Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Liberties 6K Fun Run 2013

It’s so handy having a race on your doorstep. Walked home from work, into running gear, across to IMMA to pick up my number. Still 45 minutes to go, so I pop back home to put on my number and lace up my chip. Do a lap of the block as a warm up. Right at the end of my warm-up I feel a bit of pain in the right knee. Hopefully it’s nothing. I’m a little concerned that I may have overdone it a little in the last 5 days of heat running.

It’s warm, but thankfully there is a slight breeze. Lots of fast and fit looking runners about. Apparently around 1000 people have registered. An informal unhurried atmosphere before the race-start. People milling about enjoying the sun, stretching against trees, dashing or jogging along the length of the main path. Race plan is to hold 4:05 min/km pace (6:34 min/mile) for 5K and then see how/if I can push over the last K.

I position myself maybe 20ms back from the line, I’d say around 150/200 people ahead of me. Gun-start – and we’re off.

There’s a fair bit of congestion over the first 400ms or so, but it quickly thins out. I run close to the kerb as we head over Bow Bridge and this big guy in a white t-shirt nudges into me from the right and then mutters something before hopping on the footpath to overtake me on the left and continue on his way. I check the Garmin and I’m surprised to see 3:43 min/km (5:59 min/mile) showing. Oops, I put the brakes on and let the hill up to the Luas tracks slow me down. The first KM is completed in 3:51. Have I just cooked my race?

I continue to ease up as we run down along Thomas Street. Gradually coaxing the pace down to 4:00, to 4:02 and eventually to 4:05. So the second kilometer actually felt easy enough and I continued to overtake quite a few people. Decent support along the roadside, although one guy did suggest that we were all a shower of cn*ts and that he’d have us all hung. The 2K mark is reached as we switch onto Francis Street: 4:17 on the Garmin.

No more slowing down now. Focus on holding this pace. Field is stretched. I run the length of Francis street with two other runners who are travelling more or less at my pace, but from the sound of their breathing they’re feeling the effort more than I am. Francis Street is nice and shaded but when we turn onto The Coombe we’re facing directly into the sun and it instantly feels warmer. I inch ahead ahead of the other two runners. The third KM logs at 4:06 as we approach Pimlico. Half-way there.

The lungs are being worked, but the breathing is still manageable and the legs feel strong enough. We head down through Guinness. Get some cheers from the tourists. I’m still picking off runners one by one. I’m kind of keeping pace with a female runner about 10ms ahead of me. I look at the Garmin every so often, anxious that the pace will drop slower than 4:05, but each time I look it’s holding steady at 4:05. High 5 some kids on Pim Street. Lots of people shouting support. Kilometre 4 logs at 4:02 at the start of James Walk.

Into the sun again. Focus on the footfall of my pacer up ahead. Along this stretch I’m secretly happy to overtake Big Guy in White T-shirt that nudged me back at Bow Bridge. Average pace has moved up to 4:04. Breathing harder now. I’m happy to join the South Circular Road, nearly there now. Kilometre 5 logs at 4:04. That’s 5K covered in 20:20.

I stop looking at the watch now and try to push the pace a bit. My pacer is pulling further away as she also ups the effort. I’m not being overtaken by anybody and I’m easing past a few more runners. Lovely fast descent before a sort steep climb up to the Hilton. We turn back into IMMA and onto the finishing straight. I overtake one or two more runners as I up the pace toward the finish line, but there’s no one around that I could get into a sprint with. Here the announcer say that one of the runners ahead of me has done 23 minutes! Lungs are hurting over the last 100ms. I pass the finish line in 24:00 on the Garmin.

Very happy with that. I was targeting a sub 24:30, and I wouldn’t have been overly disappointed with a high 24:XX. Chips needed to be returned after the race and I noticed that there weren’t already too many chips in the bucket.

Unfortunately the Garmin showed 5.96 KM. I’d expect it to read something a little over 6.00 not a little under. First time I’ve ever had the Garmin come under race distance. Maybe running between the high buildings in Guinness threw it off? I haven’t uploaded it yet so I can’t say. But even measuring the course on Google Maps, it does look very very tight. I’m not too concerned, 6K in itself is an odd enough distance anyway. The race was really well marshaled, organization was very good, chip timing worked, and it’s all for a good cause. And as a fun run it was fun.

6.00K or 5.96K, either way I finished with sub 6:30 min/mile pacing. That would have been unthinkable 12 months ago (6 months ago). I should try get to Malahide for a Park Run, see if I can go sub 20 for 5K.

Results were available shortly after the race. I’d been hoping for a top 100 finish, instead I got a top 50 finish: 48th out of 828 finishers. Chip time and Garmin time identical at 24:00.

Warm-up 1.53M @ 8:39

KM01 3:51
    KM02 4:17
    KM03 4:06
    KM04 4:02
    KM05 4:04
    KM05.96 3:50

Total 5.96KM @ 4:02 min/km (3.70m @ 6:29 min/mile)

(I'll log my 6K time as 24:12)

Week Beginning 15 July Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    General Aerobic 10M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 10.14 | 9:05
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.02 | 9:14
    Liberties Fun Run 6K @ <4:05 min/km (<6:34 min/mile) | 5.96K / 3.70M | 4:02 min/km / 6:29 min/mile
    TBC | |
    TBC | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    19.39 | 97.80 | 989.37 |

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

outforarun wrote: »
    Liberties 6K Fun Run 2013

6.00K or 5.96K, either way I finished with sub 6:30 min/mile pacing. That would have been unthinkable 12 months ago (6 months ago). I should try get to Malahide for a Park Run, see if I can go sub 20 for 5K.

Results were available shortly after the race. I’d been hoping for a top 100 finish, instead I got a top 50 finish: 48th out of 828 finishers. Chip time and Garmin time identical at 24:00.
    Progressing nicely there, well done on the race, great confidence boost to know your training is giving the right results.

Flew home from Italy today.

I took a holiday from running. After completing the Liberties Run I didn’t lace up again for 6 days. I flew out to Italy on the Saturday and travelled to Roncobello, a small village at 1009m above sea-level in the Italian ‘Pre-Alpi’.

On the Sunday we went on a 22KM out-and-back hike. The first 9 KM take you over the tree-line and up a mix of grassy and rocky terrain to over 2100m. Traces of snow are visible on surrounding mountains only around 300ms higher. These first kilometres work up a nice sweat. The hike we did (minus the halfway, hot meal and cool beers in a mountain refuge) is the route of an annual mountain race. This year it’ll be held on the 4 of August and we saw some runners out training while we hiked. We visit here on a yearly basis and every year I’m tempted to register. I think though I would find myself seriously out of my depth, especially when the race abandons the tarmac after just a few kilometres. Maybe next year.

A shorter walk in the woods including a few steep climbs, keeps the legs ticking over on Monday.

Wednesday 4.20M @ 9:12
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/350942588 forgot to switch autolap back to 1 mile

It’s not until Wednesday mid-morning that I put on my runners for a short run. I’m happy to have taken a few days off and it feels good to be lacing up again. I decide to run from our village down to the next village, Baresi, and then turn around and tackle the climb from Baresi back up to Roncobello and on to the next village, Capovalle, before coasting back down to where I started from. The run measures around 4 and a quarter miles. And the climb brings you up around 850 feet in around 2 miles.

I set off without any idea of what pace I should be aiming for, I just want to treat it like an easy run. The initial downhill is effortless. On the steeper parts I slow down to try soften my footfall.

At the bottom I literally touch the church then turn around and start climbing. After only 200ms I become very aware that there’s less oxygen up here. This is going to be tough. It’s a triple blow – the steep ascent, the altitude and the hot sun overhead. After a kilometre of climb I’m already drenched with sweat and I’m trying to find a comfortable rhythm with my breathing. I arrive back at Roncobello where there’s a brief respite with about 100ms of flat road before the hill starts again. Some stretches are very steep as the road starts to switchback it’s way up the mountainside. This ‘easy’ run is turning into a VO2 max session at 9 minute mile pace! Head down, don’t bother looking at the watch, sweat dropping from my forehead. Eventually I reach Capo Valle, I circle the church there before starting the descent back to Roncobello. I try to keep as gentle a footfall as possible on the way down, the legs don’t appreciate the sudden switch from climb to descent. By the time I’m back in Roncobello I’m completely recovered but still drenched in sweat. I don’t think there is such a thing as an easy run here.

Thursday 4.36 @ 8:59
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/350942572

Same route as yesterday (a little longer as I start a little further up the road). Today though I don’t run in the mid-morning, I wait instead until gone 18:00 in the evening when it’s cooler and some clouds start to descend. The initial descent is my warm-up before tackling the Baresi to Capovalle climb again. It feels easier today, it must be the cooler weather. I still work up a good sweat, but the lungs aren’t being worked as much as they were yesterday. I can feel my calves being worked though and persuade myself that this is good strength training for them. The last 500ms or so of climb are tough and I’m happy to reach the church in Capo Valle and turn back downhill. Despite the run being a little longer than yesterday I’m pleased to see I’ve run it at a quicker pace. I’m still drenched in sweat though.

Friday 4.38M @ 8:58
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/350942558

Third and final running of this route is the fastest, just.
    But more significantly as I climbed I clocked up 1000 miles for the year. delighted to have crossed this mark in July, the last two years it didn't happen until September.

I had planned on a longer run over the weekend, but the little one picked up another infection (on antibiotics now and is back to herself) so it just never happened.

Will try get out tomorrow morning very early to start a regular week's running. Next race - Frank Duffy 10 Miler at the end of August. I'm going to aim for 69:59, if I die a death, so be it.

Today I kicked off 4 weeks of training ahead of the Frank Duffy 10 Miler. Target 69:XX.

Didn't manage to get up early for this one, but did manage to rearrange for the evening. Starting easy with a 4 mile recovery pace run home from work. Forgot to put my small running rucksack into my big rucksack so had to run with the latter. An uncomfortable and warm run, legs aching a bit.

M01 9:03
    M02 9:20
    M03 9:32
    M04 9:38

Total 4:03M @ 9:24

Week Beginning 29 July Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.03 | 9:24
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | |
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | |
    Intervals 5 x 800 @ 3:58/3:59 min/km | |
    LSR 12M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    4.03 | 114.77 | 1006.37 |

Postponed Thursday’s 5 miler until next Monday so setting myself up for 7 days consecutive running. The first of these runs was done Friday at lunchtime, I’d taken the day off work. Fabolous weather, warm without being too warm, blue sky, bright sunshine, white cotton ball clouds and a nice fresh breeze. Really enjoyed this leisurely lap of the Park, an all is right with the world run. Ran down through the Furry Glen and ran up alongside the Fort, two lesser visited spots. The legs felt good the whole way round and I was sorry to call a halt to this run after 8 miles.

While in Italy I’d started reading ‘Eat and Run’, Scott Jurek’s running biography. Spent a fair bit of today’s run thinking I might try introduce some of his vegan recipes into my weekly diet. I’m pretty (very) poor when it comes to stretching and core but I can be very disciplined regarding diet. I also read ‘Running with the Kenyans’ where diet also features as a key element in the Kenyan running formula, and again the diet is largely plant based. The author, weighed 77 kilos before relocating to Kenyan, after some months training there and improving his pace he’d dropped to 69 kilos. He also mentions how a group of Kenyan runners were brought to Germany to analyse their running performance: within two weeks of living in Germany they had all put on 5 kilos!

Both books well worth a read in my opinion.

M01 9:16
    M02 8:33
    M03 8:48
    M04 9:08
    M05 8:55
    M06 9:12
    M07 9:19
    M08 9:18

Total 8.05M @ 9:04

Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | postponed|postponed
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 8.05 | 9:04
    Intervals 5 x 800 @ 3:58/3:59 min/km | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    12.08 | 8.05 | 1014.40 |

• Advertisement

Got out at lunchtime for today's intervals and so avoided the heavy downpours, although it was pretty windy along the North Road. I was a little ill at ease heading over for these as i could feel a slight ache in my left glute. I reckoned if I felt any twinges at all I'd drop the intervals in favour of something less demanding.

A nice steady and slow warm-up from home up the Kyber to the start of the North Road at the Phoenix Roundabout. Then I hit lap on the Garmin and start into the 800s.

The first interval I ran at a surprisingly slow 4:03 pace, despite the effort feeling more like 3:5X pace. Hmm, have I lost a little spark following my Italian break, or is it the slight uphill and strong wind, or maybe it's both?

The second interval I push a little more but it's a near carbon copy of the first 800, this time I log 4:01 pace. I'm going to have to do some work if I want to go home with an average target interval pace of 3:58 / 3:59.

The third interval is always the easiest as it runs mostly down Chesterfield. I push a bit on this one and try take advantage of the descent. Despite this being mostly downhill my lungs are working hard. Interval three is a fast 3:49 pace. That gets my average back on track. I think this my fastest 800 interval ever.

Interval four is mostly uphill and it's not easy. Lungs continue to work hard. The last 100ms or so of this one are tough but I'm happy to log 3:54 pace.

I normally manage to find something extra for the final 800ms. The second half of this one is back down Chesterfield. Lungs hurting near the end, I try not to check the Garmin and just wait for the beeps but I get fed up waiting and check when I've about 10 seconds of running to go. Final interval is the fastest at 3:47 pace. Glad they're over.

Despite getting an average interval pace of 3:54 min/km and having a faster recovery pace than normal I can't help feeling I lost a little speed over the week's holiday. I should though, fingers crossed, manage to get it back before Frank Duffy.

I've only three more Saturdays before race day, I'm thinking 10K time trial next Saturday and then a 13K run with 5K at predicted race pace (4:19 / 4:20 min/km) the Saturday before the race.

Warm-up 1.97M @ 9:42

Interval 1 3:14 (4:03 min/km, 6:30 min/mile)
    Interval 2 3:13 (4:01 min/km, 6:28 min/mile)
    Interval 3 3:03 (3:49 min/km, 6:08 min/mile)
    Interval 4 3:07 (3:54 min/km, 6:17 min/mile)
    Interval 5 3:02 (3:47 min/km, 6:05 min/mile)

Average interval = 3:08 (3:54 min/km, 6:17 min/mile)
    Average recovery pace = (5:15 min/km, 8:27 min/mile)

Cool-down 2.20M @ 8:53

Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | postponed|postponed
    Intervals 5 x 800 @ 3:58/3:59 min/km |7.84M | average interval 3:54 min/km, 6:17 min/mile

WTD| MTD | YTD
    19.92 | 15.89 | 1022.24 |

Sunday’s 12 mile LSR was as un-enjoyable as Friday’s 8 mile general aerobic was enjoyable. Legs felt stiff and heavy and tired, probably still feeling the intervals from Saturday. Footfall felt ugly as I slapped my way around the Park. Even the weather turned muggy grey and overcast. One of those runs where the thought of running any faster seemed crazy. Glad to just finish this one.

Still thinking about Jurek’s book and I’m still toying with the idea of introducing more vegan / vegetarian recipes into my weekly diet. One idea is to maybe have vegan Tuesdays and Thursdays and vegetarian Wednesdays, and continue to eat as normal on the other 4 days. I’d be curious to see if I noticed any change in performance and recovery. Would need to do some more research. Right now though it’s just food for thought (sorry).

M01 9:35
    M02 9:02
    M03 8:42
    M04 8:55
    M05 8:39
    M06 8:40
    M07 8:52
    M08 8:59
    M09 8:42
    M10 8:47
    M11 8:47
    M12 9:02

Total 12.01 @ 8:53

Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | DNS|DNS
    Intervals 5 x 800 @ 3:58/3:59 min/km |7.84M | average interval 3:54 min/km, 6:17 min/mile
    LSR 12M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | 12.01 | 8:53

WTD| MTD | YTD
    31.94 | 27.91 | 1034.26 |

Domestic logistics meant I couldn't get out yesterday evening for the 5 miles I missed last week. Pity because it was a lovely evening for a run.

Started this weeks running shortly after 6:00 this morning. Three times round the block at recovery pace. Bus lanes safer to run in today. Once again the legs felt stiff and heavy and not happy to run. Must do some stretching tonight.

M01 9:48
    M02 9:19
    M03 8:54
    M04 8:58
    M05 9:13

Total 5.04M @ 9:15

Week Beginning 07 August Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.04 | 9:15
    General Aerobic 10M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | |
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | |
    10K Time Trial @ <= 4:08 min/km (6:39 min/mile) ||
    LSR 14M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    5.04 | 32.94 | 1039.29 |

Haven't been up early for a run in while so was a little surprised that at 5:00 it's still effectively dark. Still very dull when I hit the road at 5:24. Not bright enough to head into the Park, but the thought of 6 laps of the block was soul destroying.

Instead I made up a new route: from Kilmainham past the Hilton over to Inchicore, back along Emmet Road and onto the South Circular Road down to St James before going down that steep hill onto Old Kilmainham, then up to the Luas tracks after James, down to Heuston, up Military Road and back to Kilmainham. Measures 3.4 miles. Amazing how much more enjoyable a run is when you chart out a new route. Did two laps of this then a third lap without the South Circular Road piece (measured 3.00 miles exact - handy).

I had the roads pretty much to myself for the first hour, so lots of nice tarmac.

Legs felt better than on the previous two runs. A few pings from the left achilles, but nothing too bad.

Out of the shower at 7:10, set up for the day.

M01 9:34
    M02 8:58
    M03 8:44
    M05 9:01
    M06 9:01
    M07 9:04
    M08 9:02
    M09 9:13
    M10 9:14

Total 10.00M @ 9:05

General Aerobic 10M @ 9:00 to 9:15 |10.00 | 9:05

WTD| MTD | YTD
    15.04 | 42.94 | 1049.29 |

An easy 4 mile run home from work. Still don't like this route along the canal to Suir Road. Near the end of the run I just made it out of IMMA as the gates were shutting, Indiana Jones style. That's this week's midweek running completed. Rest now before a 10K time trial on Saturday, dreading this session, in a good way.

I run everything in Nimbus. I've started researching lighter shoes for shorter faster runs. Most of what I've read is pointing me toward Brooks ST-5, especially given the element of support they also offer. I'm tempted to pick up a pair of these and see if they work for me.

M01 9:34
    M02 8:58
    M03 8:44

Total 4.00M @ 9:15

Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.00 | 9:15

WTD| MTD | YTD
    19.05 | 46.95 | 1053.30 |

• Advertisement

:) New 10K Garmin PB 41:05 :)

This was tough.

Trotted over to my usual 10K circuit at lunchtime. Legs feeling heavy but I don't worry about this anymore, they always feel heavy before a good session. It's warm but there's a lot of cloud cover. I didn't have a good feeling about this run and even though target pace was <= 4:08 min/km for a PB attempt (best Garmin 10K is 41:21) , I was telling myself that any 41:XX would be a good day's work.

Lap 1
    The first 500ms were the easiest of the day. I started out at 3:5X pace and just gradually eased off until pace fell back to 4:07, but then it kept falling and the first KM logged at 4:13. Start to push again before I get too comfortable. Turn onto Chesterfield for the first time with KM2 logging at 3:54. I head down toward the Phoenix keeping the effort constant knowing that the descent will help average pace. I'm not enjoying this though. I feel heavy. I think it's going to be a long session. KM3 is 4:07 and I turn back onto the North Road.

Lap 2
    I should feel fresher on the start of lap 2. Average pace is showing at 4:06. I could slow down a little but I fear that if I do so and drop over 4:08 then I won't be able to up the pace again. The run up toward the Castleknock roundabout is not fun, KM4 is another 4:07. Legs feeling heavier and heavier and breathing is laboured. Pace does drop to 4:08. I'm starting to brace myself for a fail. Part of me says to just stop, and it is tempting. But I tell myself that if I'm going to stop I'll do so at the end of the current KM, and when I do log another KM I just keep plugging away. KM5 right at the turn onto Chesterfield is 4:14. Even after the full descent to the Phoenix my lungs are still working hard and my legs are unhappy. But a 4:04 kilometre keeps the average pace on target.

Lap 3
    The watch is torturing me so I decide not to look at it for lap 3. I keep the effort pretty constant but I genuinely feel like I'm losing speed. I don't expect to hit my target. The run up the North Road on lap 3 is always the hardest part of this session. I hear KM7 and KM8 beep. I'm now convinced that I won't hit 4:08 pace. I knew I'd lost some speed in the last weeks and this was the proof. One last descent down Chesterfield. Lungs and legs not happy. Near the Phoenix I decide to check the damage and I look at the Garmin, average pace is 4:07!!!. I was braced for 4:10 or 4:11.

Finishing Straight
    Onto the North Road for the last 500ms or so. C'mon keep it going. Tell myself it's just another couple of minutes of hurt, and then nothing very fast again for two weeks. Manage to up the pace for the last 200ms. Wait for the beep and hit stop. Ah the joy of not running. Check the time: 41:05, a 16 second PB. Brilliant.

Really pleased with this. I would have liked it to have felt easier but more than anything I'm happy I ignored the temptation to abandon this one. This run should stand to me in 2 weeks time for the Frank Duffy. I'll stick with my planned 4:20 min/km pace. Today I managed 4:06 min/km pace. Doesn't seem like a huge difference until I convert it into miles: then it's 6:36 pace versus 6:58 pace, over 20 seconds a mile slower. I still think it's doable.

Steady progress on these time-trials:

TT1 (20/04/13) 42:29
    TT2 (04/05/13) 42:03
    TT3 (18/05/13) 41:21
    TT4 (10/08/13) 41:05

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/356663225

Warm-up 3.22K @ 5:53 min/km [2.00M @ 9:29]

KM01 4:13
    KM02 3:54
    KM03 4:07
    KM04 4:07
    KM05 4:14
    KM06 4:04
    KM07 4:04
    KM08 4:15
    KM09 4:06
    KM10 3:59

Total 10.01 @ 4:06 [6.22M @ 6:36]

Cool-down 3.14K @ 5:47 [1.95M @ 9:18]

10K Time Trial @ <= 4:08 min/km (6:39 min/mile) | 10.01KM | 4:06 min/km (6:36 min/mile)

WTD| MTD | YTD
    29.22 | 57.12 | 1063.47|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Seriously man, whatever pace you can hold on a 10k tempo run you should be easily able to hold in a 10 mile race. Don't limit yourself by numbers on your watch and just run as fast as you can...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Seriously man, whatever pace you can hold on a 10k tempo run you should be easily able to hold in a 10 mile race.

You didn't see me at the end of Saturday's TT. Big red head on me and it was touch and go for a while whether I was going to get sick or not. That third lap was hard work. If I had to tag on two more laps? I don't know it could have turned ugly.
    Don't limit yourself by numbers on your watch and just run as fast as you can...

Lap 3 on Saturday was curious alright. I ran as fast as I could (on a solo TT) and I only looked at the watch when I had around 500ms to go. I was really surprised to be running at 4:07 average pace, I was convinced I'd been going slower. Not quite sure what that tells me about watching the watch. I think I relaxed mentally by not looking at the watch so didn't feel as much pressure to keep certain numbers on the screen.

outforarun wrote: »
    Lap 3 on Saturday was curious alright. I ran as fast as I could (on a solo TT) and I only looked at the watch when I had around 500ms to go. I was really surprised to be running at 4:07 average pace, I was convinced I'd been going slower. Not quite sure what that tells me about watching the watch. I think I relaxed mentally by not looking at the watch so didn't feel as much pressure to keep certain numbers on the screen.

I think it's an important aspect of your running to not get too glued to the watch. Maybe a glance after half a mile to make sure you are on track but after that don't get too stuck on numbers and learn to feel the effort. Don't be afraid to let the pace slip on uphills and push on on downhills etc. Often pace drops and we don't even know until afterwards that it was a slight uphill.

Even if you take the tempo on saturday as your best 10k race pace; Mcmillan is saying 68:3x; I think you can run 66-67 minutes if you let yourself but if you aim for 69:5x and stick to that pace then that's the best you will get. Then if the course is a bit long by the Garmin you run the risk of even failing to go sub 70. Just saying that your best strategy should be to go out hard and relaxed and try to hold position or push on past others; let the result be whatever it is.

Was shattered Saturday evening and went to bed early. So woke up early on Sunday and decided to head out straight away. Was on the road just before 7:00.

Started with a lap of my new Kilmainham-Inchicore-SCR-Heuston loop. I like running residential when most people are still inside asleep. Stopped after 1KM to switch the Garmin back to miles. Then over to Islandbridge and into the Park for one lap. Back over to home for 3 more urban miles and that was that. 14 miles done and dusted by 9 am. Great to have the whole Sunday free ahead of me.

Legs felt surprisingly ok despite Saturday’s efforts. And I had to concentrate on keeping the average pace slower than 8:45 min/mile.

It’s been a good week’s running: discovered two new doorstep loops (3.4M and 3.0 M), set a 10K training PB, and clocked up 40+ miles.

M0.62 9:35
    M01 8:40
    M02 8:42
    M03 8:42
    M04 8:56
    M05 8:39
    M06 8:44
    M07 8:37
    M08 8:35
    M09 8:54
    M10 8:39
    M11 8:35
    M12 8:48
    M13 8:52
    M0.48 8:35

Total 14.10M @ 8:45

10K Time Trial @ <= 4:08 min/km (6:39 min/mile) | 10.01KM | 4:06 min/km (6:36 min/mile)
    LSR 14M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | 14.10 | 8:45

WTD| MTD | YTD
    43.32 | 71.22 | 1077.57|

I think it's an important aspect of your running to not get too glued to the watch. Maybe a glance after half a mile to make sure you are on track but after that don't get too stuck on numbers and learn to feel the effort.

Point taken. I already do this on longer slower runs. I think I need to train myself to do this more on shorter faster runs.
    Even if you take the tempo on saturday as your best 10k race pace; Mcmillan is saying 68:3x;

Ok now that's more feasible. If I maintained the same pace as Saturday I'd get a 65:59. I was wrecked at the end of Saturday's TT and I genuinely don't think I could have kept it going for nearly another 4 miles. But a 68:3X, well that's 4:15 pace. That's as slow as my slowest KM on Saturday. Curse you, you've got me thinking that might be possible.

Hands-up, if I have to be honest I wanted to have my cake and eat it. My cake being a sub 70 and eating it being doing it without killing myself. So a 69:5X would maybe do that for me. I'm not really giving it my all that way am I?

Thanks for pointing this out.

I have always found that the very best pace I can hold for 6 miles in training (yes I mean totally wrecked; red faced, wretching etc) is the same pace I can hold for a half Marathon. Race conditions I reckon should bring out that little bit more in you (and you should be tapered and feel fairly fresh coming into a race). Go for it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I have always found that the very best pace I can hold for 6 miles in training (yes I mean totally wrecked; red faced, wretching etc) is the same pace I can hold for a half Marathon. Race conditions I reckon should bring out that little bit more in you (and you should be tapered and feel fairly fresh coming into a race). Go for it!!
    How far out from a race would you do that?

How far out from a race would you do that?

I'm not sure if this is right, but I would usually attempt that about 10 days before the race. It's always been a great predictor of my time/pace.

Rain jacket on this morning. 5 recovery miles at 6am. Started very slow and pace gradually picked up almost without me noticing. Finished the run with an average pace just a little too fast. Legs ok.

Only discovered today that Amphibian King have a store in Ashtown. Brilliant. I'll definitely take a run over there.

M01 10:03
    M02 9:12
    M03 8:56
    M04 9:04
    M05 8:56

Total 5.06M @ 9:14

Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.06 | 9:14
    13K General Aerobic with 5K at 4:15 min/km | |
    LSR 16M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    5.06 | 76.28 | 1082.63|

• Advertisement

Ran home from work yesterday. Plotted out a route on Google Maps beforehand. I never cease to be impressed at how accurate the distance measurement tool is.

Once again I forgot to pack my little rucksack (the one I use to carry essentials in) into my big rucksack. So I ran this with the big rucksack, with essentials and non-essentials. I definitely felt the extra weight. I weighed the bag when I got home, 4.5kilos. In fact my knees ached a bit yesterday evening, I wonder could the extra weight have caused this.

I ran along the SCR from town to Kilmainham, then along Emmet Road to Inchicore, then down Sarsfield Road following the DCM route in reverse. 4.5 miles completed as I go over the bridge in Chapelizod (just as Google Maps had promised). Into the Park, up Acres Road, down the Kyber, out Park Gate and home via Heuston.

Between the extra weight and the overcast and humid conditions, general aerobic pace felt tougher than normal. Sweaty and uncomfortable run. Was accompanied for the last two miles by hundreds of flying ants.

I've decided to try my two vegan days + one vegetarian day a week experiment, inspired by Scott Jurek's plant based diet. The vegetarian day is fine and to be honest I probably do one or two of these a week anyway without really noticing. The vegan day is tricky. Breakfast was porridge made with water and a sprinkling of granola and brown sugar, lunch was a lentil and mixed veg salad, evening meal a noodle dish with tofu and veg. Some bananas and oranges as snacks during the day. I didn't realise how much I'd miss dairy, no milk, cheese or yoghurt is hard.

Plan is to keep this going till year-end (unless I feel I'm reacting negatively to it) and see what differences I see, if any, in terms of weight, performance and recovery.

M01 9:00
    M02 9:02
    M03 8:53
    M04 8:48
    M05 9:08
    M06 9:32
    M07 9:22
    M08 9:04

Total 8.16M @ 9:07

General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 8.16 | 9:07

WTD| MTD | YTD
    13.24 | 84.44 | 1090.79|

Recovery run home from work today along the canal. Legs felt better than I expected and I felt I had a nice rhythm going. A surprisingly enjoyable run along my least favourite route. As with Tuesday, average pace was just a little too fast. Need to make more of an effort to slow down a little more on recovery and make sure they don't start becoming general aerobic runs. Midweek runs are looking a bit mono-paced.

M01 9:14
    M02 9:22
    M03 9:10
    M04 9:06

Total 4.09M @ 9:14

Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.09 | 9:14

WTD| MTD | YTD
    17.31 | 88.53 | 1094.88|

Saturday 17 August

I’d been juggling potential 10 mile paces in my head all week. They range from 4:15 km/min (6:50 mile/min) to 4:20 km/min (6:58 mile/min).
    So Saturday the plan was to try 5K at the higher end of this range and see how it felt. I made a point of reminding myself that just because I was running only 5K it wasn’t going to feel easy.

I set the watch to metric and headed out on a 4K warm-up, bringing me onto my speed-work loop round the North Road in Phoenix. Hit the lap button and start the fast 5K. It immediately feels difficult to hit target pace, but I put this down to incline, wind (and about 4hrs sleep the night before).The effort feels exaggerated to hold 4:20 pace. As expected though the run down Chesterfield gets me back on track and by the time I’m back on the North Road I’m running at average pace of 4:14. It actually creeps up to 4:10 pace before I deliberately apply the brakes. This isn’t a time-trial. I hold slightly under target pace for the remainder of the 5K. It definitely wasn’t comfortable, but at the same time I wasn’t hurting like last week at 4:06 pace. Finished with a 4K cool down. I completely forgot that I’d intended general aerobic pace for the first and final 4K of this run.

So after that I’m still juggling potential 10 mile paces in my head, not much the wiser. I’m sure 4:15 will feel easier (at least at the start) on race day. Part of me is thinking hold maybe 4:18 for the first 10K and then push over the last 6K. We’ll see.

4.01K @ 5:51 min/km (2.49M @ 9:25 min/mile)
    5.01K @ 4:13 min/km (3.11M @ 6:47 min/mile) (1100M for the year)
    4.06K @ 5:13 min/km (2.52M @ 8:24 min/mile)

Total 13.09K @ 5:01 min/km (8.13M @ 8:04 min/mile)

Sunday 18 August

I’d been wondering if 16 miles was too many for the Sunday before Frank Duffy and I had been thinking of reducing this one. I woke up feeling jaded on Sunday and this made up my mind for me. I’d do 12 miles, this would still bring me over 35 miles for the week (I want to keep weekly mileage between 35 and 45). I was out before 8 am for these. Legs didn’t feel great at the outset of this meander round the Park. I felt a bit heavy and just wasn’t enjoying this one. On around the 10th mile I picked up a little and part of me was thinking maybe 16 would be ok, but I’d given a ETA to be back home so there was no changing my mind now. Unless I’m completely shattered after next Saturday’s race, I’ll do 16 next Sunday.

M01 9:27
    M02 9:00
    M03 8:43
    M04 8:35
    M05 8:18 (LSR!)
    M06 8:37
    M07 9:05
    M08 9:00
    M09 8:50
    M10 8:56
    M11 8:50
    M12 9:07

Total 12.02M @ 8:52

Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.09 | 9:14
    13K General Aerobic with 5K at 4:15 min/km | 13.09K | 5:01 min/km (with 5K @ 4:13 min/km)
    LSR 12M @ 8:45 to 9:00 (reduced from 16M) | 12.02 | 8:52

WTD| MTD | YTD
    37.46 | 108.68 | 1115.03|

Five tired and sleepy recovery miles just after 6:00 this morning. There was no fear of me running this one too fast.

Started off with a lap of my Inchicore / SCR / Hueston Loop. Off in my own world when around Richmond Park I think to myself, wow that seagull swooped a bit close for comfort! I watch as it flies up near a chimney turns around and swoops straight back down at me, flying only a metre or two over my head! It’s a big gull as well not one of those crow sized ones. I run closer to the wall for 50 metres or so as the gull continues to caw overhead, but it can’t swoop me anymore. After that I’m out of its territory and I run on safely. Crazy. Must be newly hatched chicks about.

Complete the run (with one eye on the sky) with the legs feeling less tired than they did at the outset.

Eight miles planned for tomorrow. Two more rounds with the crazy gull.

M01 10:08
    M02 9:24
    M03 9:06
    M04 9:09
    M05 9:13

Total 5.12M @ 9:24

Week Beginning 19 August Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.12 | 9:24
    Frank Duffy 10 Miler targeting ~ 6:50 min/mile | |
    LSR 16M (tbc) @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    5.12 | 113.80 | 1120.15|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

I, too, have had to fight off a gull on an early morning run in my time. At least it's early morning though, you can look like some loon swinging for local fauna!

You're in great form for that sub 70 ten miler, and you should definitely go at it hard. 10 miles is a great racing distance, start off at your target pace, and pick it up once you hit your rhythm. Even if you feel you're running out of steam, you won't have far to hang on.

The bed won this morning. Every so often it does. Alarm went at 5:00, it was dark out, my ‘staying-in-bed’ voice said ‘C’mon give me a break please’, my ‘HTFU get up and run’ voice waited for a nanosecond and said ‘Oh go on then’. I was back asleep within seconds.

I had aimed to get extra sleep this week in build up to the race, so I reckon no harm done. I’ll do 5 miles tomorrow after work instead of 4 and I’ll get out Friday morning for 4 miles. Stretches tonight for sure.

Vegan day today (and again tomorrow): porridge made with water topped with sprinkling of brown sugar and some granola; ridiculously expensive cereal bar in work in the morning; potato, broad-bean, pepper and peanut salad with smoked paprika, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil; afternoon some ridiculously expensive vegan biscuits; banana and 4 satsumas; lentil and Tofu stew this evening.

I was supposed to be doing 4 miles recovery today, but I've shoved that forward to tomorrow morning. Today I did 5 miles home from work to make up a little for losing my battle with the bed yesterday morning. Wasn't sure what pace to run this at so decided to just run at whatever pace felt comfortable and enjoyable. This turned out to be 8:48 pace. Glad I went a little faster than usual for a midweek runs. Legs feel better for it.

Looking forward to Saturday now.

M01 9:39
    M02 8:49
    M03 8:33
    M04 8:13
    M05 8:45

Total 5.00M @ 8:48

Week Beginning 19 August Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.12 | 9:24
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | DNS | DNS
    5 Miles @ enjoyable pace | 5.00 | 8:48
    Frank Duffy 10 Miler targeting ~ 6:50 min/mile | |
    LSR 16M (tbc) @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    10.12 | 118.80 | 1125.15|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

have you got a race strategy sorted yet?

Go out slow or fast (as its a downhill 1st mile)??
    Go easy on the uphill drag - Mile 2-4.5
    Make up time on Downhill 4.5-7.5
    Grind it out on last 2.5

Or is it an even split?

have you got a race strategy sorted yet?

Go out slow or fast (as its a downhill 1st mile)??
    Go easy on the uphill drag - Mile 2-4.5
    Make up time on Downhill 4.5-7.5
    Grind it out on last 2.5

Or is it an even split?

I'll get no work done tomorrow thinking about it. I think you're right though, the course profile will have a big role to play. I had been thinking of starting at 4:18 min/km [6:55 min/mile] and then trying to up the pace over the last 2 or 3 miles, but with hills near the end that doesn't make too much sense.

I'll probably aim for 4:10 min/pace [6:42 min/mile] down Chesterfield for the first mile. Then I will aim to be averaging 4:15 min/km [6:50 min/mile] by the time we get back to Castleknock Gate. That'll be the key section, if I can hit 4:15 / 6:50 and feel relatively comfortable then I'll go for it. Hopefully the second and full descent of Chesterfield will see me continue to hold 4:15 /6:50 pace and have me recovered enough to tackle the final hilly miles.

Can't wait.

By the way. Enjoying your log. Nice to compare notes with another M40 running mostly in PP. Some splendid process there. That 38 minute 10K stands out, excellent run. good luck yourself on saturday. Two questions: 1) how do you find the Brooks ST-5s? I'm going to run over to AK in Ashtown the weekend after next and will be tempted to pick up a pair. 2) Is it Khyber or Kyber?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Cheers for that.
    I enjoyed my 30:30 5 miler more, I'd class that as my standout race performance this year.

On your Q's:
    I find the St5's very good. As I'm over 13st, I reckon I need something with extra cushioning. I wore than at a HM recently and they were fine.

But, part of me thinks I'll go for a lighter shoe next year!! Just for the choice!

(2) it's Khyber.

Best of luck on Sat.

Advertisement