Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Recovery 5 Miles

Wary heading out yesterday morning, woke with leg still aching. Ran into town along the Luas tracks. The first half mile the leg ached quite a bit and I thought I might have to abandon. I reduced the pace some more and it started to feel better. Ran to Runways to pick up some gels. Then ran across town, picked up a load of greens and some fresh fish. Ran back out of town along Jame's Street and home.

The leg had a dull ache pretty much the full 5 miles but it felt much better after the run than before the run. Iced it during the day (thanks AMK). Fair bit of Guinness and standing for the game yesterday but I could feel that whatever I had pulled or strained was recovering. Today I woke and not a thing, no ache.

All the same I'm giving myself an extra 24 hours and will try the 20 miler tomorrow morning instead of today (and I want to see 8:4X miles no 8:3X miles). It will put a bit of mileage pressure onto next week but most of that mileage is at easy pace.

M01 8:58
    M02 9:13
    M03 9:50
    M04 9:30
    M05 9:28

Total 5.04M @ 9:24

P&D55 Week 8 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 11K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 11.03 [6.86M]| 5:42 [9:10] average stride 3:32 [5:41]
    MLR 12M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | 12.06 | 8:26
    LT 16K with 10K at 4:10 to 4:15 | 16.15K | 4:44 [7:38] with 10.03K @ 4:14 [6:50]
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.04 | 9:24
    LSR 20M @ 8:30 to 8:45 | |

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining | Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    37 / 37 / 00 / 00 / 49 | 33.99 / 100.33 / 363.77

LSR 20 Miles

Monday morning and the left knee area feels fine. Right glute instead is acting up a bit. Nobody said P&D was going to be easy.

Skins sleeveless base layer with t-shirt. I’m thinking about wearing the Skins for Cork, unless it’s a scorcher. Fit is so comfortable and there is zero nipple chaffing. Wore the gel belt that I picked up in Cork last year. I plan on running all the 20 milers with gels after 5, 10 and 15 miles. Ate a banana.

Set out on my longest run of 2014 just after 9:00am. Plan was simple – enter Phoenix at Islandbridge Gate – 3 main-road anti-clockwise laps of the Park, then out Islandbridge Gate and home via HSQ. I’d be paying close attention to the legs and to the Garmin, I want to finish with an 8:4X average pace.

Took a little bit of time to slow-down and get the pace to 8:40, once I got it there I didn’t see an average pace faster than 8:40 for the rest of the run. The legs took about 4 miles to warm-up properly but I was happy that neither leg was complaining. Took first gel after 5 miles. My plan on race day is gels after 8K, 16K, 24K, 32K and carry a fifth just in case.

Tipping along nicely, the pace feels very very comfortable. Legs continue to behave. Take second gel after 10 miles. I’m enjoying the run, all it’s missing is a bit of sunshine. I’m going through the s-bends for the second time and the Garmin beeps for 12 miles, just then I get a twinge from lower left hamstring, not the same place as Thursday night, and not as sharp as Thursday night. I keep running and keep fingers crossed it doesn’t twinge again. Mile 13 is the slowest of the day.

For the third lap I can feel the left hamstring a bit tight, not sore and no more twinges, just a tightness. Final gel at 15 miles. I exit at Islandbridge and a mile and a bit later I’m done.

The positives: I kept overall average pace (8:42) at the slower end of target pace and ran no miles faster than LSR pace. 8:42 felt very very easy. I felt good energy wise the whole way round, no flagging near the end, maybe this was thanks to the gels. I read someone on here saying that if you don’t feel a drain near the end of an LSR then you are not gaining any stimulus from the training session. So not 100% sure if feeling good on mile 20 is a complete positive or not. Thursday's sore point didn’t act up.

The negatives: left hamstring acted up. I’m finding that the cumulative impact of weeks 7 and 8 has been heavy on the legs. I feel I’m running on thin ice at the moment. I’m going to have a look at these AIS exercises of Stazza’s, they seem to be working well for several runners on here.

Post LSR weigh-in 71.70Kg. Nearly a kilo heavier than last week - I'm blaming the Italian Granny who's currently taken over our kitchen.

M01 8:40
    M02 8:36
    M03 8:30
    M04 8:40
    M05 8:39
    M06 8:47
    M07 8:55
    M08 8:40
    M09 8:45
    M10 8:35
    M11 8:37
    M12 8:41
    M13 8:59
    M14 8:43
    M15 8:43
    M16 8:31
    M17 8:33
    M18 8:40
    M19 8:49
    M20 8:51

Total 20.05M @ 8:42

P&D55 Week 8 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 11K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 11.03 [6.86M]| 5:42 [9:10] average stride 3:32 [5:41]
    MLR 12M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | 12.06 | 8:26
    LT 16K with 10K at 4:10 to 4:15 | 16.15K | 4:44 [7:38] with 10.03K @ 4:14 [6:50]
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.04 | 9:24
    LSR 20M @ 8:30 to 8:45 | 20.05 | 8:42

38 / 38 / 00 / 00 / 48 | 20.05 / 120.38 / 383.82

Recovery 6 Miles

Stepped outside this morning for 6 recovery miles and first thing I notice was that it wasn’t completely dark, that and the light rain.

The plan for week 9 of P&D is to run today, rest tomorrow, run the midweek MLR after work on Thursday, then easy runs Friday and Saturday before another tough test on Sunday.

The goal for this week is to get some proper stretching and core work done and hopefully have all kinks and niggles and aches ironed out come Sunday morning. Concern areas are left hamstring and right glute. If I get through Sunday’s run in one piece I’ll be happy and then I have a ‘recovery’ week to look forward to.

I’m definitely feeling the training at the moment, I know I have a buffer week to play and I could run it as an easy recovery week, but I want to try keep it unused for a while longer.

Legs were not happy for the first half-mile this morning, everything was protesting, yesterday’s 20 miles still very much in the system. Ran two laps of my 3 mile loop. Checked pace at the end of lap 1 and it was showing 9:26, I thought it’d be slower. Made sure to keep average pace no faster than 9:20 over the second lap. Glad to finish. Legs felt a bit better at the end of this run.

Very happy to have a break now until Thursday evening.

M01 10:03
    M02 09:01
    M03 09:14
    M04 09:19
    M05 09:13
    M06 09:36

Total 6.03M @ 9:25

P&D55 Week 9 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.03 | 9:25
    MLR 14M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | |
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    Recovery 10K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | |
    PMP 26K with 19K @ 4:43 | |

39 / 39 / 00 / 00 / 47 | 26.08 / 126.41 / 389.85

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

outforarun wrote: »
    Hi Neilc. If you're reading; I'm just curious to know how you've navigated mesocycle 2? Any issues? Personally I've found the jump in mileage and extra speedwork is pretty demanding. Mesocycle 1 was just a warm-up.

Hi, sorry missed this post the other day.

Mesocycle 2 went fine without any issues really. I hit or came close to hitting all my planned paces so was happy enough. Had a big confidence boosting MP run last week, 18 miles with 14 at MP. Averaged 7:20 for the 14 and was delighted, the exact same avg pace I hit on my final MP run last year before Barcelona where I PB'ed.

So the signs are good but if I'm honest motivation has been my biggest problem this time. I just haven't really been enjoying it. I think I'm going to take a extended break from training plans after London and just take it easy for a while. Hopefully the mojo returns after that.

Have enjoyed following your log. Hopefully your niggles come to nothing, if you stay injury free you're going to have a great run in Cork!!

neilc wrote: »
    Hi, sorry missed this post the other day.

Mesocycle 2 went fine without any issues really. I hit or came close to hitting all my planned paces so was happy enough. Had a big confidence boosting MP run last week, 18 miles with 14 at MP. Averaged 7:20 for the 14 and was delighted, the exact same avg pace I hit on my final MP run last year before Barcelona where I PB'ed.

So the signs are good but if I'm honest motivation has been my biggest problem this time. I just haven't really been enjoying it. I think I'm going to take a extended break from training plans after London and just take it easy for a while. Hopefully the mojo returns after that.

Have enjoyed following your log. Hopefully your niggles come to nothing, if you stay injury free you're going to have a great run in Cork!!

Hi neilc, thanks for that. It's good to know that mesocycle 2 can be navigated safely, I hope I can follow suit. Well done on the 14M at 7:20, will you still target 3:14:59 or could you go hunting a PB.

Is the lack of motivation marathon specific? Would targeting shorter races after London get some of that motivation back? I know that racing once a month or so in the summer really kept me interested last year.

• Advertisement

I've commandeered mrs outforarun's skipping rope. Did 20 minutes of AIS stretching this evening following the link posted over on ososlo's log. I just followed the first video, the one focussing on hamstring and groin. Very simple to follow and the stretches are simple and felt effective. Will definitely be making these a feature of the running week.

Seriously thinking about using my final buffer week next week. I'd just run short and easy for maybe 3 or 4 days. This mainly because if the hamstrings are still feeling delicate after Sunday's PMP effort, then I think it might be wise to postpone the 800m intervals scheduled for next Wednesday.

MLR 14 Miles

I was apprehensive ahead of this one, worried about how the hamstring would hold up. On the road straight after work. I could feel a tightness in the left hamstring right from the start. As the run proceeded I just got used to it. No pain no twinges just tight.

I headed over to the Aviva then through Herbert Park and through Donnybrook. Lot of pavement running and I'm not really enjoying this one. I head down Eglington Road and onto Milltown Road. Lovely smell of food coming from the Dropping Well. I turn onto Orwell Park, some impressive houses along this stretch.

I notice that average pace has dropped to 8:42, slower than target. I pick up the pace as I turn toward Rathgar. The hamstring actually feels less tight at the increased speed. Through Harold's Cross and back to the canal and familiar territory. Heading toward Inchicore and Chapelizod. I hold the higher pace until the bridge in Chapelizod. Average pace is now showing at 8:29 and I know I've been clocking miles that are faster than MLR target pace. I ease up for the last 3 miles. As soon as I drop the pace I'm much more aware of tightness and aches in the left leg. Home via Heuston. Glad to have this one over.

I'm fairly certain now that I'll use my second buffer week next week. I'm not yet even convinced that I'll see this week through. It is great to have this buffer week to play.

AIS for 20 minutes this evening and iced the hamstring.

M01 8:36
    M02 8:29
    M03 8:48
    M04 8:48
    M05 8:36
    M06 8:26
    M07 8:03
    M08 8:21
    M09 8:17
    M10 8:37
    M11 8:17 (400 miles for the year)
    M12 8:22
    M13 8:34
    M14 9:06

Total 14.00M @ 8:32

MLR 14M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | 14.00 | 8:32
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

40 / 40 / 00 / 00 / 46 | 40.08 / 140.41 / 403.85

I'm calling up my second buffer week.

I've decided to err on the side of caution. I don't think I'll succeed in running this hamstring tightness off, it feels tighter today after yesterday's 14 miler. I'm worried that PMP pace on Sunday and more so VO2 pace next week will just aggravate the hamstring further.

So I'll resume P&D next Friday where I left off yesterday. No sessions skipped. Hopefully a week's rest and icing and gentle stretching will iron this out. If not it'll be physio time.

I have to take the buffer week sometime and it actually works out well logistically to take it now: I'll be in Belfast in two weeks time visiting friends and taking my buffer now means I'll have to sneak in a 12 miler instead of a 20 miler.

No more safety net though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Think your right, running probably wont help the hammer in anyway wheres a weeks rest & icing could do it wonders.

tang1 wrote: »
    Think your right, running probably wont help the hammer in anyway wheres a weeks rest & icing could do it wonders.

Thanks tang1. Leg feels better today. I'm happy I've made the right decision. Of course now that I'm not running this weekend, the sun is shining.

• Advertisement

Hi neilc, thanks for that. It's good to know that mesocycle 2 can be navigated safely, I hope I can follow suit. Well done on the 14M at 7:20, will you still target 3:14:59 or could you go hunting a PB.

Is the lack of motivation marathon specific? Would targeting shorter races after London get some of that motivation back? I know that racing once a month or so in the summer really kept me interested last year.

Main goal is to just have a good run really. Training has gone pretty well performance wise, so I'm hoping 3:14:59 is achievable. 3:10:28 is the PB, nearly 5 minutes quicker, if it's there on the day I'll take it but not going to put myself under major pressure. As regards motivation for afterwards I think it'll be just plenty of easy running for a while and see what happens. I can't quite put my finger on what's up but I suspect I'm not 100% recovered from a pretty tough second half of last year yet!

I agree with tang1, good call on using the second buffer week!!

Recovery 6 Miles

This morning the runners went on for the first time in 7 days. I reckon the week off has done me good. The left hamstring already felt much better last Sunday and since Monday I had no noticeable tightness. I was happy though to wait up for a full week all the same and allow it as much time as possible to recover. I wasted the opportunity to get some stretching in and did next to zero. Kept the legs alive with my usual walk to and from work every day plus some lunchtime strolls, so I was getting in around 5 miles walking a day.

I've been wondering if maybe the current pair of Nimbus 13 are in anyway responsible for the hamstring issue. I started wearing them on week 7. Unlikely I guess given that I've worn Nimbus 13s before without issue.

This morning I was on the road under a bright sky at 6:05am. A stiff first mile or two: left achilles and right groin the biggest protesters, but they're always quick to protest especially if I haven't run in a bit. I wasn't overly concerned about them, I was focusing on the left hamstring, would it complain?

Two laps of my 3 mile loop around Inchicore and Hueston. First loop was creaky, second loop was less creaky. But the hamstring stayed quiet the whole way round :) No twinges and no tightness whatsoever.

Tomorrow I have some strides, then there's PMP on Sunday and VO2 next Wednesday, so it still has a some sterner tests to pass. But so far so good.

(Listening to some Marathon Talk archives walking to and from work - the interview with Charlie Spedding (olympic marathon bronze in 84) in episode 29 is well worth a listen, especially when he talks about that '84 race)

M01 9:39
    M02 9:07
    M03 9:21
    M04 9:06
    M05 9:26
    M06 9:37

Total 6.03M at 9:23

Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.03 | 9:23

41 / 41 / 00 / 00 / 45 | 6.03 / 146.44 / 409.88

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Hi OFAR , Good to see you back and with no ill effects. Charlie Spedding's autobiography is a good read. Must listen to him on marathon talk, thanks.

Recovery 10K with 6x100m strides

20 minutes of AIS (hamstrings and groin) this morning before heading out. Probably just coincidence but the legs felt really spritely right from the start today, I'll do another 20 minutes before setting off tomorrow morning.

Today's run was really all about the 6 x 100m strides. How would the hamstring behave? I was genuinely apprehensive. Slow trot over to Phoenix entering at Islandbridge Gate. Haven't been to the park in almost two weeks and it felt really good to be back. Up the Khyber, a little loop by the Phoenix roundabout and then back down to the playing fields, all the time ensuring that I stayed at recovery pace. Group of runners doing little cross country loops. I run nearly a full lap of the playing fields before starting the strides on the southerly path. I'm heading toward town and into the wind. Fingers crossed.

I'm hopeless at gauging the pace of strides. A little faster than 5K pace is what I want, so 3:40 min/km would do nicely. The first 100ms I could have sworn I was running just a little faster than 3:45 min/km pace, maybe even slower. Reviewing the splits later I see I was actually travelling at 3:34 min/km. I concentrated on controlled acceleration and smooth stride with held held high. I managed to fit in 4 sets of strides along one length of the path. Turn out of the wind. Could feel a slight twinge from behind left upper leg, not sure if it was hamstring or not, but it was really slight and I wouldn't have paid it any attention if I hadn't had recent tightness there. Finish one set of strides with wind against me and turn back into the wind for final 100m. All done. Legs feel ok. :)

Slow trot home under fine rain. Looking forward now to tomorrow's PMP session, hopefully I'll get through unscathed. It's nice to be back running.

6.00K @ 5:49 [3.73M @ 9:22]
    6x100m strides, average stride pace 3:27 min/km [5:33 min/mile]
    2.47K @ 6:00 [1.53M @ 9:39]

Total 10.04K @ 5:40 [6.24M @ 9:08]

Recovery 10K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 10.04K | 5:40 [9:08] average stride 3:27 [5:33]

42 / 42 / 00 / 00 / 44 | 12.26 / 152.68 / 416.12

26K with 19K at PMP

Session number 43 of 86. Halfway there session wise.

Did 15 minutes of hamstring stretches Sunday morning before heading out at a very acceptable 9:30am for this one. Entered Phoenix at Islandbridge Gate and turned right to start lapping the park anticlockwise. The first 7K are done at regular MLR pace. At the top of North Road I’m joined by a friend, he’s cycling and accompanies me for one full lap. I start the PMP section at the intersection of Ordnance and Furze. Happy to start PMP while heading into the easier part of the lap.

I dial in the pace pretty swiftly and hold it between 4:40 min/km and 4:44 km/min [7:31 to 7:37]. After just 4K I’m thinking to myself that this is harder work than it should be. Maybe it’s because I’d been out for those 7 days? I plug away into lap 2 up past the zoo and onto the North Road. Still not halfway through the prescribed 19K and I’m thinking to myself that there’s not a hope I could ever hold this pace for 42K.

I say ciao to my mate at the Mountjoy Roundabout and continue on my own. Within 5 minutes I find I’m travelling much faster for the same effort. The pace starts creeping up and up and I start applying the brakes when it hits 4:36 [7:24]. The reason I was finding the first kilometres of PMP difficult was because I was chatting away with my mate. Now that I wasn’t talking my breathing became much more regular and the pace felt easier to maintain. I won’t be chatting to anybody on marathon day.

Finish a second lap with average pace dropped to 4:39 [7:29]. I then head up Chesterfield and turn back down the Khyber before exiting again at Islandbridge Gate. I head home via HSQ. Final average PMP pace showing at 4:40 [7:30].

Right now I reckon I could hold this pace for maybe another 8 maybe even 10K. So still a fair bit of work to be done. Doubt, the product of 5 previous blow-ups, is going to be a factor come June. I will need to watch race day fueling and make sure I stay topped up throughout.

The good news is that the hamstring didn’t complain and I experienced no tightness. V02 800s on Wednesday morning will be the final test. Get through these and continue with my stretching and I’d hope (touching wood) that I’ve dodged this hamstring bullet. The strain I had was probably minor, but could have become more serious if I’d insisted a week ago on strides, PMP etc. Happy to have called that buffer week.

‘Recovery’ week now.

Weigh-in at end of second buffer week: 73.00kg
    Weigh-in at end of week 9: 71.40kg

07.11K @ 5:20 [04.42M @ 8:34]
    19.16K @ 4:40 [11.90M @ 7:30]
    Total 26.26K @ 4:51 [16.32M @ 7:48]

Recovery 10K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 10.04K | 5:40 [9:08] average stride 3:27 [5:33]
    PMP 26K with 19K @ 4:43 | 26.26 | 4:51 [7:48] with 19.16 @ 4:40 [7:30]

43 / 43 / 00 / 00 / 43 | 28.58 / 169.00 / 432.44

General Aerobic 8 Miles

Tough enough to get up and out this morning. It’s dark again before 6am. Stars are out but it’s not cold. This was one of these runs that I wasn’t expecting to enjoy but then just relaxed into it and the miles ticked away handily. Two laps of my 3.4 mile loop plus one lap of my 1.2 mile.

Some pace practise this morning so I only looked at the Garmin at the end of each lap. Started out slow as always and at the end of the first lap the average pace was 9:21. I knew though that the pace was naturally and gradually increasing so I didn’t make any conscious adjustments. Sky is much brighter on the second lap. Legs are feeling good (slightest occasional twinge from right of groin). End of lap 2 and average pace is now showing at 9:14. Slow end of GA pace, perfect, I want to favour the slower end of target paces for a while. Finish off with a lap down Sir John’s Road and up Military Road. Final average pace is 9:10. Job done.

M01 9:55
    M02 8:57
    M03 9:04
    M04 9:27
    M05 9:05
    M06 9:01
    M07 9:02
    M08 8:45

Total 8.05M @ 9:10

P&D55 Week 10 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    General Aerobic 8M @ 9:00 to 9:15 | 8.05 | 9:10
    13K with 5x800m @ 3:45 to 3:50 off 2min recovery | |
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    General Aerobic 13K @ 5:36 to 5:45 with 8x100m strides | |
    MLR 14M @ 8:25 TO 8:40 | |

44 / 44 / 00 / 00 / 42 | 8.05 / 8.05 / 440.49

13K with 5x800m @ 5K pace

Out on the road in the dark and rain at 5:48 for 13K with 5x800m at 5K pace. Glad this is a recovery week :rolleyes:

I put on the Brooks ST5s for the first time since New Year’s Day’s Tom Brennan 5K.

So target pace is 3:45min/km to 3:50min/km [6:02 to 6:10] based on 3:48 min/km [6:07] from the aforementioned Tom Brennan. P&D look for a recovery jog between intervals of between 50% to 90% of interval time. I decide on 2 minutes recovery, which is around 70%.

I head for Chapelizod Road under heavy rain, thinking the drivers of the few cars about must think I’m nuts. After about 1K the rain stops. I do a 4K warm-up which brings me out as far the Mullingar House and back to Chapelizod Gate. I noticed a wet-dog smell opposite the church on my way out, as I head back past the church there’s a flash of grey and a crack of antlers/hooves as I startle a deer that had ventured right down to the low wall by the road-side. I must have been only 3 or 4 feet away from it.

I start my first interval shortly after the Chapelizod Gate. Haven’t a clue how this is going to go.

I find it very hard to find the right pace. I start off too fast around 3:35 [5:46] pace, I ease up but then the pace quickly threatens to become too slow, and so I push near the end of the interval to ensure I hit target. I can feel the lungs working already after the first 800; 3:44 pace [6:00].

The second, and all subsequent intervals, follow largely the same pattern, start too fast – ease-up – stop easing up – speed up. Interval 2 brings me down past Islandbridge Gate and onto Conyingham Road. The second interval felt very tough and the lungs were working harder for a 3:48 [6:07]. Was wondering how I’d manage another 3 intervals. The third one, back towards Chapelizod feels about as tough as the second one but I end up registering my fastest 800 at 3:38 pace [5:50] – too fast.

Interval 4 brings me back past Chapelizod Gate. I’m watching the Garmin willing the remaining meters to hit zero and telling myself that there’s just one more effort after this, 3:49 [6:09].

Final interval back toward town, getting brighter out now. This didn’t feel as difficult as intervals 2, 3 and 4 but all the same I was very happy to hear the Garmin beep the end of the 800. Final interval is 3:40 [5:53].

That was hardwork – I don’t think the early hour helped. A 3K+ cool down brings me home.

Only because it’s my first interval session in months I’m going to mark this session as completed on target even though I did run it with an average pace of 3:43 [6:00], 2 seconds faster than target. No such leniency next time out. I wasn’t trying to run too fast and I was genuinely trying to find the right pace. The lungs were suitably worked and I would have been more concerned if I completed the session with an average interval slower than 3:50 pace.

Sole of right foot for the first few steps from the desk was sore this lunchtime - haven't had that before.

Warm-up 4.01K @ 5:45 [2.49M @ 9:15]

Interval-1 2:59 [3:44 min/km 6:01 min/mile]
    Interval-2 3:03 [3:48 min/km 6:08 min/mile]
    Interval-3 2:54 [3:38 min/km 5:50 min/mile]
    Interval-4 3:03 [3:49 min/km 6:09 min/mile]
    Interval-5 2:56 [3:40 min/km 5:53 min/mile]

Average Interval 2:59 [3:43 min/km 6:00 min/mile]

Cool-down 3.26K @ 5:49 [2.03M @ 9:22]

Total 13.03K @ 5:08 [8.10M @ 8:16]

13K with 5x800m @ 3:45 to 3:50 off 2min recovery | 13.03K | 5:08 [8:16] average interval 3:43 [6:00]

45 / 45 / 00 / 00 / 41 | 16.15 / 16.15 / 448.59

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Do you do these intervals as part of your run i.e. Could be hilly or flat, where ever the run takes you??
    If you are doing intervals going uphill or downhill, obviously the effort will be different for each one and harder to gauge the pace.

I used to do that too, but now find it better doing them on a flat loop, such as 15 acres or the Furze/OS roads. It helps keep the pace a bit more consistent and you know what's ahead of you.

It's a great session though, especially given the time it was done at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

super session there OFAR.

Do you do these intervals as part of your run i.e. Could be hilly or flat, where ever the run takes you??
    If you are doing intervals going uphill or downhill, obviously the effort will be different for each one and harder to gauge the pace.

I used to do that too, but now find it better doing them on a flat loop, such as 15 acres or the Furze/OS roads. It helps keep the pace a bit more consistent and you know what's ahead of you.

It's a great session though, especially given the time it was done at.

Thanks AMK.

For the LT and VO2 sections I have been seeking out flat stretches. I'm using the Chapelizod Road between Islandbridge and Chapelizod Gates at the moment. There are no breaks for traffic, it's mostly flat and mostly straight; although there is a slight incline when heading out of town and 9 times out of 10 the wind is also against you in this direction. Basically I run up and down between the Gates, the u-turns can be a pain on LT runs though.

The profile will affect intervals, e.g. the 2nd 800 on Tuesday ended uphill onto Conyingham (didn't want to u-turn on an 800), that was tough, while the 5th interval felt easier as I was heading slightly downhill. But I think Tuesday there was also an element of me re-learning 5K pace.

I have earmarked the Furze/OS loop for some of my Saturday speed sessions for the second half of the year (I think it's flatter than the 15 acres and doesn't have the camber that you get on some parts of the 15 acres). But right now most of my fast stuff is done midweek mornings. Don't fancy doing the Furze/OS loop in the early dark. Maybe nearer the end of this month and May.

I'll be over on your log later to wish you luck for the weekend.

(looking to take next Wednesday off to do my 7 mile LT and will head for Furze/OS loop)

• Advertisement

statss wrote: »
    super session there OFAR.

thanks, happy that the left hamstring behaved (course sole of right foot misbehaved later in the day, if it's not one thing ....)

Recovery 5 Miles

Running along Davitt Road beside the canal yesterday evening and it actually felt like a summer evening, not a spectacular summer evening, but definitely t-shirt running. Air was heavy and warm, people out walking the canal feeding the swans, fair few runners tipping along.

For the first couple of miles of this run home from work the legs felt very heavy and very stiff. Achilles pinging under calves that weighed a tonne. I guess Wednesday morning’s VO2 session was still in the legs. I guess as well that the ST-5s demanded a bit more of the calves than the Nimbus. I was also carrying a rucksack, I reckon it added close to 3 kilos.

It wasn’t until near Suir Road Luas stop that I started to loosen up. Normally I’d head direct for Kilmainham and Inchicore from here, but I felt like running a new stretch of road and so continued to follow the canal along Davitt Road. There’s actually a nice wide pedestrian path to run on along all the way down to Tyrconnell Road. Enjoyed this stretch. Home via Inchicore Road. Legs feeling better for the run.

M01 9:14
    M02 9:25
    M03 9:17
    M04 9:20
    M05 9:28

Total 5.10 @ 9:22

13K with 5x800m @ 3:45 to 3:50 off 2min recovery | 13.03K | 5:08 [8:16] average interval 3:43 [6:00]
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.10 | 9:22

46 / 46 / 00 / 00 / 40 | 21.25 / 21.25 / 453.69

General Aerobic 13K with 8x100m Strides

Out around 6:15 Saturday morning to get this one done. Four laps of my shortest loop, Kilmainham Lane, Sir John's Road, Military Road. Pace started slower than target and I just let it gradually pick up. Legs felt fairly good for this one. Completed the sets of strides along the cycle path on Inchicore Road. Again I run these at what I think is a little faster than 5K pace, but is actually quite a bit faster than 5K pace. Finish off with another lap of my short loop.

All good, legs feeling better after the run than before.

8.83K @ 5:40 [5.49 @ 9:07]
    8x100m strides average pace 3:28 [5:36]
    2.08K @ 5:33 [1.29 @ 8:56]

Total 13.00K @ 5:27 [8.08M @ 8:46]

General Aerobic 13K @ 5:36 to 5:45 with 8x100m strides | 13.00 [8.08] | 5:27 average stride 3:28 [5:36]

47 / 47 / 00 / 00 / 39 | 29.33 / 29.33 / 461.77

MLR 14 Miles

Hugely enjoyable run this morning along the Lagan tow-path. Visiting friends in Belfast this weekend. I got up and out before 8:00 on a quiet, overcast and warm morning. Headed from Stranmillis straight to the Lagan before Lagan Meadows, joined the towpath and just started to run south.

Not too many people out, the odd cyclist and runner and we all salute each other. This is countryside running right from the start. Keep the Lagan on my left-hand side. The tow-path is around 2 metres wide and while it wasn't tarmac it wasn't concrete either, it felt good underfoot. Impossible to get lost. Windy flat route through woodland and open green spaces. Just the sound of birds, water and my footfall. I'm so distracted by my surroundings that I fail to concentrate on pace and end up running the first miles too fast.

After a little over 6 miles I spot a church beyond some fields so I decide to leave the towpath and head for it, just to see where I was. Drumbeg church. Decide this will be my turn around spot. I head back the way I came. A few switchbacks along the path back near where I started just to bring up the mileage and I'm done.

The legs felt very good this morning, no complaining from hamstrings, achilles, knees, hips or groin. I ran this a little too close to the fast side of target pace, but I don't think the legs minded.

Joined the others for breakfast, happy with my morning exploration. If I'm back here I'll try follow the path as far as Lisburn next time, would be a great 20 mile roundtrip.

M01 8:45
    M02 8:03
    M03 8:23
    M04 8:05
    M05 8:22
    M06 8:17
    M07 8:40
    M08 8:37
    M09 8:37
    M10 8:44
    M11 8:43
    M12 8:23
    M13 8:30
    M14 8:00

Total 14.15 @ 8:26

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/475015809

General Aerobic 13K @ 5:36 to 5:45 with 8x100m strides | 13.00 [8.08] | 5:27 average stride 3:28 [5:36]
    MLR 14M @ 8:25 TO 8:40 | 14.15 | 8:26

48 / 48 / 00 / 00 / 38 | 43.48 / 43.48 / 475.92

Recovery 11K with 6x100m strides

Clear and starry sky this morning. Just for a moment I thought about putting on gloves. I was out in the dark before 6:00am but after only 10 minutes or so the eastern horizon was rapidly brightening. This time next week it should be bright by 6:00.

An odd distance on the schedule today, 11K of recovery pace running. Longer than what is generally recommended for a recovery run. Only got around 4 hours sleep last night so I had no concerns about running too fast. I ran three laps of my smallest loop and then headed over to the Hilton for 6x100m strides along the double-cycle-path on Inchicore Road. The average stride pace was better (i.e. slower) today at 3:39 min/km [5:53 min/mile]. Another 2K+ at recovery pace brings me home.

I noticed afterwards on Garmin Connect that the 200ms that I use as rest time between strides is being substituted with 160ms (i.e. 0.1 of a mile). Must be a bug, I’m not on the latest firmware so hopefully updating will fix it. My previous stride sessions seem to have the same issue.

6.82K @ 5:55 [4.24M @ 9:32]
    6x100m strides @ average pace 3:39 [5:53]
    2.68K @ 5:49 [1.66M @ 9:22]

Total 11.06K @ 5:43 [6.87M @ 9:13]

P&D55 Week 11 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 11K @ 5:48 to 6:13 | 11.06 [6.87M] | 5:43 [9:13] average stride 3:39 [5:53]
    LT 18K with 11K @ 4:10 to 4:15 | |
    MLR 12M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | |
    LSR 20M @ 8:30 TO 8:45 | |

49 / 49 / 00 / 00 / 37 | 6.87 / 50.35 / 482.79

18K with 11K at LT

Took the day off work yesterday so avoided having to do this one early in the morning. On my previous LT session I pulled something in my left knee/hamstring which forced me eventually to use my final buffer week, so I was just a little apprehensive heading into this one.

Session 50; feels like a landmark session, no more LT runs after this. Headed over to Phoenix at lunchtime. In at Islandbridge Gate and headed up the Khyber then up Chesterfield. I started the LT section as I turned onto Furze Road. Plan was for 4 laps of Furze and OS (and then a little bit back down Chesterfield).

The wind is against me heading down Furze Road. As nearly always I start too fast and so focus on gently dropping the pace over the first lap. For most of the opening lap the average pace switches between 4:08 [6:39] and 4:09 [6:41]. Back into the wind for lap 2 and I ease off ever so slightly. It’s a relief on each lap to turn off Furze and onto OS. Even if OS is mostly uphill, it’s calm, I’ve the wind at my back and can hear my footfall instead of just wind in my ears. Pace has settled on 4:10 [6:42] by the end of lap 2.

As I leave Furze for the third time the pace is 4:11 [6:44]. I’m losing about a second off average pace into the wind each lap. Once again I’m happy to turn onto the calm of OS. Legs feel tired but I’m confident they’ll last the 11K of LT. Breathing is busy but controlled. My stride doesn’t feel very relaxed.

Onto the fourth and final lap, breathing gets less comfortable as I face into the wind again. Pace falls to 4:12 [6:46]. I push a little bit here, aiming to get average pace back to at least 4:11 [6:44]. I went through 10K in 41:49. Turn onto Chesterfield and most of the last K is downhill. Happy to hit the lap button at the end. Finish LT section with average pace at 4:11 [6:44].

That was tough. The last 4K were tiring, especially when into the wind. I’ll have a 10K TT two Saturdays from now and on the basis of this LT session I think I’ll aim for a Garmin 40:XX.

Bring up the 18K with a 3K+ cool-down. The final pace for the whole run is 4:43 min/km – spot on PMP pace.

03.74K @ 5:38 [2.32M @ 9:04]
    11.03K @ 4:11 [6.86M @ 6:44]
    03.50K @ 5:24 [2.17M @ 8:41]

Total 18.27K @ 4:43 [11.35M @ 7:35]

P&D55 Week 11 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 11K @ 5:48 to 6:13 | 11.06 [6.87M] | 5:43 [9:13] average stride 3:39 [5:53]
    LT 18K with 11K @ 4:10 to 4:15 | 18.27K [11.35M] | 4:43 [7:35] LT pace 4:11 [6:44]
    MLR 12M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | |
    LSR 20M @ 8:30 TO 8:45 | |

50 / 50 / 00 / 00 / 36 | 18.22 / 61.70 / 494.14

The final pace for the whole run is 4:43 min/km – spot on PMP pace.

Said it before and at the risk of annoying you, going to say it again, the form you're in, you're capable lots more!!

Said it before and at the risk of annoying you, going to say it again, the form you're in, you're capable lots more!!

Thanks. Always nice to hear a vote of confidence. Especially as confidence is something I'm desperately, desperately lacking over 26.2.

I do think that in a race environment I am close to a sub 1:30 HM. I would feel confident of racing a HM at 4:20 min/km pace. That would bring me home in around 1:31. Which if you use the rule of thumb of doubling your HM time and adding 10%, would have me coming home over a marathon in around 3:20.

What I need to restore confidence over marathon distance is to run a marathon without blowing up.

I've 5 marathons under my belt - I've blown up in them all - the worst blow-ups were the two times I targeted sub 3:30. I really don't want to blow-up again. I had a low 41:XX as for 10K heading into last year's CCM, where I targeted sub 3:35, and I still blew-up.

If I don't reach my full potential in June and come home without blowing up in 3:19, I will be absolutely over the moon, and will carry that confidence into future marathons.

Right now I feel more confident than ever of breaking 3:30. I don't feel confident of breaking 3:20, I feel this is aggressive (not impossible, aggressive).

TBH, after 5 blow-ups, if I'm going to finish with a 3:29, I'd sooner do so without blowing up while targeting sub 3:30, than suffer another death-march while targeting 3:19.

That said; I'm almost certainly going to give sub 3:20 a shot. I hope the base that I've built-up, the familiarity with higher speeds, and a greater focus on race-week and in-race fueling will make the difference this year.

I really hope you're right.

BTW - I'm sure all your niggles will iron themselves out by Sunday. Look forward to seeing how you get on. I guess you navigated the final mesocycle without issue. Best of Luck.

(if you miss your target by 30 seconds you'll have completed the unusual feat of running your race number).

• Advertisement

BTW - I'm sure all your niggles will iron themselves out by Sunday. Look forward to seeing how you get on. I guess you navigated the final mesocycle without issue. Best of Luck.

(if you miss your target by 30 seconds you'll have completed the unusual feat of running your race number).

haha well spotted :) would be nearly worth it for the almost guaranteed mention it'd get on Marathon Talk, they love 'ocd number' stories.

Advertisement