Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

tang1 wrote: »
    Today's race was lost on the poxy weather plain and simple. You are being hard on yourself expecting a PB in yesterday's conditions. Forgot about it & move on.

Thanks Tang. Poxy weather definitely moved the goal posts, but I've a niggling doubt that maybe I was too quick to surrender to it? Suppose it's always easy to imagine heroics from the comfort of the sofa hours after the race.

You're right, move on.

Going to get a proper track session done once a week for the next few weeks, and up the mileage. That should allow me another pop at sub 18:30 in early January, while building up a little extra base ahead of CCM16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Maybe target the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's Day? Today definitely didn't show your best work.

tang1 wrote: »
    Maybe target the Tom Brennan 5k on New Year's Day? Today definitely didn't show your best work.

I would definitely target Tom Brennan ... if I was in the country. It'll be Milan running for me on New Year's. No Park Run next Saturday because I'll be watching the little one in the morning. The Saturday after will be after Friday night pints and the Saturday after that will be Milan as well. I'll need to check for a 5K in mid January. (or maybe there's one in Milan....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

outforarun wrote: »
    I would definitely target Tom Brennan ... if I was in the country. It'll be Milan running for me on New Year's. No Park Run next Saturday because I'll be watching the little one in the morning. The Saturday after will be after Friday night pints and the Saturday after that will be Milan as well. I'll need to check for a 5K in mid January. (or maybe there's one in Milan....)

Real life issues, although I have no sympathy for you if you're spending the New Year in Italy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

I have no doubt you're on for a low 18. In calm unobstructed flattish course. I think ur right to give it a lash before ccm training proper. In fact I wudnt be surprised if you hit 17:59 before ccm training. Would be a great one to bank! Keep it goin.

• Advertisement

I have no doubt you're on for a low 18. In calm unobstructed flattish course. I think ur right to give it a lash before ccm training proper. In fact I wudnt be surprised if you hit 17:59 before ccm training. Would be a great one to bank! Keep it goin.

Thanks again for the encouragement. I've been checking race calendar and it looks like a Parkrun on the second Saturday of January. It'd be great to start the year with a PB.

Easy 3 Miles

I ended up staying up far too late Saturday night and on waking Sunday morning the thought of skipping Sunday's run took hold. I allowed myself the morning off. But no more slacking off now. A few goals for the rest of the year.
    • Hit at least 1900 miles for the year.
    • Work up Sunday runs to 18 Miles.
    • Repeat my 3000m TT, trying to go faster than 10:57.

Fitted in an easy 3 miler at lunchtime today. 3 simple IMMA laps with slightly stiff and tired legs. Forgot to change Garmin back to 1 mile auto lap so turned this into a 5K run.

K1 5:38
    K2 5:33
    K3 5:22
    K4 5:20
    K5 5:12

Total 5.08K @ 5:25 [3.15M @ 8:43]

WTD 3.15M MTD 25.38M YTD 1768.56

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

good stuff. don't know about you but i'd find it hard to pb in a park run. this old body just doesn't loosen that early. the parkruns are fab but just a bit on the early side.
    keep an eye out for good weather and flat ( preferably downhill !) courses.

good stuff. don't know about you but i'd find it hard to pb in a park run. this old body just doesn't loosen that early. the parkruns are fab but just a bit on the early side.
    keep an eye out for good weather and flat ( preferably downhill !) courses.

Beggars and choosers and all that. I'd hope by the time I'd get across to St.Annes (that's the one I'm thinking of, although I should maybe check average times of some of the other Parkruns) and get a few kilometres of warm-up done I'd hope to be alert and straining to go.

Easy 10+ Miles

Fairly wet and windy in Athlone tonight, but at least no floods blocking my way. Nothing fancy, just three Cartrontroy loops. Didn't look at the Garmin and just ran at whatever pace felt comfortable, although I probably upped the pace a fraction just to get back inside as soon as I could. Legs felt good, better than they did on Monday's short lunchtime run.

Spent some time thinking about tomorrow evening's run. I'm undecided between 10x400 or 5x800, both would be at 3K pace. I'm leaning towards the latter. I only have two more track-sessions this year, one tomorrow and one next week - so next week will have to be my second 3000m TT.

M01 8:37
    M02 8:31
    M03 8:19
    M04 8:06
    M05 8:13
    M06 8:23
    M07 8:05
    M08 8:11
    M09 8:18
    M10 7:59

Total 10.66M @ 8:17

WTD 13.81M MTD 36.04M YTD 1779.22

• Advertisement

5x800m @ 3K pace

This went better than I expected. Headed over to the track at around 7:00 this evening. The same guys as two weeks ago were finishing up their strides as I jogged around lane 8 warming-up. Long sleeve top this evening with gloves and light sleeveless hi-vis jacket. It's fairly chilly. I'd warm-up quickly enough.

I had been toying with idea of 10x400m off 1 minute recovery, but in the end I opted for 5x800m off 2 minutes recovery. The longer recovery felt that bit more attractive. I would aim for 3K pace, which based on my recent 3000m TT is 3:39 min/km [5:52 min/mile]. This translates to around 2:55 per 800m.

Wasn't sure how the legs would behave after last weekend's 5K. Wasn't sure how this would go. I moved into lane 1 and got started.

I'm getting pretty good at dialing in pace. I check after 400ms and see 1:24 showing, so a little too fast, I'd suspected it was a little too fast. I could ease of a fraction on the second lap. First 800 is done in 2:51.55, that's 3:34 [5:45] pace. A little too hot. I remind myself that I have 4 more to complete, try pace this well. Between 800s I just jog zig-zags up and down the 100ms before the start-line.

The remaining 800s all follow a similar pattern, a relatively 'comfortable' opening lap, run just a tiny bit faster than 3K pace, and a more painful second lap where the lungs and legs feel the effort. I'm happy when each 800 is completed. But 2 minutes recovery is always enough for me to feel ready to start the next one.

In some ways the first 800 was the most difficult, I think because the legs just hadn't woken up properly and didn't feel loose and smooth.

I push a little over the last lap of the last 800 and make it the fastest (just) of the evening. For a while I contemplated running a 6th interval, I definitely had one more in me. But with the Jingle Bells last Saturday and with a 3000m TT next Thursday I opted to play it safe and be happy I'd completed the session as planned.

Average pace for the 800s was a little faster than 3K pace.

Warm-up 4.06K @ 5:05 [2.52M @ 8:11]

Interval 01 - 2:51.55
    Interval 02 - 2:53.70
    Interval 03 - 2:53.60
    Interval 04 - 2:52.63
    Interval 05 - 2:51.28

Average Interval 2:52.55 (3:36 min/km [5:47 min/mile]

Cool-down 3.75M @ 5:12 [2.33M @ 8:22]

WTD 22.23M MTD 44.45M YTD 1787.63M

Easy 6 Miles

Out in the mid-morning rain on Saturday for a 6 mile loop from Kilmainham to Ballyfermot Road and out as far as Kylemore Road before turning right into Chapelizod over the bridge and back home via Heuston. Parts of the Chapelizod Road were completely submerged. Enjoyed the run, tipping along at whatever felt comfortable. Forgot to put auto-lap back on.

6.07M @ 8:20

WTD 28.30M MTD 50.52M YTD 1793.70M

Steady Half Marathon

Needed to get out early for this on on Sunday morning. On the road shortly after 7:00am. Not pleasant putting feet into two heavy cold rain-sodden runners. Pass a house party still in progress in Kilmainham. Dark out and I'm looking forward to running through dawn. I start with my loop over to Inchicore, swinging round at The Black Lion and back along Emmet Road and some of the SCR to Heuston. Then I head for the Chapelizod Road as the sky starts turning dark navy instead of black. Through Chapelizod village and up Knockmaroon Hill. Somewhere along here I pass 1800 miles for the year.

I get to Castleknock and turn right for the Park. The day was only now more bright than dark. In at Castleknock Gate. Two runners have just parked and are getting ready for their run, another small group of runners comes of the North Road. More runners than drivers at the moment.

I head along North Road and then drop down Acres Road. Really nice running through a grey and overcast 15 Acres and having the place pretty much to myself. S-bends and home via HSQ.

I eased into this Sunday morning run. Starting nice and slow and then allowing the pace to naturally pick-up, falling into the second more forgiving half of the route.

The legs felt good and it felt great to have half marathon distance covered before 9:00am

M01 9:28
    M02 8:39
    M03 8:13
    M04 8:27
    M05 8:08
    M06 8:14 (1800M for the year)
    M07 8:26
    M08 7:55
    M09 7:43
    M10 7:29
    M11 7:07
    M12 7:09
    M13 7:38

Total 13.41M @ 8:01

WTD 41.71M MTD 63.93M YTD 1807.11M

Easy 10+ Miles

Staple mid-week 10 miler this evening. Usual route of three Cartrontroy loops. Wasn't really in the mood tonight and was just happy to tick off the miles and finish. Battery of the Garmin died at the start of the third loop. I'll log this with the same distance as last time out and l'll just use the average pace of the first 7 recorded miles.

Legs didn't feel super loose and light this evening, I blame not managing an easy or recovery run since Sunday. Probably the last time this year that I'll run this loop, I'm not due in Athlone next week.

Thoughts now are focused on tomorrow's final track session of the year, a repeat of my recent 3000m TT. Mixture of dread and excitement ahead of this. The goal is simple, improve on the 10:57.01 logged last time out. I then want to try fit in at least 2 more 3K pace speed sessions between tomorrow and the Parkrun on 9 January.

Total 10.66M @ 8:15

WTD 10.66M MTD 74.59M YTD 1817.77M

3000m TT

:mad:

Turn up at the track at around 7 this evening. I have the floodlights put on just for me, not the most environmentally friendly run.

Spent the first while warming up in lane 8. Completed 5K of warm-up then strolled up and down the 100m straight trying to get myself ready mentally. C'mon last track session of the year make it count. In 15 minutes it'll be all over, first K will be grand you just have to work for 2K, the whole thing is less than 2 miles, how hard can this be? Find myself at the start line, quit thinking about it just run. I hit start and get to work.

Again I decide to glance at 400m splits to make sure I'm pacing ok. Reckon if I see 1:27 or 1:28 I'll consider it as neutral, anything lower or higher I'll try keep track of. So when I see a 1:25 flash up for the first lap I tell myself I have 2 seconds in the bank. I also tell myself to slow down a bit. I don't do a great job of slowing down and the second lap is another 1:25, that's 4 seconds up already, but now I really must ease off.

Third lap and now the legs and lungs are working. Nothing too difficult but I know it'll get a lot more painful pretty soon. There's a headwind on the last 100m of each lap and it feels like it's getting stronger each time round. Lap 3 is a 1:27. Ok that's better and I've still got 4 seconds grace.

Lap 4 is, like last time out, where things quickly start to become more uncomfortable. Lungs are really not enjoying the headwind, I strain into it. Log a 1:28, I still have those 4 seconds but I'm slowing, I don't need the Garmin to tell me, I can feel it.

Like last time out, on lap 5 I toy with the idea of just running a 2000m TT. I've suddenly entered countdown mode. I glance at my lap 5 split, I see 1:29 flash up: now just 3 seconds grace. I don't check splits after this, proof that I'm really hurting. Lap 6 I resist the urge to ease up a little. This distance is merciless, you cannot ease up, every split second counts, the demand on the legs and lungs is relentless. I'm on my own so I allow myself some pained groans.

I feel I'm leaking seconds into the wind. The last K is going on forever, it never feels this long on the road. I don't think I'll beat 10:57.01 but I continue to try keep the effort constant. Pass the 2600m mark. Last lap c'mon. Last lap of the year. Strain into the wind again. Complete 7 laps and now the last 200m. I push into the red and I attack the last 100m with a lengthened and controlled stride. Thrilled to go over the line. Hit stop on Garmin.

Then hold reset. Why isn't it beeping? Then hit lap, one beep. What? Time's still moving. Ah f*ck. I hit stop again. This time it works. But I messed up the time, the final 200ms isn't timed properly. I am not happy. All that effort and hurt and no time to show for it. I'm really not happy.

On my cool-down I decide I'll just use the same time as last time for the final 200m. I feel I ran a better last 200m tonight, so surely that's fair?

When I get back I have to open up a spreadsheet before I shower and l throw in the splits (overall cumulative split against previous TT in brackets)

Lap 1 in 1:25.29 (1.77 seconds up)
    Lap 2 in 1:25.63 (1.09 seconds up)
    Lap 3 in 1:27.23 (1.53 seconds up)
    Lap 4 in 1:28.14 (1.62 seconds up)
    Lap 5 in 1:29.30 (0.77 seconds up)
    Lap 6 in 1:28.95 (0.50 seconds up)
    Lap 7 in 1:29.23 (0.74 seconds up)

So if I give myself 42.50 for the last 200m then I have a new PB by 0.74 seconds of 10:56.27.

I'm going to take that as an Interim PB, Conor McGregor style. That's 3:38 [5:52] pace.

What I'm learning is that a 3000m TT is a really tough session. That 3K on the road passes much faster than 3000m on the track. I'd love to try one more of these before marathon training starts next month but I'm not sure how I can fit it in. There is a track I've spotted on google maps near where I'll be in Milan. I might suss it out, though I suspect I won't be able to just wander up and run. I'll see. Anyway Garmin button-fumble aside I'm happy with the evening's work.

WTD 19.54M MTD 83.47M YTD 1826.65M

Steady 15 Miles

Saturday’s run fell victim to Friday night Christmas drinks with the old work crowd. It’s the season.

Sunday’s run instead was a good one. It was bright and dry but very windy up around the North Road and OS Road. Got out for this at 8:30. Over to Islandbridge Gate and turn right for 2 anticlockwise laps of the Park. Meet up with a mate of mine on the first lap behind the zoo and he cycled with me for a lap and a half. We’re chatting away (apart from on the North Road where I couldn’t hear a thing thanks to the wind) and the miles ticked by quickly. It was nice to see the sun make an appearance. Quiet a few runners and cyclists out this morning.

On lap 2 I found myself responding to the North Road headwinds by upping the pace and pushing into the wind. Once out of the wind I then continued at the quicker pace. I wasn’t checking the watch at all. I found it was trickier to hold a conversation now, but I was still managing to chat. I remember thinking that maybe I was still feeling effects of Friday’s pints.

It was only when I got home I saw that for miles 11, 12 and 13 I had mile splits of 6:47, 6:38 and 6:44. Ok there was the descent down the Upper Glen Road in there, but I’m still happy to think that without realising it, I’d been running consecutive sub 7:00 minute miles. Only the second time since CCM that I’ve hit 15 miles, next weekend I’m planning an 18 miler.

M01 9:39
    M02 8:33
    M03 8:28
    M04 8:21
    M05 8:23
    M06 7:39
    M07 7:56
    M08 8:17
    M09 8:22
    M10 7:53
    M11 6:47
    M12 6:38
    M13 6:44
    M14 7:06
    M15 7:22

Total 15.15M @ 7:52

WTD 34.69M MTD 98.62M YTD 1841.80M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

what was the planned pace for that 15 miler OFAR ? All easy or easy with "stuff"?

Duanington wrote: »
    what was the planned pace for that 15 miler OFAR ? All easy or easy with "stuff"?

Hiya D. Planned pace was really like on the last few Sunday runs, ease into
    it gently and aim to arrive at 8:00 to 8:15 pace. Then near the end of the run if the legs wanted to continue upping the pace then I'd just let them do as they pleased.

I think probably running with a cyclist insured the pace was a little bit faster than normal. Maybe the weekly 3-5K pace runs is making 6:3X and 6:4X pace feel that bit easier.

Easy 6+ Miles

It's been a stop-start December. The final sprint for 1900 miles began this afternoon in a dusky smoggy Milan. It hasn't rained here in months and it's hardly ever windy, pollution levels are high. Just 20 minutes of our recent weather is all they would need here to clear the air. Apparently there have been public announcements recommending people refrain from running and cycling.

Long day with a 6:25 flight. Crashed on the sofa in the afternoon for 90 minutes or so and it took a fair bit of will power to get up, into the gear and out to the park. Complete two laps and it's dark by the time I finish the second. Quite a few runners have chosen to brave the smog. I finish with a mile or so around some local residential blocks. Didn't check the Garmin while running, splits were faster than what I would have guessed.

M01 8:50
    M02 8:08
    M03 8:04
    M04 8:03
    M05 8:15
    M06 7:33

Total 6.74M @ 8:07

WTD 6.74M MTD 105.36M YTD 1848.54M

Easy 10 Miles

Head out at 8:30 Christmas morning for 10 easy miles around Parco di Trenno. I think it must be the flat profile of the park that sees me drop under 8:00 minute miles early on. Once again my aim is just to run at whatever feels easy and once again I run some miles at sub 7:30 pace and the effort feels really easy. This is encouraging ahead of CCM16 training where my LSRs will probably be run at 8:00 to 8:15 pace. Lots of runners out this morning. I run four clockwise laps before heading home via the old Trenno town centre. That's me set up nicely for Christmas lunch.

M01 9:06
    M02 8:15
    M03 7:50
    M04 7:46
    M05 7:51
    M06 7:43
    M07 7:24
    M08 7:16
    M09 7:31
    M10 7:29

Total 10.33M @ 7:47

WTD 17.07M MTD 115.69M YTD 1858.87M

• Advertisement

Lactate Threshold 6K

Put on the ST5s this morning and headed out to a very foggy Parco di Trenno. Visibilty was maybe 150-200m. Plan was to try a test run of the first 6K tempo session that awaits in P&D next month. For CCM15 my tempo pace was 4:03 [6:31] to 4:08 [6:39], I want to try settle on a tempo pace for CCM16.

Generally tempo pace should be somewhere between 10K pace and HM pace, which for me means somewhere between 3:53 [6:15] and 4:11 [6:44]. Prior to completing today's run I had been planning on a new tempo range of 3:58 [6:23] to 4:02 [6:29] and that was the plan for today's session.

I completed one warm-up lap of the park and then started into the tempo section. I initially went out way too fast at 3:39 [5:52] pace, probably because of the recent track sessions. Quickly eased of the pace along the opening K. I was still travelling too fast though in the low 3:5Xs. The opening length of the park is ever so slightly downhill so I reckoned holding the same effort once I turned around would see me drop into target range on the return length. This worked to a point, but by the time I'd completed the loop I was still travelling at 3:55 [6:18] pace and now I was back on the slight downhill.

The lungs were working more than I'd have liked and I was probably to close to VO2max effort. I was however recovering on the slight downhill length plus I was keeping the momentum up by picking out runners up ahead that I would chase and overtake. So I just went with the flow and didn't make an huge effort to slow up. I turn once more onto the return length. Lungs are working harder than legs. I check the Garmin and start counting down the last K. 500m, 300m, 100m and stop. Happy to have this over with. Final pace for the 6K was 3:54 [6:16].

I think this was just a little too fast for tempo pace. So I do think that 3:58 [6:23] to 4:02 [6:29] pace is probably about right, especially because knowing me, I know that I'll target the 3:58, 3:59 paces. This is sub 40 10K pace any faster would be too fast I think.

Checking Strava afterwards and I was please to see that with a time of 14:12 I've gone top of 92 runners to lodge the fastest lap of Parco di Trenno. Only 3 others have lodged a sub 15 time. I want to do one more speed session before leaving here so I think I'll try a lap (3.62K) at 5K pace and log the first 13:XX in the process.

(I won't be hitting 2000 miles for the year, but today I broke the 3000K mark)

4.24K @ 5:05 [2.64M @ 8:12]
    6.02K @ 3:54 [3.74M @ 6:16]
    2.30K @ 4:51 [1.43M @ 7:49]

Total 12:56 @ 4:29 [7.81M @ 7:12]

WTD 24.88M MTD 123.50M YTD 1866.68M

LSR 18 Miles

This afternoon I completed my longest run since June. An 18 miler mostly around Parco di Trenno. Completing 7 laps of the park and then an urban loop to bring me home.

Atmospheric conditions for this one, on the first three laps the sun dropped closer to the horizon, on the fourth lap it was gone and a chill was developing, over the next 3 laps the light started to rapidly disappear as did most of the locals and a dense fog rolled in. The last lap I could only see about 100ms in any direction, the cold fog was condensing on contact and I was covered in tiny little droplets of water. I only saw a handful of other people on the final lap and it mostly felt like I had the park to myself, very eerie and still.

The legs felt good for the full run although I could feel myself starting to tire over the last two miles. I would check average pace only at the end of each lap, 8:24, then 8:07, then 8:05, then 8:01, then 7:59, then 7:56 then I stopped checking. Each time I checked I thought surely I must be slowing yet each time I was surprised to see I was speeding up. The effort always felt easy. The run was a little uncomfortable because from around half way I needed to go for a pee, but not badly enough to actually have to stop.

I won't be running LSRs this fast in the new year, today's final average pace was 7:52, that's a 3:26 marathon. But the run serves to confirm what I've definitely noticed over the last few months, my default comfortable pace for double digit miles has become faster.

Rest day tomorrow, and then I have three more runs the bring up the 1900 miles mark for 2015.

M01 8:42
    M02 8:18
    M03 8:00
    M04 7:51
    M05 7:46
    M06 7:53
    M07 8:06
    M08 7:50
    M09 7:50
    M10 7:51
    M11 7:54
    M12 7:34
    M13 7:45
    M14 7:38
    M15 7:39
    M16 7:51
    M17 7:40
    M18 7:28

Total 18.22M @ 7:52

WTD 43.10M MTD 141.72M YTD 1884.90M

2015 Race History

It's that time of the year. Time to throw up some tables with key figures from 2015.

I ran 7 races across 7 different distances, setting 5 new PBs. I failed to get new PBs over the two shortest distances raced. Two of these PBs were hard earned, marathon and 10K, one was respectable, half marathon, and two were sitting duck PBs, 10 mile and 15 mile.

The highest VDOT went to my 10K in Blessington. Marathon still remains the poor relation.

(paces are calculated against standard race distance, not pace for distance covered as captured on Garmin)

No|Race|Time|Pace(M)|Pace(KM)|Position|Finishers|% of Field|Vdot|PB

01| Cork City Marathon | 3:18:43 | 7:34 | 4:42 | 127 | 1133 | 12 | 48.5 | Yes
    02| Irish Runner 5 Mile | 0:31:56 | 6:23 | 3:58 | 124 | 2912 | 05 | 51.7 | No
    03| Frank Duffy 10 Mile | 1:06:43 | 6:40 | 4:08 | 320 | 3739 | 09 | 51.6 | Yes
    04| Blessington Lakes 10K | 0:38:54 | 6:15 | 3:53 | 41 | 401 | 11 | 53.7 | Yes
    05|Dublin Half Marathon | 1:28:18 | 6:44 | 4:11 | 331 | 6702 | 05 | 52.1 | Yes
    06| BHAA Cork to Cobh 15 Mile | 1:42:24 | 6:49 | 4:14 | 66 | 696 | 10 | 51.9 | Yes
    07| Jingle Bells 5K | 0:18:46 | 6:02 | 3:45 | 108 | 798 | 14 | 53.6 | No

PB Details

Distance|2010 Best|2011 Best|2012 Best|2013 Best|2014 Best|2015 Best|Current PB Set
    Marathon|3:51:53|3:41:30|3:40:31|3:39:30|3:24:49|3:18:43|Cork City Marathon 2015
    15 Mile|1:56:59|1:55:49|didn't race|didn't race|didn't race|1:42:24|BHAA Cork to Cobh 2015
    Half Marathon|1:40:50|1:37:59|1:37:52|DNF|1:28:52|1:28:18|Dublin Half Marathon 2015
    10 Mile|1:17:52|1:15:57|1:13:11|1:09:14|didn't race|1:06:43|Frank Duffy 2015
    10K|didn't race|didn't race|didn't race|0:40:16|0:39:01|0:38:54|Blessington Lakes 2015
    5 Mile|didn't race|0:35:26|0:34:35|0:33:10|0:31:48|31:56|Irish Runner 5 Mile 2014
    5K|didn't race|didn't race|didn't race|didn't race|0:18:40|18:46|Jingle Bells 2014

Easy 4 Miles

I was without Internet for the last few days in Milan, so a bit of catch-up to do here. A short and slow run on Tuesday morning. Sun was trying it’s best to break through the haze of fog and smog. There was a ban on private cars, which meant after a lap of the park I was able to loop around residential blocks while running on the roads. Kept this one nice and slow. Legs were stiff after Sunday’s faster than planned long run. Monday had been a rest day but a day trip to see a friend in Turin saw me covering several kilometres on foot around town there.

M01 8:52
    M02 8:46
    M03 8:31
    M04 8:40

Total 4.21M @ 8:41

WTD 4.21M MTD 145.93M YTD 1889.11M

Easy 10+ Miles

Oops! Wasn't sure exactly how far I needed to run on Thursday to hit 1900 miles for the year. I thought 10 miles would do the trick. Instead I needed 11! I run 10.46M to hit 1899.56 for the year. I guess rounding to the nearest mile that's 1900.

A drab grey chilly overcast morning, completely still. Legs feeling very stiff today for the opening 4 or 5 miles. I start with another lap of the park, then half way through a second lap I leave the park and head along the roads round San Siro to another smaller park, Parco Monte Stella. This park is essentially a tree covered mound of earth. Debris from the bombardment during WWII was gathered together in one spot and now it is one of the few hills in Milan. First time running here, stop the watch for a few moments when I get to the summit and enjoy the 360 view across Milan. Then head back down and retrace my steps back to Parco di Trenno. Legs feel looser now and I finish with what I thought was a sub 8:00 minute 1900th mile.

M01 8:17
    M02 8:19
    M03 8:28
    M04 8:11
    M05 8:18
    M06 8:35
    M07 8:04
    M08 8:04
    M09 8:03
    M10 7:50

Total 10.46M @ 8:11

WTD 14.67M MTD 156.39M YTD 1899.56M

VO2Max 3.7K @ 5K pace

Started the new year with a speed session in Parco di Trenno. Goal was to try hold 5K pace for a full lap and in doing so log the first sub 14:00 lap of the park on Strava. Cold this morning, not much above freezing. All the same there are a lot of runners out, I’m the only one in shorts though. I start with a warm-up lap. Legs feel looser than yesterday but not as loose as I’d have liked. Footfall a bit too flat and heavy. These ST5s are also currently up to around 290 miles so they may soon be retired.

Wasn't hugely looking forward to this. My 5K pace from Jingle Bells was 3:45 [6:02] but considering the conditions during Jingle Bells I felt I should target 3:42 [5:57] or 3:43 [5:59] for this one. Finish my warm-up and hit the lap button on the Garmin.

The fast lap starts on the slightest of downhills and I head out way too fast. Over the first kilometre I ease off from 3:1X, to 3:2X to 3:3X. When I reach the turn at the end of the straight I’m travelling at 3:41 [5:56] pace. Legs feel heavy it feels like I’m plodding along, stride doesn’t feel fluid. However it’s the lungs that are the cause of greatest concern. Definitely breathing heavier than I should be. I distract myself by wondering why this could be and I come up with three reasons: the fast 18 miler from 5 days ago is still in the legs, I’ve been eating more than normal this last week so I’m probably carrying 1 or 2 extra kilos, and also maybe the polluted air quality here means it’s harder to get the usual amount of oxygen into the system.

On the slightly uphill second part of the loop the pace drops to 3:43 [5:59], then 3:44 [6:00], then I quit checking the Garmin. Just want this to be over. But tell myself to keep the effort honest, start the year as you mean to go on. I’ll be happy now just to post a 13:XX for the lap. I complete 3K in a little over 11 mins. Lungs really working now over the final 600ms. I glance at the Garmin as I near the end of the lap and see 13:26 showing, cool I’ve definitely got the sub 14:00 in the bag. I run past the point where I started the lap and I keep pushing for another 50m-80m just to be sure I cover the full segment. Happy to hit lap button on this one.

Spend a good 60 seconds catching my breath as I start into a cool-down lap. On the Garmin I covered 3.72K @ 3:45 [6:02] pace, so same as Jingle Bells.

And only today on Strava can I confirm that I've consolidated my place at the top of the standings for a lap of the park and posted the first sub 14:00 with a 13:45.

Warm-up: 4.27K @ 5:04 [2.65M @ 8:09]
    Strava segment record attempt: 3.72K @ 3:45 [2.31M @ 6:02]
    Cool-down: 4.62K @ 5:04 [2.87M @ 8:09]

Total 12.61K @ 4:41 [7.83M @ 7:31]

On cool-down lap I see a runner wearing a mask with 3 or 4 filters on it, looked like something out of Star Wars. Probably not the wisest exercising the lungs in this atmosphere.

WTD 22.50M MTD 7.83M YTD 7.83M

2015 Quick Year Review

(stats in post 1855 above)

As always the first half of the year was all about the marathon. I wanted to go sub 3:20 and so trained for sub 3:10. And for the first time ever I hit my marathon target time. The 10 minute ‘training buffer’ worked and it’s a formula I will stick with in 2016, training for sub 3:00 to target sub 3:10 on race day. Not only did I hit my target, I also finished feeling strong and posted a negative split. This was the fastest (3:18) and most comfortable marathon I’ve ever run. Also, like in 2014, I factored in 2 buffer weeks into P&D’s 55 mile schedule, these again proved very useful, one was called up having caught a fever shortly before travelling back from California and the other buffer week was used shortly afterwards to rest up a hamstring that was starting to complain. It was the third time I used P&D 55, and it earned me my third consecutive marathon PB.

Next race was the Irish Runner 5 Miler. This was the first time I’d run fast in around 5 or 6 weeks. I never really saw this as a target race and I feel I may have used that fact to justify not giving it 100% over the closing mile. I missed out on a PB by a few seconds.

With Blessington 10K in mind I revisited the McMillan Best 10K workout schedule. I’d abandoned this schedule in 2014. This year I completed it successfully, ticking off each of the key sessions. In hindsight though I realise I probably didn’t really tick off all the boxes. The last two key sessions I ran on the track, one in UL and one in AIT. But I used the Garmin to pace myself. I’d learn later in the year that using the Garmin GPS to pace yourself on the track is completely pointless, and that it will flatter your performance.

I still managed to do just enough though and hit my sub 39:00 target on race day, logging a 38:54. Blessington was the PB I fought hardest for in 2015. It was really touch and go the whole way round and at one point I was fairly convinced I wouldn’t go sub 39. Dug in well over the closing kilometres though to bring home the prize. This race represented my best Vdot performance of the year.

On either side of Blessington I picked off some easy PBs in non goal races. A comfortable 66:43 in the Frank Duffy 10 Miler, and a not so comfortable 1:28:18 in the Dublin Half Marathon, where the conditions proved difficult for most runners. Crossing the finishing line in the Dublin Half saw me collect my 4 PBs for the year, always a target for me.

A month later I’d add a fifth PB when running the Cork to Cobh 15 miler in 1:42:24. A PB was never in any doubt here, the last time I ran this was back in 2011. The aim on the day was to try run the 15 miles at sub 3:00 marathon pace. I succeeded with an average pace of 6:49 min/mile. I finished relatively strong as well. While CCM15 was my best executed training block and race of 2015 and Blessington was the race where I dug deepest, Cork to Cobh was the race I enjoyed the most. It featured me and another runner working together to catch a 13 strong sub 3:00 group, it featured some miles of running in this group, then leading the group and then breaking away with two others from the group, before making (and holding) a solo break with 3 miles to go. Felt like a stage of the Tour de France and I was buzzed for hours afterwards.

Finished the year with a poorly executed P&L 5K training block ahead of the Jingle Bells 5K. All the same I probably would have PB’d if it hadn’t been for a third kilometer run directly into Storm Desmond. Missed my sub 18:30 target and missed a PB by 7 seconds.

So 5 PBs in 7 races for 2015, each race over a different distance. Didn’t run as far as in 2014, but came close with 1900 miles (or 1899.56). All told I’m marking 2015 as a successful year.

It was also the year that I discovered the track. Took me a while to discover that the Garmin should only be used as a stopwatch during a track session. But since then I’ve loved the track sessions I’ve completed. I’ve only done a couple of interval sessions and I’ve run two really tough but hugely satisfying 3000m time-trials, logging two high 10:5X times. I hope to do some more of these mentally and physically demanding 3000m TTs in 2016. I love the clinical measured nature of the track and look forward to collecting some more sets of 7 and a half 400m splits to analyse.

Also signed up proper to Strava in 2015. I like the fly-by functionality and I started 2016 with a New Year’s Day deliberate attack on a segment in ‘my’ Milan park.

Outside of racedays some runs stand out and will be ones I won’t easily forget. A 6 mile recovery run on a warm golden evening in California where me and my running companion pass within 2 metres of a curious coyote. Still in California, a desperately difficult 16 miler with 12 miles of PMP running where the sun and heat absolutely melt me, I was starting to hit the wall proper over the last 5K. An early Easter morning run in Germany where on the map I planned to link three towns and photo the main church in each, a really relaxing tourist run. A series of 200m hill repeats in the Italian pre-Alps where I had a curious elderly couple as spectators. A 10K TT down in Cork where I was targetting sub 39:50 and had lost all hope after just 4K. I hadn’t realised the impact of the slight uphill drag I was running on, then when I turned around to head back the way I came, the dawning realization that I was pulling back lost time and the huge satisfaction to finish in 39:40.

So yes a lot to be happy with from 2015. Negatives, happy to say that it’s hard to find them. I maybe need to work on the mental side of racing, especially now that PBs are starting to become harder to achieve. I need to learn to hurt a bit more, not over the last mile or last kilometre of a race, but over the second last mile or second last kilometre of a race. Lost focus on diet over the last 3 months so I need to rectify that in 2016. I also really need to look at some core work and stretching, otherwise my current zero core and zero stretching plan will surely let me down sooner rather than later.

I'd sign up now for a repeat of 2015 in 2016, 5 PBs and no injuries.

Easy 4 Miles

75.05KG :eek:

Stood on the scales after yesterday's lunchtime run. I'd topped 75 KG. Lots of Italian home-cooking will do that. It explains in part why last Friday's 5K pace run felt that bit more difficult. It also has me worried for this Saturday's planned Park Run. Registered for Park Run this evening and discovered that there's one in Waterstown, which might be the nearest to home.

Yesterday's run the legs felt heavy and stiff. Headed into the park at Islandbridge, a lap of the playing fields, and back the way I came. Some moments of sunshine for this one. Strange to be running up and down hills again after so much flat running in Milan.

M01 9:13
    M02 8:30
    M03 8:15
    M04 8:24

Total 4.02 @ 8:36

WTD 4.02M MTD11.85M YTD 11.85M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

I loved reading your detailed race time breakdowns and year review, super interesting stuff. Thanks for putting the effort in, and best of luck for this year :)

• Advertisement

Singer wrote: »
    I loved reading your detailed race time breakdowns and year review, super interesting stuff. Thanks for putting the effort in, and best of luck for this year :)

Hi Singer. Glad you found it interesting. Thanks for reading.

Advertisement