Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Frank Duffy 10 Miler

New PB of 66:43 :)

I was very relaxed ahead of yesterday's race. I'd ruled out racing it flat-out so the pressure was off. My 10 mile PB was 69:14 from the last time I ran this race in 2013. So I knew that barring a disaster I should pick up a PB. The priority is Blessington in 2 weeks and the final McMillan key 10K workout scheduled for next Wednesday evening. Today was about working up a bit of a sweat over 10 miles of close to tempo pace running. I decided before hand to aim for 4:12 [6:46] pace to pick up a 67:XX and just try enjoy the race day atmosphere.

Jogged over to the park with overpronator and his OH. He has made so much improvement over the last 12 months and it shows no sign of stopping. He'd arranged to try hang on to some others and go around in 61:XX. I wasn't surprised to see him go one better and lodge a 60:XX. The three of us bid each other best of luck and each went to find our own starting spots. A few minutes later we were off.

The Race

A lovely downhill start to this one. I wasn't worried about congestion as I wasn't chasing every single second. Anyway it wasn't very congested, I only remember having to weave past one person that had started way too far up the field. I was a little aggrieved to see 4:1X pace showing right from the start, I had assumed I'd flake off at 3:5X and have the luxury of easing off over the first mile or two. I turn off Chesterfield travelling at 4:09 [6:41] pace. A little faster than planned but I was sure the North Road would get me back on track.

I think the pace dropped to 4:11 [6:44] at one point but I spent the majority of the North Road making sure I didn't get carried away and try to overtake too many people. Grabbed some water from the first water-stop, the majority consumed via my nose. As we turned right onto Chesterfield to a Daft Punk soundtrack I was very conscious that I was the only person actually sticking to the road and not cutting across the grass. Felt a bit silly but a road race is a road race.

A lot of runners around me are panting fairly hard already. I feel like I'm cheating a little not running this as fast as I could. Legs feel strong, lungs are working well. Despite this I'm still not 100% relaxed because I expect a tough patch to arrive at some point during the race. Turn back onto Chesterfield for the second long descent of the day. My 5 mile split on TDL is 33:21.

Again, as I'm not super-concerned about following a perfect racing line, I take a detour to the left-hand-side of the road and stride through the water spray on offer from the fire brigade. Really refreshing and well worth the detour.

I go through 10K in 41:XX. I'm working for sure and I am starting to feel a little pinch now. Still though judging by my breathing I'm doing a lot better than those around me. I continue to slowly ease past other runners. Out of the park at Islandbridge Gate. I'm kind of anxious now to get the race over, not because the legs and lungs are uncomfortable more because mentally I'm starting to worry about the hilly last mile and a half.

Back into the park at Chapelizod. Two runners that I had been tailing start up the hill alongside me. I ease past them. One of them leaves out a few groans and I don't see him again. The other guy pulls level with me and runs alongside me, I'm fairly sure he's decided to stay with me for the climb. We overtake a few strugglers along here. I'm thinking don't get into a race with this guy, you've got your session next Wednesday. Then at the top of the hill he moves ahead quite quickly, good allows me to leave him go, if he'd hovered around alongside me and gradually upped the pace I probably would have tried to stay with him.

I'm happy it's the last mile. Legs are feeling it and lungs are working a little harder now. That said I don't think I've ever felt so comfortable along this final mile of a Race Series. Onto Furze and I gradually up the pace. I feel if anyone challenges me to a sprint I'd have a good chance of beating them. I see the finishing line up ahead and see 66:04 on the Garmin. I want to be sure of a 66:XX so I speed up over the last few hundred metres. I overtake some more runners and no-one tries to match my pace. Over the line in 66:43, on Garmin and on chip. No try retching, no mad panting.

Enjoyed that. A luxury to run a 2:31min PB without stressing too much. Mission accomplished. The legs felt grand for the rest of the day so hopefully they'll be nice and fresh come Wednesday evening. The only little disappointment is that the Garmin measured the course at 9.97. I'm assuming it's the Garmin under-measuring and I'm certain I covered 10M in 66:XX.

Warm-up 2.03M @ 9:57

K01 4:10 [6:42]
    K02 4:08 [6:39]
    K03 4:08 [6:39]
    K04 4:10 [6:42]
    K05 4:13 [6:48]
    K06 4:14 [6:48]
    K07 4:08 [6:39]
    K08 4:13 [6:47]
    K09 4:08 [6:39]
    K10 4:03 [6:31]
    K11 4:06 [6:37]
    K12 4:04 [6:33]
    K13 4:15 [6:50]
    K14 4:19 [6:57]
    K15 4:12 [6:45]
    K16 4:06 [6:36]

Total 16.04K @ 4:10 [6:42]

Cool down 2.27M @ 8:33

P320 of 3739 Finishers or 9th in a race of 100.

Easy 7 Miles +

Did just enough on Sunday to bring up 40 miles for the week.
    This involved a very wet anti-clockwise lap of the Park. Wore a rain jacket for this one.
    My legs felt absolutely fine the whole way round. Enjoyed watching the triathlon as I tipped along. Didn't look at the Garmin until I was finished. Decent weeks running featuring Alpine climbs and a 10 Mile PB.

M01 9:55
    M02 8:59
    M03 8:38
    M04 8:37
    M05 8:30
    M06 8:45
    M07 8:44

Total 7.64M @ 8:53

WTD 41.33M MTD 113.64 YTD 1227.19

Recovery 3 Miles

Another day working from home another mini lunchtime run around lMMA. Took this really handy, enjoyed the grassy bits. Nice sunny afternoon as well. Legs feeling fine.

M01 9:24
    M02 9:19
    M03 9:25

Total 3.02M @ 9:23

Easy 4 Miles

Have I made a school boy error? I'm back in Athlone this evening. I decided to retire my ST5s after Saturday's race. So I packed the brand new ST5s for my midweek runs. Maybe I should have kept the old pair until after Blessington. I headed out after work for an easy 4 miler in toward town and back out Cartrontroy. After 3 miles l could feel some pain in right foot. I hoped it would just go away but it lasted for the rest of the run. It's a bit sore now as well. I hope a night's sleep will help it mend. Could it be the shoes or could it be some late feedback from Saturday? Either way, it's great timing ahead of tomorrow evening's key session.

Won't quote splits because the Garmin was all over the place this evening. Need to remove my activities, too many in memory.

4.27M @ 8:43

WTD 7.29M MTD 120.93 YTD 1234.48

Worlds Best 10K Workout - 3x2M @ target 10K pace

Wednesday morning I woke up and still feeling a little pain in the right foot I thought this session wouldn't happen.

It felt a little better during the day and I thought hmmm, maybe. Out of work latish and I decided I'll never know if I don't try, I can always pull out if the foot starts to flare up.

I put insoles into the ST5s before heading out, first time I've ever tried insoles in these, I figured if they weren't working I'd just put them at the side of the track. Wore a jacket as there had been heavy downpours during the day. Headed directly for the track where I'd do most of my warm-up rather than on the road, just to give my foot every chance.

After 4K of warm-up I hit lap on the Garmin and started into the first 2 mile interval. I'd stay in lane 8 for the evening.

2M in 11:54
    3:42 min/km [5:57 min/mile]

Ok it must be the track. I started off at what surely must have been target 10K pace, but after a lap I check and see 3:38 [5:51] pace showing. This is what I like to think my 3K pace might be. Feels ok. But I make an effort to ease off slowly. McMillan says not to try 'beat' the session and instead try hit your predicted 10K pace. Even on the windy straight the pace doesn't drop a lot. Only over the last 800ms do I feel like I'm properly working. Ok, I'm not cruising around, my lungs are working nice and steady, my legs are being pushed, I'm working up a sweat and I'm not unhappy to finish, but it's all controlled and relatively comfortable.

2M in 12:03
    3:45 min/km [6:02 min/mile]

I'm ready to resume after 5 minutes of recovery. I note a trackside puddle where I start the interval and resolve to check pace only at that point. First lap is showing 3:41 [5:56], that's fast 5K pace. I gently gently ease off. After two laps average pace is 3:43 [5:59], then 3:44 [6:00], then 3:45 [6:02]. I'm never in fear of running too slow. The last couple of laps I am working for sure, top of jacket unzipped. But I finish again comfortably. I'm happy that the foot is showing no signs of upset, and the insoles actually feel very nice, they add a little elevation and an extra bit of bounce to the ST5s.

2M in 12:05
    3:45 min/km [6:03 min/mile]

Last interval of the fourth and final McMillan key 10K workouts. This one is probably the toughest. The first lap is again too fast but on the second lap I've dropped to 3:47 [6:05] pace. I hold this for the majority of the rest of the interval only speeding up again over the last 600ms as I chase down some other runners.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/878634105

Really pleased to have completed this and to have completed all the key sessions on target. I'm not getting too carried away with the paces tonight, nor with those from UL two and half weeks ago. I know the road in Blessington will be less forgiving. All the same I've taken a lot of confidence from these last two sessions. The sub 39:00 is definitely on. Happy that my foot was fine and happy that I didn't run the Frank Duffy flat out last Saturday, I felt fresh yesterday.

I think this McMillan series is as much about the first 3 key sessions and it is about the final and 'World's Best' session. The fact that each session felt easier I think proves that the build up works. Sure you might have been able to complete the final session without the build-up, but it would not have been pretty and would not see you going into your race with confidence high. Having completed the 4 sessions and seen the progress from session to session I think McMillan aims for you to now expect the race to just continue that progress. Legs and maybe more importantly head trained for the task ahead.

McMillan Key Session #1 - 6x1M @ average pace 3:51 [6:12]
    McMillan Key Session #2 - 1x2M + 4x1M @ average pace 3:50 [6:10]
    McMillan Key Session #3 - 2x2M + 2x1M @ average pace 3:49 [6:09]
    McMillan Key Session #4 - 3x2M + 2x1M @ average pace 3:44 [6:00]
    Blessington Lakes 10K @ average pace ???

WTD 17.81M MTD 131.45 YTD 1245.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on nailing that session. Great work

• Advertisement

Easy 7+ miles

Lovely sunny morning for this one. Definitely got out in the best part of the day before the thunder storms rolled in in the afternoon.

This is a busy period of running with: Frank Duffy, McMillan's Best 10K work-out, Blessington 10K, Dublin Half-Marathon and the Cork-to-Cobh 15 Miler each coming no more than 2 weeks after the other. So in between these runs I'm running mostly easy or recovery runs. Yesterday's run was just an easy anticlockwise lap of the park. Went around deliberately not looking at the Garmin. Bumped into overpronator out on pre-DCM pacing run.

Checked the mile splits afterwards and was happy to see that each mile was faster than the previous. I never felt the effort was rising during run.

M01 10:23
    M02 09:11
    M03 08:27
    M04 08:22
    M05 08:15
    M06 08:13
    M07 08:06

Total 7.27M @ 8:47

WTD 25.08M MTD 138.72 YTD 1252.27

Steady Half-Marathon

Wasn't fully decided on distance, route or pace as I headed out this morning. I knew only that I was going to do at least 12 miles and at a pace that wasn't stressing. I had thought about heading out to Poolbeg lighthouse but I might wait for a sunnier morning for that, I've never been out there.

I headed over toward Inchicore before joining the Ballyfermot Road. Ran further along this than I have done before, cutting down onto the Lucan Road before turning right back to Chapelizod. Over the bridge and with the hill at 6K in Blessington in mind I tackle Knockmaroon Hill. I continue up Tower Road and into Castleknock. Join the canal here and run back to Ashtown, haven't run this stretch in a while. I can detect that the pace is increasing around here, I'm finding a nice rhythm and just going with it, enjoying the run.

Head for the Park now, in Ashtown Gate turn right and for the first time this year (I think) I join the trails. Suburbia, canal, trails I'm enjoying the morning's variety. Nice soft surface underfoot although a bit slippy and muddy in places. Leave the trail at Knockmaroon, stop to take a stone out of my shoe and head through the Furry Glen. I know that the pace is continuing to rise and suspect I'm running 7:XXs now. Runners up ahead and I up the pace a little more to overtake them. Stride lengthens as head down the Upper Glen Road to the Chapelizod Gate. Up Acres next before turning down the Khyber. Garmin beeps 12 miles near the bottom of the descent and so I know I'll be logging a little over 13 miles. Up from Islandbridge to Kilmainham and home.

Really enjoyed this one. Checking splits afterwards I was surprised to see some low 7:XXs in there. Weight is back on track again at 71.35 KG. Legs felt fine for the rest of the day.

M01 9:23
    M02 8:40
    M03 8:20
    M04 8:32
    M05 8:20
    M06 7:59
    M07 7:55
    M08 8:01
    M09 7:59
    M10 7:28
    M11 7:02
    M12 7:14
    M13 7:37

Total 13.26 @ 8:01

WTD 38.34M MTD 151.98 YTD 1265.53

Recovery 3 Miles

Waited until it started raining yesterday before heading out for a lunchtime jaunt. I'm trying to tag on little pieces to this run each time so that I have a two lap route through IMMA that measures 3 miles spot on. Getting closer but I still have a bit of out and back to do at the end. Legs felt ok, a little bit of protest from left knee.

With my previous job I had a 2 mile walk to and from work every day (2.13 miles to be precise) . I don't have that anymore, unless I go out of my way to make it, doesn't have to be a daily 4 miles but I'd like to manage maybe 3 miles daily walk Monday through Friday. I miss it and I think it helped keep the legs tipping over.

M01 9:33
    M02 9:04
    M03 8:54

Total 3.01M @ 9:10

WTD 3.01 MTD 154.99 YTD 1268.54

Easy 4 Miles

Back in Athlone for this evening's run. Follow my now regular 4 mile loop round the Old Dublin Road and Cartrontroy Road. Yesterday I had a little protest from the left knee. Today instead it was twinging quite a bit, especially on uphills, so much so that I was adjusting my stride to manage it.

Need to keep an eye on this. Will avoid hills tomorrow and maybe just stick to the track. I have 545 miles logged on the Nimbus probably getting close to the time to retire these. I have a new pair under the stairs that I picked up for $75 in California back in March.

M01 9:25
    M02 8:56
    M03 8:47
    M04 8:36

Total 4.08M @ 8:57

WTD 7.09M MTD 4.08 YTD 1272.62

MLR 10 Miles

Got up a little earlier this morning and turned my 0.4 mile walk to work into a 2.6 mile walk to work. Going to try make a habit of this.

After work I got into gear and headed out with a little apprehension for my left knee. It started to twinge a little inside the first mile and I feared I might have to cancel the run. Instead it started to feel a bit better and didn't twinge again for the rest of the run. I headed for the track initially and just started lapping in lane 8.

It was busier on the track tonight and in fact for the first time I (and some others) was asked if I'd booked or if I was a student. The guy was cool about it though saying to finish up whatever we were doing, I chatted with him for a bit asking how I'd go about booking but he was saying that if I wandered down around 5:30 I should avoid the crowds.

I finished the run by heading into and out of town, bringing up over 10 miles in total. I didn't check the Garmin while running but I was convinced I was hovering around general aerobic pace. Instead I logged some 7:3X miles!! There is no way they felt that quick.

Knee's is ok now. Thoughts are focusing more and more now on Saturday morning.

M01 9:13
    M02 8:19
    M03 7:51
    M04 7:33
    M05 7:32
    M06 7:44
    M07 8:13
    M08 8:12
    M09 8:20
    M10 8:02

Total 10:23M @ 8:07

WTD 17.32M MTD 17.32 YTD 1282.85

• Advertisement

Time to get to bed and get some sleep. I'm more nervous ahead of Blessington than I was ahead of Cork back in June. I haven't run today nor yesterday largely due to travel and work. On one hand I'd have liked to get out today and freshen up the legs, on the other maybe the extended rest will have cleared up any niggles in the left knee. I'll find out in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck in Blessington.

Blessington 10K 2015

Drove down to this with overpronator. We were probably unwise company for each other as each of us was only too keen to discuss how much we were dreading the task ahead. This is as nervous as I've been ahead of a race in a long while.

Yes, I'd ticked off all the McMillan sessions successfully and I had done so ahead of target with each session feeling that bit easier than the previous. But the fastest two sessions had been completed on a soft comfy and flat 400m track. No hills and potholes and camber and long breezy drags to deal with. I felt I had a good chance of going sub 39 but it wouldn't be as easy as the track sessions suggested, I'd have to work hard for it. This will probably be my only 10K this year as I've opted for the Cork to Cobh in October instead of the Rebel Run as it fits better around a 9 week 5K plan building up to Jingle Bells.

We ran a mile out and back along the start of the course. My legs felt heavier than I'd have liked, a could feel a slight pull on the right of groin, plus I felt a little out of breath! I've had a minor head cold this week, there'd be a bit of hacking on the way round this morning.

Blessington has the best starting routine of any race I know, the time-boards held aloft and the drummers leading you out, really gets the adrenaline flowing. Overpronator, in his Donore Harriers vest, and I wish each other luck. The siren sounds and we're off.

Target 3:52 [6:13] pace for a 10K PB and ensure a sub 39:00

01-05K in 19:19

Took off at a fair clip in a big group of runners. After 200ms I could already feel the legs working and my lungs waking up. Nothing dramatic but a reminder that this would not be a stroll. Overtaken and overtaking as people try to dial in their paces. I know I'm heading out too fast but it feels ok and I'm happy to be in that situation where I can ease off a little. Still quite a few runners around me at the first K marker. Completed this in 3:44 [6:00]. Too fast be careful. But maybe the track wasn't lying maybe I do find mid 3:40s ok? No, no, no stick to the plan.

Worrying moments during K2 as in the space of 100ms I feel two slight twinges from the left knee. I realise that this, if it escalates, could put a premature end to today's race. I push this thought out of my head and don't make any adjustments to effort. Fortunately the knee didn't protest again. K2 logs at 3:51 [6:11]. That's more like it.

I'm travelling at around 3:48 [6:07] average pace. There's a group of around 5 runners up ahead, they include the 3rd placed-female, a Star-of-the-Sea runner and a Lucan Harriers runner. I'm aware that they are potentially running a little too fast for me but I decide to catch them up and see if things feel easier running together. Looking at the Garmin I see 3:50 [6:10] showing. I'm still ahead of target pace but crossing into the 3:50s makes me feel anxious. K3 logged at 3:54 [6:17].

I'm working hard but there are no real signs of concern yet. The course is undulating here and the legs don't like it. I realise the group has moved ahead of me a little and I'm running on my own again, apart from a heavy breather who sounds about 2ms behind me. K4 is a 3:53 [6:15].

I'm looking forward to the hair-pin turn at 5K as rounding that will have us all pointing in the right direction. The course continues to undulate, the average pace continues to drop slowly, 3:51 [6:12] now. I'm working harder and harder. Around the hair-pin we go to applause and shouts from spectators. Head down now, race starts here.

06-10K in 19:27

Through the water-station where I don't take on any water. The group is 10m ahead of me again, with the Lucan Harriers runner slowly moving ahead. I don't make any attempt to catch-up, I'm just happy to keep them in sight for now. I'm surprised and very happy to see K6 log at 3:48 [6:07]. I wasn't expecting that, maybe the light breeze that is blowing this morning is now with us, I can't tell for sure. Checking splits later I see that the real reason is that K6 has a net drop of 7m.

Bracing myself now for the hill at 6.5K. Remind myself not to check the Garmin on the ascent. Up we go. I immediately reel in the group of runners. I'm breathing hard and I'm obviously working but I'm clearly managing the hill better than others around me (unless they're wise and deliberately easing off, maybe I should ease off!). Without pushing I ease past the group. The Lucan Harrier runner is still ahead though, as much as 20ms now. The hill feels longer than last year and I'm delighted to get to the summit. I can hear the group breathing behind me and I fully expect them to draw level again soon.

I sneak a look at the Garmin and I immediately wish I hadn't, average pace is showing at 3:54 [6:17]. I can't just hang-on I have to speed up! The downhill should help. When cresting the hill my breathing was rapid, after a few minutes of gorgeous gorgeous downhill I gulp and my breathing drops back down a gear to a still laboured but now steadier rhythm. I can hear the 3rd place female behind me asking people at the roadside if she's 3rd or 4th, no-one knows.

With close to 8K done I check pace again, it's now 3:53 [6:15]. That's still slower than target, I still have to speed up but I'm running out of downhill. Doubts are creeping in, I'm wondering when my next 10K will be if I don't go sub 39 today. I'm preparing myself for disappointment. Then I remind myself that the pace is moving in the right direction, be patient, keep the effort steady and it should continue to creep up. I'm in the third of the three intervals from the key session 10 days ago, I try to imagine I'm back on the track, with no race pressure bearing down on me. Trust McMillan, he said if I could hit the last session on target then I would hit my target on race-day.

Into the long straight of K9. Hurting a lot now. But I slowly slowly pull past one more runner. Lucan Harrier is still in sight but I entertain no thoughts of trying to catch him. Just keep the effort honest, don't slack off. Legs sore, breathing hard as I pass the 9K marker. I'm still not checking the Garmin.

The last K is very tough, softened only by the knowledge that it is the last K. Every second counts do not ease off. I don't feel like I'm slowing, but I could be very wrong about that. We reach a 500m marker, why couldn't they have a 400m marker instead. Feels like there is still so far to go. The runner I overtook a little while back has found a kick and pulls ahead of me. He shouts some encouragement and I respond. I don't plan on sprinting him but I resolve to try stick with him.

The joy of seeing the finishing line come into view maybe 200ms up ahead. I still can't read the time. I still don't know. 100ms I squint and I can see 38:4X. Oh yes!!! I know I'm going to do it. I haven't a clue if I overtook anyone or if I was overtaken, my eyes are just fixed on the clock, it rolls into the 38:5Xs and I cross the line. Thrilled.

Garmin time 38:51, Chip-time 38:54 and a new 10K PB.

I quickly thank my companion of the last 500ms before veering to the side of the road as I fear I'm going to be sick. I don't get sick. A bit of hacking and a bit of drool to be wiped aside and then I feel ok again. Meet overpronator who with an enviable 37:34 improved almost 2 minutes over the course from this time last year.

Once again I have to thank Lakeside for organizing a fantastic race. I'm trying to think of something negative to say about the race but really cannot: parking, marquee, t-shirt, registration, drummers, time-placards, signage, race length, muffins and loads of other goodies, teas and coffees, and a guy already sticking up a print-out of the finishing times back at the marquee with the race still running. Absolutely exemplary.

Two happy runners chatting all things running and putting the world to right on the drive back to Dublin.

I love running and I love this race. :)

K01 3:44 [6:00]
    K02 3:51 [6:11]
    K03 3:54 [6:17]
    K04 3:53 [6:15]
    K05 3:58 [6:23]
    K06 3:48 [6:06]
    K07 4:11 [6:44]
    K08 3:54 [6:16]
    K09 3:45 [6:03]
    K10 3:49 [6:09]

Total 10.03K @ 3:53 [6:14]

Final chip time 38:54
    P41 of 401 finishers or 11th in a race of 100 (I'm getting faster but the field is getting stronger).

Garmin Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats on the PB OFAR - good to see you kept those nerves at bay, well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Great race and equally great report ofar fair play!

Duanington wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB OFAR - good to see you kept those nerves at bay, well done!

Thanks. As the PBs get harder and harder and the margins of error narrower and narrower the nerves definitely become a larger factor. So much of this running stuff is in the head.

dintbo wrote: »
    Great race and equally great report ofar fair play!

Thanks dintbo. I'm still a little buzzed after it, really enjoyed it. Next 10K task will be the sub 38:00. Although 3:46 [6:04] pace or 3:47 [6:05] pace seems a good while away yet!

MLR 11 Miles

Up and out at 8:00am on Sunday morning. I've retired my Nimbus 16s, on with Nimbus 15s that I picked up cheap in LA back in March. Also wore a new top - an Afghanistan International Football top, won in a raffle in Roncobello - it's Hummel, light, neat fit and good material. Didn't spot anyone else wearing one.

Into the Park, meet a mate you joins me for this one. Simple route, up behind the zoo, out at Ashtown, along the canal to Castleknock, then some nice downhill running, down White's Road, and all the way down Chesterfield. My mate turns left and I turn right, out Islandbridge and home.

I could feel yesterday's race effort in the legs for sure, but all in all they behaved well, no twinges or niggles or aches. The new runners were a nice ride as well.

A few more miles covered in the zoo later in the day. Wrecked come Sunday evening - slept really well.

M01 9:34
    M02 8:45
    M03 8:21
    M04 8:31
    M05 8:12
    M06 8:23
    M07 8:10
    M08 8:09
    M09 8:09 [1300 miles for the year]
    M10 7:48
    M11 7:57

Total 11.05 @ 8:21

WTD 36.60M MTD 36.60 YTD 1302.14

Easy 3 Miles

Start the week with another lunchtime mini-run, another 2 laps through IMMA, this time taking in the borders of the formal gardens. Legs still holding up ok after the weekend's efforts. Quite warm out there as well.

M01 9:26
    M02 8:58
    M03 8:49

WTD 3.05M MTD 39.65 YTD 1305.19

Easy 5+ Miles

Indian summer evening in Athlone. Hazy blue sky, warm air and bright slanting sunshine. Lovely conditions for a run. Stayed out for an extra mile or so, seemed a shame to run short this evening. Headed along the Old Dublin Road and into town, looped around by the train station and then headed back along Cartrontroy to close the loop. Legs felt heavier tonight than on Sunday or Monday.

Spend some time thinking about the rest of the running year.

I'm enjoying this period of running with a race every 2 weeks. Next up is the Dublin Half. I'll target a PB here without going all out. I'll probably try for 1:27:XX, but if I'm feeling good on the day I might push for a 1:26:XX. I've got the next week and a half to think about it.

Two weeks after the half there's the Cork to Cobh. I haven't run this since 2011, so a return is long overdue. As next year the plan is to train for a sub 3:00 marathon (but target sub 3:10 on race day), I'm toying with the idea of trying to run Cork Cobh at sub 3 marathon pace.

Then after Cork-Cobh I plan on starting 9 weeks of a P&L 5K training plan. Unlike the HM and C2C, this shouldn't be an easy PB (touching wood for the HM and C2C). The plan will also see me running 6 days a week, something I've never done over a long period of time before. Target race will be the Jingle Bells.

No more races planned after that, but if I spot a 10K later in December I might have a PB shot, make use of the 5K speed in the legs.

Touch-wood I stay healthy and injury-free for all the above.

M01 9:11
    M03 8:47
    M04 8:52
    M05 8:38

Total 5.64M @ 8:52

WTD 8.69M MTD 39.65 YTD 1310.82

• Advertisement

Easy 10+ Miles

Really wasn't in the mood for this one. But as often happens once I got going it was fine. I expected heavy legs instead they were ok, bit of bounce even. Headed over to AIT and stuck to laps of the cross-country track (my lap also takes in some of the football pitches there). A lap is less than a mile and I soon lost count of how many laps I did. Very busy on campus this evening, astro-turf football, fit-for-life sessions on the track, some guys playing 5-a-side, some guys kicking conversions, a junior running class.

There's a few short steep climbs on the lap that made the legs work, but apart from that it was nice to tip around off-road. Evening's are getting shorter and it was quite dim under tree cover on the final few laps. Nice to see on the splits afterwards that each mile was a little faster than the previous.

M01 9:41
    M02 9:26
    M03 9:15
    M04 8:58
    M05 8:48
    M06 8:46
    M07 8:20
    M08 8:14
    M09 8:08
    M10 8:05

Total 10.61M @ 8:44

WTD 19.30M MTD 50.26 YTD 1321.43

8 Miles with 4M @ HMP

I know I said I was planning on sticking to easy running in between the 4 races that I'm completing in this 7 week period ... but Saturday morning the sun was shining, I was feeling good and I couldn't resist the temptation to run at least some of this one fast.

The plan had been an easy lap of the park. Then I thought maybe I should throw in 2 miles at HMP pace, just to get a feel for what would be required next weekend. Then I couldn't make up my mind whether I wanted to do 2 miles mostly up North Road or 2 miles mostly down Glen Road; so I did both.

I'm glad I did this. It serves as a timely reminder that getting a PB next Saturday will demand some work. I think I was running the risk of turning up and just assuming I could run a 1:27. The first 2 miles at HMP (ok a little faster than HMP) convinced me that nothing can be taken for granted on Saturday.

The North Road was fairly grumpy with a moderate headwind to work through. I was glad to get onto OS Road. The next 2 miles were so much easier than the first two. I was trying to slow down for most of the last mile.

So I ran the full 4 miles at tempo pace from CCM15 training, but I'm happy to note that it felt easier than earlier in the year. Also aware that I was wearing the heavier Nimbus, on race day in the Brooks the legs will feel lighter.

Glad I got this run in because I then gave myself an unplanned day off from running on Sunday.

2M @ 8:47 [5:27]
    2M @ 6:34 [4:05]
    2M @ 6:38 [4:07]
    2M @ 7:47 [4:50]

Total 8.20M @ 7:27

WTD 27.50M MTD 58.46 YTD 1341.63

Easy 3 Miles

It's great not running to a plan in between races at the moment, but part of me is really looking forward to getting stuck into 9 disciplined weeks of P&L 5K training from the start of next month.

Monday was another take it easy, no looking at the Garmin, two laps of the IMMA grounds. Legs enjoying the grassy parts of the lap.

M01 9:28
    M02 9:00
    M03 8:56

Total 3.02M @ 9:08

WTD 3.02M MTD 61.48 YTD 1344.65

Easy 5+ Miles

Back in Athlone for my now regular easy loop. Into town along the Old Dublin Road, loop up by the train station then back out of town along the Cartrontroy Road. A little bit of feedback from the left knee again. It always seems to be the second run of the week where it acts up, the first light run after the weekend's efforts everything always seems fine.

I contacted AIT today to see what the official situation is regarding using the 400m track. Asked how to book etc.

M01 9:02
    M02 8:52
    M03 8:53
    M04 8:50
    M05 8:29

Total 5.64M @ 8:48

WTD 8.66M MTD 67.12 YTD 1350.29

Easy 10 Miles

More easy running. Didn't look at the Garmin as I headed into Athlone, over the Shannon, along Shannonbanks for a little while, back out of town via the station and Cartrontroy Road. Popped into AIT for 3 laps of the cross country loop. Have to keep my mouth closed on sections to avoid swallowing loads of little insects. Run a little on the really comfy lush playing grounds. I could see myself just running laps of the pitches here some evening, the legs would thank me.

AIT got back to me, the track can be booked for a fiver for 90 minutes. I think I'll probably do that for some of the speed sessions in October and November.

Plan for Saturday is to try hold 4:08 [6:39] pace, but be very disciplined about it, i.e. for the first 10 miles I don't want to see faster than 4:07 [6:38] nor slower than 4:09 [6:41] showing on the Garmin. After 10 miles I'll see how I feel.

M01 9:22
    M03 9:16
    M04 8:23
    M05 8:55
    M06 8:41
    M07 8:20
    M08 9:07
    M09 9:01
    M10 8:40

Total 10.18M @ 8:52

WTD 18.84M MTD 77.30 YTD 1360.47

Dublin Half Marathon 2015

I only found out about the tragedy of last Saturday's race late on Saturday evening. RIP to the young runner.

My race saw me register another another PB but I was left feeling a little disappointed all the same. I had set out to target a 1:27:XX, and harboured some thoughts of pushing for a 1:26:XX if I felt good near the end. As it happened I was fortunate to grab a 1:28 PB.

I headed over to the Park with overpronator and his OH. None of us were in the mood for this. It was a reluctant jog up the Khyber to Chesterfield. Furze road was packed with bag-dropping runners. As with the 10 miler we head for our respective starting positions and wish each other luck. Overpronator on his way to another PB.

I'm surprised to suddenly feel a little bit nervous immediately before the start. I resolve to stick with my plan of holding 4:08 [6:39] pace until the 10 mile mark and then re-assess. A few moments later we're off.

Chesterfield to Castleknock Gate

The start is promising, I instantly hit faster than target pace and it feels very easy. There's a little congestion but nothing to worry about, in fact I'm happy to have a bit of traffic to help slow me down. The legs feel loose and the stride feels fluid. I enjoy the descent down the Khyber, watching other runners and listening to snippets of their conversations as we all ease into the race.

As we finish the descent and turn up Wellington I'm travelling at 4:03 [6:31] and it feels fine. I know I need to slow down but I figure if I can keep the effort steady then the gradual ascent up along the North Road will bring the pace back in line. I'm steadily overtaking people as we run up behind the zoo. I hear one runner reassure his companion that they were ok at 6:40s. A bit of me will always be a little amazed that I'm running at these sub 7:00 paces without barely a second thought. The thing that I notice now is how slow 6:40 often pace appears when running in a group.

When I see that bottles are on offer at the first water station I grab one and will sip from it for the rest of the race. I'd worn a long sleeve top (the Afghanistan football top, it got a few comments) as I thought it felt chilly earlier, now that didn't seem such a good idea any more, I was warmed up and getting warmer.

A Dublin fan is running behind me, I can hear him asking for tickets from the spectators: 'Any spare tickets? Genuine fan. I don't even want be here!" He gets a few laughs and has me smiling. Up to the Castleknock gate and the pace is reading 4:07 [6:38]. Maybe I've started a little too fast? I'll find out soon enough I guess.

Castleknock Gate to the Fire Brigade

I spend far too much time at this distance worrying about the later miles. As we head into Farmleigh I am actively telling myself to try and focus on the current mile/kilometre, assess how I feel right this moment and not worry about how I'll feel later. I'm starting to feel the pace now alright, but still the legs and lungs are under control. I pass one girl in Farmleigh who sounded anything but under control, she was gasping loudly on every second stride, only 6 miles in, it was going to be a very long day for her.

Slippy conditions underfoot as we exit onto Tower Road. Enjoy the short and sharp descent to Knockmaroon. The field has strung out now, a few of us are exchanging places back and forth a bit. The Garmin still shows 4:07 [6:38] but I feel like I'm starting to slow. The stride isn't as fluid as it was earlier and on each up hill section I expect the average pace to start dropping.

Pass the 7 mile mark on OS Road. Part of me is happy that I've only 6 miles to go, while another part of me is concerned that I've already switched into countdown mode. Try as I like I'm not really enjoying this, I just want to get it over with. All the time though the pace reads either 4:07 [6:38] or 4:08 [6:39], which means I can't surrender and have to keep plugging away.

I'm glad to turn onto Chesterfield where I can let gravity assist me a little. Up ahead are the fire-engines again, spraying cool water over runners. I cannot resist and gladly take the shower on offer. I'm trying not to think too much about the hills that are waiting some miles ahead.

Fire Brigade to Chapelizod Gate

Pace holds steady as I continue down Chesterfield. The descent does offer some respite for sure but not as much as I'd hoped for. When I exit at Park Gate I glance at the Garmin and see 4:07 [6:38] showing. I'm not confident of holding this pace though. Head down and tackle the long drag along the Chapelizod Road.

I know I'm slowing. Yes I'm still slowly picking off some runners, but on a least three occasions a runner or a couple of runners ease past me along this straight. I find very little will to try hang on to anyone who passes me. At one point I do think to myself, c'mon there's only a few kilometres left , inject some speed and see what happens, and I try but the surge lasts maybe 100ms before I fall back to trudge pace again. This is hard-work. I've stopped looking at the Garmin - and along the Chapelizod Road is when I decide a PB will do, a 1:27:XX would be a surprise bonus, a 1:26:XX, oh how smug I was!

Chapelizod Gate to The Finishing Line

The reward for finishing the Chapelizod Road is 2 lovely miles of mostly uphill road to the finish. Again I'm aware that even though I'm slowing I'm still overtaking other runners. On the climb up Upper Glen Road I ease past some runners that I remember had sped past me back on the Chesterfield descent. Clearly I'm not the one struggling.

Once again the steepest part of the hill is 'ok'. Mentally I'm braced for it, I know it will be tough, others are struggling, the legs are sore but it's not terribly terribly difficult. Instead for the umpteen time it's the stretch after the hill that ensures I don't get a 1:27:XX. I really hate this stretch. You crest the hill, the hard work is surely done. But the legs are wrecked, energy is low and the road is still on a slight incline, it's too far out to really push (or so I convince myself). I'm overtaken by a female Enniskillen runner. She looks too strong and I cannot muster the will-power to give chase.

We turn onto Furze. I notice that I am still picking off a few more runners. Maybe I'm not travelling as slow as I think? Up ahead I can finally see the finishing chute and at the 13 mile mark I up the pace, ensuring no one sneaks past me. I see the clock reading low 1:28s and I think yeah, that's about all I deserve.

I cross the line with a chip time of 1:28:18. No elation, just glad to have this over with.

Post Race

Some of the stats I should be happy with.
    • It's a 30 second plus PB in a race that I haven't specifically trained for.
    • This is my 4th PB of the year so for the 5th year running I achieve the 4PBs that my log title looks for.
    • I finish 331st of 6702 runners, that's the top 5% of the field.
    • It represents a VDOT of 52.1, my second best VDOT this year so far.
    • I did hit target (if slow end) pace 4:09 [6:41] on the Garmin.
    • This is only one second outside my tempo pace from CCM training earlier in the year, I remember finding 4 miles tempo tricky enough back then.

But I still leave feeling disappointed. I hate hanging on at the end of races, I like to finish strong. Last year I overtook the 1:30 balloons along Chapelizod Road and up the Glen Road, I was speeding up over the last kilometre and logged a 1:28:54 PB. This year I was around 2 minutes ahead of the 1:30 balloons when exiting Park Gate but starting to flag and finished leaking seconds.

Checking the splits afterwards I can see that K20 was a disaster. The 19 seconds I needed for a 1:27:XX can all be found in K20 alone. That's the problem I guess with a race that is not an A race, if things aren't panning out as you hope, there's less incentive to try remedy them.

I had to abandon my cool-down at Islandbridge as stitches started to kick-in, that hasn't happened since Irvine. Weighed in at 70.75 after the race, so happy enough about that.

I've two more races to look forward to now. Cork-2-Cobh, while like the half, is not an A race, it will serve a very definite purpose. I won't be racing to see how fast I can run 15 miles, I'll run it to see what 15 miles at sub 3:00 marathon pace feels like. I'm really looking forward to for this.

Then, finally, back to a plan, 9 weeks out from Jingle Bells, which I'm treating as an A race. Even if I'm not yet sure what to aim for though I know I won't try for slower than sub 18:30.

K01 4:04 [6:32]
    K02 3:59 [6:25]
    K03 4:09 [6:41]
    K04 4:12 [6:45]
    K05 4:04 [6:32]
    K06 4:10 [6:42]
    K07 4:10 [6:43]
    K08 4:09 [6:41]
    K09 4:08 [6:38]
    K10 4:14 [6:48]
    K11 3:56 [6:20]
    K12 4:11 [6:44]
    K13 4:10 [6:43]
    K14 4:07 [6:38]
    K15 4:12 [6:45]
    K16 4:02 [6:30]
    K17 4:04 [6:33]
    K18 4:08 [6:40]
    K19 4:21 [7:00] :(
    K20 4:32 [7:17] :eek:
    K21 4:14 [6:49]

Total 21.27K @ 4:09 [13.21M @ 6:41]

WTD 35.65M MTD 96.74 YTD 1365.29

Easy 8 Miles

Wore my new Blessington top for this Sunday morning lap of the park. I feared that the legs would be stiff and uncooperative after yesterday's efforts but instead they felt pretty much fine. Turned anti-clockwise at Islandbridge Gate. It's been a while since I last so many runners out in the Park on a Sunday morning. Must last long run time for lots of DCM runners.

Pace picked up effortlessly as the run progressed. I didn't look at the Garmin at all (and anyway I'd switched to miles but had forgotten to set outlap back to 1 Mile), just kept the effort easy.

All told I can't be too disappointed with a 40+ mile week and a HM PB.

Total 8.16M @ 8:18

WTD 43.81M MTD 104.90 YTD 1373.45

Easy 3 Miles

Working from home at the start of the week and got out for another short 3 miler at Tuesday lunchtime. Legs felt fairly stiff for this one, they were much fresher the day after the half. A few more tweaks made to my IMMA, Kilmainham Lane loop but I still haven't got it down to 1.5 miles exact per lap, short by about 0.05 a lap.

M01 10:06
    M02 09:09
    M03 09:00

Total 3.01M @ 9:26

WTD 3.01M MTD 107.91 YTD 1376.46

Easy 5+ Miles

Forgot to pack my Garmin charger before heading to Athlone, and the battery is almost gone. So I decide to repeat last weeks 5.62M route with the Garmin used as a regular stop-watch. Mixed weather for this, a bit of wind, bit of rain, bit of sun, bit chilly as well. Nice autumny atmosphere near the end of this, darkening skies, street lamps starting to come on, warm lights in the houses along leafy Cartrontroy. Was very hungry on this one and really looking forward to getting inside and grabbing something hot to eat.

5.62M @ 8:39

WTD 8.63M MTD 113.53 YTD 1382.08

• Advertisement

Easy 5+ Miles

Didn't get enough sleep last night and didn't get out of work on time this evening. Decide not to do a double digit run and just repeat last night's run instead. Put on a jacket for this to try feel a bit snug and warm. Registered for Cork 2 Cobh and will try get some race pace miles in on Saturday.

5.62M @ 8:55

WTD 14.25 MTD 119.15 YTD 1387.70

Advertisement