Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Devils advocate here......why risk sub 3 pace for that last session? Cruise along at 3.09 pace, could be a nice little confidence booster too?

Not trying to mess with your head in the lead up to race week so please feel very free to ignore me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Dress Rehearsal 12K with 3K @ PMP

:)

Another absolutely cracking evening for a run. How long will this last?
    I set out on this one having decided to follow overpronator's wise suggestion above. Tip around at 4:28 [7:11] instead of 4:15 [6:50] for the PMP bit.

Start by heading into town. Nimbus feel light, legs feel good. My goal for the first section is to run easy, but I leave myself freedom to pick up the pace a little as long as I feel comfortable. In a way I feel more relaxed running slightly faster than easy pace, it's as if I'm not giving the knee the time or opportunity to protest. I'm waiting for some feedback, but none is coming and my confidence grows a little. Cross the Shannon and run along the short dirt-track loop near the railway bridge. Then back over the Shannon again, round by the station and then back onto the Old Dublin Road. I switch into PMP at the start of this stretch.

I genuinely planned on 4:28 [7:11] pace. The first 400ms or so the Garmin shows 4:17 [6:53]. Ok let's ease up. And I do ease up: 4:17 becomes 4:19 [6:56], becomes 4:20 [6:58], becomes 4:21 [7:00]. Over a kilometre in and I still need to ease up. But I lose concentration and the pace picks up again. I seem to be settling around 4:19 [6:56]. Then I think ok, lets just go with that, a kind of compromise between my original sub 3:00hr target and overpronator's wiser sub 3:10hr target. Fine. Knee feels grand.

With around 800ms to go I divert into the IDA park for a short loop in their. I can tell that the pace has picked up a little more. I check and I'm back to 4:17 [6:53] again. Ah go on then! I push a little over last 500ms or so and see the final average come in at 4:14 [6:50]. Risky.

The knee was completely fine for the entire run. Happy days. I'm a little more optimistic now. I do think the knee preferred this lively run ahead of some of the slower easy and recovery pace runs.

Sub 3:00hr pace felt good. I was breathing a little near the end as the average pace pushed up. Big confidence boost: I reckon 4:28 [7:11] is going to feel terribly slow for the opening kilometres on Monday; good.

Mentally I needed a run like this evening's. I've two more easy runs planned before raceday, hopefully they'll pass without incident.

8.56K @ 4:53 [5.32M @ 7:51]
    3.02K @ 4:14 [1.88M @ 6:50]
    0.85K @ 4:40 [0.53M @ 7:30]

Total 12.43K @ 4:43 [7.72M @ 7:35]

WTD 12.26 MTD 12.26 YTD 763.10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

outforarun wrote: »

Sub 3:00hr pace felt good. I was breathing a little near the end as the average pace pushed up. Big confidence boost: I reckon 4:28 [7:11] is going to feel terribly slow for the opening kilometres on Monday; good.

It deffo will feel slow to you, you're in great shape....don't let that feeling trick you though ! Best of luck Monday, great to see the knee is behaving

Duanington wrote: »
    It deffo will feel slow to you, you're in great shape....don't let that feeling trick you though ! Best of luck Monday, great to see the knee is behaving

Thanks man. I'm trying to convince myself that the recent 10 day stretch without running will work in my favour. Knee seems to be improving alright. Trip to physio was worthwhile even just to give me some peace of mind and to know that ligaments and tendons are fine.

Easy 5+ Miles

For the first time in a long time my knee is not my chief cause of concern, instead the humidity has me worried. I headed out Saturday morning for 5 easy miles. I ran into town to pick up some fish and veg. Normally when I do this run there is barely a bead of sweat when I'm doing the shopping, this morning instead I'm hot and very sweaty, trying to keep my distance from other shoppers. Head home along the canal and bits of the SCR.

If the conditions are like this Monday morning it'll be a massacre down in Cork. I'd take clear blue skys and hot sunshine ahead of this heavy muggy humidity. These are my least favourite running conditions.

Legs were fine. Two consecutive runs without protest from the knee. Easy pace also included a sub 8:00 mile.

M01 8:47
    M02 8:13
    M03 8:14
    M04 8:02
    M05 7:46

5.44M @ 8:11

WTD 17.70 MTD 17:70 YTD 768.54

• Advertisement

Easy 4 Miles

Meant to say, I got on the scales after yesterday's run. I feared the worst but was pleasantly surprised to see 69.50 showing.

Last run this afternoon and it was another hot and humid affair. In Cork and ran from Hazelwood to the Vienna Woods and back. Unless we get storms tonight or in the morning, tomorrow's race could turn ugly. It will not be an easy day to hit target times.

This was my third run in a row without any hassle from the knee. Fingers crossed tomorrow will be the fourth. Again today I didn't bother with checking pace on the Garmin and just ran at what ever felt easy. Splits however were much faster than what I thought they were. Covered in sweat at the end.

Registered earlier today and picked up my number. Kay & Joe the 80 year-old couple that ran Cork together back in '86 were in front of me in the queue. Tomorrow will be their last marathon and they're aiming to cross the line together. Brilliant stuff, they will get such support tomorrow.

Very few stalls open in City Hall today. Just one box of PowerBar Gels!!!!. I pick up 6 but they don't have caffeine. Pick up ones with caffeine at nearby Edge Sports (I wasn't the only one buying gels there, usually there are stacks of gels in City Hall). Blackcurrant flavour, which I haven't tried before so I took one ahead of today's run, tasty and no ill effects. Top this year looks really good I think, very Arsenal, St.Pats, old Cork City.

Anyway. All done now. Out for some rice shortly. Humidity and knee are the two concerns ahead of this one. To be honest I'm just thrilled that I can get to the start line, less than three weeks I wasn't entirely sure that that would happen.

M01 8:16
    M02 7:50
    M03 7:38
    M04 7:28

Total 4.03M @ 7:48

WTD 21.73 MTD 21:73 YTD 772.57

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Very best of luck. The training has been fantastic. Give it socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Hey, the stars might not be lining up but it would be brilliant if you could somehow eek out a 3:09:59 good luck.

Ran myself into a wheelchair in 3:13:43 (unofficial).

Horrible, horrible, horrible humidity. Last 5K a bit of a slog (but I've had worse). Crossed the finishing line feeling ok. Then about 5 mins later, difficulty breathing and dizziness and tingles/numbness in arms. Spent 15 mins in first aid tent very much thinking never never again. Then both legs started cramping like crazy. I never cramp! Wheelchair to physio for another 20 mins or so. Feeling better now after lukewarm bath. I never want to run in those conditions again. It was getting hotter and more humid as the morning progressed.

Huge thank you to the first aid guys and physios (and to the guy who offered up his place in the queue so I could get to physio first).

Happy with silver given the conditions. But may have to reassess running Cork, might need to switch to a cooler race.

Full report later in the week.

In those conditions thats alot better than sub 3:10. Never mind the heat, the humidity just saps the life out of you. Really well done. Delighted for ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done. That's a great run in those conditions. Sounds like you left nothing out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done, great time in those conditions. Mind yourself over next few days.

Silver 3:13:43 :)

The Aftermath

Despite setting a new PB, and a decent one given the very hot and humid conditions, my lasting memory of this race will be one of the inside of a first aid tent.

I crossed the line feeling as well as I could feel having toughed out the closing miles of a tough marathon. I guess I must have still been operating on adrenaline, because around 5 minutes later I sat down on the road side, poured some water over my head and started to feel unwell. I started to have difficulty breathing and could feel a tingling from my stomach spreading up through my chest and lungs and arms. I managed to stand-up and headed for the first aid tent where I told them how I was feeling. I spent the next 15 minutes on a stretcher, legs elevated, supping on water and being fed a banana (I couldn’t peel it myself), while they monitored my blood pressure and while I slowly managed to resume breathing normally. I was expecting an oxygen mask to arrive but none did.

In the meantime I had a nice distraction from my lungs as both legs started cramping like crazy. I cannot remember ever getting one cramp in the last 6 years of running, now I was making up for it. I could hear the first aid staff saying I needed physio, that seemed to be their main concern and I was happy to hear that because they didn’t seem overly concerned about my breathing.

A packet of salty Taytos was opened for me, I still didn’t have all the feeling back in my arms and hands. Next I manage to get from the stretcher into a wheelchair and was pushed to the physio tent. A half-marathoner waved me ahead of him so I could get seen to first. About 20 minutes of physio later from a really nice physio (best of luck with the new arrival) and I managed to exit the tent on my own two feet. Was still feeling a bit anxious about my breathing, but it was now back under complete control. I was probably still just in a bit of shock. Mangaged to find my friends again. Had a laugh, and a coke and had company for the walk back to hotel.

The Race

A little over three hours earlier I was on the start line, with only the sub 3:00 balloons ahead of me. Target pace range was 4:27 [7:10] to 4:29 [7:12] for a sub 3:10 marathon. We were off with minimum fuss.

01-05K in 22:12
    Overall average pace 4:26 [7:09] estimated finish time 3:07:24

Little bit of weaving to start with and I have to fight for my line through the first corner onto the Grand Parade. Keep an eye more on the sub 3:00 balloons up ahead rather than the pace on the Garmin.

When the first K logs at 4:13 [6:46] I immediately start to ease up, but I’m happy, it didn’t feel like sub 3:00 pace, I don’t feel like I’m travelling fast, I feel very very comfortable. I get the tiniest bit of feedback from the left knee as I head along Lavitt’s Quay and try to ignore it. It passes after 100ms and I don’t hear any further protest from the knee for the rest of the morning.

The field is already starting to thin out as we swing north towards Blackpool. I’m still travelling too fast but the average pace is heading in the right direction, it’s now showing at 4:23 [7:04] and dropping. Get my first shout out from a mate in Blackpool. And before I know it we’ve already covered 5K. A little too fast but I’m feeling comfortable and I’m gradually slowing down.

06-10K in 22:36
    Overall average pace 4:29 [7:13] estimated finish time 3:09:04

We leave the City Centre spectators behind and start to head out of town along the docks. I take my first gel after 6K. Pass one runner who looks like his race may already be over, he’s kicks a bottle in frustration as he walks along the footpath. Makes me think about my knee and I’m happy that all is fine.

I can’t say at this point that I’m thinking the heat is a factor. There is a gentle breeze blowing against us so this is probably helping. I concentrate on trying to follow a decent racing line. As we approach the skew bridge I notice the usual 5 mile clock isn’t there this year. We head down toward the first relay change over. I’m travelling at the fast end of target pace 4:27 [7:10]. I tell myself it’s ok to ease up a little further. Start chatting with another runner here. He complains about how hot it is. Again I don’t feel the heat is an issue. This guy ran 3:12 in London. We chat along the dual carriage-way and I notice the pace drops now to 4:29 [7:13]. I’m not concerned, better to be travelling slow end of target pace.

11-15K in 22:17
    Overall average pace 4:28 [7:12] estimated finish time 3:08:44

We stop chatting as we head up the first proper incline of the morning, exiting the Dunkettle Roundabout. I remember cheerfully thinking ‘less than 20 miles to go’ as we pass the 7 mile marker and head down into the tunnel. I take my second gel here and then ignore the Garmin for a while as we lose reception.

I’m feeling good. Cars sounding their horns in support as we climb out of the tunnel and back into the daylight. The sun is starting to burn through some of the haze now and for the first time this morning I start to notice that it is warm. I pull ahead of my companion of the last few kilometres as I work my way past a group of 4 marathoners, who seem to be struggling a little. I thought my companion would come with me, but he didn’t and soon I’m on my own with around 100ms of empty road ahead.

I gradually pull up to and overtake another 2 runners as we head up the slip road off the South Ring Road. I take a bottle from the water station here. Realise it has no top. I drink a little of it but the majority goes over my head onto my back, nice and refreshing. It is warm. I pass the 9 mile marker on a slight incline and for the first time today I can feel the effort. Nothing terribly difficult but enough to make me a little concerned about how the day could turn out. It’s best not to think ahead too far, especially when running up an incline. Average pace is bang on target at 4:28 [7:12].

16-20K in 22:07
    Overall average pace 4:28 [7:11] estimated finish time 3:08:12

“Ooooh, yes sir, I can boogie. But I need a certain song. I can boogie, boogie-boogie, all night long”

Legs pick up the rhythm to the roadside music as we turn onto the Skehard Road. Brings a real bounce to my step and now the road is heading slightly downhill. Legs feel good. Kilometre 16 is a fast one at 4:18 [6:56] pace. Pass the 10 mile clock in 1:12:XX.

I high-five some kids. Pull up to another runner around here and we run side by side for a little. We compare notes for around 200ms and then I wish him luck and pull ahead. I go through the second relay handover spot and see average pace has increased again, up to 4:27 [7:10]. Tell myself to be careful still a long long way to go. It’s hot now. I finish my bottle of water while taking my third gel.

The next water station is at the turn by Blackrock Castle. I shout ahead asking “One with a top?”. No bother, one of the volunteers finds one and a seamless handover follows. Thanks. Legs continue to feel really good as I head out along the Estuary walkway. A little breeze helps cool things down for a while. I pull pass two other marathoners here. I still see 4:27 [7:10] showing and I make an effort to slow up just a little. This 5K block was my fastest so far.

21-25K in 22:23
    Overall average pace 4:28 [7:11] estimated finish time 3:08:20

I see the halfway clock change from 1:34:59 to 1:35:00 as I pass over the marker. Absolutely spot-on target time at the halfway point, actually probably a little ahead of target as the clock shows gun time.

Up over the footbridge and down the other side, was a little concerned here that the steep incline and decline would trigger some feedback from the knee, but it was fine. Down along the old rail line now. I overtake another one or two marathon runners here and I do wonder am I going too fast.

Around 10ms ahead I notice a Clonakility AC runner who seems to be running at my pace and looks fairly strong and comfortable. I pull up to his shoulder as we turn onto the Marina. We get a shout from the roadside, telling us “great running, work together”. I pull level with him and we silently run side by side for 100ms or so. Then he seems to push and so I drop in behind him for a while, letting him lead the way. I grab a sponge from the water station and carry it with me. K24 was another quick one at 4:21 [7:00]. We leave the river and start to head down Central Park Road and here I push a little and overtake. I thought he’d stay with me and that we’d swap places for a while longer, but I didn’t see him again.

26-30K in 21:53
    Overall average pace 4:27 [7:10] estimated finish time 3:07:43

I’m happy to return to the city and to the support around Albert Road. Get my name shouted out a few times (I opted to have it printed on my number). I’m aware that I’m travelling well, and the pace is strong and that I probably look quite comfortable. My sister and her boyfriend give me a shout out around here. But despite what the Garmin might be showing and despite how comfortable I might look I can detect an ominous rise in the effort levels. I do start to wonder for how much longer I will be able to keep this pace going.

I ease past another 2 or 3 marathon runners as I head down the South Link Road. I turn up the steep exit and into Turners Cross. This kilometre, K29, is another fast one logging at 4:14 [6:49] pace. I didn’t notice the split at the time, if I had I would have eased off a little. I’m happy to see the 30K marker arrive. Just 10K and a ‘bit’ to go. The average pace is still showing at 4:27 [7:10], but the way the legs feel and the way the effort is changing, I know that this won’t last. We still haven’t hit the 20 mile mark. I take my second last gel and brace myself for the miles ahead. This was my fastest 5K block of the race, maybe not the best moment to have thrown out some fast kilometres.

31-35K in 22:47
    Overall average pace 4:28 [7:11] estimated finish time 3:08:21

Great support around the Lough. Effort continues to rise but the average pace continues to hold steady at 4:27 [7:10]. But I never really believe I’ll be able to hold it. Any climb is hurting now and any descent is so welcome. The heat is becoming more and more of a factor as well. I can feel the heat rising from the road, the air is heavy, the sun hot on my head. I’m sweating a lot. I glance at the Garmin waiting for it to show 4:28, and ready for that to signal the beginning of the end.

A final respite as we descend down the Wilton Road and then we turn up onto the Model Farm Road. The incline doesn’t kill me, but the effort levels rise again and I know that to push now would ensure a very nasty finish. I just have to try manage the decline in pace and the rise in effort as best I can. I’m still overtaking some other runners but this point last year I was growing in optimism, this year the opposite. And then the average pace shows at 4:28 [7:11].

36-40K in 24:28
    Overall average pace 4:31 [7:16] estimated finish time 3:10:37

Through the 22 mile marker and 4+ miles seems so very far to go. I try tell myself that it’s just like yesterday’s easy run not very far at all, but I fail to convince myself. I’m thrilled to run downhill to the Orchards but I cannot maintain much of the extra momentum into the flat section that follows. Take my final gel. I’m surprised to see the average pace still showing at 4:28 [7:12] but I can’t fight the decline.

I’ve done really well to still be on target so late in the race. But we turn onto the Carrigrohane Road it reads 4:29 [7:12] and I stop looking at the Garmin. Head down, see the 23 mile marker pass under my feet. Ahead of me there’s an Eagle AC runner that I’m slowly slowly dragging in. Legs are sore, calves in particular. Things are switching to slow motion. It takes forever for the 24 mile marker to arrive. Pass the County Hall and turn over the bridge for the Mardyke. I pull alongside the Eagle AC runner and then pull ahead of him. A relay runner (who is struggling, stop-starting) tells us to stick with it that we’re nearly there. I try to distract myself mentally and try take in as much roadside detail that I can, anything to take my mind off how the legs and engine feel. Eventually pass the 40K marker and onto the longest 2K of the year so far.

41K to Finish in 13:00
    Overall average pace 4:33 [7:20] finish time 3:13:43

I haven’t a clue what pace I’m travelling at. All I know is that I’m travelling as fast as I can. I know that I will still pocket silver as long as the 3:15 balloons don’t come past. I pass some more runners along the riverside walkway. A band is playing some very slow music as we exit onto the quays, I instead badly need another shot of “Yes sir, I can boogie…”.

We cross the river sooner this year, which mentally helps. Nearly nearly there. A guy in a red and white singlet I passed on the Carrigrohane Road has found a late lease of life and robs a position from me here. Then Eagle AC overtakes me. A shout out from a friend at the roadside as we finally turn onto Patrick’s Street. I’m wrecked and cannot summon any sense of elation for this final dash. I hear the announcer calling people home in 3:13. I up the pace a little see the clock up ahead and know that a 3:13:XX is secure. Really glad to cross the line.

I’m happy with the time given the conditions. I collect my medal. Shake hands with the red and white singlet guy. And then look out for friends waiting my the finish line. I feel wrecked and I feel like I might get sick. Instinct tells me to head close to the first aid tents before sitting down ......

And Now

Since Monday I’ve decided that this will be the last Cork marathon that I will race. I’m sad about this but I really do not want to risk running in those conditions again. I will switch instead to running DCM and I will probably look to running the Half in Cork.

I also don’t want to push on immediately for a sub 3:00 attempt. I finished in position 68 of 1110 finishers and last year the runner finishing in 68 came home in 3:08. This tells me that my sub 3:10 goal was realistic and attainable under different condtions. But all the same I want to run sub 3:10 before trying for sub 3:00. Definitely the experience from Monday has made me more cautious about marathon distance.

Anyway I’m happy with 3:13. It is a Boston and London qualifying time. And I’m happy with my first top 100 finish in CCM. It’s the highest I’ve finished in a marathon field, top 7%.

Enjoying a week off now and plan is for 3 weeks of easy running from next Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

You have a real gift for writing - that's a superbly written report.

Its also superb running, not easy conditions and you managed the 'fade' fairly well. No doubt there are exceptional things on the running front as well.
    I've cramped bad after my last 2 marathons - its terrible and actually fills me with dread even thinking about finishing one.

great report. don't know what you think, but might be a bit early to decide whether you go for sub 3:10 or sub 3:00 next time. you might learn more froma few mins over a sub 3 attempt than a few mins under a sub 3:10. but early days.
    in the meantime you have the miles in the legs .....with a bit of speed work (if knee behaves) a few pbs in 5k and 10k can be hoped for?;) a sub 18 5k sounds like a good un.
    well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done on a really strong performance OFAR - lots of tough days at the office down there it seems and you fought hard to get your result.

Can completely sympathise with the crampy legs - I've had to lie on my back with the elevated leg thing for a bit after my last 2 marathons....that pain :eek:

There's obviously more to come from you but now is the time to recover well...those targets will reveal themselves as you ramp things back up over the next while.

Enjoy the recovery - well done again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Well done OFAR congrats on PB on a tough day, and great report as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Well done on the race and the time. How do you remember so much about the race, I can hardly remember anything from a 5k never mind anything longer

You have a real gift for writing - that's a superbly written report.

Its also superb running, not easy conditions and you managed the 'fade' fairly well. No doubt there are exceptional things on the running front as well.
    I've cramped bad after my last 2 marathons - its terrible and actually fills me with dread even thinking about finishing one.

Thanks man. Yeah reading a lot of comments afterwards and the humidity was definitely a factor. I like to think that in 'normal' conditions I would have been around 4 mins faster and picked up gold.

To be honest I could live with the cramping, unpleasant and all that it is. The thing I was most worried about was the breathing and numbness in the arms.

I'm due to run DCM with two mates this year, to help pace them around for a sub 4. So this will be a nice opportunity to get back on the marathon horse and to get a feel for what the conditions are like for an end of October marathon.

great report. don't know what you think, but might be a bit early to decide whether you go for sub 3:10 or sub 3:00 next time. you might learn more froma few mins over a sub 3 attempt than a few mins under a sub 3:10. but early days.
    in the meantime you have the miles in the legs .....with a bit of speed work (if knee behaves) a few pbs in 5k and 10k can be hoped for?;) a sub 18 5k sounds like a good un.
    well done

Thanks. I've never been in a hurry to hit new marathon times, and I don't expect that to change. I'm happy to chip away marathon by marathon. Right now, and subject to change, the long term plan would be to join Donore in the next month or two and try join them on their Sunday 16 milers, at least every second week and build up strength in the legs through to 2017. Then aim to complete DCM17 feeling comfortable, strong, in control, in under 3:10. Then start focusing on a sub 3:00 shot in DCM18. Like I say I'm not in a hurry.

With 18 months to go before I race another marathon, I will have ample opportunity to improve PBs over shorter distances.

• Advertisement

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done on a really strong performance OFAR - lots of tough days at the office down there it seems and you fought hard to get your result.

Can completely sympathise with the crampy legs - I've had to lie on my back with the elevated leg thing for a bit after my last 2 marathons....that pain :eek:

There's obviously more to come from you but now is the time to recover well...those targets will reveal themselves as you ramp things back up over the next while.

Enjoy the recovery - well done again

Thanks. In retrospect I think maybe I should have tailored my goal on the day, given the conditions. Even though I only felt the conditions becoming a problem after around 8 miles or so, maybe I should have dropped pace and aimed for a 3:14:59. Might have managed the last 6 miles better that way and consequently might have avoided a trip to first aid afterward.

Enjoying the recovery and enjoying the Euros without having to fit the games in around a training plan. From next week though I'll start posting up my plans for the week, just to keep me someway honest.

Kennyg71 wrote: »
    Well done OFAR congrats on PB on a tough day, and great report as usual.

Thanks. Focusing more on the PB now than I did in the immediate aftermath of the race. Shine was taken off it because of the body's post race reaction. Over a week on and now I realise that a 5 minute PB, on a day that was definitely not set-up for PBs, is something to be happy about.

Well done on the race and the time. How do you remember so much about the race, I can hardly remember anything from a 5k never mind anything longer

Thanks man. I think when you know the course quite well it's easier to recall individual stretches of the course. And I guess I just have a good ability of associating that stretch with the key thoughts that occurred to me while running it. (I keep a diary as well, have done for 20 odd years now, so I suppose that also trains the mind to remember daily events).

Easy 4 Miles

Monday lunchtime I laced up for the first time since Cork. I was a little concerned, not about the legs, but about the lungs. Didn't want any breathing issues to emerge.

The conditions were perfect: cool breeze and light rain. I'm not checking the Garmin, I'm not targeting recovery pace, I'm just running easy. In fact I think in future I'll speed up my recovery pace, I have a feeling that running at 9:20 or slower was forcing an unnatural stride. Might allow myself speed up to 9:00 pace see if that feels more natural.

A lap of the playing fields enjoying the rain on my face. The legs are fine: groin, hips, glutes, knees, achilles, all happy. And lungs are fine too.

M01 8:56 (800 miles for the year)
    M02 8:20
    M03 8:12
    M04 8:30

Total 4.04M @ 8:31

WTD 4.04M MTD 53.18M YTD 803.05M

Easy 4+ Miles

Wednesday evening and back in Athlone for this one. Still keeping the runs short and easy. I'll up the distance a bit at the weekend and try at least get a lap of the park in.

Just ran one lap of my usual Cartrontroy loop. Legs felt fine. They're recovering very well after Cork. The day after the race the calves were still sore and stiff, I was still struggling on stairs for 2 further days, but come last Friday they felt back to normal and my two runs since then gave no hints that I'd just recently run a tough marathon.

M01 8:37
    M02 8:24
    M03 8:19
    M04 8:10

Total 4.25M @ 8:23

WTD 8.29M MTD 57.43M YTD 807.30M

Here's how the marathon played out on the Garmin. The 'Estimated Finish Time' is based on a perfect running line. It was looking particularly good from K27 to K34, but of course the Garmin wasn't measuring effort :(

KM | Split Pace | Cumulative Pace | Estimated Finish Time
    01 | 4:13 [6:46] | 4:13 [6:46] | 2:57:34
    02 | 4:25 [7:06] | 4:19 [6:56] | 3:01:58
    03 | 4:33 [7:19] | 4:23 [7:04] | 3:05:15
    04 | 4:31 [7:17] | 4:25 [7:07] | 3:06:38
    05 | 4:31 [7:16] | 4:26 [7:09] | 3:07:24
    06 | 4:25 [7:06] | 4:26 [7:08] | 3:07:11
    07 | 4:33 [7:19] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:49
    08 | 4:27 [7:09] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:47
    09 | 4:28 [7:11] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:49
    10 | 4:45 [7:38] | 4:29 [7:13] | 3:09:04
    11 | 4:34 [7:21] | 4:29 [7:13] | 3:09:23
    12 | 0:00 [0:00] | 0:00 [0:00] | Tunnel
    13 | 0:00 [0:00] | 0:00 [0:00] | Tunnel
    14 | 4:30 [7:14] | 4:29 [7:12] | 3:08:50
    15 | 4:26 [7:09] | 4:28 [7:12] | 3:08:44
    16 | 4:18 [6:56] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:18
    17 | 4:25 [7:06] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:11
    18 | 4:24 [7:06] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:08:03
    19 | 4:28 [7:12] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:08:05
    20 | 4:31 [7:16] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:12
    21 | 4:29 [7:14] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:16
    22 | 4:36 [7:25] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:32
    23 | 4:26 [7:07] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:28
    24 | 4:21 [7:00] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:15
    25 | 4:30 [7:15] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:20
    26 | 4:24 [7:04] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:13
    27 | 4:20 [6:59] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:08:02
    28 | 4:25 [7:07] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:59
    29 | 4:14 [6:49] | 4:27 [7:09] | 3:07:39
    30 | 4:29 [7:13] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:43
    31 | 4:37 [7:26] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:57
    32 | 4:30 [7:15] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:08:01
    33 | 4:21 [7:00] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:07:52
    34 | 4:35 [7:23] | 4:27 [7:10] | 3:08:02
    35 | 4:43 [7:36] | 4:28 [7:11] | 3:08:21
    36 | 4:41 [7:31] | 4:28 [7:12] | 3:08:36
    37 | 4:43 [7:36] | 4:29 [7:12] | 3:08:53
    38 | 4:59 [8:01] | 4:29 [7:14] | 3:09:27
    39 | 5:04 [8:09] | 4:30 [7:15] | 3:10:04
    40 | 5:01 [8:05] | 4:31 [7:16] | 3:10:37
    41 | 5:06 [8:12] | 4:32 [7:18] | 3:11:13
    42 | 5:13 [8:24] | 4:33 [7:19] | 3:11:54
    42.54 | 4:57 [7:58] | 4:33 [7:20] | 3:12:08

5 Miles Comfortable

Enjoying running off plan at the moment. Put rucksack on back and headed into town through the Liberties. Stopped for some groceries, filled up rucksack, and then headed back out of town along Cork Street and the Coombe, onto Saint Jame's Walk and back to Kilmainham. Allowed the legs to go a little faster today and it felt very comfortable. Stepped on the scales afterwards as well and happy to see 70.80 Kg showing

M01 7:47
    M02 7:26
    M03 8:32
    M04 7:57
    M05 8:13

Total 5.00M @ 7:59

WTD 13.29M MTD 62.43M YTD 812.30M

7+ Miles Comfortable

Headed out late morning for this one. Plan was a lap of the Park, goal was just to keep it comfortable. Light rain falling and conditions were humid and clammy. Not too many others out this morning. I stick to my usual lap of the park route: in at Islandbridge Gate and lap anti-clockwise. Enjoying the rain and seeking out puddles to run through just to get that fresh splash of water on the calves.

The legs felt really good and I allowed the pace to pick up naturally, always feeling very comfortable and natural though. Really lush and heavy on the approach to the S-bends, meadow either side of the road very overgrown at the moment. Back where I started after exactly 1 hour of running. Enjoyed this one. Weigh-in afterwards at 70.20 Kg.

M01 9:11
    M02 8:13
    M03 7:54
    M04 7:45
    M05 7:16
    M06 7:21
    M07 7:20

Total 7.67M @ 7:50

WTD 20.96M MTD 70.10M YTD 819.97M

Catch-up

Ok been away from here for a while. I've been busy at work and been following as much of the football as possible.

Last week was my last of three weeks of marathon recovery. This week instead I stop looking back at CCM16 and start to focus on the next race, Fingal 10K at the end of July.

The goal for this one is pretty simple - I want a new 10K PB. I'd be happy for now even with a 1 second improvement. The aim is to try get back to the 10K shape I was in during the first of my 10K TTs before Cork. I very nearly ran a PB in that TT, so if I can get back to that form than I reckon I'd have a realistic shot at PBing.

I need to sign up to Blessington 10K as well and there I'll aim for a more significant PB.

I don't have a lot of time before Fingal and I haven't drafted out a plan yet. I'll do that over the weekend. This Saturday I'll try go up through the gears for the first time since CCM. Plan is WU then: 2K @ MP, 2K @ HMP, 2K @ 10K pace, 2K @ HMP, 2K @ MP, CD.

Then next mid-week I'll try some intervals at 5K pace.

A brief summary of mostly unremarkable runs since my last post:

Wed 22 June: 3.08M @ 8:29
    This was all I could manage to fit in ahead of the Ireland Italy game. Pity because it was a nice evening for a run.

Thurs 23 June: 10.36M @ 7:56
    My first double digit miles run since Cork. Started slowly and gradually grew into the run. Legs felt good. Finished with some laps of the pitches in AIT.

Sat 25 June: 4.06M @ 8:03

A short Saturday morning urban loop. Ran out to Inchicore and back by Dolphins Barn along the canal, home to Kilmainham via James Hospital. Fairly humid along the canal. Legs are fine.

Mon 27 June: 4.17M @ 8:00
    A lunchtime run out along the Chapelizod Road, and back via the S-Bends.

Weds 29 June: 10.43M @ 7:45
    A repeat of last week's 10 miler route in Athlone. And again I start out slow but the pace picks up as the run progresses. Surprised to see that I finished with two sub 7:00 miles, they felt slower. Slight ache in right foot afterwards. Not sure if this is from the run or from a new pair of suit shoes.

Thurs 30 June: 4.30M @ 7:53
    Finish a low mileage June earlier this evening. Just one lap of Cartrontroy Felt unexpectedly tired on this one and was glad to finish. Sweated quite a bit. Foot aching a little afterwards.

Toward Fingal Week 1 of 4 | Detail | Post Run Weight
    Easy 4 Miles | 4.17M @ 8:00 | N/A
    Easy 10 Miles | 10.43 @ 7:45 | N/A
    Easy 4 Mile | 4.30M @ 7:53 | N/A
    Progression Run with 2K@MP, 2K@HMP, 2K@10KP, 2K@HMP, 2K@MP | |
    LSR 12 Miles @ 7:59 to 8:13 | |

WTD 18.89M MTD 106.05M YTD 856.36M

• Advertisement

Up through the Gears

I was really looking forward to this one, it had been well over a month since I last ran at any significant speed. I think I probably under-estimated the effort that would be required and half way through the session I realised I was going to have to work to hit my targets.

I'd set the Garmin to 2K laps and showed lap pace. The plan was to run 4K of warm-up and then start speeding up: 2K at marathon pace, 2K at half marathon pace, 2K at 10K pace and then back down, 2K at half marathon pace and a final 2K at marathon pace.

Marathon pace remains at my training marathon pace so 4:14 [6:48] or 4:15 [6:50].
    My next half marathon I will aim for a 1:26:XX so that's 4:06 [6:35] or 4:07 [6:37].
    10K pace that I hope to hold for Fingal will be 3:52 [6:13] or 3:53 [6:14].

Run my warm-up out along the Chapelizod Road and up Acres to the Playing Fields. Start into the session proper lapping clockwise around the perimeter path.

The first marathon pace 2K go fine, mostly about trying to keep the pace down. The half-marathon 2K was also ok, I ended up running it a little faster than planned. But then the 10K pace section was tough. Mostly because the first half was run leaning into a strong headwind from the Fort across to Acres. Turning onto Acres was a relief even if it meant I was now running uphill. Legs and lungs working hard.

The most difficult part of the session was the transition from 10K pace back to half-marathon pace. The 10K section over and the body's immediate reaction was to drop off the pace considerably, but instead I still needed to maintain a fast enough pace and again the guts of it into that same headwind and now rain as well.

Dropping back to marathon pace was a relief and my legs and lungs were allowed to recover. Pleased to start my cool-down. Legs and body in general were tired after this one.

WU 2.00K @ 5:13 [8:23]
    WU 2.00K @ 5:02 [8:07]

2K @ 4:14 [6:49]
    2K @ 4:03 [6:32]
    2K @ 3:50 [6:10]
    2K @ 4:06 [6:36]
    2K @ 4:15 [6:50]

CD 2.00K @ 4:43 [7:36]
    CD 1.49K @ 4:58 [8:00]

Total 17.49 @ 4:29 [10.86M @ 7:12]

Toward Fingal Week 1 of 4 | Detail | Post Run Weight
    Easy 4 Miles | 4.17M @ 8:00 | N/A
    Easy 10 Miles | 10.43 @ 7:45 | N/A
    Easy 4 Mile | 4.30M @ 7:53 | N/A
    Progression Run with 2K@MP, 2K@HMP, 2K@10KP, 2K@HMP, 2K@MP | 17.49K @ 4:29 [10.86M @ 7:12 | 70.80 KG
    MLR 12 Miles @ 7:54 to 8:07 | |

WTD 29.75M MTD 10.86M YTD 867.22M

Advertisement