Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Got out for 4 recovery pace miles this morning shortly after 6:00. A light rain falling for this one. Not much to report other than a gorgeous pink sunrise.

Achilles is a bit sore today; of course it would be.

M01 9:55
    M02 9:10
    M03 9:02
    M04 9:17

Total 4.03M @ 9:21

Week Beginning 19 August Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.12 | 9:24
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | DNS | DNS
    5 Miles @ enjoyable pace | 5.00 | 8:48
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.03 | 9:21
    Frank Duffy 10 Miler targeting ~ 6:50 min/mile | |
    LSR 16M (tbc) @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    14.15 | 122.83 | 1129.18|

Pre Race

I was nervous about this one. I hadn’t felt nervous about a race in sometime. I was going to try for 4:15 min/km (6:50 min/mile) pace. I had never tried to run so far so fast before.

The legs felt ok Saturday morning, so no excuses there. The weather was grand, maybe just a little humid, but mostly ok, so no excuses there either. I did a short warm-up from Island-bridge Gate up to the start line. With about 10 minutes to go I was in settled into a pretty crowded Wave-1 pen. I have the watch set to metric, I’m finding it easier to race to metric: the pace fluctuates less, the kilometers tick off quicker, and well 4:15 metric doesn’t seem as daunting as 6:50 statute.

My race plan was pretty simple, in my head I’d divided the course into 4 sections.
    1. Aim for average pace 4:10 min/km [6:42 min/mile] before we turn off Chesterfield for the first time.
    2. Aim for average pace no slower than 4:15 min/km [6:50 min/mile] by the time we’re back up at the Castleknock Gate.
    3. Hold this pace and recover a little on the second descent of Chesterfield.
    4. Then dig in for the final hilly 3 miles.

Section 1

Glad to get started. There was a bit of congestion for the first few 100 metres. To be fair I probably started a little too far back in the wave. It wasn’t until we got to the Phoenix that I could run without having to weave left or right. Pace was showing at 4:07 min/km [6:38 min.mile], it felt fine but this is very early days and downhill so I didn’t push the pace any further and left it drop gradually. I am spot on target at 4:10 min/km [6:42 min/mile] as we leave Chesterfield and head up behind the zoo.

Section 2

I’m still overtaking people as we join the North Road. I stay close to the left hand side of the road, moving slowly from one group of runners onto the next. Part of me said I should ignore the watch until we reached Castleknock. But I need the feedback, I don’t want to drop off the pace. It drops to 4:12 min/km [6:46 min/mile], that’s fine. As I go through the three mile mark I’m very aware that my legs feel like they’re working, my breathing is pronounced but comfortable, and I’ve a good sweat worked up already. I’ve never run the early stages of a 10 miler at this intensity before. I’m not enjoying the moment because I’m worrying about how I’ll feel later.

Section 2 was always going to be a key section. Could I reach Castleknock Gate feeling relatively comfortable at 4:15 min/km [6:50 min/mile]. Pace had dropped to 4:14 min/km [6:49 min/mile] when we reached the end of North Road. The stretch along the path up to Castleknock was pretty crowded. I didn’t bother trying to overtake and just settled into the middle of a group travelling at more or less my pace. I kept checking the Garmin and it held at 4:14 min/km [6:49 min/mile]. Delighted to turn back onto Chesterfield. Section 2 completed on target. Race on.

Section 3

Kept the effort steady, increased my stride a little and reminded myself to enjoy this descent. I’m still mostly overtaking people at this point, though not as many as before. I’m overtaken by one or two other runners. There’s good support from the roadside along this stretch. Legs still feel worked but ok. Lungs also feel worked but ok. Gradually the breathing becomes easier as the descent continues. We run through the triangle by the Papal Cross. I’m genuinely surprised when I realize we’ve nearly completed 10K. That just flew past. Onto the path for the final piece of Chesterfield. I go through 10K in 42:21. That’s 8 seconds faster than the first of the four 10K time trials I ran in the last few months. (I do think these time trials have been very beneficial – physically and mentally). I’m into unknown territory now, I’ve never been running at this pace with 10K already in the legs.
    Some guy was calling our positions (P450th I think was mine). Was he counting!
    We leave the safety of Chesterfield and swing right. The fun would be starting soon.

Section 4

Still picking people off. One guy says to his companion “three more 7:15s and we’re there”. Wasn’t sure what to make of that. Maybe a lot of runners were banking over the first 7 miles and would then drop the pace on the hills? Maybe I should have banked more? The Garmin is still showing 4:14 min/km [6:49 min/mile]. I had hoped that it would show 4:13 min/km [6:47 min/mile]. I’m feeling ‘good’. I tell myself there’s only 2 point something miles to go. Last 100ms of downhill, build up some momentum and then onto the first hill.

It’s not too bad. Head down and push, I want to try keep the pace up. Overtake one or two more runners but the field is getting more and more spread out now. Very happy to still see 4:14 min/km [6:49 min/mile] as we go through the S-Bends. Through the water point. I’m tiring.

Right at the bottom of the long incline up the Glen Road I see the pace drop to 4:15 min/km [6:50 min/mile]. I stop looking at the watch and just focus on the hill. Hard enough work. Pass one or two runners who are feeling it more than I am. I’m very happy to pass the 9 mile mark. But I know without looking that the pace has dropped. As ever I hate that section just after the worst of the hill. I need to learn to push here, rather than relax a little thinking the hard-work is done. I’m overtaken by two runners I’d seen a few rows ahead of me at the start line. They’ve upped the pace and I try briefly to stay with them. Legs and lungs object. Onto Furze road. I know my PB is smashed and I know barring disaster that a sub 70 is in the bag. Realizing this I get a jolt of adrenaline and my pace increases almost despite myself. I start to close in on one of the two runners who’d just overtaken me. But there’s still 400ms to go, and then they also start to kick on. I still manage a near sprint finish over the last 50ms.

I finish in 1:09:13 on the Garmin covering 10.08M. An average pace of 4:16 min/km [6:52 min/mile]. Official time confirmed later in the morning as 1:09:14.

Thoughts

Mixed emotions. I’m thrilled to have gone under 70 minutes. Almost 4 minutes faster than last year. At the start of the year I would have laughed at anyone that suggested that was possible. However: just like at the 5 mile in June I’m left with the feeling that a better time was there for me if I really wanted it. I definitely could have found those extra seconds to get a 68:XX. I lost the 68:XX on KM15. I need to work on my attitude over the closing stages and I need to work on my kick over the last 800ms.

It’s not that I can’t push harder near the end, I know I can because I’ve felt worse over the last KM of training runs. I’ve ‘crossed the finish line’ on my 10K time trials hurting more than I did yesterday. Scandalous. I have to find some of the ‘nothing to lose’ attitude I have while busting a gut on Saturdays in the Park and transfer it to the race environment. I worry so much about not blowing a race that when I get to the end and know I’m going to hit my target, then relief is the main emotion. I need to replace that with hunger and go claim whatever extra is on offer.

Another excellently organized race from the Race Series, well marshaled and well measured. Great value for money. Only thing I didn’t like was running on the path after the 4 mile marker. Oh and that ever so slightly pink t-shirt is going to be fun to wear!

Statistics

01-05K in 21:05
    06-10K in 21:16
    11-15K in 21:37

Warm-up 2.43K @ 6:02 min/km [1.51M @ 9:43 min/mile]

KM01 4:08 [6:39]
    KM02 4:12 [6:45]
    KM03 4:18 [6:55]
    KM04 4:10 [6:42]
    KM05 4:18 [6:55]
    KM06 4:19 [6:56]
    KM07 4:13 [6:47]
    KM08 4:18 [6:56]
    KM09 4:14 [6:48]
    KM10 4:13 [6:47]
    KM11 4:13 [6:47]
    KM12 4:13 [6:47]
    KM13 4:21 [7:01]
    KM14 4:16 [6:52]
    KM15 4:34 [7:22]
    KM16 4:24 [7:04]
    Last 0.23K 3:48 [6:07]

Total 16.23 @ 4:16 min/km [10.08M @ 6:52 min/mile]

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/365382091

Cool Down 2.97K @ 5:55 min/km [1.85 @ 9:31 min/mile]

Official Time 1:09:14
    Position 437th of 3924 finishers
    (12th in a race of 100)
    New PB by 3:57 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

great running and a well executed plan. I'd say plenty of people banked time on the downhill, I know I did.

Nice report too, its good that there are other 'over-analysers' out there and its not just me!!
    I think the thing to do is to use the knowledge from the 10 miler in your next race.

Now that you've achieved your goal - whats next for you?

Thanks man. Congratulations yourself on your 64:23. Cracking time as expected and a great report as expected. I was actually thinking to myself as I struggled up the Glen Road that RunningKing is nearly 5 minutes up the road ahead, travelling at sub 4:00 min/km pace, seemed unfathomable to me (still does).

Yip I can over-analyze, at times, just a little.

Next for me? Well it’s a busy month ahead, in two weeks time I’ve my first ever 10K race. This is down in Blessington. I want to make official the times I’ve been recording in training over 10K. I’ll aim to better the 41:05 set on my last TT. (I hope to run a 10K in Cork in October and might target a rounder number then).

Then two weeks after Blessington I’m back in the Park for the Half. Normally I try to repeat my 10 mile pace over the 13.1M. So if I were to target and hit 4:15 min/km [6:50 min/mile] allowing for a racing line discrepancy proportional to that of Saturday’s race, I would be very close to a sub 1:30. So close that it would seem silly not to try for it . . . . .

How about you - have you put your 64:23 into MacMillan yet, I have . . .

menoscemo wrote: »
    if you let yourself but if you aim for 69:5x and stick to that pace then that's the best you will get. Then if the course is a bit long by the Garmin you run the risk of even failing to go sub 70.

+1

Thanks for that

• Advertisement

outforarun wrote: »
    Thanks man. Congratulations yourself on your 64:23. Cracking time as expected and a great report as expected. I was actually thinking to myself as I struggled up the Glen Road that RunningKing is nearly 5 minutes up the road ahead, travelling at sub 4:00 min/km pace, seemed unfathomable to me (still does).

Yip I can over-analyze, at times, just a little.

Next for me? Well it’s a busy month ahead, in two weeks time I’ve my first ever 10K race. This is down in Blessington. I want to make official the times I’ve been recording in training over 10K. I’ll aim to better the 41:05 set on my last TT. (I hope to run a 10K in Cork in October and might target a rounder number then).

Then two weeks after Blessington I’m back in the Park for the Half. Normally I try to repeat my 10 mile pace over the 13.1M. So if I were to target and hit 4:15 min/km [6:50 min/mile] allowing for a racing line discrepancy proportional to that of Saturday’s race, I would be very close to a sub 1:30. So close that it would seem silly not to try for it . . . . .

How about you - have you put your 64:23 into MacMillan yet, I have . . .

That 10k in Blessington is meant to be a fast one. (not doing it myself).
    I'm doing Athlone half 14th Sept (hopeully in 85mins according to McMillan)

The DCM race series Half - I currently plan to do that at MP - Blockic is pacing it for sub 1:30, so he's convinced me to do it, so might see you there.

That 10k in Blessington is meant to be a fast one. (not doing it myself).
    I'm doing Athlone half 14th Sept (hopeully in 85mins according to McMillan)

The DCM race series Half - I currently plan to do that at MP - Blockic is pacing it for sub 1:30, so he's convinced me to do it, so might see you there.

Yeah I'll be hovering around by the 1:30 balloons/flags. So will look out for you. Number 97.

Finished last week's running with an early (7:50 am) 10 miler on Sunday. This was meant to be a 16 miler but I was on cooking duty and would have had to get up earlier to tick off 16 and I just didn't fancy an early night on Saturday.
    I will definitely schedule 16 for next Sunday.

The legs felt very good for this big lap of the Park. I had to drop back on the pace after 5 miles. Could definitely have gone on for 16. Good week's running.

M01 9:05
    M02 9:00
    M03 8:21
    M04 8:27
    M05 8:27
    M06 8:32
    M07 9:12
    M08 9:02
    M09 8:58
    M10 8:56

Total 10.24M @ 8:48

Week Beginning 19 August Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.12 | 9:24
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | DNS | DNS
    5 Miles @ enjoyable pace | 5.00 | 8:48
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.03 | 9:21
    Frank Duffy 10 Miler targeting ~ 6:50 min/mile | 10:08 | 6:52
    LSR 10M (originally 16) @ 8:45 to 9:00 | 10.24 | 8:48

WTD| MTD | YTD
    37.83 | 146.51 | 1152.86|

Got the week started with 5 recovery pace miles under a light mist this morning. More dark than bright at 6:00am. Headed over Inchicore direction to see if crazy seagull was about. Nope, friendly skies this morning. Achilles pinging a little. Over 150 miles now for the month, feels like I've done less.

10 miles in the morning - early to bed tonight.

M01 9:41
    M02 9:01
    M03 9:04
    M04 9:16
    M05 9:18

Total 5.12M @ 9:16

Week Beginning 26 August Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 5.12 | 9:16
    General Aerobic 10M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | |
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | |
    GA 3.3M to AK Ashtown. PMP 3.3M back from AK | |
    LSR 16M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    5.12 | 151.63 | 1157.98|

Got to bed a little later than planned last night but I was determined not to skip this morning’s run. Stretched and rubbed my eyes and got into running gear in the dark. I snuck out of the house as quietly as I could and was running at 5:20am. The route would be two of my full Inchicore-SCR-Heuston loops + 1 abbreviated loop of same + a little bit.

Completely dark for the first 30 minutes or so. Nice though, more or less zero traffic, just me and my footfall. Even the gulls are still asleep. I check pace only at the end of the first loop, 9:09. Perfect.

Second loop sees the world start to wake-up and the sky lighten. I’m enjoying the run and the legs are feeling good. Spot two other runners out. I suspect the pace has creeped up a little and when I check the Garmin at the end of the second loop it shows 8:59 pace.

Nice and easy then for the final loop. Daylight now. Gulls overhead, but no Crazy Gull. I’m already feeling the sense of satisfaction of a job well done. Finish the run with average pace showing at 9:02.

M01 9:42
    M02 8:55
    M03 8:43
    M04 9:09
    M05 8:41
    M06 8:47
    M07 9:01
    M08 8:58
    M09 9:08
    M10 9:17

Total 10.06M @ 9:02

General Aerobic 10M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 10.06 | 9:02

WTD| MTD | YTD
    15.18 | 161.69 | 1168.04|

• Advertisement

nice job - fair play on getting up so early - I keep saying I'll do it, but never do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

hey, just wondering, do you plan to / how often do you review your target training paces? I've been following your log for a while now, you adopt a very methodical approach, but was wondering if you upped all your training paces by say 10% would you see a corresponding uplift in your race times? So say for example with the sub 90 HM in mind, do you think you should push the boat out a bit more in training over the next few weeks in order to achieve it? (This is not meant as a criticism at all - just curious as your at a very similar level to me and it's something I'm wondering about for myself)

Hi statss, all honest criticism whether negative or positive is welcome. Keep it coming.
    statss wrote: »
    hey, just wondering, do you plan to / how often do you review your target training paces?

Topical question insofar as it's one I've been asking myself over the last few weeks.

I would have set my paces when I started out on P&D at the start of the year and they were based around a target marathon time of sub 3:30. My faster paces would have been based around times set over 10 miles and HM distance last year.

Thing is I didn't hit my marathon target so in theory I think my PMP, LSR, Recovery and probably GA paces will not change ahead of my second P&D attempt next year. However P&D has (imo) been responsible for a marked improvement in my shorter distance paces - so the next LT and VO2 max runs I do will definitely be against revised paces.

I'm hoping that going into P&D 2014, off 35-45 miles a week and with faster fast paces I will finally finally finally break the 3:30. That monkey's having grand-kids. When I break 3:30, then the rest of the paces will be reviewed.
    with the sub 90 HM in mind, do you think you should push the boat out a bit more in training over the next few weeks in order to achieve it?

I'm reluctant to do this. The HM is the last of three races in the space of 4 weeks. In a sense I see the 10M race last Saturday as a tough training session ahead of the 10K race Saturday week, and I see both the 10M and 10K as tough training sessions ahead of the HM. In between the races I don't want to do any real intense work, the focus instead will be on keeping the mileage up, recover well and avoid injury.

This approach mimics the three 10K time trials I did in April May, each was two weeks apart and in between the focus was on mileage. I noticed definite improvement across each of these 10Ks.

nice job - fair play on getting up so early - I keep saying I'll do it, but never do!

It does help when you have no other window in which to run. The trick is getting to bed early (I have two early runs a week - I say bed but I'm actually consigned to the sofa for these to avoid waking the house, it's a comfy sofa).

At the end of each of these runs I take a mental snap-shot of how good it feels to have 8-10 miles done before 7:00 am and how the struggle with the bed (sofa) seems so long ago and unimportant.

I'm relieved your not offended by my questioning :)
    Thing is I didn't hit my marathon target so in theory I think my PMP, LSR, Recovery and probably GA paces will not change ahead of my second P&D attempt next year.

I suppose the alternative view to look at this is that if you attempt to run your PMP's and LSR a little faster, might that encourage the stimulus needed to break 3.30? It's probably a very simplistic view but I just fear you may struggle to improve over the longer distance stuff if you stick to the same training paces as before? Your 10 mile time predicts a potential marathon time of circa 3.15 - now could be an opportune time to review your training paces with that time in mind. At least if you tried them in the near future it would give you a good idea heading into P & D 2014 if they are sustainable for you. Just food for thought, my line of reasoning could be very incorrect here.

I'm reluctant to do this. The HM is the last of three races in the space of 4 weeks. In a sense I see the 10M race last Saturday as a tough training session ahead of the 10K race Saturday week, and I see both the 10M and 10K as tough training sessions ahead of the HM. In between the races I don't want to do any real intense work, the focus instead will be on keeping the mileage up, recover well and avoid injury.

This approach mimics the three 10K time trials I did in April May, each was two weeks apart and in between the focus was on mileage. I noticed definite improvement across each of these 10Ks.

Ah I see, I was going to suggest you try 5/6 miles @ HMP circa 6.45-6.50 in the lead up to the half as a confidence builder but the 10k you are doing would likely provide a similar stimulus.

I suppose the alternative view to look at this is that if you attempt to run your PMP's and LSR a little faster, might that encourage the stimulus needed to break 3.30? ... Your 10 mile time predicts a potential marathon time of circa 3.15 - now could be an opportune time to review your training paces with that time in mind.

Thought about this for most of my run home from work this evening. I hear you, I think. My crude summary, aim for 3:15 and in so doing nail the 3:30.

You could be right. Truth is I don't know. I cannot see myself targeting 3:15 (or even 3:20) next year in Cork. I've had two failed attempts at 3:30 and one failed attempt at 3:35. My gut tells me aiming for 3:15 is premature.

I could train for 3:15 sure and then race for 3:30. But then suddenly all my LSRs will have been run too fast; if you believe popular running wisdom.

Again I could be wrong but I think it was too soon for P&D this year.
    Last year I ran 1300 miles, an average weekly mileage of circa 25 miles. The bulk of these miles were run in the first half of the year. I ran 565 miles in the last 6 months of 2012 - that's just 21 miles a week. P&D says I need to be running at least 25 miles a week before starting their easiest schedule.
    I don't think I had a proper base to reap all the benefits of P&D. In fact I was injured within 7 weeks.

This year I'm (touchwood) well on track to hit at least 35 miles a week and I hope it will be closer to 40. That's over 33% more miles in the legs. I think this base will serve me well next year. Plus I did gain speed from P&D, and as I mentioned before my LT and VO2 paces will be significantly quicker heading in 2014. Basically I'm hoping I will be in a better position to do P&D justice next year. I could be tempted to increase some of the long runs from 20 miles to 22 miles, as I do think it is the endurance where I'm struggling, not the speed.

Make sense?

Do what your gut tells you, difficult to change mentally at this stage.
    2014 is only around the corner, some new challenges will be set then!

My Thursday run home for work. I'm still not a fan of these. Today's run was made less tedious thanks to statss comments above, gave me lots of food for thought and the miles ticked past quickly.

Legs don't like running immediately after a day spent under the desk. By the end of the run they felt better than at the start of the run, so job done.

The vegan experiment is going very well. Wednesday's and Thursdays are earmarked as vegan days (Mondays as vegetarian). Probably just in my head but I do feel trimmer and lighter. Body doesn't seem to be protesting on these days, it feels good. I haven't weighed myself yet so I don't know if I've lost some grammes or not. One think I have realised is that I eat a lot of dairy. I don't think this reduction in the amount of milk, cheese and yoghurt (I eat a lot of yoghurt) I consume is a bad thing.

M01 9:36
    M02 9:15
    M03 9:26
    M04 9:22

Total 4.01M @ 9:25

Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.01 | 9:25

WTD| MTD | YTD
    19.19 | 165.70 | 1172.05|

Thought about this for most of my run home from work this evening. I hear you, I think. My crude summary, aim for 3:15 and in so doing nail the 3:30.

You could be right. Truth is I don't know. I cannot see myself targeting 3:15 (or even 3:20) next year in Cork. I've had two failed attempts at 3:30 and one failed attempt at 3:35. My gut tells me aiming for 3:15 is premature.

I could train for 3:15 sure and then race for 3:30. But then suddenly all my LSRs will have been run too fast; if you believe popular running wisdom.

Again I could be wrong but I think it was too soon for P&D this year.
    Last year I ran 1300 miles, an average weekly mileage of circa 25 miles. The bulk of these miles were run in the first half of the year. I ran 565 miles in the last 6 months of 2012 - that's just 21 miles a week. P&D says I need to be running at least 25 miles a week before starting their easiest schedule.
    I don't think I had a proper base to reap all the benefits of P&D. In fact I was injured within 7 weeks.

This year I'm (touchwood) well on track to hit at least 35 miles a week and I hope it will be closer to 40. That's over 33% more miles in the legs. I think this base will serve me well next year. Plus I did gain speed from P&D, and as I mentioned before my LT and VO2 paces will be significantly quicker heading in 2014. Basically I'm hoping I will be in a better position to do P&D justice next year. I could be tempted to increase some of the long runs from 20 miles to 22 miles, as I do think it is the endurance where I'm struggling, not the speed.

Make sense?

yep all that totally makes sense, as RK alluded too, your own gut instinct will guide you. You certainly will be coming into P & D 2014 with an improved base - I'll be reading on with interest :)

ps I totally get what you mean about running home from work. Find them horrible myself, takes me ages to get going and there's always plenty of people & traffic lights getting in the way along the canal.

Been busy = haven't logged on = falling behind with updates.

Saturday

A big day – purchased my first ever pair of non-clunky runners.

I ran from home through the Park and out to Ashtown, holding General Aerobic pace. Found the AK store and wandered in. Asked if they had Brooks ST-5s, they did. Very friendly, knowledgeable and non-pushy staff. I was able to take the shoes for a spin round the block. They felt much more cushioned than I’d expected. Very snug, very light (compared to my Nimbus). Free pair of 1000 mile socks thrown in. I’ll be back.

The intention when running home was to run at PMP 7:57/58 pace (in the Nimbus). Ok it was mostly downhill but I was working very hard to keep it slow until eventually I just gave up. Don’t think PMP pace ever felt so easy.

Over 170 miles for August, I'm happy with that.

Now, when to use the new racers?

Home to AK
    M01 9:00
    M02 9:18
    M03 9:06

Total 3.33M @ 9:10

AK to Home
    M01 7:27
    M02 7:45
    M03 7:51

Total 3.33M @ 7:38

GA 3.3M to AK Ashtown. PMP 3.3M back from AK | 6.66 | 3.33 @ 9:10, 3.33 @ 7:38

WTD| MTD | YTD
    25.85 | 172.36 | 1178.71|

• Advertisement

Sunday

Started September with an early and urban 16 mile LSR. Decided to give the Park a miss for this one and ran most of my DCM12 LSR route.

Wasn’t really in the mood, and dull grey skies didn’t help. I felt a little heavy. Kilmainham to Ranelagh to Ailesbury to the Sea – to Sandymount – to Ballsbridge – to Baggot Street – an internal lap of Stephen’s Green – to SCR – to Kilmainham. Ran this on empty and I did feel a little tired over the last 4 miles or so. All the same the pace was easy to maintain and overall average pace was right at the fast end of LSR range. Some unintentionally fast miles in there. Glad to get this one done, the last 16 miler I did was in July.

M01 9:07
    M02 8:38
    M03 8:39
    M04 8:38
    M05 8:49
    M06 8:43
    M07 8:40
    M08 8:43
    M09 9:00
    M10 8:37
    M11 8:43
    M12 8:21
    M13 8:58
    M14 9:00
    M15 8:41
    M16 8:48

Total 16.10M @ 8:45

GA 3.3M to AK Ashtown. PMP 3.3M back from AK | 6.66 | 3.33 @ 9:10, 3.33 @ 7:38
    LSR 16M @ 8:45 to 9:00 | 16.10 | 8:45

WTD| MTD | YTD
    41.95 | 16.10 | 1194.81|

5:30 this morning, accidentally swiped off instead of snooze.

Wrecked this morning. My own fault as didn’t get to sleep until well gone midnight. Getting darker and getting harder in the mornings. On the road, half asleep at 5:45. A mixed bag of urban loops. I have names for my loops, so this morning it was 2 Heuston Loops (approx 1.7M each) + 1 Inchicore Loop (approx 3.4M) + 1 HSQ Loop (approx 1.2M). Bringing up a total of 8.06M.

Legs behaved well, head just wasn’t really enjoying this one.

10K plan for Saturday? I just want to make official the times I’ve recorded in training, so I’ll target 4:05 min/km [6:34 min/mile] and try improve on my best time to date 41:05. In my head a sub 90 HM later this month has become my main focus.

I plan on two more 10Ks this year: Cork Rebel Run at the end of October (dependent on work and domestic logistics) and the Aware Christmas 10K in December. Sub 40 attempts? Maybe.

M01 9:36
    M02 9:27
    M03 8:34
    M04 8:42
    M05 8:33
    M06 9:00 (1200 miles for the year)
    M07 9:13
    M08 9:09

Total 8.06M @ 9:02

Week Beginning 02 September Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | deferred | deferred
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 8.06 | 9:02
    Blessington Lakes 10K targeting 40:XX | |
    TBC | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    8.06 | 24.16 | 1202.87|

4 miles home from work. Realised half way that I was running too fast, but to get back on track I would have had to run really really slow for the last two miles. No thanks, I'm always eager to get this run from work ticked off as soon as I can, I just continued to run at what felt like recovery pace.

I aim to get up in the morning and get 5 in before work.

M01 8:56
    M02 8:48
    M03 9:14
    M04 8:51

Total 4.13M @ 8:59

Week Beginning 02 September Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | deferred | deferred
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 8.06 | 9:02
    Recovery 4M @ 9:15 to 9:30 | 4.13 | 8:59
    Blessington Lakes 10K targeting 40:XX | |
    TBC | |

WTD| MTD | YTD
    12.18 | 28.28 | 1207.00|

Good luck on Saturday, I'd expect the race day adrenaline will help you beat your training time.

Good luck on Saturday, I'd expect the race day adrenaline will help you beat your training time.

Thanks. I'm starting to look forward to this now. I'll set out at 4:05 pace and see how I feel after say 5K. If that race day adrenaline is flowing I might crank it up for the second half. Otherwise I'll try hold 4:05 for 9K then go all out on the last K. I need to keep in mind that my training 41:05 was set against 10K neat on the Garmin where I had no racing line to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Best of luck tomorrow. Lots of great suggestions on this thread at the moment. If I were you, with your training done (and I wish I were!), I'd be looking for that 39:59. I think you have it in you. Either way, I look forward to reading how you got on! I hope you smash it. :)

Pre-Race

Race day began early. I was up at 6:45. Pretty grim looking outside, wet, dull and grey. I throw on a tracksuit bottom and a rain-proof top over running gear. I’m wearing Nimbus as I still haven’t tried the ST5s. Catch a Luas to Tallaght. Find the 65 stop and get bus to Blessington. I’m early and there’s not a lot open in Blessington at 9 am on a Saturday morning. Find a café for some tea and a scone. At around 9:45 I walk out of town and down to the bridge. There’s already quite a bit of activity. Registration takes about 60 seconds. I pin on my number, put tracksuit bottoms into rucksack. Trip to portaloo and head off on a warm-up run.

I run back the course to beyond the 9K mark. Legs are feeling good. There’s a slight breeze against me as I head back to the bridge. Jacket off and drop bag. Portaloo trip number 2. Raining and cold. Some stretches out on the road. I see this lean black guy warming up and think to myself he must be a contender then tell myself not to judge a book by its cover.

A few minutes later we all find our places in the field of runners behind signs held aloft for sub-60, sub-55, sub-50, etc. I join the sub 45 card. It’s been a long day already and I’m anxious to get going. A group of very good drummers leads us on to the bridge. The drummers are a great touch, they genuinely get you pumped-up.

The plan is to better the best 10K time I’ve set in training, 41:05 and post a 40:XX. I’ll try target 4:05 min/km pace [6:34 min/mile] and try push over the last KM.

A countdown from 5 and we’re off.

Kilometres 01-05

Initial pace is quite fast. There’s a little bit of weaving on the bridge, not much. By the time we’re off the bridge everyone has loads of space. For the first KM I’m overtaking people. The Garmin is showing 3:4X min/km pace, too fast, but I feel fine, it doesn’t feel like 3:4X pace. I had thought about sub 40 in the last few days, and I was thinking about it now. Just entertaining the thought, not making any decisions. I ease off the pace a little. This one guy overtakes me, then I catch up with him. He seems to be travelling at my pace and I run alongside him. He doesn’t pull ahead or drop behind. After 500ms or so I ask him what he’s shooting for. He says he was about to ask me and says he’s not sure, around 41 minutes. I tell him that I’m going for sub 41 and that if things go ok well you never know. We tip along together at 3:58 min/km [6:23 min/mile] pace for maybe a KM and then I slowly pull ahead as he drops his pace slightly.

I’m enjoying the course, it’s great to be running along country roads. There’s good support along the way. The legs are feeling fine and the course feels fast. There’s a Termoneeny RC runner running with me now. I think he’s local as he gets quite a few shout outs. I can’t figure if he’s suffering or not. He’ll push ahead of me and then a while down the road I’ll overtake him and his breathing sounds very laboured. Then a couple of minutes later he’ll overtake me again. The two of us aren’t being overtaken by anybody and we are gradually overtaking others

I’m not watching the Garmin too much, but it’s dropped to 4:00 min/km [6:26 min/mile] pace and seems to be holding there. So be it, I’ll keep the effort even and if it’s still showing at 4:00 min/km pace after 7 or 8 Kms then I can see if I’m able to push or not.

I cover 5K on the Garmin in 20:00 neat.

Kilometres 06-10

The Termoneeny RC runner gets another shout out as we turn back toward Blessington. I know there’s a hill coming up soon enough and I’m looking out for it. I’m starting to feel the effort now. I keep thinking of my 10K PBs in Phoenix, tell myself I’ve nearly completed 2 laps of my North Road loop, and that I’ve felt worse during some of those TTs than I do now. Eventually the hill arrives. I find it tough. And it feels long. The signs at the roadside “Never said it was flat” act as a distraction of sorts. I pass a few more runners here. One guy is walking. I’ve pulled ahead of Termoneey RC runner as the hill hits him harder than it does me. I tell myself not to drop the effort or I’ll never be able to pick it up again. Breathing is laboured and now it does feel like one of my TT runs. Good. I look at the watch and see it showing 4:04 min/km [6:33 min/mile], I’m not happy about this and push accordingly.

Eventually I crest the hill. Some spectators say it’s all downhill now. Music to my ears (although I remember a rise during the final KM from my warm-up of earlier, so I don’t really trust them). I’m counting down the KMs now. Yes the hill was hard but there really is a good downhill run afterwards. I’ve stopped looking at my watch. I keep seeing single runners up ahead and I think nah I’ll never catch them, but then I do. One says “You’re getting faster” as I pass him. One guy overtakes me after 8KMs, it’s the only time I remember being overtaken in the second half of the race. Onto the last KM, and I recognize the road from earlier now. I can hear breathing coming closer from behind as someone is slowly gaining on me. I don’t want to be overtaken but I’m hurting quite a bit.

With around 400ms to go the breathing runner is alongside me and says that the pain will be over soon. It’s the 41 minute guy from the first 2K. I say ‘Well Done!” not hiding my surprise to see him, I thought he was well back the road. Now we’re running side by side again. We don’t chat though. We see the finishing line, I raise the pace, he matches me, I raise the pace some more and pull slightly ahead of him. He both speed across the line. Done.

Cooling Down

Wrecked. Will I won’t I get sick? I don’t. Check my time on the Garmin, 40:37. :) No sub 40, but I’m thrilled all the same. That’s a nice chunk off my TT best time, and I ran 10.09 KM, not 10.01.

Chat with 41 minute guy (he finished 40:39). We thank each other for the race. He says I was steady all the way, so he can’t have been too far behind. I spot Termoneeny RC runner as well (he finished 41:19) and we also chat a while as we head back to the bridge. Everyone agreed the hill was really tough and threatened to disrupt any rhythm that had been built up. Chatted with one other runner back in the pavillion, he went sub 40 for the first time today and he too said he lost a 38:XX because of the hill.

I’m grabbing a very welcome cup of tea afterwards and realise the lean black guy is right next to me grabbing a cuppa for himself. I ask how he got on. He beams a big smile and says, “I won”.

Thoughts

Really really really enjoyed this race. Was playing it over in my head for the rest of the day. I was glad with how wrecked I felt on the finishing line. I don’t think I could have pushed much more over the last KM. I was happy that after 2K I decided to try to hold 4:00 min/km pace [6:26 min/mile] rather than 4:05 min/km pace [6:34 min/mile]. It’s given me great confidence to now have a crack at sub 40 next time out. I know it was raining before the race started and I know it was raining when the race was over, but I was so focussed on my running that I honestly cannot remember if it was raining during the race itself.

Thanks

Have to say thanks to Lakeshore Striders for an excellently organized race. Quick registration, simple bagdrop, compact ‘race-centre’, drummers, orderly marshalling, simple pace cards, good signage, KM markers along the route, well measured route, water in bottles, good run off area, friendly volunteers, chip times quickly posted, quality t-shirt, generous goodie bag, bananas, muffins and hot tea on a cold and wet morning. I finished thinking I can’t wait to run this race again next year. 5 out of 5.

Statistics

Warm-up 3.41KM @ 5:42 [2.12M @ 9:10]

KM01 3:51 [6:12 min/mile]
    KM02 4:03 [6:31 min/mile]
    KM03 3:59 [6:24 min/mile]
    KM04 4:03 [6:31 min/mile]
    KM05 4:04 [6:33 min/mile]
    KM06 4:02 [6:29 min/mile]
    KM07 4:23 [7:04 min/mile]
    KM08 3:55 [6:18 min/mile]
    KM09 3:57 [6:22 min/mile]
    KM10 4:03 [6:31 min/mile]

Total 10.09KM @ 4:02 [6.27M @ 6:29]

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372195322

Official Chip Time 40:37
    Position 35 of 526 finishers (or 7th in a race of 100)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Really really really enjoyed this race. Was playing it over in my head for the rest of the day. I was glad with how wrecked I felt on the finishing line. I don’t think I could have pushed much more over the last KM. I was happy that after 2K I decided to try to hold 4:00 min/km pace [6:26 min/mile] rather than 4:05 min/km pace [6:34 min/mile]. It’s given me great confidence to now have a crack at sub 40 next time out.

Great running and great report. You know exactly where you're at after that race. In fairness to you, it also shows that you really have been putting it in for those 10k time trials too! Excellent stuff. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

scriba wrote: »
    Great running and great report. You know exactly where you're at after that race. In fairness to you, it also shows that you really have been putting it in for those 10k time trials too! Excellent stuff. :)
    +1 Well done :D

Advertisement