the Dynafits I was looking for). The Glycerins definitely provided extra bounce and less feel for the faster mile.

Total 6.64M @ 7:47 (average 149 bpm)

13.1M @ Long Run Pace

I complete block-3 two Sunday mornings ago. Mostly warm and mostly blue sky. I head to San Siro for starters, running a lap around the Stadium before heading along via Novara before turning right for Parco delle Cave. Nice wide dirt and grit tracks in this park and I stay for two laps. Water levels in the lake are lower than usual, it has barely rained all year here.

The legs are feeling good and my pace threatens to be too fast, I need to focus and press the brakes a few times. It's so nice to be running on generally light legs, warm, seeing my shadow on the path and feeling the sunshine. Makes me look forward to longer Sunday runs planned in later blocks. I leave Parco delle Cave and transition back to the very familiar Parco di Trenno. I complete a lap and some bits to bring up just slightly over half-marathon distance. Enjoyable run to complete block 3. Six of the 13.1 miles were run slightly faster than target.

No weighing scales means no weigh-in.

Total 13.20M @ 8:02 (average 140 bpm)

Downweek in Milan

Pressure off last week in Milan. Just needed to clock up between 20 and 22.5 miles, and fit in 2 steady miles (7:3X pace) in one of my runs.

I started on Tuesday with an easy 5 miles. On down-weeks I generally don't look at the Garmin. I just ran this at what felt easy and comfortable. Headed to the San Siro again, another lap around the stadium. There are always a handful of tourists snapping photos and I join them this morning. Annoyed that this week I couldn't get tickets for neither the Empoli game nor the Napoli game (though I didn't try very hard for the former). Follow via Novara again and pop over the pedestrian bridge back through Parco di Trenno to bring up 5 Miles. I check final pace after the run, happy to see 8:22 average and average heartrate at 133 confirms that I was keeping it easy.

Next up was another easy 5 miler after work on Thursday evening. A warm mostly overcast evening without a breath of wind blowing. I opt for an out and back, from Trenno to neighbouring village Quinto Romano. First time running into Quinto so enjoyed the novelty of that. Homely feel to the centre of Quinto, old narrow windy streets, not a lot of traffic. Perfect back-drop for an Italian film set in the 50s or earlier. Tip back home enjoying a modest sunset and happy to be starting a second consecutive long long weekend in a row (although I will need to squeeze in a couple of work hours Friday).

A sunny Friday morning sees me back in Parco di Trenno. Another 5 miler, this one with 2 miles of steady running thrown in. The steady miles are very manageable, focus on not running too fast. I log a 7:35 and a 7:33, with heartrates of 150 and 148 respectively. A light head wind to navigate when running northwards, the breeze coming down from the distant Alps.

And on Saturday I finish the downweek with a 10K in Boscoincitta. This large park is a mix of nature reserve and paddy-fields (the latter bone-dry right now). Lots of trails to explore in here, not sure why I don't run here more often. Enjoy my favorite running surface of dirt and grit track. Several walkers, dog-walkers, cyclists and some runners, all out enjoying the fantastic conditions. I run west until the end of the park where it borders with Figino, another neighbourhood similar to Thursday night's Quinto. Turn around and retrace my steps back home. Pausing longer than usual to take a photo and just soak in and appreciate the sun, the birdsong and a pair of legs that feel good. Feeling a bit sad to be leaving tomorrow. Lots of good running available in this part of Milan.

• Tuesday, total 5.06M @ 8:22 (average 133 bpm)
    • Thursday, total 5.11M @ 8:38 (average 126 bpm)
    • Friday, total 5.27M @ 8:09 (average 133 bpm)
    • Saturday, total 6.22M @ 8:25 (average 131 bpm)
    Post edited by outforarun on

Thoughts after Block-3 and before Block-4

Block 3 was a success. All goals hit and I never struggled to hit those goals. I had been concerned about the 4 miler at Sub3 pace but in the end it was less challenging than I imagined. More significantly Block-3 gradually saw me paying less and less attention to the left hip and glute and to the right hammer. The latter was generally very quiet and the former, while I can still detect a presence on runs, I only notice if I actively think about them.

I have had several runs in the second half of this block where the legs felt light and felt good and that has been very very welcome. The last years have conditioned me to thinking I will experience some discomfort, some niggle, some ache, or some worry on every single run. But recent runs have given me hope that this doesn't necessarily have to be the case. I'm wise enough not to get too carried away and I know that things can change from one stride to the next, but I'm going to make sure I appreciate any run where the legs are free, loose and light.

One factor I think that has made a difference, I've started wearing my retired Glycerins as my regular day-to-day shoes. They feel so comfortable and cushioned. Previously when walking my legs felt heavy and complained a lot, creaks and niggles and twinges. Now instead it's a pleasure to walk. I bounce along and the legs are 99% happy. Cannot see myself going back to civilian shoes anytime soon.

Focus now turns towards Block-4. The goals are as follows:

• hold weekly mileage between 40 and 45 miles
    • increase longest run to 16 miles
    • run 8M @ MP
    • run 2M @ Sub40 10K pace
    • reintroduce short interval sets (6x400s, 4x600s and 3x800s) targeting 3:4X pace.

I'm confident for the 8M @ MP and generally confident for the 2M at Sub40 pace. I'm really looking forward to the intervals, but equally I'm most concerned about these and their potential to upset the legs. In previous rebuilds I structured these fastest runs poorly, each run I was tasking myself to run longer and longer at this fastest pace. This time round I want instead to focus on becoming familiar with the pace. I will stick with the structure of the intervals for the next two blocks (then add additional intervals in future blocks) and just become accustomed to running at 3:4X pace again. Doesn't matter if I run one session faster than another the only goal is to complete at 3:4X pace. Hopefully I'll see improvements in heartrate as the weeks pass. I will also run an interval session during my downweek, as my keep-my-legs-loose-run, all other running in the downweek will be easy. This also ensures I will run an interval session 4 out of 5 weeks. In previous rebuilds this was 3 out of 5 weeks and never really allowed me become familiar with the pace.

Fingers-crossed I navigate Block-4 as successfully as I did Block-3.

Rebuild 3 – Block 4 Week 1 – Easy Hour

Had today off. Dropped Junior Outforarun to school in my running gear. Headed for The Park but via Blackhorse Avenue, only turning into the Park at the Ashtown Gate. Despite the opening miles being largely uphill and despite the legs feeling a bit heavy I was surprised after 3 miles to see 8:30 pace showing. I need to slow up. The second half of the run is downhill and it feels very easy, I'm monitoring the Garmin and making sure I don't drop into 8:2X pace. It's a beautiful morning, a definite hint of summer in the air. Since I was last in the Park there are far more buds and green leaves on the trees. I enjoy the controlled descent down Chesterfield, doesn't feel entirely different to some of last week's warm Milan runs.

No complaints from the legs. Out Islandbridge Gate and home. Happy again to see average heartrate at sub 130.

I travel down to Bray in the late morning. Objective was to pick up 2 pairs of Glycerin 20s. They only have one so instead of a second pair I get a pair of Hyperion Max. These are very comparable to the Hyperion Tempos, but have a much more rounded heel. They feel snug and comfortable and use the same foam as the Tempos. The won't be debuted for several months. A walk on the Strand and a little bit of the cliff walk. As I type I've logged over 32000 steps for the day.

Total 7.19M @ 8:36 (average 129 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – 4x800 @ Sub40 10K Pace

Must check if the Polo Grounds Road Loop is fully open again. I assumed it wasn’t and went to the Playing Fields yesterday evening for this one. Because I have a 14 miler with 8M at MP planned for Sunday, I scheduled this run for midweek rather than for Saturday. I put on the Hyperion Tempos and ran my usual warm-up to my usual starting spot, the second bicycle graphic on the path up Acres. Hit the lap button on the Garmin and got to work.

The first 800 feels harder than expected. I’m hoping that this is because of the incline and of the northernly head-wind. I get some too slow alerts along Acres. Happy to have 400m recovery before starting the second 800. This one feels much easier, no head wind, no incline, some downhill and some too fast alerts. The third 800 is the toughest of the evening as it is again up Acres and again into a headwind. That’s the last of the real work, the fourth 800 is very manageable. The wind can be such a factor on the Playing Fields, certainly more so than around the Polo Grounds. 

Target range per 800 was 3:08 to 3:12. The actual 800 splits were: 3:09, 3:09, 3:12, 3:08. Average 800 was completed in 03:09.61. Average pace 3:57 min/km [6:21 min/mile]. I have long way to go to get back to running sub 40 10Ks on demand. Little steps.

From Block-4 I’m logging my 2 harder weekly sessions as work-outs on Strava.

Total 7.12M @ 7:54 (average 142 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – Easy 10K

Open the weekend with an easy unwind 10K. The legs were a little stiff at first and I generally felt heavier than I'd have liked. A little bit of War Memorial Gardens, a Khyber ascent, an easy Chesterfield descent. The Polo Grounds Road Loop is fully open again. Around here I check average pace for the first time and I'm happy to see it's at the faster end of easy range, it felt slower. Need to concentrate now to not run too fast. North Road, out onto Infirmary Road and down to Heuston. Legs have loosened out now and feel good, nice fluid relaxed stride. Up the tram tracks to Jame's and loop around home.

Some work with the roller and powerband later. Left knee has protested a little on stairs over the last few days, but has been fine when running. Another easy run planned for Saturday morning and then a potentially tricky 14 miler with 8 miles at marathon pace. I don't want to under-estimate this one, I feel confident but if I don't tick off the 8M section then I'll be finishing block-4 knowing I have to repeat block-4 straight afterwards.

Total 6.27M @ 8:33 (average 132 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – Easy 5+ Miles

Winter hasn't quite disappeared yet. Overcast and chilly this morning and I put on a warm running jacket. Out around 9:30 and the legs feel a little heavier and a little stiffer than I expected. They do loosen out as the run proceeds. Avoided the park for this one and headed to the canal instead. About a mile or so in it starts to rain. I follow the canal east as far as Emmet Bridge then cross over and turn back toward home passing Griffith College enroute to Dolphins' Barn. I cut through the new hospital and then down to Heuston. A diversion through IMMA before turning for home.

Had to ease up a lot over the last couple of miles to ensure I stayed in target range.

Legs generally feeling ok ahead of tomorrow's key run. I feel heavy, curious to see what the scales say tomorrow. I want to come out of block-4 in the 70.XXkgs but I suspect I have some work to do.

Total 5.56M @ 8:32 (average 131 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 1 – 14M with 8M @ MP

Success. Last Sunday's key run went better than I expected. Decided I'd structure the run as 3M at long run pace (8:00 to 8:15), 8M at MP (7:03 to 7:14) then another 3M at long run pace. Selected roads I haven't run on in a while threading a route through Rathgar, Milltown, Clonskeagh, Donnybrook, Ballsbridge, Portobello, Rialto and home.

I was unexpectedly nervous as I approached the MP section, then as soon as I got to work it felt ok. Most encouraging was that I was travelling relatively comfortably at the faster end of target pace. I had one too-slow alert just outside Rathgar but the rest of the run was completed with 4:23 to 4:25 pace showing on the Garmin. The legs provided no negative feedback. I think the hardest part was from when I joined Merrion Road and along the Grand Canal, footfall felt a little heavier and less fluid here. If I had to I could have continued at this pace for longer, certainly to 10 Miles and maybe even 13.1. After the MP section I had to focus on the final 3 miles to ensure I didn't run too fast

Nice to revisit some of these roads. Noted many Ukrainian flags, a police presence and a solitary protester along Orwell Road. Legs felt exercised for the rest of the day. I was also pleasantly surprised to see the scales showing 71.4kg. I navigated the recent Italian trip better than I expected. Should hopefully make it into the 70s by the end of the block.

The 8M at MP were run in 56:30, @ 4:23 min/km pace [7:03 min/mile] with an average 162 bpm. Equivalent of a 3:05:XX marathon finish.

Total 14.07M @ 7:28 (average 154 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – Easy Hour

Heavy legs under a heavy sky Tuesday evening. It was cold as well, running jacket back on.

Ran my Park easy hour loop. I didn't check the Garmin until after 3 miles and saw average pace of 8:40 showing. That would speed up as I ran into the faster second half of the loop and I needed to apply the brakes as 8:2X pace started to show. Some concern when descending Chesterfield. The front of my left knee starts to ping, I stop for a moment before continuing. After around 50m it passes and doesn't return. I hope this was a single episode. It has happened before that my left knee can complain on single run and then remain silent again for several months. This was the front of the knee, not the outside of the knee like in 2020.

On the roller again later in the evening.

Finish the loop just 3 seconds over the hour.

Total 7.05M @ 8:31 (average 135 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – 6x400 @ 3:4X pace

First run in Athlone of the year, first run at 3:4X pace of the year.

I'd been looking forward to this. The goal for this block and the next is just to become familiar again with this pace. Week by week I'll toggle through 400, 600 and 800 intervals all with the goal of just hitting an average pace between 3:40 [5:54] and 3:49 [6:09], equivalent of a 5K finishing time between 18:20 and 19:05. In later blocks I'll start adding additional repeats to the sessions.

I didn't bother checking if the AIT track was free or not (it wasn't), the last few times I ran there I got grief from the group that had also booked it. Fair enough that once I was late for my booked slot. Pre-Covid the group leader instead would keep lane 1 free for me. I might try fit in these sessions at lunchtime when in Athlone (I may be in Athlone more often on Wednesdays). I headed straight for the Greenway instead. 400m in one direction, turn around and 400m back the way I came. I run 200m recovery between repeats.

Enjoyed this. Harder than I expected and I needed to work on the final 150m of each repeat. I had the Garmin set up for this so I was getting some too fast and too slow alerts (more of the latter than the former) and it didn't feel easy to dial into target range. Each 400 should be completed between 1:28.00 and 1:30.60, and I achieved this on just 3 repeats, the final 2 were the fastest of the evening. There were only 6 repeats and I probably could have managed a few more but I don't want to over stress the legs too soon.

I am already a little worried about the 4x600 planned for next week, I reckon the final 200m of these will be demanding.

How did I ever run 5K at faster than this pace?

Splits were as follows:

1:30.69

1:30.66

1:30.07

1:30.65

1:28.64

1:29.65

Average 1:30.06 @ 3:45 min/km (average 164 bpm)

Total 5.41M @ 7:49 (average 147 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – Easy 10K

Started the weekend's running Friday evening after work. Beautiful conditions, mostly bright and mostly warm. I ran the same route as 7 days ago, so some War Memorial Gardens, a Khyber ascent, a short Chesterfield descent, a trip behind the Pavilion, an exit from the Park at the top of Infirmary Hill, then home via Jame's. Just like last week the legs were tired for the opening miles and had loosened up for the easier second half of the run. Good mood with the long weekend stretching ahead.

Total 6.23M @ 8:31 (average 137 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – 1600+(2×800) @ Sub40 10K pace

Out earlyish Saturday morning before heading south for a gentle stroll up Bray Head.

Back on the Polo grounds road loop, now fully open again. I'm still unconvinced that these runs will be manageable so there is always a little apprehension during warm-up, then the effort is never as difficult as I feared. 

The 1600 is managed without issue, just a little work required on the Lords Walk ascent. The first 800 contains another Lords Walk ascent, but it's fine. And the final 800 features the full Chesterfield descent. Splits were 6:18, 3:07, 3:09. Over compensating for the ascent the first 800 was a little too fast.

Slight left knee presence on warm-up, but it was fine afterwards, including ascending Bray Head before lunch.

Total 6.61M @ 7:54 (average 145 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 2 – 15 Miles @ long run pace

Ran my longest run of the year on Sunday. A south city 15 miler that brought me to over 160 miles for April, my busiest month in a while. The weather Sunday morning was mostly good, no jacket required.

I headed straight for the sea by Irishtown and Sandymount. More people in the city centre than usual and I think this made me up the pace early on. Trying to get through this busy section, mile 2 logged at a surprisingly quick 7:29. I needed to put the brakes on early. Found it hard to hit target pace for each individual mile.

Legs felt a little heavy at the start but they eventually settled in. I followed the sea past Sandymount, normally I would turn back inland on Booterstown Avenue, today I continued south a while longer, past Willow Park and Blackrock College and turned right onto Mount Merrion Avenue. A slight but steady climb for almost a mile, heavy camber on the road so stuck to the footpath. Nice to run new roads; some nice pads along here.

Turn right at the end and head down to the Radisson before joining the DCM route in reverse. Legs are fine, engine feels good. Through Clonskeagh and I follow the Dodder river-path to Milltown. More nice pads along Orwell Park. Pace is steady at the fast end of target. I descend from Rathgar through Harold's Cross to the canal. Back in familiar territory now. I run through Rialto and home. Miscalculated the distance slightly and run about a third of mile more than planned.

Felt no fade of note over the closing miles. Legs were ok afterwards although the left knee was a bit achy 24 hours later. Very surprised to weigh-in at 70.0kgs. Lost over a kilo in a week and I'm very close to dipping under 70.0kg for the first time in long time.

Total 15.35M @ 8:01 (average 144 bpm)

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 3

A full week to catch up on here.

Tuesday - Easy Hour

I started the week in the usual fashion, an easy hour around my easy hour Park loop. Left knee had been complaining a little since Sunday. It was fine during and immediately after Sunday's run, but later in the evening and through Monday it protested, mostly when climbing stairs. So come Tuesday I was on alert for any unwanted feedback and probably had a slightly hesitant stride at moments. There was a presence from the knee, but no pings nor pain. I'm most alert on the Chesterfield descent but it went fine. I kept the pace honest, didn't look at the Garmin for the opening half and then made sure I wasn't travelling too fast on the second half. Starting to look more like summer in the Park. Finished my loop just 12 seconds over the hour mark.

Total 7:00 @ 8:37 (average 130 bpm)

Wednesday - 4x600 @ 3:4X Pace

Back in Athlone Wednesday evening, back on the Greenway. I was definitely nervous ahead of this one and not confident about how it would go. The last 100 of each 400 had me working last week so I was concerned about the additional 200 on each repeat this evening. A two mile warm-up. It is pretty much 600m on the button between two overhead bridges along the Greenway, giving me very clear visual markers to run between. The target for each 600 is 2:12 to 2:18.

Tonight repeats 1 and 3 were into a headwind, not very strong but definitely made itself felt. The splits reflect the same:

2:17.91

2:13.68

2:19.98

2:12.44

The first one felt ok, it was the first one and the lungs and legs were fresh. Slight tailwind for the second 600. Then the third and hardest of the evening, another headwind run but this time on slightly more worked lungs and legs. The last one was the last one and so was mentally easier to complete and the slight tail-end ensured it was the fastest of the evening. I took 300m jog recovery between repeats. Average pace across the 600s was in range, despite repeat three being a fraction too slow.

It was all over pretty quickly and I think it was easier than the 400s from last week. My award for my work, a slightly colder than luke-warm shower. I am enjoying these little sessions, less so the post session showers.

Average 600 in 2:16.00 @ 3:47 min/km (average 165 bpm)

Total 5.56M @ 8:03 (average 143 bpm)

Friday - Easy 6 Miles

First evening of the year that could be classed as a summer's evening. Bright blue sky, green leaves back on most of the trees, heat from the sun, fantastic conditions. I keep it simple, into the Park at Parkgate, straight climb to the Phoenix and back down the road on the other side.

My left knee feels much better this evening than it did earlier in the week, I think it complains more after longer runs than after faster runs. Still wary of the legs at the moment. Some inviting new tarmac on the path from the Zoo to the Phoenix. Home via Islandbridge and a tiny bit of Inchicore. Great way to tee-off the weekend.

Total 6.02M @ 8:46 (average 132 bpm)

Saturday - 2400+800 @ Sub40 10K Pace

The Hyperion Tempos felt more comfortable than normal today, maybe they're just now starting to break in. Quiet Saturday morning as I make my way across to the Polo Grounds. A little apprehensive as always but quietly confident that this will be fine. I start the 2400 section behind the Pavilion, just shy of a lap and a half. The opening 400 is a little too slow but then the Chesterfield descent brings me safely back into target range. I need to work a little on the Lords Walk Climb but after that it was fine, finish the first lap and enjoy the flatter profile before a comfortable downhill finish. I take 1200 of recovery and then a very very manageable 800 to close (also mostly downhill).

That was good, easier than expected. The 2400 was completed at 6:20 min/mile, the 800 at 6:24 min/mile (I applied brakes) I don't have any concerns ahead of 2M at this pace next weekend. Left knee was ok for this, a little bit of left hip ache on warm-up instead.

Total 6.40M @ 7:59 (average 142 bpm)

Sunday Long Run 16 Miles

My first official long-run of the year. I'm going to run these carrying some water, and take a gel every 4 miles after 8 miles. Fantastic weather for this first long run. I opt for Clontarf. Run the south quay to Customs House before crossing northside and heading for Fairview. Lots of road works make this a little tight at points, I'm happy to get to the Howth Road for some calmer running. I've started a little slower than usual today and I'm gradually building into this one, the best approach I think. It'll take a while to get used again to running with a bottle in my hand. I arrive at Raheny knowing that most of my climbing is done for the morning and I enjoy the drop down to the sea. It's warm, the sun is bright, lots of runners and cyclists, the summer is open.

I don't divert on to Bull Island today and instead just stick to the coast road. Along here I take gel number one. Trying SIS gels for the first time, lemon and mint with electrolytes, no caffiene. Easy to open, I like the taste, they maybe take up a little more space than my usual Power Gels. Did I fade near the end, no, so that's a good indication I guess. Not wanting to navigate the road works again I run the Alfie Byrne Road to East Wall, go all the way down to the Point and then follow the North Quay back to Heuston, taking gel number 2 near the Conference Centre. Home via Islandbridge.

Enjoyed that a lot. Felt strong throughout, the fantastic weather was a bonus. Legs felt ok for the rest of Sunday and my weight was 70.9kg, still in the 70s, that's the Block 4 goal.

A good week - must return to the roller next week though.

Total 16.01M @ 8:06 (average 138 bpm)

• Advertisement

Rebuild 3 - Block 4 Week 4 Midweek

Still playing catch-up on here. I finished Block-4 last week, this is what I did in the midweek.

Tuesday Easy Hour

I opted for my usual Park Loop for this one but had decided I would run it anti-clockwise instead of clockwise. I'm a creature of habit and only after around 200m did I realise I had by default started running in the usual direction. Not going to turn around now, next time I'll remember. I have a little presence again in the left knee but otherwise the legs feel ok. I start a little slower than usual and probably only drop into easy pace range somewhere near Ordnance Survey road. Beautiful evening, the weather has definitely picked up over the last days. Once upon a time I would have been moaning about training for months in the cold only for the temperatures to soar ahead of marathon day down in Cork.

Total 7.04M @ 8:37 (average 134 bpm)

Wednesday 3x800 @ 3:4X pace

Despite this looking very easy on paper I was feeling nervous as I got closer to the 800s. The confidence from last week's 600s had faded. I selected the southern path along the Playing Fields for this one. Weather was bright and warm. I stopped for a few seconds ahead of the first 800, paced a little and just got into the correct frame of mind. I get to work.

Target time for the 800s is between 2:56 and 3:03. Half distance recovery between reps.

First 800 is from Acres to the Fort and has a tailwind. I start too fast and gradually need to drop the pace throughout the rep. Not as difficult as I feared but the effort levels did increase over the final 200. Time 2:56.17.

Second 800 is much tougher, into a headwind. Lungs working for the final 300 or so. Happy to finish. Time 3:03.62.

Final 800 is wind assisted again. It feels ok and as usual just knowing that it is the last one helps me keep honest. Lungs working for last 200. Time 2:58.49.

Wouldn't have been very keen on a forth 800 into the wind. Headed home to cheer on Milan in the semi-finals :(

Average 800 in 2:59.43 that's 3:44 pace (average 166 bpm)

Total 5.58M @ 8:16 (average 143 bpm)

Friday Easy 10K

Incredible weather, rich blue sky, warm sun, warm air. I run my new 10K route and enjoy the Friday evening mood around the War Memorial Gardens, up the Khyber, along Chesterfield and around the Polo Grounds. The legs aren't as light as the mood, but at least the left knee isn't complaining too much this evening. Two more runs to go to complete this block (on target hopefully) and then a well timed down-week to focus on some roller and powerband time.

Total 6.31M @ 8:41 (average 132 bpm)

Advertisement