Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Delighted for ya!!! Major congrats:@) enjoy the celebrations!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Nice one. Well done, really deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

As has already been said, very well done and thoroughly well deserved.
    I know you doubted yourself a little bit at times in the lead up to the race, but I don't think anyone reading your log did based on the excellent block of training you put together. Enjoy the aftermath ;)

See you in Dublin this October......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

your some man, looks like you moved ahead of 50 odd people in the 2nd half....top perforrmance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great time Outforarun - I can't say I'm overly surprised , your training has been spot on and it looks like you put in the hard work and did exactly what was required on the day. Congratulations on a well earned PB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

statss wrote: »
    your some man, looks like you moved ahead of 50 odd people in the 2nd half....top perforrmance

It was getting fairly warm as the race went on too, makes this particular stat all the more impressive. Fair play OFAR, great time and well deserved from your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Pre-Race

It took me 3 years and 4 marathons to bring my PB down from 3:41 to 3:39. I woke up Monday morning knowing that I was about to try knock another 20 minutes of that PB. Was I mad?

I was having some difficulty focusing on the trust and belief that posters on here had been calling for. On the positive side I was never more certain that I could break 3:30 for the first time, if I went for 3:29. Instead I was going to go for 3:19! Would this just mess everything up? Would I die another death at marathon end? This time a death worse than previous deaths? Would I collapse over the line in 3:30:00, when I could have cruised home in 3:29:59?

These were the thoughts that accompanied me over toast and cereal and coffee in the Lancaster Lodge on Western Road 90 minutes before the start line.

To battle these thoughts I found myself thinking back to the 29K run with 23K at PMP from April. This meant I could get to 23K for sure. I ran 29K on that day, alright so 6K were not PMP, but race day adrenline will surely allow me run 29K at PMP? May as well call that 30K. So really I just got to worry about the additional 10K to bring me to 40K. How hard can that be? Really that’s what I’ve been training for, those 10K from 30 to 40. If my training has been successful then it’ll get me through these 10K and well the crowd will see me good for the last 2K. Easy.

The key is getting from 30K to 40K. No need to worry until I hit 30. Relax and enjoy till then and let the training kick in after that. I wasn’t 100% convinced I was aiming for the right target. But I was 100% prepared to commit to that target and accept whatever that might bring.

Breakfast over I head back to my room and get dressed: Band-aids on nipples, vaseline elsewhere, Nike Pro-Combat compression shorts, Adidas 7” shorts, number 1035 pinned onto electric pink Frank Duffy top from last year, regular short black socks, Nimbus 13 on their final run, and a gel belt with 6 PowerBar gels, regular apple flavour with sodium and caffeine content, and two spare band-aids. Garmin is switched to metric, with average pace showing and auto-lap at 1K. 500ml Powerade bottle filled with water. I’m ready.

I stroll over to Patrick Street, gradually joined by more and more runners. In the space of the 10 minute walk I change my mind maybe 10 times about whether or not the weather is good. There are clouds busy in the sky. When the sun shines it feels too warm, when the sun is covered it feels too muggy, but there’s a light breeze and when that blows it feels fresh. Happy to discover I don’t need to make any last minute portaloo trips.

I walk into the starting pin and once the pacing balloons are up I find a spot between the 3:15 pacers and the 3:30 pacers. It feels really odd to be looking back at the 3:30 balloons. Again I ask myself am I doing the right thing? Last year the 3:30 balloons crossed the line over 9 minutes ahead of me. I’m not nervous though, not overly so at any rate, I’m just unconvinced that I’m doing the right thing. I’ll soon find out I guess. I find some satellites and bounce up and down a bit, impatient to get going.

The PA is gradually counting down the minutes. And then eventually it’s a straight countdown from 10 to 1. Siren sounds, crowd cheers we move forward, fingers poised over start buttons and we cross the line. Beep, beep, beep-beep, beep, beep, beep-beep. We’re off.

01-10K in 47:22

<3:20 = Gold (targeting 4:43 min/km [7:35 min/mile])
    <3:25 = Silver
    <3:30 = Bronze
    <3:39 = Consolation (PB)

So the plan for the first half is to hold average pace at 4:43 [7:35], though 4:44 [7:37] would also be ok. Just keep things calm, don’t go too fast, relax and establish a steady comfortable rhythm and also try look about me and take in the sights and sounds. Just try enjoy the race.

The first kilometre I was a bit too anxious to avoid slower runners and ended up running a little too fast. I was running high 4:3X pace. Part of me was happy because it felt very easy. I enjoyed the luxury of slowly applying brakes. I still can’t make my mind up about the weather. When we cross the Lee for the first time and run down Pope’s Quay it felt warm. I knew for sure that it was wise not to have worn my Skins base layer.

For the first time ever in Cork I’ve exited Leitrim Street before seeing the front runners coming down the other side of the road. I get my first shout out at 4K from a mate in Blackpool. By now I’ve heard my name called several times, I’m happy with the decision to print names on the marathon numbers, I think this will help later.

By now I’ve brought the average pace in check. It increases to 4:42 [7:34] as we head back toward the river but as it’s slightly downhill I just go with it and keep the brakes off. We turn left and start following the river out of town. I get another shout-out from friends at 6K. The next time I’m due to see these friends is at the 20 mile mark, will I still be travelling at 4:43 [7:35]? I take my first gel at 6K and mentally it feels good to kick-off the in-race fueling. Gel consumed, pace on track, legs feeling ok.

On Horgan’s Quay a Dutch guy asks me how far the tunnel is. We get chatting. It’s his first time in Cork, he likes it, diplomatically he says he likes the way it’s "unpolished". As we head onto the Lower Glanmire Road I ask him what he’s aiming for. He says 3:40. Three-four-oh I ask? Yes he replies. I wonder if I should tell him that if he’s aiming for 3:40 then he really shouldn’t be having this conversation. But then he mentions that he has gone sub 3:30 before. So I guess he must know what he’s doing?

We chat away as we head down toward Silver Springs. Being from Holland he says that for him Cork is a really hilly course. I notice that the average pace has dropped to 4:44 [7:37], fine. But then it drops to 4:45 [7:39] and so I start to pick it up again. He stays with me for a while but as we approach 10K he says he’s going to let me go. I shake his hand and wish him the best of luck (he’d finish in 3:45). Average pace reads 4:44 [7:37] as I pass through 10K. All going to plan so far. I’m happy to have had the chat with the Dutch guy and I think it might have benefited me, ensuring I didn’t go too fast too soon.

11K to 20K in 46:52

In my head I’d broken the race into four 10Ks. The first 10K would be easy, just a warm up that would allow me settle into marathon pace. The second 10K shouldn’t be too much more difficult especially with race day adrenaline helping the pace feel easy. I expected the third 10K to be tougher and more challenging, but manageable. The final 10K would be where the race was won or lost. The last 2K I’d worry about later.

Into the second 10K then and the legs are feeling good. I’m enjoying the run. Slowly picking off runners, mostly relay runners, but it’s nice to be passing people whatever race they’re running. We pass through the Dunkettle Roundabout and onto the first significant climb of the day. I hold average pace at 4:44 [7:37] and continue to overtake runners as we climb. The sun is out and it feels warm here. I take on some water. We turn down into the tunnel. I remember not to hug the outside wall and instead take the racing line down the centre of the road. Into the tunnel and lose satellites on Garmin. It’s a bit lonelier going through the tunnel this year. In fact I’m finding that this no-man's land between the 3:15 balloons and the 3:30 balloons is generally lonelier. I’m running mostly on my own.

We exit the tunnel into the sun and the Garmin kicks back into life. I take my second gel now. Wash it down with more water. I’m getting through these 500mls quicker than usual. We leave the N40 and head down past Mahon Shopping Centre. “Go on Donal! Love your top!” I smile and wave. Still feeling good. Another wave of heat as we turn onto the Skehard Road. Running directly into the sun. I can feel my head hot. Around here the average pace settles back on 4:43 [7:35].

The 10 mile clock is showing 1:17 as I pass. I’m on target. I think how a few years back this would have been a 10 mile PB for me, and how today it feels very comfortable. Every now and again I tell myself that if I felt like I do right this moment in a 10K race then I’d be really happy. This helps convince me that the pace is fine, that I’m doing ok and that I can continue to hold the pace. We turn onto the estuary walk by Blackrock Castle and I take my third gel. Third gel of six, feels like half-way there.

I’ve noticed a few quick splits, K16 and K17 were 4:36 [7:24] and 4:30 [7:15]. I tell myself to be careful and ease off a little. I’m happy to be focusing on slowing down rather than on pushing at this point.

It’s hot again alongside the river. At least whatever breeze there is, is mostly at our backs. The water looks lovely this morning, shimmering. Again I’m enjoying the run. Everytime I check average pace it’s showing 4:43 [7:35], so all in control. I pass the 20K marker. That last 10K was easier than I’d expected.

21K to 30K in 47:03

So this is where I expect things to get a bit more difficult. I remind myself of what posters here have said about having a wobble in this section, that it’s normal. P&D also refer to bad patches from halfway to 20 miles, these “are a test of mental resolve. Often these stretches will last a while and then mysteriously go away. The key is to have the confidence that you’ll eventually overcome this bad patch.”

As I go through the half-way point the race-clock reads 1:40:30. Perfect. Keep this going and push just a little over the closing kilometres and I should have my sub 3:20. Average pace continues to hold at 4:43 [7:35]. I continue to feel relatively comfortable. I do however log a 4:58 [8:00] split for K22, this I think was due to having to slow down in traffic over the narrow foot bridges. All the same I push just a little to ensure average 4:43 [7:35] doesn’t drop.

As I complete 23K I start thinking that I have now gone further than any PMP run in training. I still expect to reach 30K without issue. I drop my 500ml bottle at one of the water stops around here and take a fresh bottle. Great that they have bottles in Cork.

We exit the long tree-lined, slightly humid walkway and back onto the Marina. The crowds, largely missing since Blackrock Castle are back and the cheers are welcome. I take my fourth gel here. Just 2 gels to go. Along the Marina I pass Alex the fireman on his world record run. Mind boggles at how he can cover marathon distance in those boots. There’s a Navy ship sailing down the Lee and it sounds its horns. Great atmosphere along here. Lots of distractions to take the mind off tiring legs. Some leading half-marathoners starting to come through. I grab a wet sponge and run with it for the next while. Dabbing my head and the back of my neck, and squeezing drops onto my calves. Lovely.

We pass the 16 mile marker. I always think just 10 miles to go when we pass this marker. My legs are starting to tire now, but it’s still manageable. I expected them to tire around now, but again I remind myself that if I felt this comfortable over halfway into a 10K race then I’d be thrilled. Everytime I check average pace it’s holding at 4:43 [7:35]. I continue see the odd fast split, K26 for example was 4:34 [7:21].

The crowds are great at the end of Central Park Road. I get lots of shouts here, really makes a difference having your name on the number. I think my form is still good. I try to focus on the kilometre on hand, but my thoughts are starting to think ahead to the upcoming kilometres, the real race is starting to beckon.

I always like the stretch down the South Link Road. And I always dread the sharp steep exit up to Turners Cross. This hurts the legs. Short steps up this 60 odd meter incline and now we’re entering the suburban part of the race. I’m not super familiar with this side of town, and every year I have difficulty remembering which street follows which street they all seem the same and and an uphill drag seems to lie around every corner. I don’t like this section. Shortly after Musgrave Park we pass the 30K mark. Average pace still reading 4:43 [7:35]. Take my fifth gel. Let the race begin.

31K to 40K in 49:54

Legs continue to tire. I have a few moments where I’m worried that they are going to tire rapidly and that the wheels might start to come off. But these moments are usually uphill and pass once I’m on level ground. I make sure I appreciate every downhill stretch that arrives. Eventually I get to the 20 mile marker. My friends are there and that gives me a boost. They give me a thumbs up. I wave, smile and try look stronger than what I might be feeling. The Garmin shows around 2hrs 31mins have passed. Ok I have almost an hour to claim bronze, sub 3:30, surely that’s in the bag. I enjoy the drop down Wilton Road.

Then when we turn onto Model Farm Road I start to really feel the effort. This long drag is sapping the energy out of my legs. Not just me, I pass a few runners struggling here. A spectator is shouting “Top of the hill then a 5 mile run”. I don’t want to try push the pace, I’m hoping I’ll recover over the couple of downhills that I know are ahead.

After 34K the average pace is still showing at 4:43 [7:35] but I know I’m slowing. I didn’t see it at the time, I didn’t want to see it, but K34 logged at 4:53 [7:52]. I’d only manage one faster kilometer (K36 @ 4:52 [7:50]) for the rest of the race.

Pace continues to drop all the way up the Model Farm Road. I do get some respite as we head down the steep drop to The Orchards. I take my final gel here and start hoping for a second wind. They’re playing some dance music at the junction to the Carrigrohane Road and it’s amazing how this can sharpen up your form and get that little bit of extra speed out of the legs.

Onto the Carrigrohane Road now. Mercifully the breeze is at our backs. After 37K average pace has dropped to 4:44 [7:37]. This might still be enough, problem is that it is taking all my effort to reduce the decline in pace and yet I can feel that I’m still slowing. I have to halt the decline before I can entertain thoughts of speeding up. But the effort levels grow and the decline continues. Energy is fading fast. Calves are sore, thighs are sore, I feel heavier and heavier, slower and slower.

I pass 38K and average pace is now 4:45 [7:39]. The County Hall is still someway up in the distance. I know that 3:19 is gone. But I reckon I can still get silver sub 3:25, if I can just try hold the rate of decline steady. I’ve less than 5K to go but Patrick Street feels so so far away. One stretch at a time. People calling my name again. I’m reduced to raising a finger to acknowledge them now.

Onto the Mardyke. Passing some runners stopped with cramp here. I’ve stopped looking at the Garmin. I feel I’m managing this decline better than last year and last year I missed out on my gold-target my 4 minutes. If I miss out this year by 4 minutes I’m still good for silver. Keep moving. A spectator calls out that we are “well under 3:30”. This is music to my ears, but does nothing for my legs. I pass the 40K marker, and now it’s just those 2K that I chose to ignore as a thing of nothing in my race breakdown.

Only 2K and a few metres, sure that's nothing.

Onto the little wooded walkway. Halfway round here I feel a little lightheaded. This is worrying. Will the next thing I’m aware of be an oxygen mask on my face? How will they get an ambulance down here? Don’t keel over now, not after 41K.

Thankfully this passes and I’m out of the wooded walkway, back in daylight and on the longest quay on the planet. Just keep moving. I’m looking up for Patrick’s Bridge. Where is it? Another shout out from the roadside, “Only 400ms to go!”. This call surprises me, really, only 400ms? I can do that.

And there’s the bridge and the 26 mile mark, and the crowds. Oh yes! All of a sudden I’m nearly there. I can feel a surge of energy coming on. I turn onto the bridge and remember that it’s slightly downhill from here. I push the pace, the roar from the crowd is faboulous. I pass over the spotter mat and hear my name called. I see the finish line, I can see the the clock changing from 3:24 to 3:25, but that’s ok the chip time will be sub 3:25.

:):):) I’ve never felt happier crossing a marathon finish line :):):)

Post Race

Garmin reads 3:24:46 (official chip time reads 3:24:49). I’m thrilled. Ok I didn’t get my gold, but silver will do fine for now. Silver is still nearly a 15 minute PB.
    Silver is the sub 3:30 monkey well off my back (and that feels really good). Silver is a sub 3:25, something I wouldn’t have got if I’d gone out for 3:29.

Physically I feel good, better than I have done after any other marathon I think. I meet up with friends at the finish line and they all comment on how fresh I appear (compared to previous years). They’ve brought me coke and I gulp it down, getting some sugar back into the system. I’m more or less completely composed within 7 or 8 minutes. Though I do have to take sitting breaks as the heat rises up of the pavement. Some spectators come over to ask how I got on and to say how much they love my t-shirt.

Within an hour I was already formulating thoughts for CCM15, but they’re for another post.

Some Stats

Garmin link is here

Kilometre|Lap Pace|Average Pace
    K01 | 4:35 [7:22] | 4:35 [7:22]
    K02 | 4:42 [7:33] | 4:38 [7:28]
    K03 | 4:48 [7:43] | 4:41 [7:33]
    K04 | 4:51 [7:49] | 4:44 [7:37]
    K05 | 4:35 [7:23] | 4:42 [7:34]
    K06 | 4:43 [7:36] | 4:42 [7:34]
    K07 | 4:49 [7:44] | 4:43 [7:36]
    K08 | 4:55 [7:55] | 4:45 [7:38]
    K09 | 4:46 [7:40] | 4:45 [7:38]
    K10 | 4:38 [7:28] | 4:44 [7:37]
    K11 | 4:43 [7:36] | 4:44 [7:37]
    K12 | 5:52 [9:27] | 4:50 [7:46] (tunnel)
    K13 | 3:35 [5:47] | 4:44 [7:37] (tunnel)
    K14 | 4:42 [7:34] | 4:44 [7:37]
    K15 | 4:45 [7:38] | 4:44 [7:37]
    K16 | 4:36 [7:24] | 4:43 [7:36]
    K17 | 4:30 [7:15] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K18 | 4:42 [7:34] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K19 | 4:45 [7:38] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K20 | 4:41 [7:32] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K21 | 4:40 [7:31] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K22 | 4:58 [7:59] | 4:43 [7:36]
    K23 | 4:37 [7:26] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K24 | 4:40 [7:30] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K25 | 4:43 [7:36] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K26 | 4:34 [7:22] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K27 | 4:46 [7:40] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K28 | 4:40 [7:31] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K29 | 4:38 [7:28] | 4:42 [7:34]
    K30 | 4:47 [7:42] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K31 | 4:53 [7:52] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K32 | 4:51 [7:48] | 4:43 [7:36]
    K33 | 4:33 [7:20] | 4:43 [7:35]
    K34 | 4:53 [7:51] | 4:43 [7:36]
    K35 | 4:59 [8:02] | 4:44 [7:36]
    K36 | 4:52 [7:50] | 4:44 [7:37]
    K37 | 5:01 [8:04] | 4:44 [7:38]
    K38 | 5:17 [8:31] | 4:45 [7:39]
    K39 | 5:20 [8:34] | 4:46 [7:40]
    K40 | 5:15 [8:26] | 4:47 [7:41]
    K41 | 5:27 [8:47] | 4:48 [7:43]
    K42 | 5:29 [8:50] | 4:49 [7:45]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super work and well deserved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done again, very much deserved.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    As has already been said, very well done and thoroughly well deserved.
    I know you doubted yourself a little bit at times in the lead up to the race, but I don't think anyone reading your log did based on the excellent block of training you put together. Enjoy the aftermath ;)

See you in Dublin this October......?

Thanks yaboya. Don't know about Dublin. I'm happy enough with one marathon a year (besides I'd never be able to sell it at home, even if I still plan on keeping mileage around 40 miles a week, and alternating 12M, 14M and 16M on Sunday mornings). I did two marathons in 2012 and my heart really wasn't in DCM.

• Advertisement

It was getting fairly warm as the race went on too, makes this particular stat all the more impressive. Fair play OFAR, great time and well deserved from your training.

Thanks CCR. I thought the weather was mixed bag, but yeah a few degrees cooler would definitely have been welcome. Very brave of you to try for sub 3:10. And lots of determination to come home in a great time having run out of juice on 18 miles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Fair play OFR, really enjoyed your report, it gave me a great excuse to doss at my desk with a coffee this morning! I think you can do very impressive things over the shorter stuff too this summer, any plans to specifically target this? I'd love to know your thoughts on P&D too seeing as you followed to the absolute letter, would you use it again? Well done again on a great run.

Fair play OFR, really enjoyed your report, it gave me a great excuse to doss at my desk with a coffee this morning! I think you can do very impressive things over the shorter stuff too this summer, any plans to specifically target this? I'd love to know your thoughts on P&D too seeing as you followed to the absolute letter, would you use it again? Well done again on a great run.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to post up my thoughts on P&D, I've been thinking a lot about it over the last 48 hours. Would I use it again? For now, short answer is Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Great run and impressive report! Very well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Great run and report, delighted for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Sharkey47

Thanks for posting the race report. A most enjoyable read and as detailed as would have been expected! I hope you are having a well earned rest now and are basking in the glow of a job well done and the 3.30 hoodoo firmly vanquished. I will be interested in your thoughts on P&D as I doubt that many have followed the programme as precisely you have done. Well done on your achievement once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Well done on both the race and the report. It is great to see you finally smash that 3:30 hoodoo - and well. Interested to see where you go now, shorter or is 3:20 the new 3:30? Congrats again.

Sharkey47 wrote: »
    Thanks for posting the race report. A most enjoyable read and as detailed as would have been expected! I hope you are having a well earned rest now and are basking in the glow of a job well done and the 3.30 hoodoo firmly vanquished. I will be interested in your thoughts on P&D as I doubt that many have followed the programme as precisely you have done. Well done on your achievement once again.

Thanks Sharkey. I've enjoyed the last few days off, but there's a new pair of Nimbus under the stairs waiting to be laced up and I'm looking forward to doing that tomorrow morning. Sooner the better, diet's gone out the window.

slowsteady wrote: »
    Well done on both the race and the report. It is great to see you finally smash that 3:30 hoodoo - and well. Interested to see where you go now, shorter or is 3:20 the new 3:30? Congrats again.

Thanks I'm so relieved to have broken that 3:30 barrier, it was becoming a real mental obstacle and I was starting to wonder if I was really cut out for marathons. Shorter stuff from here to year-end. Then we'll see if it'll be another shot at sub 3:20 or maybe sub 3:15 (that's BQ I think).

I deliberately followed P&D as close to the letter as possible, I wanted to be in a position to judge the program fairly and on its own merits.

True there are some subtleties I may have missed, true I included 2 additional buffer weeks, true I ignored all references to heart-rate choosing to train purely to pace (P&D don’t insist that you train to heart-rate) and true I raced time-trials on my own instead of tune-up races. Still, as Sharkey mentioned above I doubt there are many people who have followed a P&D schedule as closely and completely as I did over the last 20 weeks.

With my marathon now done, I think there are two spins I could put on P&D, one is negative and one is positive. I think the positive spin holds a lot more weight than the negative spin.

The Negative Spin

So the plan was to follow P&D in order to achieve a sub 3:20 marathon. Following P&D’s instructions I calculated all the appropriate pace ranges for all the various session types. I then ran all of the 86 prescribed sessions and ran all on target. There were a handful of sessions that I found particularly difficult, but I always hit target. And I reckon on around 80 of the 86 sessions I was never in any doubt that I would complete on target.

So all boxes ticked. No injuries picked up. All I had to do was turn up on the day and collect my prize. So what happens – I miss my target by nearly 5 minutes and suffer a significant energy fade over the last 5K or so. So in short, P&D didn’t work.

I believe this is far too simple a conclusion to draw. First and foremost P&D are not selling a magic formula. Ten different runners of a similar running history, following the same P&D schedule, aiming for the same goal time and running the same marathon, will not finish with the same time. I suspect there would be around 10 minutes (if not more) between the first home and the last home. P&D presented me with an off-the-shelf schedule based on their experience running and coaching. This obviously cannot be tailor-made. If I had P&D personally coaching me I have no doubt whatsoever that they would make tweaks to cater for my individual physical condition. The P&D book cannot account for my running style, my bio-mechanics, my calorie consumption rate, etc.

That’s why I was keen to follow the schedule as close to the letter as I could, so I could see how my body reacted to it. Knowing how I reacted to this training cycle I think I will have a better idea of what paces to input and what target time to choose next time round, and hopefully I will be able to make P&D work better for me.

Furthermore P&D have no control over a host of other important factors. How much stretching and core work do I do?. What is my diet like, food and drink? How much sleep do I get? Am I wearing the best shoes for me? Am I more suited to short distances than longer ones? How frequently do I run marathons? And then on race-day, what is the weather like? What is the course profile like?

Basically I don’t think it is fair to say P&D failed just because on the day I missed my target by less than 5 minutes.

The Positive Spin

So what did I achieve by following P&D? Simple, I became significantly faster.

I took nearly 15 minutes off my marathon PB. I had stagnated for 3 years logging 3:41, 3:40, 3:41 and 3:39. I was starting to fall out of love with the distance. P&D lifted me off this plateau. And I gained some much needed confidence over marathon distance.

Despite being a marathon specific schedule, my shorter distance speed has also improved. I recorded a new Garmin PB of 39:13 over 10K. I now hope to log a 38:XX race PB over the summer, my goal at the start of P&D was 39:XX. Also based on my final VO2 session, I’m feeling confident that I should manage an 18:XX 5K PB next time I race that distance.

I think these significant increases in speed and confidence over long and short distances are reason enough to say P&D worked for me.

What I liked

I liked the large variety of paces often within the same session, these were good for the legs and the head.

I did wonder about what looked like a shortage of PMP especially near the end of the schedule: but I think here P&D deliberately put a focus on paces faster than PMP simply to make PMP feel more comfortable on race-day. That certainly turned out to be the case for me, training at 3:55 min/km and faster over the last 4 or 5 weeks made 4:43 min/km feel very comfortable on race-day. The longest PMP session on the schedule (23K, 14M) is several weeks out from race-day and I found those 23K in training much tougher than the first 23K in Cork.

I think the midweek MSRs were critical in building up leg strength and aerobic fitness.

I liked P&D’s taper. It really didn’t feel like a taper where I was losing any sharpness. With less than two weeks to go they have you running mile repeats at 5K pace, this only 4 days after a tune-up race and an LSR!! The legs are always kept alert, right up to the set of strides two days before race-day.

What I'd advise

I found the switch from Mesocycle I to Mesocycle II was risky from an injury point of view. I think here my legs started to notice the simultaneous increase in speed and distance. This is why I would recommend anybody thinking of following P&D to ensure they have at least one buffer week built in (preferably two). Just to give you that luxury of easing off if you need to, without having to skip any sessions.

The other thing I would underline is that P&D is not a walk-in-the park, and it will almost certainly break you if you start it without a proper base in the legs. I tried P&D in 2013, in the preceding twelve months I had logged 1278 miles, that’s 24 miles a week. I don’t think that is enough. I picked up an injury, missed sessions and compromised subsequent sessions, I had to drop most VO2 runs. I simply wasn’t ready for P&D.

This year instead I’d run 1771 miles in the preceding twelve months, that’s 34 miles a week. This represented a far better base to bring to P&D, I’d also focussed on improving my speed in the latter half of 2013, so I was able to train with faster 5K, and LT paces.

Next Time

With 2015 in mind I plan to hit 2000 miles this year and have a 40 mile per week base before tackling P&D again. I will also focus on shorter races for the next 6 months to increase 5K and LT paces some more. If I do this I’m sure I’ll reap more from P&D, following the same schedule.

Personally I am already looking forward to following P&D again next year. Having seen how my body reacted to the schedule I may make a change, I may train with a 5 or 10 minute buffer. So say I take a second stab at 3:20 or sub 3:15, to do this I might train for sub 3:10. This might just make those last 5K on race-day feel that bit easier and ensure I hit my target. Anyway I’ll see how I get on over the summer first.

If you’re thinking about following P&D and if you’re ready for P&D then I would say go for it. But you may have to try it once to understand how to gain more from P&D second time round.

• Advertisement

Recovery 4 Miles

Got out before work yesterday morning for my first post marathon run. Warm conditions outside. I laced up a new pair of Nimbus-13. Kept this run simple, just three laps round Kilmainham Lane, St. John's Road and Military Road, plus a little out and back to bring up the distance.

Legs were tired for sure, but everything seemed in working order. I had no problems keeping the pace down. Nice to get on the road again. I aim to follow the first 2 weeks of P&D's recovery schedule. Then I might push a little (just a little) on the third week, with an eye on the Irish Runner 5 Miler at month-end.

M01 9:50
    M02 9:27
    M03 9:34
    M04 9:16

Total 4.09 @ 9:31

P&D Recovery Week 1 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.09 | 9:31
    Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    30.54 / 34.54 / 868.94

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

outforarun wrote: »
    I aim to follow the first 2 weeks of P&D's recovery schedule. Then I might push a little (just a little) on the third week, with an eye on the Irish Runner 5 Miler at month-end.

I'd love to go back to post manchester marathon and do my recovery all different.
    I followed a recovery plan that was too aggressive.
    I raced a 5k after 3 weeks.
    Joined a club and jumped into faster trackwork after 4 weeks.

I only feel somewhat normal this week. I probably wont do a spring marathon next year as I like racing shorter stuff so much - the urge is to get back out there asap.

Point being - Be careful with recovery.

Point being - Be careful with recovery.

Thanks for the note of caution. Just went and re-read your log from April as nearly 4 weeks from marathon day I aim to race the Irish Runner @ 10K pace of 3:55 min/km.

You mention it yourself in your log that there was a lot of speedy stuff in the recovery plan you followed: 400s at 5K pace just 9 days after the marathon, mile repeats at MP 11 days out, and a tempo run a few days later.

I'm hoping I'll be ok. P&D recovery is gentler, two and a half weeks of exclusively recovery pace and only near the end of week 3 does it throw in general aerobic pace. At the end of week 3 instead I'm going to try out the gears with maybe 1K @ MP, 1K @ 10K pace, 1K @ MP pace. That will hopefully give me a feel for how I should approach the 5 miler a week later.

I'll listen to the body for sure.

Recovery 4 Miles

Went out at lunch time today just before the sun came out proper. Nice neat 4 mile route saw me enter Phoenix at Islandbridge Gate, head up the Khyber and turn down Acres Road, follow the lower path along the playing fields back to the fort, back out Islandbridge Gate and home. Once again I remind myself how lucky I am to have Phoenix Park on my doorstep.

The legs felt a little less tired today than yesterday. I certainly have no physical inclination to run fast at the moment. Find myself thinking a lot already about next year's marathon and what my goals might be. This is a definite sign that I've regained confidence and enthusiasm for the marathon. I'm really pleased about this.

Finish the 4 miles without issue.

M01 10:13
    M02 09:27
    M03 08:49
    M04 09:26

Total 4.04 @ 9:28

Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.04 | 9:28

Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    34.59 / 38.59 / 872.98

Recovery 5 Miles

Mid-morning run in glorious sunshine. Over to Phoenix again, today's loop taking me from Islandbridge Gate up through the S-Bends, up Acres Road, down Chesterfield and back out Islandbridge Gate and home.

Today I found I had to concentrate a bit to ensure I didn't run too fast. Each run since Monday, the legs have felt a little less tired than the previous run. I was kind of sorry to end this one after just 5 miles, this morning's weather was ideal for a long long leisurely morning's running. Lots of runners out.

Wore my CCM14 top for the first time - nice fit, very stylish I think.

M01 9:22
    M02 9:02
    M03 9:26
    M04 9:19
    M05 9:32

Total 5.16 @ 9:21

Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.04 | 9:28
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.16 | 9:21

Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    39.75 / 43.75 / 878.14

Recovery 5 Miles

Legs felt like concrete this morning. Heavy heavy calves and achilles, that only showed some signs of loosening up once I'd 4 miles completed. Only getting around 4 hours sleep probably didn't help.

Ran my Inchicore, South Circular, St.Jame's, Heuston loop. Been a while since I've run this route - few Dublin Bike stations have popped up since last time. Added on another loop round Kilmainham Lane, St.John's Road, up Luas tracks and Bow Lane. Glad to finish this one.

Not a very inspiring schedule for the week. Same again in the morning. Patience, patience.

M01 10:04
    M02 09:26
    M03 09:26
    M04 09:15
    M05 09:01

Total 5.04 @ 9:26

P&D Recovery Week 2 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.04 | 9:26
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    Recovery 7M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    5.04 / 48.79 / 883.18

Recovery 5 Miles

This morning's run was a repeat of yesterday's run. Same distance, same route, same target pace. On the road at 6:00am on the button. I expected the legs to feel heavy and stiff again; instead they felt much better, they were still heavy and stiff but nothing like yesterday.

I feel as though a set of strides would loosen them up and bring them back to life nicely, but I'm going to stick to P&D's schedule for this week. Next week I can start to crank up the speed a bit.

M01 9:30
    M02 8:59
    M03 9:07
    M04 9:34
    M05 9:27

Total 5.08M @ 9:21

Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.08 | 9:21
    Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

Miles WTD 10.12 / MTD 53.87 / YTD 888.26

Recovery 6 Miles

Lunchtime run yesterday, in gorgeous summer sunshine. This was the best the legs have felt since the marathon. Really needed to focus to keep the pace down. Ran through the Memorial Gardens and along the Liffey to Chapelizod. Into Phoenix at Chapelizod Gate and up Acres Road, down Chesterfield and back out Islandbridge Gate and home. Enjoyed this but I'm getting fed up of recovery pace.

Now c'mon Honduras!!!

M01 9:33
    M02 9:00
    M03 9:19
    M04 9:22
    M05 9:12
    M06 9:28

Total 6.17M @ 9:20

Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.17 | 9:20

Miles WTD 16.29 / MTD 60.04 / YTD 894.43

Recovery 7 Miles

Completed the second week of P&D Recovery this morning. They ask for 7 miles, I decide that'll be a lap of the Park. In at Islandbridge Gate and run anti-clockwise. Really feel like upping the pace, especially when I'm overtaken during the lap. Start planning next week in my head - will probably follow the first 3 runs on P&D, 5 recovery, 5 recovery and 7 general aerobic with strides. But I'll include an extra day, and Saturday try a run including 2K @ MP + 2K @ 10K pace + 2K @ MP. Then I fancy a 12 miler on the Sunday. The Irish Runner 5 Miler is less than 2 weeks away, so mentally as well as physically I need to step things up a little.

A little bit longer and a little bit faster than prescribed today - but legs are feeling good. Passed 900 miles for the year.

M01 9:55
    M02 9:21
    M03 8:54
    M04 8:46
    M05 9:21 (900 miles for the year)
    M06 9:13
    M07 9:14

Total 7.71M @ 9:19

Recovery 6M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 6.17 | 9:20
    Recovery 7M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 7.71 | 9:19

Miles WTD 24.00 / MTD 67.75 / YTD 902.14

• Advertisement

Recovery 5 Miles

Had Monday off work so headed out in the morning to get the week started. Easy 5 miler round my preferred 5 mile route, Kilmainham – Islandbridge Gate – Military Road – S-Bends – Acres Road – Chesterfield – Islandbridge Gate – Kilmainham.

The legs continue to feel ok, I again run just a little bit too fast. Later this week I’ll finally up the speed so I get a better feel for how the legs really are. About 30 minutes after I finished my run the sun came out and it's been out since.

Other news – junior outforarun is completely recovered from chickenpox, but mrs outforarun has picked it up and is one week into hers. I’m really hoping I avoid it.

I’ve a race in less than two weeks and my diet needs to be put back under control. A combination of post-marathon liberation and World Cup snacking is seeing the weight creep back up, at least I assume it is, I haven’t been brave enough to step on the scales. Called a vegan day today.

Early morning runs and late night World Cup do not go well together. I’ve my gear with me today to run home from work, but 7 miles Friday morning could prove tough.

M01 9:42
    M02 9:05
    M03 9:05
    M04 9:05
    M05 9:33

Total 5.08M @ 9:19

Recovery Week 3 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.08 | 9:19
    General Aerobic 7M @ 9:00 to 9:15 with 8x100m strides | |
    Progression 14K with 2K@MP (4:43) + 2K@10K pace (3:55) + 2K@MP | |
    LSR 12M @ 8:30 to 8:45 | |