Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Easy 7+Miles

Nasty out there this evening. Back in Athlone, no signs of flooding this side of the Shannon but still miserably wet windy and cold. Got soaked through and was glad to finish this one. Just 2 laps of my Cartrontroy loop and I'll repeat the same tomorrow. Keeping it easy ahead of Saturday's Parkrun. Still undecided about Waterstown versus St.Annes. I think St.Annes probably has the more forgiving profile but Waterstown is just a warm-up run away. I think it'll probably be the latter.

Planning on taking a more conservative approach, try to hold 3:44 [6:00] pace for 4K and then attack the last K as much as I can.

Legs a bit more responsive tonight. Wore New Balance gloves for first time, hands nice and toasty the whole way round.

M01 8:11
    M02 8:21
    M03 8:39
    M04 8:28
    M05 8:01
    M06 8:39
    M07 8:22

Total 7.53 @ 8:25

WTD 11.55M MTD19.38M YTD 19.38M

Easy 7+Miles

Same again, 2 clockwise Cartrontroy laps.

While it's dark this lap will be a stable route for my midweek marathon training. Lots of ups and downs on the lap which is a good thing I reckon.

Chilly tonight, could even detect a faint hint of cold through my comfy gloves. Neither today nor yesterday have I felt hugely enthusiastic about running, feeling a little lethargic. Hopefully will shake this lethargy off come Saturday morning. Legs were ok, pace sneaked up near the end dropping under 8:00 min/mile.

M01 9:06
    M02 8:34
    M03 8:36
    M04 8:09
    M05 8:05
    M06 8:31
    M07 7:51

Total 7.44 @ 8:25

WTD 18.99M MTD26.82M YTD 26.82M

Waterstown Parkrun

I couldn't find enough hunger ahead of this one. I decided I'd try hold 3:44 [6:00] pace for the first 4K and then see what I had left in the tank. If I was having a good day a PB might be on, if it wasn't a good day a sub 19:00 would still keep me happy. This frame of mind definitely had me more relaxed ahead of the run, but maybe a little too relaxed.

A slightly longer than usual warm-up, it's over 5.5K from our place in Kilmainham to Waterstown. I took it really easy on the way over. Legs felt fairly ok, better than midweek.

So then my first Parkrun, I was very curious to see how it works. I arrived maybe 20 minutes early. Met another first timer, down from Dunshaughlin A.C. and we went for a short warm-up together. Decent enough crowd had gathered come 9:30. There would be 81 finishers. Run Director gave us a run briefing, very professional. We're also warned of the 'gentle' final incline. I line up not too far off the front and with minimum fuss we're off.

Within three corners I've overtaken everyone in front of me and find myself speeding downhill leading the field. This is a new feeling. I double check with the first steward to make sure I take the correct turn at the first junction. Down the valley we go until we reach the Liffey Banks and then swing left to follow the bank upstream. The first kilometre is super fast which is great but I'm already thinking, what goes down .... The first K logs at 3:34 [5:44].

Course is fairly level now. I look at the Garmin and decide I have to ease off a bit. I can hear footsteps approaching from behind so I know somebody has come with me. A runner with black-jacket and a hat on passes me. I'm focusing on dropping gently to my target race pace so I don't entertain thoughts of giving chase. He looks very comfortable. At the end of this flattish section we turn left and head uphill over a slippy footbridge I can see out of my periphery vision a bright yellow top about 50ms behind me. While I'm happy not to chase first place I have decided that I don't want to drop to third place.

Profile of the course is less forgiving now and things are starting to hurt. The second K beeps. I don't check the split, I just monitor the average pace which is currently 3:42 [5:57]. That's fine for now. Running into the sun as we head back east. Black Jacket & Hat is opening up a larger and larger gap. I realise I'm now competing for second place. Barring a disaster Black Jacket & Hat has the race won.

We're back at the first junction of the course and directed back down again to the Liffey to run a second lap of this loop. I enjoy the respite afforded by the downhill. Turn left and use my periphery vision again to check Bright Yellow Top's progress. I think I may be opening the gap, and I didn't detect anyone near him. I relax a little, if I can hold pace I should have second place. K3 sounds and I see that average pace has dropped to 3:43 [5:59].

Back along the Liffey and start passing the first back-markers. I can tell that the pace is dropping, if the rest of the course was flat I'd feel more optimistic of stemming the slowdown, but I know the last 1200m are mostly uphill and I'm worried about the final 'gentle' incline. Mentally I know I've stopped chasing a PB and really the motivation now is to hold second place. As we swing east again I see that the gap to Bright Yellow Top has opened some more. More back-markers now and they're shouting encouragement as I pass.

Legs are tired, lungs are working hard. I can't see Black Jacket & Hat anymore. I'm happy to reach the junction again and the steward indicates the right turn. I turn the bend and uhhhhh!! Payback for the freewheel in K1, this is a seat-off-the saddle first gear climb (well it is if you're hurting on K5 of a 5K). Head down and try maintain some sort of decent pace. Only around 300m or 400m to go. I can see the finish line further up, further around the bend. I know I have second place and I attempt some sort of push over the last 50ms.

Happy to finish this. On the Garmin I'm disappointed to see a final time of 19:15 (also my official time).

I dropped from an average pace of 3:43 [5:59] to an average pace of 3:45 [6:02] over the last kilometre. I see I've covered 5.13K on the watch, rightly or wrongly that makes be feel a little better about the time (a logged a neat 5K on the Garmin in 18:48).

Chatted briefly with and unruffled Black Jacket & Hat (18:20 checking his watch), and with Bright Yellow Top (20:02). Wait to say ciao to Dunshauglin A.C. before heading on my 5.5K cool-down home.

I enjoyed that. Great work-out for a Saturday morning, especially when factoring in the mileage of the warm-up and cool-down. Waterstown is a beautiful setting on a crisp winter's morning. I've already set a new super-short term goal - lose 2 kilo over the next two weeks and come back to Waterstown and try improve on this 19:15. I weighed in at 73.85 when I got home which is still far too heavy.

Oh yes, I was checking Strava afterward and nearly fell out of my seat when I saw Black Jacket & Hat's marathon PB (not to mention his other PBs). Turns out he's Bazman! (he was lucky I was carrying those extra 2+ kilos ;))

Warm-up 5.65K @ 5:35 [3.51M @ 9:00]

K1 03:33.83 [5:44] (freewheelin')
    K2 03:50.22 [6:10] (eased off far too much!)
    K3 03:45.81 [6:03] (recovering)
    K4 03:43.21 [5:59] (back on track)
    K5 03:54.69 [6:18] (Col de la Bonette)

5.13K @ 3:45 [3.19M @ 6:02]

P2 of 81 finishers.

Cool-down 5.63K @ 5:01 [3.50M @ 8:04]

WTD 29.18M MTD37.02M YTD 37.02M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well done, nice to finish second to Bazman all the same.

Steady 12 Miles

Headed out at 8:30 on a chilly Sunday morning with overpronator for this one. As it was a 12 miler I took the controls and navigated us round my default 12 mile route. Chatting away and the miles fly by. Around mile 7 along Furze Road, overpronator asks if I've checked my watch! Sure enough we're tipping away in the 7:4Xs.

We keep chatting and the pace keeps increasing. I had the Garmin still showing kilometres from Waterstown, K16 was run at sub 3:00 marathon pace and we're still yapping. We do make an effort to ease up a bit near the end.

A good mud-splashed effort this one all done and dusted by 10:00. Legs feeling well exercised for the afternoon, managed to add around another 4 miles walking into and out of town

Total 12.15M @ 7:35

WTD 41.34M MTD49.17M YTD 49.17M

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Well done, nice to finish second to Bazman all the same.

thanks tang. it really looked like he was strolling, barely moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Nice work on the parkrun.

Nice work on the parkrun.

Really enjoyed it. As mentioned I'll try improve that time in 2 weeks time. And I think the Saturday after when I have 4 miles recovery week 1 of P&D, I'll jog over, volunteer, and jog back. The extra 2 miles won't kill me. Lovely spot the park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

outforarun wrote: »
    Steady 12 Miles

Headed out at 8:30 on a chilly Sunday morning with overpronator for this one. As it was a 12 miler I took the controls and navigated us round my default 12 mile route. Chatting away and the miles fly by. Around mile 7 along Furze Road, overpronator asks if I've checked my watch! Sure enough we're tipping away in the 7:4Xs.

We keep chatting and the pace keeps increasing. I had the Garmin still showing kilometres from Waterstown, K16 was run at sub 3:00 marathon pace and we're still yapping. We do make an effort to ease up a bit near the end.

A good mud-splashed effort this one all done and dusted by 10:00. Legs feeling well exercised for the afternoon, managed to add around another 4 miles walking into and out of town

Total 12.15M @ 7:35

WTD 41.34M MTD49.17M YTD 49.17M

Thought that was yourself, past you going the other way on the North rd Sunday morning! Just Strava flyby'd it after seeing you were in the park! Chilly but great morning for a run.

Easy 3 Miles

Just had time for 3 easy miles at lunchtime today. Three relaxed laps around Kilmainham Lane and through IMMA. Threw running top over the t-shirt I was wearing and zipped up running jacket, on with the gloves - it was chilly out there.

Marathon training getting closer now, these easy runs will be replaced with proper recovery runs. They'll feel impossibly slow - good.

Vegan day today and tomorrow, first in a while. Need to get the weight and diet back on track after December.

M01 8:56
    M02 8:35
    M03 8:17

Total 3.04 @ 8:36

WTD 3.04M MTD52.21M YTD 52.21M

• Advertisement

neilc wrote: »
    Thought that was yourself, past you going the other way on the North rd Sunday morning! Just Strava flyby'd it after seeing you were in the park! Chilly but great morning for a run.

Snap - I thought the same thing, I recognize that face, 5 seconds after you passed, that looked like neilc. Didn't think to check strava. You were a bit far from home? Lovely morning to be out alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

keep it going. dont underestimate a sub 19 in cold wet early january.
    unless marathon training takes over you'll get v close to sub 18 when the warmer months arrive ! good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

keep it going. dont underestimate a sub 19 in cold wet early january.
    unless marathon training takes over you'll get v close to sub 18 when the warmer months arrive ! good stuff.

actually many a good 5k pb was set during marathon training ;-)

Steady 10+ Miles

I promised at home at the start of the year that I would choose 4 weekends during the year where I wouldn't run. This weekend is one of those. Not a bad weekend to have selected because only yesterday did I realise that I've miscalculated the number of weeks to CCM16. If I want to add 2 buffer weeks to P&D's 18 week plan, then marathon training needs to begin next week!!! I had thought it was the week after.

This casts some doubt over whether or not I will run Waterstown again next week. I'll decide during the week. Part of me thinks I should be fine doing it, but the OCD training part of me says no, follow the plan, run it on a buffer week later on. This weekend I'm busy coming to terms with the fact that discipline will be cranking up from Monday until the June Bank Holiday.

I'll post up my marathon training paces probably tomorrow. Sub 3:10 is the goal but training paces will be for sub 3:00. Two other things.

Firstly, core exercises. I've downloaded Back in Black's core training app and will start following one of the 30 day schedules. Idea is to do these on rest and recovery days. I'll be posting up progress.

Secondly, fuel. I'll definitely be focusing on keeping my diet good during this cycle. Posting runs on this log has helped keep me honest and has definitely stopped me from skipping sessions over the years. I wonder if it can do the same for my diet? I've been thinking about keeping a food diary for the next 20 weeks and logging daily what I eat and drink. I think that my diet is generally pretty good but if I know I have to post everything up here it may encourage me not to have that scone with my cup of tea. Might be a hassle trying to note everything though. I've decided I'll try it for the first week and then either drop it or commit to logging for the remaining 19 weeks.

Marathon excitement is starting to take hold.

For the record I ran 10+ miles easy last Wednesday evening in Athlone. Feared it would be a bitterly cold one and went with two pairs of gloves. It wasn't that cold. Legs felt strong on the run and the pace picked up as I progressed. Three laps of my Cartrontroy loop.

M01 8:23
    M02 8:18
    M03 8:15
    M04 8:00
    M05 7:57
    M06 8:22
    M07 7:48
    M08 7:34
    M09 7:48
    M10 7:11

Total 10.65M @ 7:54

WTD 13.69M MTD 62.86M YTD 62.86M

A new marathon cycle begins today. More mentally than physically as I haven't laced up yet. Task at hand is just to switch on the marathon training mindset.

I messed about earlier with paces on a spreadsheet, don't have everything firmed up yet but I will post up the planned paces tomorrow.

This cycle I want to try focus not just on the running. With this in mind I downloaded the app version of this site and started my first ever core schedule. Following the Intermediate I, body weight exercise challenge, a collection of push-ups, sit-ups, planks, chair-dips and squats. Squats definitely look easier than they actually are! The schedule doesn't look hugely demanding but considering that until now I've done zero core work I guess it should be of benefit to me. Completed day 1 today.

And as mentioned in previous post I'm going to try logging my food and drink on here for the first week of the cycle and then decide whether or not to continue to do so. In general Mondays and Tuesdays will be my vegan days, this because I work from home on these days and so I have more control over ingredients. There is nearly always a batch of Thai red curry paste in the fridge, made using this recipe (minus the shrimp paste and golden mountain sauce), simple to make and really very very good. Heat up a little paste, add your coconut milk and drop in whatever veg is in the kitchen. My favourite vegan meal.

Should also try focus more on sleep, so better sign off.

Day | Breakfast | Lunch | Dinner | Snacks | Hydration | Alcohol
    Monday | Porridge made with water, 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter | 1 sweet potato, wedged and roasted with sunflower oil, black pepper and tabasco | Home made vegan Thai red curry, with sweet potato, baby sweetcorn, mangetout, 90g Basmati rice | 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter, 2 small apples, approx 60gs of mixed nuts (salted) | approx 1.5L water, 2 green teas with lemon | 2 glasses (150ml glass) of red wine
    Tuesday | | | | |
    Wednesday | | | | |
    Thursday | | | | |
    Friday | | | | |
    Saturday | | | | |
    Sunday | | | | |

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I like the look of that paste OFAR - keep those recipes coming !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Drop a little care package of that paste over my gate when youre passing next!

Drop a little care package of that paste over my gate when youre passing next!

I'll keep you in mind when making up the next batch, you might even be a guinea pig for the green paste.

Ok then, this year’s paces.

I’ll be training for a sub 3:00 marathon with the goal of racing for a sub 3:10 on the day. This equates to a training marathon pace of 4:15 min/km or 6:50 min/mile (allowing a little for racing line). So starting with the slowest, paces will be as follows.

Recovery Pace
    (CCM15 9:20 to 10:00)
    I see no reason to change this from last year. Once again I’ll have more to recover from than previous years so this remains at a very leisurely 9:20 to 10:00 min/mile. I’m looking forward to the first one of these already.

General Aerobic
    (CCM15 8:45 to 9:00)
    “For most runners, the optimal intensity range for these runs is about 15 to 25 percent slower than marathon race pace”. That range goes from 7:52 to 8:33 pace. As always I tend to choose a range within the range, not sure if this is strictly correct by P&D, but this approach has worked for me to date and so I’m not changing now. General Aerobic pace will be 8:15 to 8:30.

Long Runs
    (CCM15 8:15 to 8:30)
    “The most beneficial intensity range for most of your long runs is 10 to 20 percent slower than your goal marathon race pace.” That’s a range running from 7:32 to 8:13. Like with General Aerobic I’m going to opt for a range within the range. I’m choosing the slower end, 7:59 to 8:13.

Medium Long Runs
    (CCM15 8:10 to 8:25)
    These should be similar to Long Run pace, Im going to choose a range that gives me scope for going a little bit faster than long run pace, 7:54 to 8:08.

Marathon Pace Runs
    (CCM15 4:29 [7:13] to 4:31 [7:16])
    This one is easy: optimum target pace is 4:15 [6:50], I will allow a tiny tolerance that sees me running no faster than 4:14 [6:49] and no slower than 4:16 [6:52].

Lactate Threshold Runs
    (CCM15 4:03 [6:31] to 4:08 [6:39])
    This one is a little controversial. In my mind an LT run is the same as a tempo run and I’ve always understood that tempo pace falls somewhere between 10K pace and HM pace. However P&D look for a pace between HM and 15K pace. Based on my 10K PB (38:54), McMillan has my 15K pace at 4:01 [6:28], based on my HM PB (1:28:18) he has my 15K pace at 4:05 [6:35]. So that would mean an LT pace somwhere between 4:01 [6:28] and 4:11 [6:44]. But this would be more or less the same as last year where LT pace was set at 4:03 [6:31] to 4:08 [6:39]. I want to run LTs faster than last year and I believe I can run them faster on the same LT effort as 2015. So I’m not following P&D to the letter when I set my new LT pace range as 3:58 [6:23] to 4:02 [6:29]. Only the slower end of this overlaps with P&D’s recommendation.

VO2 Max
    (CCM15 3:40 [5:54] to 3:45 [6:02])
    “Marathoners gain maximum benefit from sticking to 5K race pace”. My last two 5Ks have seen me come home in 3:45 [6:02] or fractionally faster pace when factoring in racing line. I do think I have a slightly faster 5K in me, given favourable conditions. But I’m not in the 3:3Xs yet. I know this because I was dead on my feet on 3:39 [5:52] pace during my two recent 3000m TTs. So VO2Max remains the same as last year, 3:40 [5:54] to 3:45 [6:02]. Hopefully as the sessions progress I’ll be hitting the faster end of this range.

For all marathon pace runs or faster I will be working in metric, for all runs slower than marathon pace I will be working in statute. Also, this year I plan on running the marathon in the ST5s, so I will be wearing these for all marathon pace or faster sessions. This will be a significant change from last year, where I only wore the ST5s for VO2Max sessions. I completed the Cork to Cobh 15 miler at sub 3:00 marathon pace in the ST5s and suffered no ill effects, so I do think they’ll be ok for CCM16.

Lactate Threshold 13K with 6K @ LT

While officially this marathon cycle began last Monday, it only felt like it really got under way Wednesday evening in Athlone, when I laced up for the first time. P&D starts with a toughie, 13K with 6K at lactate threshold. I decided I was going to book the track for this. Cold out there tonight but the New Balance gloves are proving great value for money, hands were fine. I started with an abbreviated loop of Cartrontroy before heading onto the AIT track. It’s busy there on a Wednesday night, with Fit for Life sessions in progress.

I decided I’d take 400m splits for the LT section, I calculated that I should be hitting each 400m in around 1:35 or 1:36. One warm-up lap of the track and then I drift from Lane 8 into Lane 1 and hit lap on the Garmin. A desperately bad attempt to find pace over the first lap, logging 1:28.70, and this was a little more than 400ms because I had to leave Lane 1 to overtake some of the Fit for Lifers. I hope this fast start doesn’t produce too much off a sting near the end. I quickly get back on pace though and start ticking of laps in 1:35s and 1:36s.

Pretty soon I’m starting to wonder what possessed me to run this on the track: 15 laps seem so very long. This would pass so much more quickly on the road. There isn’t a great deal of safe flat road around though so really the track was the best option. Mentally this felt never –ending. I think the mental struggle probably made the legs and lungs feel like they were struggling that bit harder. How can people race 10000m on the track? This was tough. This was tougher than the same session run in Milan in December. Lungs were working harder that I’d expected, legs weren’t as zippy as I’d have liked. I never doubted I’d hold pace but I was very anxious for this one to be done. The Fit for Lifers were gone off the track for the last 5 laps so these last 5 indeterminable laps were neater than the previous 10. Delighted to start into the last lap and even more delighted to cross the 6K line, ease off and drift back into lane 8.

6K in 23:55.50 that’s 3:59 [6:25] pace. On target.

L01 1:28.70
    L02 1:36.95
    L03 1:34.60
    L04 1:35.17
    L05 1:35.03
    L06 1:34.12
    L07 1:36:10
    L08 1:37:70
    L09 1:36:65
    L10 1:36.93
    L11 1:35.97
    L12 1:36.50
    L13 1:37.23
    L14 1:39.97 (pressed lap button late)
    L15 1:33.88 (see lap 14)

Average lap-time of 1:35.70

So that’s CCM16 properly underway. Hips and groin were twinging a bit at the start of this one. I think it might be the squats I’ve been trying . I’ve decided I’ll drop the bodyweight 30 day challenge and alternate instead between the push-up and abs challenges, the legs are worked enough without asking them to do more work in my recovery and rest days.

Total 13.02K @ 4:42 [8.10M @ 7:24]

P&D55 Week 01 Session Targets|Session Results | Post Run Weight
    13K with 6K LT @ 3:58[6:23] to 4:02[6:29] | 13.04K with 6K at 3:59[6:25] | N/A
    General Aerobic 9M @ 8:15 to 8:30 | |
    Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    MLR 12M @ 7:54 to 8:08 | |

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining | Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    01 / 01 / 00 / 00 / 85 | 8.10 / 70.96 / 70.96

• Advertisement

General Aerobic 9 Miles

Another Athlone run. Quite mild out but the gloves went on anyway. Groin feeling a bit tight at the outset, yesterday's LT took more out of me than expected.

Eased into tonight's run nice and slowly, confident that the pace would pick up as it always does. Did 2 full Cartrontroy loops and a third abbreviated one. The second half of the run l was focusing on keeping the average pace inside target range, it creeps up, I slow down, it creeps up again, I slow down again, and so on and so on.

Though I hit overall average pace on target there were 2 mile splits that came in under 8:00 min/mile, need to try keep the pacing more even throughout the run.

M01 9:08
    M02 8:13
    M03 8:14
    M04 7:54
    M05 7:55
    M06 8:20
    M07 8:00
    M08 8:22
    M09 8:39

Total 9.11M @ 8:18

General Aerobic 9M @ 8:15 to 8:30 | 9.11M @ 8:18 | N/A
    Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

02 / 02 / 00 / 00 / 84 | 17.21 / 80.07 / 80.07

I continue to log what I eat. Already the fact that I need to document everything makes me think twice about what I eat. Not as painful as l thought it would be to keep track of items, quick note added on my phone as soon as I eat or drink something. Food choices are a bit less inspiring and limited when in Athlone. I want something hot at least one of the two evenings here but l'm forced to choose between hotel food (which I've been told isn't great), McDonalds (no thanks), Subway or Dominos.

(Trick with Tuesday's mixed veg is not to use a non-stick pan and so get a little browning on some of the veg)

Monday | Porridge made with water, 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter | 1 sweet potato, wedged and roasted with sunflower oil, black pepper and tabasco | Home made vegan Thai red curry, with sweet potato, baby sweetcorn, mangetout, 90g Basmati rice | 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter, 2 small apples, approx 60gs of mixed nuts (salted) | approx 1.5L water, 2 green teas with lemon | 2 glasses (150ml glass) of red wine
    Tuesday | Porridge made with soya milk and pinch of cinnamon, 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter | 1 sweet potato, wedged and roasted with sunflower oil, black pepper and tabasco | Mixed veg, some steamed first then all slow pan cooked (potato, squash, chickpeas, white onion, tenderstem broccoli, green pepper, rosemary, carrot, brussel sprout, red chilli flakes, sunflower oil, light soya sauce) | 4 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter, 1 small apple, 1 banana, 30g mixed nuts (salted) | approx 1.5L water, 2 cups of green tea with lemon | 1 glass (150 ml) of red wine
    Wednesday | Porridge made with soya milk and a pinch of cinnamon | Lidl roast veg cous cous, Lidl fruit salad | Small Domino's Veggie Pizza | 1 banana, 60g multi-grain crackers | approx 1.3L water, 4 cups of green tea with lemon | none
    Thursday | 25g multi-grain crackers | Lidl roast veg cous cous, Lidl mixed bean and mint salad | Multiseed roll with anchovies, beetroot salad leafs and Gouda cheese | 35g multi-grain crackers | approx. 1.3L water, 1 cup of black tea, 1 cup of green tea with lemon | none
    Friday | | | | |
    Saturday | | | | |
    Sunday | | | | |

Recovery 4 Miles

Didn't run any Parkrun this morning, I was drifting towards not risking it anyway but the effort expended Wednesday evening on my Lactate Threshold run made up my mind for me.

Unseasonably mild out there this morning. Went out with gloves and jacket, but really just a running top would have been fine. I haven't run this slow in a long time and I really enjoyed just leisurely tipping along watching the park-life. So many people out running this morning, including what looked like a big beginners' group. Kept it simple, into Park at Islandbridge, a lap of the playing fields and back home the way I came.

Weight getting closer to where I want it to be, first weigh-in of this cycle 72.30 kilos.

M01 9:59
    M02 8:56
    M03 9:02
    M04 9:33

Total 4.03M @ 9:23

Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.03M @ 9:23 | 72.30 KG

03 / 03 / 00 / 00 / 83 | 21.24 / 84.11 / 84.11

MLR 12 Miles

Headed out along my usual 12 mile route with overpronator for this one. No gloves this morning, Garmin Connect captures the temperature at nearly 13 degrees. My MLR pace is 7:54 to 8:08 but for some reason I got it into my head that 7:59 was as fast as I could go. This resulted in a run that was completed very much inside target range, 8 of the 12 miles logging at MLR pace.

The legs felt good. The first part of this route is mostly uphill and when we turned onto Whites Road off Tower Road the average pace was 8:09, come the end of the drop down Whites it had already increased to 8:06. The remainder of the run was about insuring that we didn't travel too fast.

First week completed, 19 to go. Weight is back on track as well, from 75.05 kilo at the start of the month to 71.75 kilo after today's run.

M01 8:35
    M02 7:59
    M03 8:02
    M04 7:59
    M05 8:01
    M06 7:39
    M07 7:39
    M08 7:55
    M09 7:59
    M10 7:58
    M11 8:11
    M12 8:02

Total 12.16M @ 8:00

Recovery 4M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.03M @ 9:23 | 72.30 KG
    MLR 12M @ 7:54 to 8:08 | 12.16M @ 8:00 | 71.75 KG

04 / 04 / 00 / 00 / 82 | 33.40 / 96.27 / 96.27

And here's what fueled week 1.

Monday | Porridge made with water, 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter | 1 sweet potato, wedged and roasted with sunflower oil, black pepper and tabasco | Home made vegan Thai red curry, with sweet potato, baby sweetcorn, mangetout, 90g Basmati rice | 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter, 2 small apples, approx 60gs of mixed nuts (salted) | approx 1.5L water, 2 green teas with lemon | 2 x 150ml glasses of red wine
    Tuesday | Porridge made with soya milk and pinch of cinnamon, 2 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter | 1 sweet potato, wedged and roasted with sunflower oil, black pepper and tabasco | Mixed veg, some steamed first then all slow pan cooked (potato, squash, chickpeas, white onion, tenderstem broccoli, green pepper, rosemary, carrot, brussel sprout, red chilli flakes, sunflower oil, light soya sauce) | 4 multi-grain crackers with peanut butter, 1 small apple, 1 banana, 30g mixed nuts (salted) | approx 1.5L water, 2 cups of green tea with lemon | 1 x 150ml glass of red wine
    Wednesday | Porridge made with soya milk and a pinch of cinnamon | Lidl roast veg cous cous, Lidl fruit salad | Small Domino's Veggie Pizza | 1 banana, 60g multi-grain crackers | approx 1.3L water, 4 cups of green tea with lemon | none
    Thursday | 25g multi-grain crackers | Lidl roast veg cous cous, Lidl mixed bean and mint salad | Multiseed roll with anchovies, beetroot salad leafs and Gouda cheese | 35g multi-grain crackers | approx. 1.3L water, 1 cup of black tea, 1 cup of green tea with lemon | none
    Friday | Fruit Scone | Lidl fruit salad | Pumpkin ravioli, sauce of tomato passata, garlic, courgette, cherry tomatos, red chilli flakes, sliver of butter. Side salad of mixed green leafs, 1 hardboiled egg, carrot, nuts, cheddar, dressing of olive oil and balsamic, 2 slices of chia bread | 50g multigrain crackers, 50g milk chocolate, 2 mandarins | 1 black tea, 1 green tea with lemon, approx 0.5L water | 2 x 150 ml glasses of red wine
    Saturday | 1 pear, 10g multigrain crackers, 1 boiled egg | Salad of mixed green leafs, tuna, cheddar and ewe cheese, green olives, carrot, dressing of olive oil and balsamic, 1 slice of chia bread | Risotto with pork sausage meat, parsnip, red chilli flakes, tiny bit of tomato passata and parmesan, 1 slice of honey and spelt bread | plain scone, 1 mandarin, 1 banana, 50g milk chocolate | approx 1L of water, 1 decaf coffee | 2 x 150ml glasses of red wine, 500mls O'Hara's Stout
    Sunday | none | Pan cooked chicken breast in tomato passata with fine green beans, garlic and broccoli, sweet potato puree with pinch of cinnamon, 1 slice honey and spelt bread | Pasta with sauce of sunflower oil, garlic, anchovies and red chilli flakes | 50g of mixed raisins, 50g crackers with peanut butter, 5 mandarins | approx 1.3L of water, 300ml of non-concentrate orange juice, 1 decaf coffee | 1 x 150ml glass of red wine, 500ml of O'Hara's stout

General Aerobic 13K with 10x100m Strides

Week two started this evening in a fairly chilly Athlone. Headed out after 7.

Did one full Cartrontroy loop and checked the Garmin for the first time at end of the loop. Saw I was taking it a little too easy. So I up the pace on an abbreviated second loop of Cartrontroy before starting into the strides.

I didn't fancy paying to book the track for a set of 10 strides so went for a walk at lunch and found that the new bridge in Garrycastle could probably be used. Running the bridge in one direction offers a very slight incline, running in the other direction offers a slight descent. Legs were good and strides felt loose and smooth, in both directions.

Completed my first 100 miles of 2016 this evening.

And since Sunday I have completed days 1 & 2 of the 30 day push-up and abs challenge

8.21K @ 5:16 [5.10M @ 8:28] 100 miles for the year.
    10x100m strides @ average 3:35 [5:46]
    1.88K @ 5:17 [1.17M @ 8:30]

Total 13.09 @ 5:10 [8.13M @ 8:18]

P&D55 Week 02 Session Targets|Session Results | Post Run Weight
    General Aerobic 13K @ 5:07 to 5:16 with 10x100m Strides | 13.09K @ 5:10 [8:13] with average stride 3:35 [5:46] | N/A
    General Aerobic 10M @ 8:15 to 8:30 | |
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    LSR 21K at 4:57 to 5:06 with 13K @ PMP 4:14 to 4:16 | |

05 / 05 / 00 / 00 / 81 | 8.14 / 104.41 / 104.41

General Aerobic 10 Miles

A thoroughly unenjoyable run yesterday.

Wasn't hugely in the mood for this one. Headed out after work. Decided to run into town for the opening miles, down by the Shannon and around by the train station before heading back to join my usual Cartrontroy loop.

Around mile 3 I started to feel some stomach cramps. Just before 5 miles I had to stop to let them subside. The remaining 5 miles suddenly seeming like a challenge. I got going again. Started out on a regular Cartrontroy loop. Around 6 miles I realised that the cramps had moved south! At 7 miles another stop, this time I decided I would need to make a beeline for the hotel. I was thinking about where bushes were along the way, this could turn ugly. A final gut clinching stop around 8.5 miles. I get to the hotel after 9 miles. Pitstop. Then head out to complete the final mile, noticing that I still didn't feel 100%.

Don't know if it was something I ate or a mini-bug I'd picked up, but I was out of action for the rest of the evening. Shivers etc. Bed early and try to sleep it off. Woke this morning feeling back to 95%. Feeling ok now, hopefully tomorrow's run will be ok.

M01 8:51
    M02 8:05
    M03 8:11
    M04 8:13
    M05 8:13
    M06 8:29
    M07 8:33
    M08 8:33
    M09 9:00
    M10 8:37

Total 10.04M @ 8:29

General Aerobic 13K @ 5:07 to 5:16 with 10x100m Strides | 13.09K @ 5:10 [8:13] with average stride 3:35 [5:46] | N/A
    General Aerobic 10M @ 8:15 to 8:30 | 10.04M @ 8:29 | N/A
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

06 / 06 / 00 / 00 / 80 | 18.18 / 114.45 / 114.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Look after yourself man. Going out for that final mile was pretty dedicated, if not a little silly :)

dintbo wrote: »
    Look after yourself man. Going out for that final mile was pretty dedicated, if not a little silly :)

Thanks dintbo. It was only when I was back out running for 2 minutes or so that I realised I wasn't 100%. Yes, wasn't doing myself any failures going out for that last mile.

• Advertisement

Recovery 5 Miles

I was a little apprehensive ahead of this one. Would my stomach and gut protest? Gloves on for a chilly Saturday morning run. I head over toward Chapelizod via Ballyfermot Road, into a biting cold wind. Over the bridge in Chapelizod and turn right to head back toward town, happy to have the wind behind me now. I paced this one fairly well. Eased into the run, realised I was upping the pace a little too much and so spent the last 2 miles really easing off. Very disciplined. No stomach issues.

M01 9:46
    M02 9:06
    M03 9:00
    M04 9:16
    M05 9:41

Total 5.06M @ 9:22

General Aerobic 10M @ 8:15 to 8:30 | 10.04M @ 8:29 | N/A
    Recovery 5M @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 5.06M @ 9:22 | 71.60 KG

07 / 07 / 00 / 00 / 79 | 23.24 / 119.51 / 119.51

Advertisement