Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Mad jealous of all this foreign running. :D Mind that hammy - you have a pacing gig coming up in Blessington :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Mind that hammy - you have a pacing gig coming up in Blessington :D

as pacer or as pacee?

Short Hill Climb

Humid yesterday. I don't like humidity. Didn't really notice at first but as soon as I began climbing I realized I was sweating more than normal, and the mountains weren't as clear as previous days, a dead haze hanging over the valley. I lost satellite signal a few times over the first descent so the run ended up measuring a little short (I'm sticking to Garmin distance for shot at 2000 annual miles).

Hamstring felt better. I could still feel something there, just enough tightness to make up my mind about tomorrow - no 10x400m. I will want to stretch the legs at least once more before Blessington, maybe 2K at 10K pace on Tuesday next.

Descent 1: 0.77M @ 11:13 (really 1.0M @ 8:36)
    Ascent 1: 2.24M @ 10:14
    Descent 2: 1.27M @ 7:31

Total 4.27M @ 9:36

Blessington Week 6 of 7 Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Short Hill Climb | 4.50M | 9:12
    2 x Short Hill Climb | 8.85M | 9:22
    Short Hill Climb | 4.27M | 9:36
    tbc 10 x 400ms at 3K pace | |
    Long Hill Climb | |

Miles WTD 17.63 / MTD 152.89 / YTD 1306.02

Short Hill Climb

Felt even more humid this morning. As planned, I dropped my 10x400m session. Not happy to do this as I really do want to inject a little speed into the legs before Saturday's race. But given the recent hamstring tightness, and given that the profile of the 400m stretch isn't far off being suitable for hill repeats I reckon that it's wiser to give them a miss. I'll find a fast 2K sometime next week.

My usual route. Downhill for a mile, then uphill for over 2 miles of humid climb. Sweating a lot and it feels tougher today than it did in the hot sunshine midweek, or in the fresh rain before that. I hope it's not like this tomorrow for the repeat of last Sunday's long hill climb.

I've been looking at Google maps, next time I'm here I'll tag on a little further to the run and start from the old bridge that leads onto this mountainside. It adds an extra 2 miles to the climb, but it completes it nicely. The bridge is at little over 600m altitude so you'd complete a little over 1000m of climb in around 7 miles.

Thinking ahead to Blessington - am I confident? Of getting a course PB yes, of going sub 40 yes, of getting PB, I hope so, of going sub 39? Not confident.
    Mileage has been low for last few weeks (although I think the climbing has compensated somewhat over the last 10 days). I'd like to have done more speedwork. And that 19:09 5K TT hasn't helped confidence.

We'll see though, maybe the benefits of 10 days of altitude running (not at 3000m, but still) will only become evident next week when back at sea-level.

Descent 1: 1.02M @ 8:22
    Ascent 1: 2.19M @ 10:38
    Descent 2: 1.23M @ 7:49

Total 4.44M @ 9:20

tbc 10 x 400ms at 3K pace Short Hill Climb | 4.44M | 9:20
    Long Hill Climb | |

Miles WTD 22.07 / MTD 157.34 / YTD 1310.97

Long Hill Climb

Finished my mountain running on Sunday morning with another Baresi to Mezzeno ascent. Completed the climb in 59:53, so 10 seconds slower than last week, but according to the Garmin I ran a fraction further second time out and the average pace of both ascents is identical, so I’m calling it quits. I wasn’t really checking pace on the climb and wasn’t really trying to beat last week’s time. Kinda crazy that I can do that 5 mile ascent, over all those hairpins and up over 700 metres, and pretty much run carbon copy ascents.

Far less cars up at the summit on Sunday, the weather wasn’t great. It was good for running though. I really enjoyed this one. The ascent was measured and controlled and tough. But the descent was really special. As I leave the fountain at Mezzeno the air is clear and fresh but then after maybe 200 metres of descent I’m back under the tree line and then I see a big cloud bank rolling into the mountain face below me. I descend into the cloud. Suddenly visibility is reduced to maybe 30 metres. It’s really eerie. Dark damp and quiet, just the sound of my footfall. Leaves on the road, dark green moss on the roadside and then trees to the left and right disappearing into the cloud. Smelled like winter. Not a soul about.

And then after around 10 minutes like this I’m suddenly out from under the cloud, the mist is gone, visibility is back to normal and I’m running under the rain. Soak up all the atmosphere on the last mile or so of the descent before arriving back down in Roncobello. One of my favourite runs of the year.

All the time while here I’ve been thinking how these runs will build up my strength when climbing up hills. But what I noticed on this run was that my legs felt much stronger on the descent than they did the previous Sunday. I hadn’t reckoned on the hills also helping my descents.

Great few days running in Italy. Can’t wait to try out the extended 7 mile ascent next time I’m over there. There is a race here every August where they run from Roncobello up to Mezzeno, and then up further on trails to a mountain pass at around 2200 metres and from there down a little to a mountain dam before turning around and back to Roncobello. I’ve trekked this route several times and I have huge respect for anybody who attempts to run this. I might next year try spectate along the trail section just to see what sort of effort is involved. You never know.

Descent 1: 1.00M @ 8:39
    Ascent 1: 5.17M @ 11:35
    Descent 2: 4.30M @ 7:41

Total 10.47M @ 9:42

tbc 10 x 400ms at 3K pace Short Hill Climb | 4.44M | 9:20
    Long Hill Climb | 10.47M | 9:42

Miles WTD 32.54 / MTD 167.81 / YTD 1321.44

• Advertisement

Easy 8K with 2K @ 10K pace

First run back on home soil. Missing my mountains. Did this one after work. I was anxious to get the legs moving at speed ahead of Blessington. The first 2 mile or so of today's run were not very promising. Both shins were incredibly stiff, never felt them like this before. I've never had shin splints and I really don't think this was shin splints (I hope), but whatever muscles are at the front of the shins were not happy this evening. I ran home and paused the Garmin while dropping off my rucksack. Once I resumed running the shins felt considerably better.

I headed over to Chapelizod Road and just after the Islandbridge Gate I hit lap on the Garmin to start 2K at 10K pace, 3:53 min/km [6:15 min/mile]. So this is were I should feel like a Bolivian footballer at a World Cup in Holland. Not quite. The overhanging trees at the start of the road affect the pace showing, I know I'm travelling at 10K pace but the watch shows 4:02, then 4:04 and dropping. As soon as I come out of the trees it reads 3:47 [6:05], that's more like it. I ease off the effort. I run 1K out then turn around and run 1K back. The pace showing at 3:51 [6:12] or 3:52 [6:13] until I reach the trees again where it drops to 3:54 [6:17]. I push over the closing stretch to ensure I hit target on the Garmin. I succeed, 3:53 [6:15].

Legs felt ok, breathing felt better. Happy to have tasted 10K pace. Forgotten about sore shins by the time I got home.

Blessington will not be easy. My simple plan is to try reach 9K at average pace 3:53 [6:15]. Then bust a gut over the last K. We'll see.

4.98K @ 5:27 [3.09M @ 8:46]
    2.00K @ 3:53 [1.24M @ 6:15]
    1.41K @ 5:08 [0.87M @ 8:15]

Total 8.42K @ 5:01 [5.23M @ 8:05]

Blessington Race Week Session Targets|Actual Distance|Actual Pace
    Easy 8K with 2K @ 10K pace| 8.42K [5.23M] | 5:01 [8:05] with 2K at 3:53 [6:15]
    MLR 10M @ 8:40 to 8:25 | |
    Recovery 8K with 6x100m strides | |
    Blessington 10K sub 39 attempt| |
    LSR 12M @ 8:45 to 8:30 | |

Miles WTD 5.23 / MTD 5.23 / YTD 1326.66

MLR 10 Miles

Not at all easy to get up for this morning’s run. I knew it wouldn’t be. It’s been three weeks since I’ve had an early run and once you get out of the habit it’s hard to get back into it. Plus – I knew it would be dark. I was on the road at 5:34. Proper dark. So I don’t head over to the Park and resign myself instead to uninspiring urban laps around the block. I dust down my Kilmainham – Inchicore – SCR – St James – Heuston – Kilmainham loop. The legs don’t feel great at the start, better than yesterday for sure, but still fairly stiff and heavy. I must have worked them more than I thought while in Italy.

I only check average pace as I complete each lap. It shows 8:38 after lap 1 and I’m happy with that. Brightening up on lap 2 but the street lights are still on. At the end of lap 2 average pace is 8:24. Oops, I apply the brakes: but without much success. The third lap is a slightly shorter lap (no SCR diversion). I keep daydreaming and forgetting to keep the pace in check and it keeps creeping up. So I finish with an average pace of 8:22.

Legs felt better near the end than at the start. Rest day tomorrow and then some recovery and strides on Friday morning. Fingers-crossed the legs won’t feel tired or achy come Saturday.

M01 8:55
    M02 8:25
    M03 8:22
    M04 8:37
    M05 8:04
    M06 8:18
    M07 8:07
    M08 8:09
    M09 8:29
    M10 8:16

Total 10.02M @ 8:22

MLR 10M @ 8:40 to 8:25 | 10.02M | 8:22
    Recovery 8K with 6x100m strides | |

Miles WTD 15.25 / MTD 15.25 / YTD 1336.68

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Not sure what you're expecting on Saturday, but I think you might surprise yourself. A couple of easy days after all that hill work and the legs will be raring to go I reckon ;)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Not sure what you're expecting on Saturday, but I think you might surprise yourself. A couple of easy days after all that hill work and the legs will be raring to go I reckon ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Part of me has thought the same, that maybe it will all come together on the day and I'll surprise myself, like on the second 10K TT this year when I ran a 39:13, out of nowhere.

Then another part of me says I'll have one of those days where I'm struggling after a couple of miles and it all unravels in a hurry.

Got to try shut out that second voice.

outforarun wrote: »
    Thanks for the vote of confidence.

Part of me has thought the same, that maybe it will all come together on the day and I'll surprise myself, like on the second 10K TT this year when I ran a 39:13, out of nowhere.

Got to try shut out that second voice.

What second voice? :D

• Advertisement

Recovery 8K with 6x100m Strides

Early enough on the road this morning, hit start at 6:18.
    Pace was really slow to begin with (good). Took me a while to wake up. Nice morning, misty and mild. Headed out along the Chapelizod Road, through the village until I'd completed 4K, turn around and head back the way I came, completing 6x100m strides. My 4th set of strides started at the exact moment a cyclist overtook me and so he has me running right alongside him for 50m or so (before he sped up to get away from this lunatic).

Not much more I can do now. I've completed 31 of 33 planned runs ahead of Blessington, missing two recovery runs along the way. I would have liked to have completed a little more speed work in the last few weeks. On the plus side I've banked a good bit of hill running (hopefully not too much) and the lungs have been worked at up to 1600m above sea-level.

Good night's sleep tonight and fingers crossed for good conditions in the morning.

<39:00 = Gold
    <39:30 = Silver
    <39:41 = Bronze (PB)
    <40:00 = Consolation

This morning:

4.60K @ 5:52 [2.86M @ 9:26]
    6x100m @ 3:40 average [5:53]
    1.63K @ 5:17 [1.01M @ 8:30]

Total 8.03K @ 5:27 [4.99M @ 8:46]

MLR 10M @ 8:40 to 8:25 | 10.02M | 8:22
    Recovery 8K with 6x100m strides | 8.03K [4.99M] | 5:27 [8:46] average stride 3:40 [5:53]

Miles WTD 20.24 / MTD 20.24 / YTD 1341.67

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Best of luck tomorrow - another consistent block of training under the belt, you're in a great position to nail it

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Best of luck tomorrow, if there was a smackdown between you and TJ I wouldn't know who to back.

You both will smash it tomorrow.

Best of luck tomorrow - will keep an eye out for you before the start.

Good luck tomorrow.
    I'm backing gold ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow.
    I'm backing gold ;)

+1 to this, best of luck tomorrow.

The Lakes 10K 2014

:):):) New 10K PB 39:01 :):):)

I love this race.

Pre Race

Made the relaxed solitary journey down to Blessington this morning. Luas to Tallaght and Number 65 to Blessington. Arrive at 9:00 and go to the same café as last year for a fruit scone and a cup of tea. Read the paper, no rush, loads of time. I’m already enjoying the morning out. The sun is shining as I walk down to the bridge. Last year it was wet and grey and I barely looked twice at the lakes, this morning instead I could properly appreciate the view down onto the lakes, really beautiful spot.

Collect my number, get into gear, drop my bag, visit the portaloo and set out on my warm-up, heading back along the course to a bit beyond the 9K marker. I’m happy to note that my legs feel much fresher than I expected them to feel. I think just being up and about since before 7:00 has helped wake them up. The conditions seem good, at least at warm-up pace. The sunshine makes me feel more energetic and there’s a slight breeze to keep things cool.

I bump into overpronator on my way back to the bridge, we run together for a while. His plan is to just go with what the body feels like it can manage and see how that brings him home. Wise. Next we’re joined by TJ. He’s shooting for sub 39 but is a bit concerned about a tweak to the groin he picked up on a midweek hill run. He’ll be aiming for 3:52s [6:13s]. I’m targetting 3:53s [6:15s].

We make our way to the starting area. The drummers provide the soundtrack as we follow the sub 40 placard onto the bridge. We wish each other good luck and after an enthusiastic countdown – we’re off.

01K-05K (19:34 on Garmin)

TJ is gone like a hare and is already 20 metres ahead as we leave the bridge! I double check the Garmin a few times over the first 500 metres and it tells me I’m travelling too fast. I ease up slowly and watch the pace move from high 3:3X, to low 3:4X. Up ahead TJ has opened up around a 70 metre lead. He’s flying, I wonder is he banking time ahead of the hill on K7. I finish K1 in 3:44 [6:01]. Too fast. I continue to ease up gently.

I’m feeling ok, maybe not as zippy and light as I’d like but still light-years better than I felt last Tuesday. The shins are not complaining at all. Lungs are working already but they’re under control and not a source of concern. K2 beeps, I’m not watching individual splits so I wait a little before checking average pace, it reads 3:51 [6:12], still too fast. I continue to ease up. I’m not feeling too bad but I know there’s a long way to go. TJ is still around 70 metres up the road, but the gap is holding steady now so he must have applied the brakes as well.

K3 beeps and the average pace is finally showing at 3:53 [6:15]. I’m happy to finally be travelling on target pace but no more brakes now, now I have to maintain it. I’m not feeling as good as I’d hoped at this point, no crisis by any means but I’m just concerned about how I’ll feel later in the race. I’m realising that improving your 10K time is a lot about finding that level of discomfort that you think you can bear for the full 10K, there’s not a lot of scope for cruising along enjoying the scenery. 10Ks are hard work from start to finish, or at least from 2K to finish.

4K beeps. I check average pace, it’s 3:55 [6:18]. That’s no good!! I wish the Garmin would show one decimal place or at least round up. When showing average pace at 3:53 I was actually travelling at 3:53.8, so really much closer to 3:54 [6:17]. Ease off a little and suddenly it can be showing average at 3:55 (I was actually at 3:55.0). So on the road it looks like I’m suddenly travelling 2 seconds slower, when really it’s just a little over 1 second slower. Very unsettling for this Garmin obsessive :rolleyes:

For a while I think TJ is coming back to me, then I realise it’s a yellow and green Brother’s Pearse singlet not a yellow and green Annalee AC singlet. I pass the Brother’s Pearse runner. TJ is still up ahead, maybe only 50 metres now. He’s running behind three other runners, I’m happy enough once they’re still in sight. I try pushing and manage to get 3:54 [6:17] showing again, but I cannot yet get back to 3:53 [6:15].

Go through 5K in 19:35. Didn’t check it at the time I was only focusing on average pace and knew I had to push. One thing I was noticing is that the Garmin was splitting pretty much spot on with the kilometre markers, so I was taking a good racing line, maybe 3:54s [6:17s] would suffice?

06K-10K (19:23 on Garmin)

I see TJ turning around the hairpin shortly after 5K. Some good local support around here. When I turn the corner I see TJ stopped by the roadside. I give some words of encouragement, assuming he was struggling and not realising he had a groin injury. He starts running alongside me and when we reach the water station further up the road he stops up again saying he was alright and telling me to push on.

Go through 6K and start to brace myself for the hill ahead. There’s a bit of a dip down toward the hill and I try to build up a little momentum on this. I glance at the Garmin, back at 3:53 [6:15]. Back on track. And then the ascent starts.

I try visualize the endless forest hairpins in Italy and remind myself how much steeper they were. Course I wasn’t running them at 10K pace. It feels tough. Head down as the effort level increases. I’m breathing hard but slowly gaining on the next runner ahead of me. And then suddenly the hill is over! Already? I remember it being so much longer. So maybe the recent hill-runs weren’t in vain. I overtake the next runner shortly after cresting the hill and begin the downhill stretch.

I don’t want to check the Garmin immediately, I want to try erase whatever damage the hill did to my average pace first. I try push on the downhill. I have this image of a recovering TJ having me in his sights behind and this spurs me on. I am tiring now though and I have to fight the temptation to relax thinking that with the hill behind me there’s no more work to do. I need to keep pushing.

After 8K I glance again at the Garmin, average is showing 3:54 [6:17]. It’s going to be very tight. The Garmin is beeping only a few metres before each marker so I know I’m still on a decent racing line. I’m really feeling it now. Willing the 9K marker to arrive. I’m running along the stretch I ran on my warm-up. Finally I’m on the last K. But I decide to hold back on any push until the 500m marker. I’ve caught up with one of the runners (blue t-shirt) who I think was running with TJ earlier. Seeing me draw level with him he finds an extra gear and eases ahead. I decide it’s too soon to try challenge him and stick with my plan to wait for the 500m marker. I wonder if this cost me gold?

Closing stages I push a little harder, maybe not as hard as I could (though it’s easy to say this hours later from the comfort of your laptop). Then there’s the finishing line. Lungs and legs are wrecked but I find a little extra speed and push for a fast finish. I’d more or less given up hope on the sub 39. I’m squinting and see 3?:5?. I assume it’s 39:5? and think, surely I’m not that close to 40:00! Then I realise it’s showing 38:52.
    But it's just that bit too far away. I push. Eyes on the race-clock. Garmin beeps for 10K, a few metres later I’m over the line, I could see 39:01 on the clock overhead.

Post Race

I’d pressed lap on the Garmin instead of stop. And then fumbled some more with the Garmin so I couldn’t get any indication if my chip time might have got me under 39:00. I’d have to wait till I got home to find out.

Moments later overpronator is by my side, having logged a 39:16 PB. He’s obviously left nothing on the road as he stops to dry retch. Great running. TJ comes in just a little while later. Despite knowing he wasn’t going to hit his targets on the day he rallied well, said he saw a runner starting to struggle a bit and decided he’d try catch her and give her something to chase. Happy with his performance aside from the groin injury and finishing with a healthy time despite the two injury stops.

Once I got home (thanks for the drive and the chat TJ) I checked online to find a chip time of 39:01. Ah well, always knew it’d be tight. Still though I’m happy with the performance, a 40 second PB. Over a minute and a half quicker this year than last year. From around 1K onwards I don't remember being overtaken by anyone. I think I need to work on my finishing some more, I have a nagging feeling that I didn’t give it 100% over the last K or 800ms. I was too cautious and waited too long before putting the foot down. I should have been dry retching like overpronator.

I think the mountain runs helped make the hill feel easier (or at least shorter), but I still think I could have benefited from one other speed session last weekend. I’m going to sign up for the Cork Rebel Run next month. Last year I ran 40:37 in Blessington and then 40:16 in Cork. If I can achieve the same percentage improvement I’ll get my 38:XX in Cork. I must try pick a 10K program to follow as well, I’ll have a look at the JD one, but I might also try find one of P&Ds. I’d like to see what I could manage if I followed a 10K specific program from start to finish. But that’s for next year.

KM01 3:44 [6:01] avg 3:44.1 [6:00.7]
    KM02 3:58 [6:23] avg 3:51.0 [6:11.8]
    KM03 3:59 [6:24] avg 3:53.6 [6:15.9]
    KM04 3:59 [6:25] avg 3:55.0 [6:18.1]
    KM05 3:55 [6:18] avg 3:54.9 [6:18.1]
    KM06 3:47 [6:06] avg 3:53.7 [6:16.1]
    KM07 4:12 [6:12] avg 3:56.2 [6:20.2]
    KM08 3:50 [6:10] avg 3:55.4 [6:18.9]
    KM09 3:44 [6:01] avg 3:54.2 [6:16.9]
    KM10 3:51 [6:11] avg 3:53.8 [6:16.3]

Total 10.01K in 39:00 on Garmin.
    Chip time 39:01
    Position 33 of 473 finishers (or 7th in a race of 100)
    Garmin link here, with messed up button presses at end.

And just to add .....

...... why I love this race and am already looking forward to next year’s edition:
    • beautiful setting
    • quick efficient registration
    • friendly volunteers
    • friendly local community feel
    • compact race HQ,
    • drummers
    • no congestion
    • water in bottles
    • good quality t-shirt (last year's is still one of my favourites to wear)
    • accurately measured course
    • accurately placed kilometre markers
    • local support along the route
    • accurate timing
    • and within 200ms of finishing I had received: a tasty muffin, a banana, a bag of popcorn, a packet of Nature Valley bites, a regular Nature Valley bar, a Capri-sun orange juice, a kit-kat chunky, a min-packet of Haribo jellies, a mini-packet of Cheerios, a bag of choc-chip cookie mix, a toothbrush, toothpaste and a shower gel. Plus there were hot drinks back at race HQ.

Thanks again Lakeshore Strides, exemplary.

Great run today, things coming along nicely. .

Nice report.
    Super pb.
    Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on a great result, nice report too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Well done! Good read as usual :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Very well done D, your running so far this year has been nothing short of desirable. Long may it continue for you, see even more big improvement for you in next 12 months. Just shows all those pre 6am starts pay off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Great report, and very well done on the pb. I think that race will bring you on enough to sail in under 39 (and beyond) next time out.

I'll see you for the half where it seems we're both sandbagging it!

I'll see you for the half where it seems we're both sandbagging it!

What half are you guys doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

nice report - many many congrats on the time.
    You paint a good picture for that race - must try get to it next year.

Well done again - great running yesterday. Nice report too - I enjoyed reading it.

wowzer wrote: »
    What half are you guys doing?

hiya wowzer. we're sandbagging ahead of the race series half.

You paint a good picture for that race - must try get to it next year.

Thanks - can't recommend this race highly enough.

outforarun wrote: »
    hiya wowzer. we're sandbagging ahead of the race series half.

Sweet I'm in for that too, I may to try hang on to you guys if I can keep up.

What's the real target, no sandbagging.

• Advertisement

It's a no pressure race for me, not a big fan of HM distance. I prefer either a lung busting 5K or 10K, or the slowly unfolding narrative of a marathon.

So I'm putting myself under no real pressure and want to just focus on enjoying the day. The PB is 1:37 from back in 2012 so I certainly expect that to fall, McMillan has me on 1:26 based on Saturday's 10K. I'll probably line up with the 1:30 pacers and see if I can stay with them to the end.

I've no HM specific training done. I have the speed needed for a sub 1:30 but I don't know if I have the endurance. I think I've only one or two 16 milers done since Cork.

Advertisement