Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just a Q.
    I see you are replacing races in the P&D schedule with Time Trials. Any particular reason for this? I really think having a few races in the Marathon build up is very important. I definitely made a mistake this year by not racing any (ran in a few but as training runs).
    There are loads of races on this weekend; would you not try one of them? Even if it was only a 5k park Run I really think it would be more beneficial than another time trial...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just a Q.
    I see you are replacing races in the P&D schedule with Time Trials. Any particular reason for this? I really think having a few races in the Marathon build up is very important. I definitely made a mistake this year by not racing any (ran in a few but as training runs).
    There are loads of races on this weekend; would you not try one of them? Even if it was only a 5k park Run I really think it would be more beneficial than another time trial...

I was going to ask the same question. I followed the same plan and the only reason I didn't race both times was because there was none on at that time of year. That's not the case now though. It does say tune-up race in the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just a Q.
    yaboya1 wrote: »
    I was going to ask the same question. I followed the same plan and the only reason I didn't race both times was because there was none on at that time of year. That's not the case now though. It does say tune-up race in the plan.

Hiya guys.

Honest, I have been meaning to check races this Saturday, just haven't got around to it yet. Will have a sconce today.

The first TT of this plan I was in Milan, there I checked in advance if a race was on (guaranteed to be a flat course), it was Easter weekend though and nothing was happening. Then two weeks ago there was a 10K in the Park but it was on the Monday and it would have thrown the 17 miler that follows on the plan into the following week.

Don't know about the Park Run on Saturday, the minimum tune-up race distance asked for is 8K and I don't fancy racing to the start-line or after the finish-line to make up the distance.

In defense of my TTs - I like them and I don't go softly on them. I think I'm pretty good at pushing myself even on my own on these sessions; true the last 800ms I would probably find someone to battle with in a race and squeeze out some more seconds. My first 10K TT last year was the first time I ran that distance at sub 7:00 min/mile pace. And the second TT this year, two weeks ago, I surprised myself clocked a 39:13. I see these as breakthrough sessions. I know; it'd be better if they were break-through races.

I'm like that myself. I definitely wouldn't be going easy despite being on my own, but competition around you definitely helps you push that bit more in a race environment. Not a criticism at all, just wondering was there a reason you weren't doing the races. Your training has been pretty flawless in fairness.

I'm like that myself. I definitely wouldn't be going easy despite being on my own, but competition around you definitely helps you push that bit more in a race environment. Not a criticism at all, just wondering was there a reason you weren't doing the races. Your training has been pretty flawless in fairness.

Agree 100%, the general race-day adrenaline and the competition around you will push you that much further. If there had been 8K to 15K races on, on the Saturdays of the plan, I would have entered them. Sunday's just seem to be better days for races, but I don't want to juggle my LSRs out of Sunday.

Had a look there now on Run-Ireland and on BHAA but on the 17th I don't see anything for Dublin (or nearby).

• Advertisement

A lot of the lads are doing this: http://www.maynooth10k.ie/
    Also there is the 5 miler in terenure
    Both of these are on sunday unfortunately. but you can always juggle things and do the LSR on Monday?

I honestly think there has to be some flexibility in the P&D plan, so if the sunday races don't suit I would still do a park Run on saturday. I don't think it will matter if you race a 5k or an 8k from a training perspective (especially since you have raced 2 x 10k TT's already).
    I reckon if you did a fast one like St Annes and left the watch at home you would totally smash your PB. You may as well make some hay while the sun shines and claim an official PB, you never know if you will be in this shape again (I agree with yaboya, training has been perfect).

but you can always juggle things and do the LSR on Monday?

I honestly think there has to be some flexibility in the P&D plan, so if the sunday races don't suit I would still do a park Run on saturday. I don't think it will matter if you race a 5k or an 8k from a training perspective (especially since you have raced 2 x 10k TT's already).

I don't know about pushing the LSR to Monday. I'd need to take the day off work or else beat my early run record (currently standing at 5:02am). Then there's the knock-on effect; the final lung-buster of the plan is due next Wednesday 1600m x 3 @ 5K pace. I really don't know about running 5K race pace at St.Annes on Saturday and then repeating 5K pace in a tough session again midweek.
    I reckon if you did a fast one like St Annes and left the watch at home you would totally smash your PB. You may as well make some hay while the sun shines and claim an official PB, you never know if you will be in this shape again.

I reckon I'd set an official PB as well. But AMK's 'main-thing' mantra is coming to mind.
    (I agree with yaboya, training has been perfect).

Thanks man. I think it's been the best block of training I've ever managed. Touchwood I can navigate these last 3 weeks in one piece.

I can see definite improvements in speed (and can't wait for the second half of the year) and I'm prepared to trust that the endurance has improved sufficiently. Maybe it's all in the head but last Sunday's gel every 4 miles had me feeling I was on top of my energy levels the whole way round. With this solid P&D cycle and with good fueling on race day I'm hoping to finally avoid a blow-up and maybe for once hit my target for a marathon.

outforarun wrote: »
    I don't know about pushing the LSR to Monday. I'd need to take the day off work or else beat my early run record (currently standing at 5:02am). Then there's the knock-on effect; the final lung-buster of the plan is due next Wednesday 1600m x 3 @ 5K pace. I really don't know about running 5K race pace at St.Annes on Saturday and then repeating 5K pace in a tough session again midweek.

If you do a race on Sunday I would just push everything a day back after that. After all your race will be a Monday not a sunday as per the plan.
    Yep getting up early for that last LSR would be a pain in the arse, but might be worth it???

Maynooth 10k is meant to be fast and flat. Would be nice to go into taper with a nice new PB?

If you do a race on Sunday I would just push everything a day back after that. After all your race will be a Monday not a sunday as per the plan.
    Yep getting up early for that last LSR would be a pain in the arse, but might be worth it???

Maynooth 10k is meant to be fast and flat. Would be nice to go into taper with a nice new PB?

Fancy a 10K race on Saturday round lunchtime, Furze Road? Entrance is free, flat course, not oversubscribed, no chip timing nor goodie bag though and it's bring your own water.

Hmmm, push everything a day back? You planted a seed with that one. I'll have a look at the calendar tonight. But the smart money is still on a 10K TT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Go on, all the cool people are doing the Maynooth 10k!!!

tang1 wrote: »
    Go on, all the cool people are doing the Maynooth 10k!!!

Alarm at 4:25am on Monday morning, on the road at 4:40am for 16 miles. It's a hard sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Alarm at 4:25am on Monday morning, on the road at 4:40am for 16 miles. It's a hard sell.

When you put it like that, forget the Maynooth 10k.

I've done it :eek:, and for exactly the same session you're doing as my 10k race was on the Sunday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/445042291

Check out the time (and that was in February when it was very, very cold!)

I've done it :eek:, and for exactly the same session you're doing as my 10k race was on the Sunday: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/445042291

Check out the time (and that was in February when it was very, very cold!)

Ah Noooooooooooo!! :eek:

Let me check the calendar tonight, let me see if there is any other ripple effect down the line (and suss the vibes when suggesting disappearing for Sunday morning). I was checking about taking Monday off work and that can't happen so it would have to be the 4:40am start which I'd written off. But now that I see you've done it .......

Ah Noooooooooooo!! :eek:

Let me check the calendar tonight, let me see if there is any other ripple effect down the line (and suss the vibes when suggesting disappearing for Sunday morning). I was checking about taking Monday off work and that can't happen so it would have to be the 4:40am start which I'd written off. But now that I see you've done it .......

I went from this:

Friday 7th - 4m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    Saturday 8th - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Sunday 9th - 16m Long Run
    Monday 10th - Rest/Cross Training
    Tuesday 11th - 7m (GA) with 8 x 100m strides
    Wednesday 12th - 8m (with 3 x 1600m @ V02 Max)
    Thursday 13th - Rest/Cross Training
    Friday 14th - 5m Recovery (with 6 x 100m strides)
    Saturday 15th - Rest/Cross Training
    Sunday 16th - 12m Med/Long Run

To this:

Saturday 8th - Rest/Cross Training
    Sunday 9th - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Monday 10th - 16m Long Run
    Tuesday 11th - Rest/Cross Training
    Wednesday 12th - 7m (GA) with 8 x 100m strides
    Thursday 13th - 8m (with 3 x 1600m @ V02 Max)

I just wanted to get an official race in, as like you I hadn't done one when it was recommended earlier in the plan.

I went from this:

Saturday 8th - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Sunday 9th - 16m Long Run
    Monday 10th - Rest/Cross Training
    Tuesday 11th - 7m (GA) with 8 x 100m strides
    Wednesday 12th - 8m (with 3 x 1600m @ V02 Max)
    Thursday 13th - Rest/Cross Training

To this:

Saturday 8th - Rest/Cross Training
    Sunday 9th - 8-10k Tune up Race (9-11m total)
    Monday 10th - 16m Long Run
    Tuesday 11th - Rest/Cross Training
    Wednesday 12th - 7m (GA) with 8 x 100m strides
    Thursday 13th - 8m (with 3 x 1600m @ V02 Max)

I just wanted to get an official race in, as like you I hadn't done one when it was recommended earlier in the plan.

So I'd gain a rest day this weekend, and lose the rest day immediately after the final VO2. Hmmm. Could work.

Recovery 6 Miles

Spent yesterday evening’s short run home from work thinking about weekend running plans. Asked myself honestly do I want to run Maynooth enough to cut my Sunday evening short and start running at 4:40am on Monday morning. The honest answer is no. Yes, I’ll be a bit disappointed when running another TT on Saturday, but come Sunday evening I think I’ll feel good about my decision. I’ll stick with the scheduled days (I’m planning an additional 3 or 4 mile recovery run on the Sunday before the race).

Yesterday’s run the legs didn’t feel fresh. They were heavy from mile 1 to mile 6. I’ve come to expect this on my run-from-work-with-rucksack days. I’m fed-up with running along the canal so I changed my route: I ran instead through town and down Jame’s Street to Heuston then up Infirmary Road and into the Park by the Garda HQ. Cut down through the zoo to the Polo Grounds and then up Chesterfield before turning down the Kyber, out Islandbridge Gate and home. Didn’t enjoy this one. Right knee is niggling a little, no pain, just the slightest of niggles. I know it’s taper time but this doesn’t seem to be just in the head, will keep an eye on it. Could feel it again this morning.

M01 09:18
    M02 09:08
    M03 09:36
    M04 09:01
    M05 09:12
    M06 10:07

Total 6.01M @ 9:24

P&D55 Week 16 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    VO2max 13K with 5x600m @ 3:45 to 3:50 off 1:40 recovery | 13.02K | 5:18 average interval 3:45 [6:02]
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.01 | 9:24
    Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | |
    10K Time Trial targeting sub 39:13 | |
    LSR 16M @ 8:30 to 8:45 | |

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining | Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    75 / 75 / 00 / 00 / 11 | 14.10 / 98.01 / 752.59

Recovery 4 miles with 6x100m strides

I was able to start this one a little later than usual and so was on the road at 6:45 on a bright, warm and dry morning. I start with two laps round St.John’s Road, Military Road and Kilmainham Lane. Legs feel better than yesterday but still quite heavy, knee isn’t niggling though so that’s a plus.

Then start my strides, getting the first one done along Kilmainham Lane, then onto my cycle for the next 4 sets of strides. Because of the later hour there are some cyclists about. As I check over my shoulder to ensure the coast is clear before starting into a fast 100ms I realise that the crick in my neck from Milan hasn’t yet completely disappeared!!
    Final 100ms is back on Kilmainham Lane. Legs definitely feel better once I’d the strides completed. Checking the splits afterwards I see I logged some fast 100s, despite the effort feeling about right.

Looking forward to tomorrow now. The aim will be to try repeat 3:55 km/min pace for the first 9K and then try to steal in under 39:13 over the final K.

Signed up today for the Race Series (5M, 10K and HM) and for The Lakes 10K in Blessington.

4.39K @ 5:42 [2.73M @ 9:26]
    6x100m strides, average stride 3:21 [5:23]
    0.20K @ 5:27 [0.13M @ 8:47]

Total 6.16K @ 5:19 [3.83M @ 8:49]

VO2max 13K with 5x600m @ 3:45 to 3:50 off 1:40 recovery | 13.02K | 5:18 average interval 3:45 [6:02]
    Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 6.16K | average stride 3:21 [5:23]
    10K Time Trial targeting sub 39:13 | |

76 / 76 / 00 / 00 / 10 | 17.93 / 101.84 / 756.42

10K Time Trial

Pre TT

Summertime outside today. Gorgeous weather but not ideal for the task in hand. This would be the first time I actively target a sub 40 minute 10K in a training session. Not just any sub 40 either, target was to improve on 39:13.

As always I approached the session with a mix of dread and excitement. Lace up the Brooks securely, drink a glass of water and start my warm-up. In Islandbridge Gate, up the Khyber, up Chesterfield as far as Furze Road and hit stop and reset the Garmin. I stroll about for 2 or 3 minutes just to psyche myself up. Tell myself that this session is really the last big test of the training cycle. Get by my starting-line tree and hit start.

01K to 05K in 19:26

The start of this TT is very promising. Despite a bit of a breeze blowing against me as I travel down Furze the opening K feels very comfortable. It starts at low 3:4X pace and I gradually ease off. It's funny how much easier 3:4X pace feels on a Saturday lunchtime compared to 3:4X pace during 600m intervals early on a Tuesday morning. The opening K logs at 3:54 min/km [6:16 min/mile] pace. I turn out of the wind and onto OS Road for the first time. I'm feeling good my stride feels relaxed and smooth. The average pace settling at 3:53 [6:15]. I complete the first ascent of OS Road logging K2 at 3:51 [6:12]. Down Chesterfield now, overtaking walkers and runners. Lungs are already working but they're under control, this is not conversational pace.

As I head back onto Furze and complete my first lap I'm surprised to see average pace showing at 3:51 [6:12]. Ok time for caution, this is too far ahead of where I need to be, I start applying the brakes, not in time to prevent K3 logging at 3:47 [6:06]. Heading back down Furze Road now and I notice the breeze more than first time round. Lungs working a little harder. Average pace drops to 3:52 [6:13]. I complete K4 on OS Road and it's my slowest so far at 3:55 [6:18]. Despite letting the speed drop slightly the effort levels don't feel like they are dropping and I start to suspect that the second 5K will not be pretty. I pass the half-way point while going down Chesterfield. I don't check my 5K time.

06K-10K in 19:51

Two weeks ago I had set out aiming for at least 4:02 [6:29] pace but found myself instead travelling at 3:55 [6:18] pace. However I felt relaxed and under little pressure, I had loads of scope to ease off the pace and still come home inside my target time. Today instead I set out to target at least 3:55 [6:18] pace and found myself travelling at 3:53 [6:15], now I had far less scope to slow down and I was feeling under a lot of pressure. Breathing was now uncomfortable and my stride didn't feel fluid anymore. K6 is a 3:53 [6:14] I think this is largely due to it being mostly downhill. I feel like I'm slowing.

The mental challenge has begun. I'm not convinced I'm going to go sub 39:13 and I allow negative thoughts in. I tell myself to try hold this pace until 8K and then ease up and just log a sub 40. Or I tell myself I've already done enough, take it easy now and just complete the 10K. I remind myself that this mental game is part of the reason I love this distance and I remind myself that my average pace now at 3:54 [6:17] is still ahead of target. Just keep the legs tipping over, keep the effort honest. K7 is 3:59 [6:24].

I get to the end of OS Road and hope to recover a bit going down Chesterfield, but I get little relief. This is very very hardwork now. I fight back more thoughts of easing up. K8 beeps, logging at 4:00 [6:26] but I'm not checking my splits anymore. Passing 8K does give me a little boost; just 1 point something K to go.

Down Furze Road for the last time. Lungs struggling. Desperate to get to 9K so that I cam begin a proper countdown. Average pace is 3:55 [6:18], but I can feel the pace dropping and I know it won't be 3:55 for much longer. I'm confident though that I will run a sub 40. K9 is the slowest of the day at 4:01 [6:28]. Onto OS for the last time. One last effort. I'm imagining dropping onto my back on the grass when this is done and that thought gives me extra incentive to get to the 10K mark as soon as I can. My face feels hot. I look at the Garmin with 250ms to go. I don't check pace or time, just distance remaining. The legs speed up. Head up. Lungs really labouring. Finally the Garmin beeps for 10K and the pain ends. Hands on hips. Catch my breath. One dry retch. I check my final time and see 39:19.

Post TT

Despite not beating 39:13 I'm really satisfied with 39:19. I really didn't think I would get that close. this run was much tougher than 2 weeks ago and I reckon it'll stand to me more because of that. I think I missed out on sub 39:13 because of the heat today and because I went out too fast. I feel I learned a lesson about pacing today. I think I might be at the limits of 10K improvement off marathon-specific training. I'm really pleased that I won the mental battle during the 6th to 8th K. I'm actually more satisfied with this run than I was with the last 10K. This session I'm marking as completed on target: the target was 'to target sub 39:13' and I did just that.

Shattered for the afternoon. Napped on sofa.

Ok then - just one more lung-buster to go next Wednesday evening. Nearly there now.

Warm-up 3.67K @ 5:47 [2.28M @ 9:19]

(splits in seconds against previous 10K TT)

KM01 3:54 [6:16] (-2)
    KM02 3:51 [6:12] (-6)
    KM03 3:47 [6:06] (-7)
    KM04 3:55 [6:18] (-9)
    KM05 3:59 [6:24] (-6)
    KM06 3:53 [6:14] (-8)
    KM07 3:59 [6:24] (-7)
    KM08 4:00 [6:26] (-3)
    KM09 4:01 [6:27] (+3)
    KM10 4:00 [6:26] (+5)

Total 10.01K @ 3:56 [6.22M @ 6:19]

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/501460842

Cool-down 4.19K @ 5:39 [2.60M @ 9:06]

Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 6.16K | average stride 3:21 [5:23]
    10K Time Trial targeting sub 39:13 | 10.01 | in 39:19, 3:56 [6:19]

77 / 77 / 00 / 00 / 09 | 29.03 / 112.94 / 767.52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

Really impressive running outforarun, feel a bit lazy after reading through your training!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    Really impressive running outforarun, feel a bit lazy after reading through your training!

Thanks dazza. Glad I'm in taper now to be honest (though it didn't feel much like taper Saturday lunchtime). Was fairly shattered Saturday and Sunday afternoon.

LSR 16 Miles

Brought week 16 to a close yesterday morning. I was on the road at 9:15, marvelling at the fact that this time last week I was already showered after a 20 miler. I was curious to see how the legs would feel after Saturday's TT. The first mile beeps soon after entering Phoenix and shows at 8:26! No way is that correct, the satellites must be acting up. And in fact when reviewing the route afterwards I see that the Garmin had me starting from inside Jame’s Hospital. I don’t make any attempts to slow down as I set off on the first of two full anticlockwise laps of the park.

Legs don’t feel as fresh as I’d like them to feel, but much fresher than I thought they would feel. It’s overcast this morning I have the Skins base-layer on and that’s keeping me warm. Settle into the run and start to enjoy it. The average pace increases fairly quickly and as I go down the Glen Road for the first time it moves ahead of max pace and reads 8:29. I ease off. No matter how easy it may feel I don’t want to overdo things today. Plus it’s my last long run of the program so I’m happy to just focus on time on feet.

No gels today, just a bottle of water. I don’t feel an energy drain as such, but I do think that the gels last week gave me an added boost effect. Onto my second lap. Tipping along leisurely, legs are behaving, no obvious aches or twinges or niggles after Saturday’s efforts. I pretty much decide while running yesterday that the Nimbus I have on will be the shoes I bring to Cork. Legs have felt light in them during the last two LSRs and so I’m not going to retire them ahead of Cork. I think using the Brooks of late for the faster stuff is prolonging this pair's life.

Finish my second lap and turn left up the Khyber, straight into a race coming down the hill. I tuck into the margin, out of people’s way. Turn onto the 15 acres and start running along the playing fields, together with 100s of others on what looks like a family/kids lap of the fields. Enjoyed this stretch running on the grass as the path was crowded. Leave the 15 Acres by the fort and head home via HSQ.

And that’s that. No more LSRs. Just 8 runs left, of which only one is a tough run. Only now, with this tricky weekend completed, do I feel I’m really in taper mode.

Post LSR weigh-in 71.50kgs

M01 8:26 (Garmin not accurate for this one)
    M02 8:56
    M03 8:22
    M04 8:25
    M05 8:22
    M06 8:36
    M07 8:47
    M08 8:43
    M09 8:34
    M10 8:31
    M11 8:28
    M12 8:49
    M13 8:35
    M14 8:25
    M15 8:53
    M16 8:43

Total 16.01M @ 8:36

10K Time Trial targeting sub 39:13 | 10.01K | in 39:19, 3:56 [6:19]
    LSR 16M @ 8:30 to 8:45 | 16.01 | 8:36

78 / 78 / 00 / 00 / 08 | 45.04 / 128.95 / 783.53

General Aerobic 11K with 8x100m strides

Only woke this morning when I heard the Garmin alarm going off at the other side of the room. I’d managed to sleep through / turn-off my phone alarm without waking up. Really sleepy this morning and really in no mood to be heading out.

On the road at 5:47, which doesn’t feel so early anymore. Didn’t fancy laps of the block and instead I headed down to Chapelizod Road and out to the Mullingar House. Once I got there I kept running through Chapelizod and only turned round at the foot of Knockmaroon Hill. Retraced my steps back to the Hilton in Kilmainham. Legs took a long time to hit average target pace this morning.

Straight into the strides. I’m running out of road as the Garmin signals the arrival of the third 100m set so I do a quick u-turn. As I make this u-turn I slip on a wet leaf and fall onto the cycle path. Two sore palms and one bloody knee. But thankfully all superficial stuff, messed up my time for the that 100m though.

The legs felt much better after the strides, far less tired and heavy. And tomorrow’s VO2 session seemed far more doable at the end of this morning’s run than it did at the start.

08.23K @ 5:45 [5.12M @ 9:15]
    8x100m strides @ average stride 3:36 [5:48]
    00.68K @ 5:26 [0.42M @ 8:45]

Total 11.00K @ 5:30 [6.84M @ 8:51]

P&D55 Week 17 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    General Aerobic 11K @ 5:36 to 5:45 with 8x100m strides | 11.00K | 5:30 [8:51] average stride 3:36 [5:48]
    VO2max 13K with 3x1600m @ 3:45 to 3:50, off 3:30min recovery | |
    Recovery 8K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | |
    MLR 12M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | |

79 / 79 / 00 / 00 / 07 | 6.84 / 135.79 / 790.37

VO2max 13K with 3x1600m @ 5K pace

This one turned out to be surprisingly easy. I'd been a little worried about hitting 5K pace only a few days after running a 10K flat out. Is this really a taper?

On with the Brooks and ran the shortest route home. Dropped my rucksack inside the front-door and continued with my warm-up over to the 15 Acres. Great to see so many people enjoying the park in the sun this evening, runners, walkers, cyclists, footballers and boot-campers.

I join the path by the Fort and start lapping clockwise. Start the first 1600 and immediately find low 3:4X pace very comfortable. The interval is mostly about trying not to run too fast. The last 400ms, even though they are uphill, don't feel particularly difficult. I complete the first interval at 3:43 [5:59] pace. Time taken was 5:56.69, I'm kind of viewing this as my first sub 6 minute mile.

Recovery of 3:30 is within the P&D suggested recovery range, but I reckon 3:00 minutes would have been sufficient. The Garmin was set-up with 3:30 so I was sticking with that. Second interval is equally easy. I say easy, but the lungs were certainly working; just I felt very much in control of my breathing. Legs were responding well. Once again I found I was concentrating more on keeping the pace down rather than having to speed up. I'm not willing the interval to be over. The second 1600m is completed in 3:46 [6:03] pace.

I'm enjoying the sunshine. Another 3:30 of recovery and then into the final interval. I'm conscious that this is the last time for a while that'll I'll be running at this pace. I'm missing it already. The final 1600m doesn't feel significantly tougher than the first two and again I slow up near the end to ensure that overall interval pace stays inside target pace. Complete the interval with 3:46 [6:04] pace.

Enjoyed this session, it's one I think I'll include in training during the second half of the year (may have to try establish a new 5K pace first). Very surprised that this felt so comfortable, maybe manageable is a better word than comfortable.

Misjudged where I would finish the intervals so I ended up running 1.3K more than intended during my cool-down.

And now the real taper begins.

5.29K @ 5:38 [3.29M @ 9:04]

Interval 1 @ 3:43 [5:59] time 5:56.69
    Interval 2 @ 3:46 [6:03] time 6:01.04
    Interval 3 @ 3:46 [6:04] time 6:02:05

2.19K @ 5:31 [1.36M @ 8:52]

Total 14.30K @ 4:55 [8.89M @ 7:56]

General Aerobic 11K @ 5:36 to 5:45 with 8x100m strides | 11.00K | 5:30 [8:51] average stride 3:36 [5:48]
    VO2max 13K with 3x1600m @ 3:45 to 3:50, off 3:30min recovery | 14.30K | 4:55 [7:56] average interval 3:45 [6:02]

80 / 80 / 00 / 00 / 06 | 15.73 / 144.68 / 799.26

Recovery 8K with 6x100m strides

Because it’s taper I’m thinking it’s all slow short easy runs and just 4 of them a week. No bother. So I relax a little too much and go to sleep a little too late last night and then I’m surprised to find that this morning’s easy short run isn’t so inviting when I have to drag myself to my feet before 6:00am. Making things hard for myself.

Chilly out there for May. I run out along the Chapelizod Road until I’ve covered 3K, then I turn around and retrace my steps back as far as the Hilton in Kilmainham. Into the strides along my cycle lane. I’ve become really hopeless at judging pace for these. I want to average a little faster than 5K pace, so around 3:35 [5:46] average would be about right. Instead this morning’s average stride pace was 3:25 [5:30]. I focused on accelerating into each stride then holding good form (still not 100% clear on what that is).

Another session ticked off. It’ll be strange tomorrow, a Saturday without running.

5.50K @ 5:51 [3.42M @ 9:24] bringing up 800 miles for the year
    6x100m s@ average stride 3:25 [5:30]
    1.04K @ 5:43 [0.65M @ 9:12]

Total 8.11K @ 5:34 [5.04M @ 8:58]

VO2max 13K with 3x1600m @ 3:45 to 3:50, off 3:30min recovery | 14.30K | 4:55 [7:56] average interval 3:45 [6:02]
    Recovery 8K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 8.11K | 5:34 [8:58] average stride 3:25 [5:30]

81 / 81 / 00 / 00 / 05 | 20.76 / 149.71 / 804.29

MLR 12 Miles

I really hope it won't be as humid and muggy next Monday as it was this morning.

On the road shortly before 9:00am. Ran over to Chapelizod via Inchicore Road and Ballyfermot Road. I was running at an effort that would usually see me having to put the brakes on, this morning instead that effort had be running slower than target. Into Phoenix at Chapelizod Gate and turned left heading up Glen Road. Average pace around 8:49. Out Knockmaroon Gate and up Tower Road. Legs feeling heavy. The shoes that felt so light last week feel really heavy and clunky this morning. Not really into this run but I'm also thinking better to have a sluggish run now rather than in 8 days time.

Things improve when I turn onto Whites Road and start running downhill. Finally travelling at target average pace. Down OS Road and up Furze Road. Then up the closed to traffic Chesterfield and onto North Road. Legs feeling a bit better now but I'm still not enjoying this one. I turn down through the Phoenix roundabout and down Acres Road. At this point it feels very humid, there's barely a breeze as I head down through the 15 Acres, the air is heavy.

Through the S-Bends and down Military Road. I spot a group of 4 runners up ahead and decide to reel them in. Overtake them by the Wellington Monument and log a 7:55 mile in doing so. Out Park Gate and home via Heuston. Happy with how I felt over the last 3 or 4 miles.

Post run weigh-in is 72.30kgs. I'd hoped to be closer to 71Kgs at this point, not going to worry about it.

M01 8:41
    M02 8:51
    M03 8:51
    M04 8:23
    M05 8:51
    M06 8:04
    M07 8:28
    M08 8:37
    M09 8:38
    M10 8:18
    M11 7:55
    M12 8:19

Total 12.23M @ 8:29

Recovery 8K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m strides | 8.11K | 5:34 [8:58] average stride 3:25 [5:30]
    MLR 12M @ 8:25 to 8:40 | 12.23M | 8:29

82/ 82 / 00 / 00 / 04 | 32.99 / 161.94 / 816.52

Recovery 6 Miles

Chilly when I stepped outside just gone 6:00am. Headed across to the Park and was treated to bright sunshine cutting through early morning mist, deer grazing close to the roadside, and a soundtrack of birdsong. Magic way to start the day. Fingers crossed we can manage to string two or three proper summer days together.

I've starting to check the forecast for next Monday in Cork – at the moment it looks like 12 to 17 Celsius, with 79% humidity, cloudy and maybe some drops of rain.

I ran an out and back, just heading up Chesterfield and back down. Legs felt better than I expected them to feel. Not too heavy, hopefully they continue to loosen up over the next few days. Pace was nice and steady.

M01 9:31
    M02 9:29
    M03 9:24
    M04 9:05
    M05 9:16
    M06 9:17

Total 6.04M @ 9:20

P&D55 Week 18 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.04 | 9:20
    Dress Rehearsal 11K with 3K @ PMP 4:43 | |
    Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

83/ 83 / 00 / 00 / 03 | 6.04 / 167.98 / 822.56

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

So, a few days out, how are we fixed mentally, (physically you seem 100% ready, solid training block), you have a strategy in mind?

• Advertisement

Dress Rehearsal 11K with 3K at PMP

Junior outforarun, who’s in cracking good form, will be heading to the GP today to confirm what is probably a case of chickenpox. I don’t know if I had it as a kid or not – I feel fine at the moment, but all of a sudden Monday can’t come soon enough!!!

Yesterday’s run went fine. I ran home from work through town, dropped off my rucksack and continued over to the 15 Acres. I ran the non-PMP part of this run without paying any attention to the Garmin, just ran at whatever pace felt easy. Legs felt ‘ok’ on the way over to the 15 Acres. I was curious to see how light the Nimbus felt, they didn’t feel particularly heavy. I like the 15 Acres on a midweek evening – everyone’s out to play.

Started the PMP section – would it feel tough? Would it feel easy? I tried successfully to hit 4:43 min/km [7:35 min/mile] on the button. The pace felt fine. Just enough effort to realise that this is a race pace. I could switch off and hold the pace without thinking too much about it. Off the same effort I was travelling around 4:41/2 downhill, 4:43 on the flat, and 4:44/5 on the uphill.

Grand for 3K, I’ll worry about the other 39 on Monday.

05.36K @ 5:25 [3.33M @ 8:42]
    03.01K @ 4:43 [1.87M @ 7:35]
    02.66K @ 5:22 [1.65M @ 8:39]

Total 11.03K @ 5:13 [6.85M @ 8:23]

P&D55 Week 18 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.04 | 9:20
    Dress Rehearsal 11K with 3K @ PMP 4:43 | 11.03 | 5:13[8:23] PMP 4:43 [7:35]
    Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

84/ 84 / 00 / 00 / 02 | 12.89 / 174.83 / 829.41

Advertisement