Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

You looked comfortable at that pace both times I saw you yesterday. For what it's worth I think DR is right, 3:10 shouldn't be your target.

I honestly think you should go for the sub3, your PB's bar the marathon are better than mine so I think if I can do it then you certainly can. To be able to knock out that run yesterday is great going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Sunday was a very humid day, so that would also be a factor. Holding that pace on such a day on a solo run is going to be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I think you are being a bit hard on yourself. That's a cracking session, especially on empty. I don't think you are too far off three hours. I think 3.10 is soft and you should back yourself and find a midway point. No reason why you couldn't set off at 3.05 pace (at a minimum) imo and take it from there. Sessions like that always feel harder solo.

(on mobile, not sure how the sad smiley was added)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. You could be right, 3:10 might be soft. The legs might have a quicker time in them. But I also have to be ready mentally, personally I'd need to believe I can run faster before I'd attempt to run faster. Right now I certainly don't believe I have a sub 3:00 in me, and I'm too cautious to try for 3:05 and change my goal at this late stage.

If I think back to last year when I trained for sub 3:10 to run sub 3:20. I really think I would have blown up if I'd gone out on race day at sub 3:10 pace. Instead I ran my most satisfying marathon to date, 6 min PB and first ever negative split. I'm really keen to stick to this formula even if it might mean my PBs are recorded 12 months later than they could have been.

wowzer wrote: »
    You looked comfortable at that pace both times I saw you yesterday. For what it's worth I think DR is right, 3:10 shouldn't be your target.

I honestly think you should go for the sub3, your PB's bar the marathon are better than mine so I think if I can do it then you certainly can. To be able to knock out that run yesterday is great going.

I was just getting started when we saw each other by Castleknock Gate. Where did you spot me second time round? I reckon I wasn't feeling so comfortable then despite how I may have looked.

I agree with yourself and DR and AMK, I am probably under-estimating the difficulty of Sunday's run, done solo, on empty and in humid conditions. But I just cannot make the mental leap to believe I'm ready for sub 3:00. DR thinks I'm closer to sub 3:00 that I'm giving myself credit for, but I believe he doesn't think I'm ready for sub 3:00 yet. I wanted to bail after 20K of sub 3:00 running. I had to find some mental resolve to hit 23K. I just can't see myself improving so much in the next 5 weeks to hold that pace for an additional 19K.

If I can run a controlled well paced marathon in Cork and maybe record another negative split while knocking 9 mins off my PB, I'll be thrilled. I'll be thrilled if this time next year people are saying I should be going for sub 2:55, when I'm 5 weeks out from a sub 3:00 attempt.

Sunday was a very humid day, so that would also be a factor. Holding that pace on such a day on a solo run is going to be tough.

Thanks! Glad to see it wasn't just me thinking it was humid out there. I hate humidity, even more than the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

outforarun wrote: »
    I was just getting started when we saw each other by Castleknock Gate. Where did you spot me second time round? I reckon I wasn't feeling so comfortable then despite how I may have looked.

I agree with yourself and DR and AMK, I am probably under-estimating the difficulty of Sunday's run, done solo, on empty and in humid conditions. But I just cannot make the mental leap to believe I'm ready for sub 3:00. DR thinks I'm closer to sub 3:00 that I'm giving myself credit for, but I believe he doesn't think I'm ready for sub 3:00 yet. I wanted to bail after 20K of sub 3:00 running. I had to find some mental resolve to hit 23K. I just can't see myself improving so much in the next 5 weeks to hold that pace for an additional 19K.

If I can run a controlled well paced marathon in Cork and maybe record another negative split while knocking 9 mins off my PB, I'll be thrilled. I'll be thrilled if this time next people are saying I should be going for sub 2:55, when I'm 5 weeks out from a sub 3:00 attempt.

More or less at the same spot about 40 minutes later.
    If you were struggling you were certainly hiding it well.
    I'm sure DR and AMK mean well just as I do and we are not trying to mess with your head so close to your race. The point I was trying to make is if your able to knock that session out you are definitely in a good place with regards to your target and maybe you should reconsider your target. Isn't that a part of running, being able to adjust your goals and targets up and down according to current fitness levels. There's not too many people who could do that session during a marathon cycle.
    Anyway I have no doubt you will smash that marathon, some super training going on here.

VO2Max 13K with 5x600m @ 5K pace

In Milan and on mobile. So will try keep this quick.

It's hot here. Gorgeous for an easy run but very challenging for 5K pace. Got back from work and straight into gear and across to Parco di Trenno. Lots of other runners out. Some wearing tracksuit bottoms!!

Happy to report no negative feedback from any part of the left leg. I'll continue to wear the support for a while yet though. Warm up lap is really enjoyable it's such a novelty to run in warm air, warm sunshine and blue skies.

I start the 600s at the start of the second lap. First one I start way too fast in the 3:1Xs. Rest of interval is an exercise in gradual controlled deceleration.

The first 200m of the next interval are fairly comfortable but then it becomes quite difficult quite quickly. The lungs are working overtime in the heavy warm air. I finish the 2nd interval a little too fast and I notice that it takes some time for the lungs to recover.

The subsequent interval arrives sooner than I'd have liked. It has a slightly uphill profile and it feels tough. At halfway 300ms feels like a long way to go. This is my slowest of the evening.

Again 100 seconds of recovery feels just a bit too short. Into the 4th 600. First 200m ok, next 200m start to bite, last 200m watching the Garmin.

The final 600m is my fastest. Partly because of a slightly downhill profile and largely because I decide to try overtake a runner up ahead. I reckoned if I hadn't accelerated then I would probably have just passed him out exactly as the 600m was completed and that would have felt a bit weird. I managed to finish around 50m ahead of him and catch my breath in private.

Ran these a shade too fast at average pace 3:39 [5:53]. I'm worried about Saturday's TT in these conditions. Will need to try get out earlyish.

4.36K @ 5:10 [2.71M @ 8:19]

Interval 1 (2:12.45) @ 3:41 [5:55]
    Interval 2 (2:11.27) @ 3:39 [5:52]
    Interval 3 (2:14.79) @ 3:45 [6:02]
    Interval 4 (2:11.13) @ 3:39 [5:52]
    Interval 5 (2:09.85) @ 3:36 [5:48]

4.03K @ 5:07 [2.51M @ 8:13]

Total 13.05K @ 4:47 [8.11M @ 7:42]

P&D55 Week 14 Session Targets|Session Results | Post Run Weight
    VO2Max 13K with 5x600m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | 13.05 @ 4:47, average interval @ 3:39 [8.11M @ 7:42 average interval @ 5:53 | N/A
    MLR 11 Miles @ 7:54 to 8:08 | |
    Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100 strides | |
    10K Time Trial | |
    LSR 17 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | |

Sessions Completed / On Target / DNS / DNF / Remaining | Miles WTD / MTD / YTD
    61 / 56 / 03 / 00 / 22 | 8.11 / 26.14/ 636.13

you'll know if you are ready for a sub3 attempt - but you need to commit to it mentally very soon - otherwise go with a softer option.
    A half committal to a goal like that is a recipe for a badly executed race plan.

See how the next 2 weeks pan out with some key sessions and decide on sub3 - the plan you have of running a negative split controlled race while PB'ing is a great, great goal - and not to be knocked.

You will get a sub3 marathon - that is clear - if it doesn't happen in Cork, well Cork will be a great stepping stone to it.

wowzer wrote: »
    If you were struggling you were certainly hiding it well.
    I'm sure DR and AMK mean well just as I do and we are not trying to mess with your head so close to your race

My spirits were probably jusy bouyed by the imminent downhill. Absolutely I know you guys aren't trying to mess with me head. It's flattering to have people discussing sub 3 on this log. My first 6 marathons have made me very conservative regarding 26.2 miles. 6 blow-ups. Then last year was sweet. I want more of last year and the 10 minute buffer on training is a formula that I want to stick with for the moment. Based on previous marathons I believe my fitness is around sub 3:10. Sub 3:05 carries too many doubts and sub 3:00 I just don't believe I have in me right now.

you'll know if you are ready for a sub3 attempt - but you need to commit to it mentally very soon - otherwise go with a softer option.
    A half committal to a goal like that is a recipe for a badly executed race plan.

See how the next 2 weeks pan out with some key sessions and decide on sub3 - the plan you have of running a negative split controlled race while PB'ing is a great, great goal - and not to be knocked.

You will get a sub3 marathon - that is clear - if it doesn't happen in Cork, well Cork will be a great stepping stone to it.

And I'm not in a hurry. The eventual goal is sub 3:00 I cannot deny that. But I think next year is the the time to try for it. And I'm fine with that. The second half of this year I'd like to build up a lot of experience of running at sub 3 pace. Make it become a bit more familiar. I do plan on joining Donore as I think some strong group runs could really bring me on.

• Advertisement

Just registered for Cork in the last few minutes. Nearly forgot!!

MLR 11 Miles

I've a commute that's close on 2 hours (each way) while here in Milan. I'm finding it difficult once I get home to throw on the gear and get out straight away. I don't dare sit down. I lace up and head out.

Legs are fairly heavy for the opening miles. I'm planning 4 and a half laps of the park. I don't care what pace I'm traveling at for the first lap, I just want to lose some of the heaviness from the legs. Check pace at the end of lap 1 and see 8:43 showing. I shift up a gear, nothing too dramatic. It's warm, though not as warm as yesterday. Crickets providing the soundtrack for this run. End of lap 2 and pace jumped up to 8:18. I don't make any adjustments for lap 3 and finish it with average pace showing at 8:01.

Ease up on the last lap. Cooler now as sun has set. Legs feel much better in last 2 miles than in the first 2 miles. Happy to finish this one, shower, grab some grub and switch off. Knee fine, shin fine, calf fine.

M01 8:45
    M02 8:47
    M03 8:14
    M04 7:55
    M05 7:39
    M06 7:24
    M07 7:26
    M08 7:19
    M09 7:38
    M10 7:27
    M11 8:22

Total 11.12M @ 7:55

VO2Max 13K with 5x600m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | 13.05 @ 4:47, average interval @ 3:39 [8.11M @ 7:42 average interval @ 5:53 | N/A
    MLR 11 Miles @ 7:54 to 8:08 | 11.12M @ 7:55 | N/A
    Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100 strides | |
    10K Time Trial | |

62 / 57 / 03 / 00 / 21 | 19.23 / 37.26/ 647.25

Recovery 6K with 6x100m Strides

So glad this one was a short one, it's been a while since I've seen a 6K run on the schedule.
    The warm weather continues, nothing incredibly hot but it's still high 20s day after day. I notice during my commute home, which includes around 40mins of walking, that everything just slows down, no rushing about. Takes effort to get ready to run.

Usual lap of the park. Less runners out this evening, it is Friday I guess.
    Gentle pace and once I start moving I enjoy this relaxed run. Heavy warm air and the crickets are out again. The strides do wake up the legs. I'm reading to much into how the strides feel, trying to get some clues as to how Saturday morning's TT will go. Finish run feeling very warm but legs feel fresher and looser.

Total 6.16K @ 5:30

3.78K @ 5:51
    6x100m (on tablet, too awkward to calculate average stride)
    0.58K @ 5:43

Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100 strides | 6.16K @ 5:30 | N/A
    10K Time Trial | |

63 / 58 / 03 / 00 / 20 | 23.06 / 41.09 / 651.08

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

your recent 14 miler with each mile split starting with a '6' makes good reading. slowly but surely you've come along way. i wouldn't read too much into trying to beat your last10k tt, anything close to that last tt would be good going given the intensity of the plan. imho.

10K TT

Open window this morning to check conditions. Blue skies but we're in the shade so it's hard to tell how hot it is. I spend an hour or so stalling around the house, grab a light breakfast. Drink some water get into gear and head out around 10am. I should have tried to get out earlier but 7 hours of sound sleep is a good trade-off.

I start with a warm-up lap. It doesn't take much to warm up, it's another hot one. the one consolation is a light breeze blowing from the south. At the end of the warm-up I'm already sweating quite a bit and I can hear my pulse in my temple. This is not good. I walk back and forth for around 3 or 4 minutes as I always do for these TTs, getting ready mentally. I'm also trying to decide on a strategy. The heat is going to be a factor, I decide it would be safer to set off at the fast end of tempo pace 3:58 [6:23], see how the system is reacting after 5K and then take it from there. Close on 3 laps of the park. Off we go.

Lap 1

So this where I need to find and settle on a pace. I start with a fluid fast stride and check Garmin after around 200ms or so to see 3:44 [6:00] showing. I'd deliberately started out too quick and could enjoy spending the rest of the first K easing up gently, watching the pace drop on the Garmin. First slightly downhill K logs at 3:54 [6:16]. I decide to keep splits against 3:58 pace, so that's 4 seconds up.

Legs feeling ok. I have a little talk to myself to remind myself about my 3:58 strategy. The average pace has dropped to 3:57 [6:21] and I concentrate on not dropping any further. The heat doesn't seem to be too much of a factor just yet, but it's early days. I'm doing my trick of picking out runners ahead, pretending it's a race and reeling them in. K2 logs at 3:56 [6:20].

There's a park maintenance truck up ahead travelling just a little slower than me. I put in a little surge, go onto the grass and overtake. I can feel the effects of the surge almost immediately but now I have to stay ahead of the truck. I take a left and it thankfully doesn't follow. Average pace is up at 3:54 [6:16] again and K3 logs at 3:53 [6:15]. So much for my cautious start.

Lap 2

I don't know if it was the earlier surge or just the effects of the average pace in general, but suddenly I'm feeling the heat. I realise the lungs are working a little too hard. All the same K4 logs at 3:51 [6:12]. I have around 18 seconds in the bank against 3:58 pace. This helps me relax I know I can ease up a little and try negate the effects of the heat. Consequently K5 comes in slow at 4:01 [6:28]. That's an opening 5K of 19:35.

Seeing a 4:01 split inevitably means I push again on K6. Ok I've gone past 5K ahead of my strategic 3:58 average pace. The heat is definitely becoming more and more of a factor and deep down I know that two consecutive sub 39:00 10Ks is probably not going to happen. I reckon just make sure of the sub 40 and trying to hold currently average pace should take care of that. K6 logs at 3:53 [6:15].

Somewhere around here I lose track of how many K I've run, which would really help later on. At the same spot where I overtook the truck on lap1 I now overtake a cyclist on lap 2. Another surge another effort to stay ahead until I turn left and again happy the cyclist doesn't turn left as well. K7 logs at 4:02 [6:30] the slowest of the day. Average pace is holding steady around 3:55 [6:18]. Just near the end of lap 2 another runner joins me from another path and falls in behind me. At first I think he's going to overtake me but he doesn't. He settles in behind me, I guess from his breathing around 5ms back.

Lap 3 (partial)

I have around 20 seconds up on a 3:58 average 10K so I reckon the sub 40 is in the bank. Legs are tired, lungs are very busy, bit of spitting going on as well. Last lap though. I cannot ease up, I've resolved that this guy is not going to overtake me. My breathing is laboured so I know he knows that I'm working hard, but he's breathing is also becoming more pronounced. I suspect he's using me to try out a pace that he doesn't normally run at. I guess we're both helping each other. K8 logged at 3:52 [6:14], but I was convinced that it was K7.

Near the end of the southbound stretch the breathing from behind has disappeared. I turn north for the final time and just before K9 sounds (at 4:02 [6:29]) the penny drops, I've only got one K to go! I was convinced I had 2K. I'm taking this as a big positive, because it genuinely felt like how I expect to feel after 8K. I immediately attempt to up the effort. But it feels very very difficult, I think the heat is keeping me in check. Feels like cooling system is working at max capacity, I concede defeat to the conditions and abandon an heroic finishing effort (this is the only disappointing aspect of this morning's run). Finish with a slowish final K of 3:58 [6:23].

Final time 39:22.26. Nearly half a minute slower than two weeks ago but given the conditions I think they are fairly comparable results. When I stop and walk about for a while I realise how warm it is, heat is rising off the ground, sun is hot on skin. Heavy heavy air. I stay in the shade for a while.

Overall I'm happy with the morning's work. Just one more of these to go and then the focus will really switch to Cork. Based on these last two TTs I reckon I have a 10K PB in the legs. I'm going to have look at race calendars after this and see if there's anything that suits logistically in two weekend's time.

Looking forward to staying at slow end of LSR pace for tomorrow morning's 17 miler.

Warm-up 3.93K @ 5:35 [2.44M @ 8:59]

K01 3:53.91 [6:16]
    K02 3:56.33 [6:20]
    K03 3:52.86 [6:15]
    K04 3:51.20 [6:12]
    K05 4:01.36 [6:28]
    K06 3:53.03 [6:15]
    K07 4:02.18 [6:30]
    K08 3:52.09 [6:14]
    K09 4:01.56 [6:29]
    K10 3:57.74 [6:23]

Total 39:22.26

Cool-down 1.64K @ 5:21 [1.02M @ 8:37]

10K Time Trial | 39:22.26 @ 3:56 [6:20] | N/A

64 / 59 / 03 / 00 / 19 | 32.72 / 50.75 / 660.74

your recent 14 miler with each mile split starting with a '6' makes good reading. slowly but surely you've come along way. i wouldn't read too much into trying to beat your last10k tt, anything close to that last tt would be good going given the intensity of the plan. imho.

Thanks man. Just seeing this now after posting my 10K TT report. I ran slower but in some ways I'm happier with this time than the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

haha don't worry i'm not stalking you!. didn't even cop that your tt was today !

LSR 17M

I was really surprised at how good the legs felt on Sunday morning. Best they've felt in a long while and not a hint of Saturday's TT.

I had planned on keeping to slower side of target pace but the faster side just felt so comfortable. Explored a bit on this one. A lap and a half of Parco di Trenno. Then head for another nearby park, Parco delle Cave. Really nice here, must visit more often, lots of grit paths ideal for running. Loads of runners and cyclists out. Do two laps of this and then head for another nearby park, Bosco in Citta.

This one is wilder less manicured. Woodland trails. Exit this and run on dirt tracks through rice fields to nearby village Figino. Windy streets with barely a soul about as everyone is inside getting ready for Sunday lunch. All this run is done under warm sunshine. The last 3 or 4 miles I was starting to feel the effects of the heat. Still finished very comfortably. Only cause of concern was a solitary twinge from the knee on mile 11. Disappointed with this, it was almost a full week without a peek from it.

M01 8:38
    M02 8:11
    M03 7:45
    M04 7:51
    M05 7:43
    M06 7:53
    M07 7:49
    M08 7:48
    M09 8:11
    M10 7:54
    M11 8:01
    M12 8:01
    M13 8:02
    M14 8:15
    M15 8:01
    M16 8:03
    M17 8:00

Total 17.09M @ 8:00

10K Time Trial | 39:22.26 @ 3:56 [6:20] | N/A
    LSR 17 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | 17.09M @ 8:00 | N/A

65 / 60 / 03 / 00 / 18 | 49.81 / 67.84 / 677.83

Recovery 11K with 6x100m Strides

Finally a not so warm run. Out after 7:30 this evening. Overcast and a light cool breeze blowing, nice conditions. I was more than happy to tip around at recovery pace.

Park is quiet this evening, mostly just runners out. Kept the pace inside recovery pace. Legs not feeling as good as they did on Sunday's long run. Two laps and then into the strides. Form felt very fluid during these, felt light and like I was just skipping along. Knee was ok. I've been assuming that I won't be wearing the support come race day. Now for the first time I start thinking I might be wearing it in Cork.

Spotted the Saint Annes 10K is on the weekend of my final 10K TT. But it's a Sunday which shoves my 16 miler out to Monday (I've been here before).

8.06K @ 5:52 [5.01 @ 9:27]
    6x100m strides
    1.34K @ 5:47 [0.83M @ 9:19]

Total 11.21K @ 5:42 [6.96M @ 9:10]

P&D55 Week 15 Session Targets|Session Results | Post Run Weight
    Recovery 11K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100 strides | 11.21K @ 5:42 [6.96M @ 9.10] | N/A
    VO2Max 16K with 4x1200m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | |
    Recovery 4 Miles @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    LSR 20 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | |

66 / 61 / 03 / 00 / 17 | 6.96 / 74.80 / 684.79

VO2Max 16K with 4x1200m @ 5K pace

This was a tough one.

Another long day at work. Fairly tired before I even head out. Weather is dreadful in Milan, raining all day and some very very intense showers. I packed a light running jacket not really expecting to have to use it, instead this evening I was happy to throw it on.

Head over to Parco di Trenno. Low heavy dark clouds make it seem later than it actually easy. I see only three or four other runners out, some people walking dogs and that's it, no one else in the Park. A warm up lap to get started and then I run around a small rectangular loop which I reckon could be around 1200m long, it measures instead at 1100m. That's fine, it means when I complete a lap I just have another 100m to push.

Interval 1 in 4:26.94. 3:42 min/km [5:58]
    Start out too eager and need to ease off. Ease off a little too much and need to push over final 400ms or so. Lungs are already working. More difficult than I was expecting. Realise that this is going to be a tough evening's work.
    Nice long lengths on this rectangle makes it easier to hold a steady pace and an even stride. Enjoying the sound of the ST5s splashing through the shallow pools of water.

Interval 2 in 4:25.70. 3:41 min/km [5:56]
    I'm taking 2:30 between intervals and the first rest period flies in. Try guess pace over the first 400ms of the second interval, again go out too fast, ease up. After 600m I'm breathing hard, lungs working more than legs. Knowing where each lap ends is good, gives me something to aim for and helps me manage effort levels a bit. Plus knowing when I've 100m to go is a nice incentive for a final push. Some Park lights coming on. Rain falling all the time.

Interval 3 in 4:25.90. 3:42 min/km [5:57]
    Deluge. I'll remember this session for a while, not least for the ridiculous downpour it was run in. I could not be wetter. Breeze blowing as well. All completed in very very dull lighting. Really have to focus to stay on pace for the last 400, breathing fast.

Interval 4 in 4:24.69. 3:41 min/km [5:55]
    So glad this is the last one. Deluge has passed but it's still raining. I glance at Garmin around 300ms in and see 3:45 [6:02] showing. Can't ease up any more. I'm almost tempted to make this a 3x1200m session. Form is turning sloppy as tiredness kicks in. Last 400ms or so are along one of the straights which helps. I push and somehow manage my quickest interval of the evening.

Really pleased this is completed on target. Wasn't always sure I'd manage target pace. This session tells me my real 5K pace is closer to 3:45 [6:02] than to 3:40 [5:54]. Checking back on last year I was surprised to see I'd run them quicker, but off 3:00 mins recovery, not 2:30.

This little Milan training block was fairly successful. Passed 700 miles on this last session. That's 70 sessions completed now. There remain only 2 more tough sessions, the final 10K TT and a 3x1600m session the week before Cork. Nearly there now.

Warm-up 5.11K @ 5:16 [3.18 @ 8:29]
    4x1200m at average time of 4:25.81 (3:42 min/km [5:56])
    Cool down 4.36K @ 5:36 [2.71M @ 9:01]

Total 16.00K @ 4:57 [9.94M @ 7:57]

Recovery 11K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100 strides | 11.21K @ 5:42 [6.96M @ 9.10] | N/A
    VO2Max 16K with 4x1200m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | 16.00K @ 4:57 [9.94M @ 7:57], average interval 3:42 [5:56] | N/A
    Recovery 4 Miles @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |

67 / 62 / 03 / 00 / 16 | 16.91 / 84.76 / 702.78

• Advertisement

Recovery 4 Miles

So, mrs outforarun has gone and picked up a stress fracture of the fifth metatarsal. :eek:

She doesn't know how!! Friday afternoon I'm working from home while mrs ofar is visiting James and soon to be told that she doesn't have tendinitis as cautiously diagnosed by our GP, but has a broken foot and needs to wear one of those clunky black boots for at least 2 weeks. The doctors and nurses kept asking her if she runs, she doesn't, she does have a good sense of irony though.

So Friday's run is knocked on the head, I collect junior ofar and get her food ready etc.

Saturday morning, I head out for a gentle 4 miler, just over to the playing fields for a sunny lap and then back home. Legs are very heavy, no bother staying at recovery pace.

This was the first outing in a new green and yellow pair of Nimbus 18s. Haven't worn the 18s before. They felt very very cushioned, proof maybe that the retired pair had been used a little too much. It was nice to have this soft cushioning but I realise that I will now almost certainly be wearing the ST5s in Cork. The Nimbus made the feet feel that bit heavier than usual.

Little concerned afterwards when left knee complains a bit during the day.

I was playing through in my head all the reasons why my left knee was been an unhappy passenger during this P&D cycle: I think it might be a mix of different factors:
    • I've been jumbling up the sequence of runs and rest days a little too liberally. Including several weeks of 5 runs in a row then 2 rest days in a row.
    • I've been wearing the ST5s much more often than before.
    • I didn't retire the last pair of Nimbus soon enough.
    • There's been a huge increase of fast left-turning running in my training.
    • The usual transition issues from Mesocycle 1 to Mesocycle 2 are exaggerated with sub 3:00hr training paces.

M01 9:48
    M02 9:23
    M03 9:00
    M04 9:17

Total 4.05M @ 9:20

VO2Max 16K with 4x1200m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | 16.00K @ 4:57 [9.94M @ 7:57], average interval 3:42 [5:56] | N/A
    MLR 11 Miles @ 7:54 to 8:08 | DNS | N/A
    Recovery 4 Miles @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.05M @ 9:20 | 71.00 KG

68 / 63 / 04 / 00 / 14 | 20.96 / 88.81 / 706.83

LSR 20 Miles

More catching up to do here.

Completed final 20 miler of the schedule on Sunday. Got out a little after 8:00. Blue sky and sunshine but a little chilly for starters. I wore the Nimbus again and bring two gels with me. Carry a small (250ml) bottle of water. Headed into the Park at Islandbridge Gate and started lapping anti-clockwise. Legs feeling less heavy than yesterday but not super light. Near the start of the North Road I leave the footpath and join the trails. Been a while. I follow the trail all the way around and down to Knockmaroon Gate. Then through the Furry Glen and back onto the road to complete the loop. Check average pace for the first time, it reads 8:17. Slower than expected, but that's fine.

Warmed up now and the chill is gone from the air. It's turning into an absolutely gorgeous morning for running. Pass overpronator out with Donore as I head up behind the zoo again, looking forward to joining that group later in the summer. Back onto the trails. Enjoying this off road section. Down to the Furry Glen again. This sort of weather is what I dream about when starting out on P&D in mid January.

Round to Islandbridge Gate again, but I turn up toward the Khyber and up the grassy bank to the playing fields. Head for the Phoenix and up the centre of the closed to traffic Chesterfield. Turn down Furze. Then cut across the 15 acres. Loving running across this green expanse in glorious sunshine. I'm keeping an eye on the average pace it's been creeping slowly upwards but eventually settles on 8:06, fine. For once I'm not right at the fast end of target range (although checking splits later show that I was running quite a few consecutive sub 8:00 miles).

I'd taken gels after 12 and after 16 miles. Love the taste of these and always look forward to the next one. They'll be a nice distraction on race day.

Leave by Islandbridge Gate and run down St.John's Road to HSQ and up home.

The weather made this such an enjoyable run. Legs were fine. Not a bother out of the knee. I also felt absolutely fine energy wise for the rest of the afternoon, which included a trip to our allotment and playing with junior outforarun in the IMMA gardens.

M01 9:27
    M02 8:43
    M03 8:22
    M04 8:01
    M05 7:57
    M06 8:01
    M07 7:49
    M08 7:54
    M09 7:55
    M10 7:59
    M11 7:52
    M12 7:58
    M13 7:54
    M14 7:59
    M15 8:04
    M16 7:55
    M17 7:47
    M18 8:08
    M19 8:25
    M20 8:07

Total 20.14M @ 8:07

MLR 11 Miles @ 7:54 to 8:08 | DNS | N/A
    Recovery 4 Miles @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 4.05M @ 9:20 | 71.00 KG
    LSR 20 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | 20.14M @ 8:07 | 69.90 KG

69 / 64 / 04 / 00 / 13 | 41.10 / 108.95 / 726.97

VO2Max 13K with 5x600m @ 5K pace

From a high on Sunday to a bit of a low on Tuesday.

Back in Athlone for the first time in a while. Weather is cool and overcast, threat of rain. I head out in the evening after work. Run my usual warm-up to arrive at AIT. I need to pop over to the Arena to book on the spot. Then I head for the track. The track is raised up from the road and you need to go up around a dozen steps to reach it. I trot up these steps and as I do so - ouch - left knee twinges. Different twinge to the recent one, but sore enough.

I join the track anyway. I'm the only one here tonight. I run a couple of laps in lane 8 and pay attention to the knee. Seems ok. I'll bail if it acts up at speed.

Into the 600s. They go fine really. First 200m of each feel very comfortable, second 200m are into a headwind and don't feel as comfortable, and I only really work over the final 200m.

Knee was a bit sore later in the evening after the run. Had been tempting to head with overpronator to Punchestown on Saturday for a 10K race there. Now I'm not so sure if I should be running a race (or TT) with a delicate knee just 3 weeks out from race day.

2:11.73 @ 3:40 [5:53]
    2:12.13 @ 3:40 [5:54]
    2:11.58 @ 3:39 [5:53]
    2:13.92 @ 3:43 [5:59]
    2:11.48 @ 3:39 [5:53]

Average 2:12.17 @ 3:40 [5:55]

Total 13.12K @ 4:43 [8.15M @ 7:36]

P&D55 Week 16 Session Targets|Session Results | Post Run Weight
    VO2Max 13K with 5x600m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | 13.12K @ 4:43 [8.15M @ 7:36], average 600 in 2:12.17 @ 3:40 [5:55] | N/A
    Recovery 6 Miles @ 9:20 to 10:00 | |
    Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m Strides | |
    10K TT | |
    LSR 16 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | |

70 / 65 / 04 / 00 / 12 | 8.15 / 117.10 / 735.12

Recovery 6 Miles

DNF :(

I'd been concerned about the knee during the day. I knew it wasn't happy after last night's run. Was tempted to postpone today's run but in the end decided to but on the gear and get out.

Start is fine, no reaction over opening 200ms or so. My footfall is tentative though as I'm braced for feedback. But then just after half-a-mile the knee twinges again like last night on the steps. I stop. I start again, but 10m later I abandon the session and walk back to hotel.

Total 0.55M @ 9:16.

I'm not happy. I think this is not exactly the same issue as the recent left knee issue, but obviously this year the left knee is my weak link. I will need to get this looked at. Right now I can only hope that some rest will see it right. Running a 10K race or TT on Saturday would be foolish. And running 1600m intervals next week also doesn't look wise.

I'm going to have to take some days off. Right now I'm thinking I might rest up until Sunday and start out on the 16 mile LSR, see how it feels. Then for the rest of the taper I will just try hit the prescribed distances but won't do anything intense. I might replace the 1600s with a short 3 mile PMP section.

Since mid-March this training block has been run on the edge. All the same until this evening I've managed to hit all my targets and only opted to skip 2 sessions as preventive measures (and that was for shins more than knee). But I've rarely run at 100% confidence since mid-March.

Two moments, the first strides of my cool-down after a sub 40min 10K tempo on a dark mid March evening by the 15 Acres, and now the steps up to the AIT track yesterday evening, look set to become key moments in this cycle. I think I'm in sub 3:10 shape, I think I've done enough. I just got to try nurse the body to the start line and hope I don't lose too much sharpness between now and race-day.

P&D55 Week 16 Session Targets|Session Results | Post Run Weight
    VO2Max 13K with 5x600m @ 3:40 to 3:45 | 13.12K @ 4:43 [8.15M @ 7:36], average 600 in 2:12.17 @ 3:40 [5:55] | N/A
    Recovery 6 Miles @ 9:20 to 10:00 | 0.55M @ 9:16 | N/A
    Recovery 6K @ 5:48 to 6:13 with 6x100m Strides | |
    10K TT | |
    LSR 16 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | |

70 / 65 / 04 / 01 / 11 | 8.70 / 117.65 / 735.67

Make sure you hit the startline. Are you going to go to a physio or just rest??

Make sure you hit the startline. Are you going to go to a physio or just rest??

Both. I've next Friday off so I've a physio booked.
    In the meantime I'm resting up. May not run this weekend.

I listed a few reasons why I think the knee may be giving me problems in a previous post. One obvious reason I left out is my lack of stretching/rolling etc. I may have gotten away with this on previous cycles, but now that the targets are getting higher ......

I'll be heading out for my first run in 10 days tomorrow (Sunday) morning. I really hope it goes ok.

Saw physio Friday morning and the news is good. He twisted my knees in all sorts of directions. Said there is no evidence of cartilage tear. Tested my ligaments said they're fine. Ruled out tendonitis as well. He believes I have some minor cartilage irritation due to overuse, coinciding with increased training intensity. He said he can detect nothing that should stop me from running Monday week and gives me the green flag to proceed. Though he did add that I may still experience pain from the knee during the race.

He also did some dry needling from the knee up along the left IT band and quad. The IT band was fine but the needling on the quad had me sweating. I've been prescribed strengthening exercises for quads and glutes. The goal being to build up strength to improve stability. I was wobbling a lot during single leg squats.

So I leave the physio mostly happy. But I'm still nervous ahead of tomorrow's run. I'll be very apprehensive, waiting for more negative feedback. Will take it easy and try stay relaxed and loose during run. Fingers crossed.

Have to watch my diet now as well. Have definitely increased weight after these 10 running free days.

Touch wood - back in business :)

On the road a little after 7:30 this morning down in Cork. Lovely morning, hazy sunshine, went a bit overcast at one point but sun started burning through again in second half of run. I forgot to pack knee support so this would be a proper test for the knee. Started run outside the Lancaster Lodge on the Western Road and headed west. I was expecting some initial feedback, it had been 10 days without running afterall. Running down the Mardyke and so far so good. Bring up a mile and still all fine. I'm taking it easy,not really watching the Garmin on this one, not trying to target any time just keep it comfortable and ease into it.

Out along the Carrigrohane Road passing the 24 mile and then the 23 mile markers. Still all good. Start to daydream a little and forget about the knee.
    Cross over the Lee by the Angler's Rest and turn right onto the Lee Road. This brings up the first ascent of the run, a steep 300 metres or so. Nothing from the knee. Soon after the first downhill, again nothing.

I'm starting to feel good about the run and the sun is back out. I like this stretch of road and early on a Sunday morning I have it mostly to myself. Arrive back near the Mardyke but I don't cross back Southside, instead I continue through Sunday's Well, covering a few more steep ascents and descents without incident. I rejoin the river and run the second half of mile 25, up to the 26 mile marker and over Patrick's Bridge. Head round by the South Mall and complete the loop back to Lancaster Lodge.

Really really pleased with this. The knee was fine the whole way round. Will start the prescribed exercises during the week and will keep the running easy, though I will try the P&D rehearsal session with it's 3K of PMP.

I don't think I need to adjust my sub 3:10 target, which I guess is testament to my confidence this year. I do think I've done enough to merit an attempt at sub 3:10, I may have lost a bit of an edge over the last 10 days, on the other hand maybe the rest will work to my advantage. Fingers crossed the knee will continue to behave for the rest of the week.

M01 8:45
    M02 8:34
    M03 8:26
    M04 8:20
    M05 8:21
    M06 7:59
    M07 8:04
    M08 8:14
    M09 8:02
    M10 7:57

Total 10.17M @ 8:16

Easy 4 Miles

Not really going to return to P&D for this last week. Instead it'll be mostly short easy runs. No strides.

Today's lunchtime run was the hottest run of the year so far (in Ireland). Gorgeous weather for some easy paced miles. I'm wearing the Nimbus this week as well. They feel heavy and my hope is that the ST5s on race day will feel even lighter coming off a week of Nimbus running.

This was my usual lunchtime loop of the Playing Fields. Returning up the steep hill out of Islandbridge I get a little reminder that I'm not completely out of the woods yet; slight twinge from left knee. Thankfully it lasts for only 3 or 4 seconds, but it puts a dampener on the run.

M01 8:59
    M02 8:52
    M03 8:20
    M04 8:41

Total 4.03M @ 8:38

WTD 4.03 MTD 131.85 YTD 749.87

• Advertisement

Easy 5+ Miles

Gorgeous evening in the Midlands. Got out of office late so it was nearly 8:00 before I started running and it was still warm. I'm apprehensive ahead of this one, mostly due to the 3 or 4 seconds of twinging from Monday's run. I'm waiting for the knee to give some serious feedback, like two Wednesday's ago.

The first 2 miles go fine. Legs feel as good as they have in a long time. Even the Nimbus feel light. Into some ascents and descents during mile 3, and on one descent I can feel a hint of a twinge from the knee. The twinge isn't painful, it's the anticipation of a sudden, run halting dart of pain that has me unsettled.

I pop into AIT to do a little bit of grass running. Again a little twinge when leaving AIT. Hint of a twinge later this evening as well.

I'm going to start Monday in the knowledge that at any moment the knee could start protesting and bring my race to a halt. Not the ideal frame of mind to have on the start line.

Tomorrow I'll run P&D's dress rehearsal session, this will include 3K of sub 3 hour pace. Fingers crossed.

M01 8:32
    M02 8:22
    M03 8:19
    M04 8:14
    M05 8:04

Total 5.51M @ 8:18

WTD 4.54 MTD 132.46 YTD 755.38

Advertisement