Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

LSR 15+ Miles

A frosty start to a new year's running. Out before 10am this morning, wearing CCM16 top over a sleeveless Skins. Risking one pair of gloves as there is no wind chill here. Mrs outforarun joins me on this one, cycling.

Take in three parks. The first is Parco Monte Stella, one of just two low hills in Milan. Quite a few cyclists and walkers gathered at its summit, taking in the 360 panorama over the city. Fairly foggy. Head back down and run to the second park, Parco delle Cave.

Foggy here. Several runners out this morning, I'm the only one in shorts and t-shirt though. That said my right hand is feeling the cold. I'm trying to run as much as possible in the warming sunshine. Complete a lap here and then run back toward Trenno near where we started before turning into the final park, Bosco in Citta.

Bit of trail running here and then stick to the dirt tracks between the rice fields. Cut through the Park and out the other side into neighbouring village Figino. At this point we've covered HM distance. Right hand is no longer cold.We're running short on time so I up the pace on the last couple of miles and log two 6:XX miles.

Legs respond well to the increase in pace, they've felt good all morning.

Great way to start the year, miles passes quickly with the company. Circa 1900 calories burnt making the traditional lunchtime plate of pork and lentil stew a guiltless affair.

M01 8:30
    M02 7:51
    M03 9:11
    M04 8:03
    M05 7:31
    M06 7:53
    M07 7:28
    M08 7:10
    M09 7:25
    M10 7:23
    M11 7:10
    M12 7:41
    M13 7:02
    M14 6:53
    M15 6:41

Total 15.34M @ 7:34

WTD 25.62M MTD 15.34M YTD 15.34M

2016 Review

A small step forward.

In the last quarter of the year I started to notice a definite improvement across a range of paces. My VO2 pace moved into 3K territory with a range of 3:35 [5:46] to 3:39 [5:52] replacing 3:40 [5:54] to 3:45 [6:02]. My new tempo pace became 3:55 [6:18] to 3:59 [6:24]. MLR and LR paces also increased and I was completing these comfortably in 7:XX miles. A set of new PBs across 5K, 10K, HM and Marathon confirm progress made in 2016. However the progress is less than I would have liked: 5 seconds improvement on a 2 year-old 5K PB, 16 seconds in a year off my 10K PB.

The marathon in Cork may have produced my lowest VDot rating of the year but in some ways in was arguably my best performance. I'm fairly certain that I would have hit my sub 3:10 goal if it hadn't been for the very humid conditions. My average pace for the majority of the race was pointing to a 3:08 finish, which would have been a 10 min improvement.

Marathon training was for a sub 3:00 (per P&D) with the intention of running a sub 3:10. I am convinced I need this buffer. I'll push it a bit further for DCM17 and train for sub 2:55.

I had to navigate my first significant injury in a long while when my left knee started protesting in the middle of the year and threatened to derail my CCM. A visit to the physio reassured me that it was nothing serious and gave me some peace of mind for raceday. The left knee continues to be my weak link and I should really make an effort to dedicate time in 2017 to completing strength exercises for it.

I made a decision around halfway through the year to change my diet to one where I eat meat/fish only 2 days a week. The other 5 days are vegetarian. This is something I am perfectly happy to continue doing. One unexpected result of this was to see my weight drop under 70kg for the first time since I started regularly weighing myself. Average weight became 69kg to 71kg. I weighed in on occasion at 68.XXkg. Previously my average would have been from 71kg to 73kg. Took my eye off diet a little over the last 2 months of the year; took my eye of training a little during the last 2 months of the year.

Signed up to Parkrun in 2016 and ran twice in Waterstown. I like the relaxed nature of Parkrun and with Waterstown I like the fact that I can expect to race for podium spots, this definitely adds a little spice to the run. My 18:57 in the second Waterstown was probably one of my better performances of the year given the fact that it measured 5.1K on the Garmin and given the nasty climb over the last 400ms or so.

Also ran with Donore for the first time. Joined in on some of their Sunday group runs. These were always run at a healthy pace with the group and the chat making the effort feel very comfortable. Unless I'm living and working fulltime in Dublin I can't see myself joining the club though.

Memorable runs of 2016?

CCM16, but not for the reasons I'd like, yes I logged a 5 minute PB and a BQ time but my lasting memory is of the first aid tent and wheelchair at the end, some scary breathing problems and my first ever cramps. CCM16 will sadly almost certainly be my last Cork Marathon, I just do not want to risk those conditions again. I love the weekend too much though so I will continue to run the HM (assuming they get the distance right) but I'll be prepared to drop the effort if I feel humidity is an issue.

Blessington always comes to mind when I think back over the year. Different this year was a focused effort to run the best racing line I could. The race measured 10.01K on the Garmin so I did a good job and absolutely earned a 38:3X because of this. I hope the drop in runners this year was just a blip.

Roncobello also always comes to mind - the satisfaction of reaching the summit of my long climb (ranked as category 1 climb on Strava) is one of the highlights of the year. 800ms of unrelenting ascent in around 5 miles, at altitude. The freewheel back down is fabolous reward.

Three training runs come to mind.

One was the Saturday before Blessington, when I for some reason thought 4 bollard-to-bollard ascents of the Khyber (950m) at 5K pace would be a handy session. After the first ascent I knew I was in for a long and sore morning. On the 4th and final ascent I got a "Great work" from Catherina McKiernan, so it was all worth it.

The second was a 45 min tempo in November around the playing fields. I logged 11.50K @ 3:55 pace [7.15M @ 6:18]. I felt like I could have continued until 50mins, if not more.

The third was 4x1200 @ 5K pace run in torrential rain in a dark evening in Parco di Trenno in Milan. I remember this one being a proper battle, not just with the elements but also with lungs and legs.

DCM was fun and a rare opportunity to run a marathon without any pressure. A pleasant chat for the first half. A crazy 3700 runners passed between halfway and mile 19. Then some genuine pacing work to help bring a friend home to a 6min PB. Nice medal as well.

I'm a little disappointed with the low yearly mileage (1758 miles). Also a little disappointed that I never managed to run another 3000m TT on the track.

And that's that. On balance a good year's running but definitely with room for improvement.

Easy 6 Miles

An overcast and chilly Monday morning in Milan. I don't wander too far from home and stick to laps of Parco di Trenno. I can feel yesterday's 15 miler in the legs. Not too many out today, it's not a holiday here. The park runs alongside a racing track and jockeys are out galloping horses alongside me. The horses are working harder than me. I tip along at whatever feels easy and I don't check pace on the Garmin. I complete two and a half laps before heading for home.

Surprised and pleased afterwards to see that the last 3 easy effort miles were all sub 7:30.

M01 8:32
    M02 8:04
    M03 7:48
    M04 7:16
    M05 7:27
    M06 7:21

Total 6.30M @ 7:44

Toward Raheny Week 1 of 4: Session targets | Actual Results | Post Run Weight
    Easy 6 Miles @ whatever feels easy | 6.30M @ 7:44 | N/A
    MLR 10 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | |
    Easy 6 Miles @ whatever feels easy | |
    Segment PB Attempt 3.6K < 13:45 | |
    MLR 12 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | |

WTD 6.30M MTD 21.64M YTD 21.64M

Touching wood that injury, illness, life doesn't get in the way, the plan is to divide the year into 4 training blocks as follows:

January - Warming-up

My 5 mile PB is weak and running Raheny at the end of January should allow me to start the year with a handy PB. I imagine I'll target a 30:XX. I'll see on the day how low that XX will be. In January I aim to complete 5 speed sessions ahead of the race, while keeping weekly mileage up around the 40 mile mark.

February to June - P&L's HM Schedule 1 for CCHM17

Starting on 6 Feb, this is a 12 week plan which I need to complete across 17 calendar weeks. I aim to give myself a lot more buffer in 2017, to allow for illness, injury, work, adhoc recovery weeks, adhoc races, parkruns and to cater for a little overlap with DCM training. I want to tick all the boxes on the HM plan but I don't want to be getting anxious everytime I look at a calendar. Plenty of wiggle room is on the menu.

Right now I'd hope for a 1:25:XX in the Cork HM at the start of June. That goal may change. I also plan to use 2 of the 5 buffer weeks to run the first easy 2 weeks of P&D55 for DCM17. I'll post up target training paces in the week before the plan starts. I need to spend some time reading the P&L book beforehand. I will make one variation to the plan though, I want to keep weekly mileage up so I'll tag on 3 miles to each of the Sunday long runs.

June to October - P&D55 for DCM17

It'll be strange starting marathon training so late in the year. I'll start from week 3 of 18 on 12 June. As mentioned above I'll slot the first two easy weeks of the plan into 2 of the HM buffer weeks. This then leaves me with a generous 4 weeks of buffer for DCM. Some of these will be used when I'm in the mountains in the summer and I will also try to accomodate the Frank Duffy and/or Blessington 10K. The goal for DCM is to run sub 3:10 feeling as comfortable as I did when I ran 3:18 in CCM15. Only then will I have the confidence to finally target sub 3:00.

For DCM17 I'll probably train with sub 2:55 paces. I trained with sub 3:00 paces in 2016 and often hit 2:58 paces, so I think 2:55 paces should be doable and should ensure a continuation of the progress made over the last couple of years. Hit all my targets and a comfortable sub 3:10 should be on the cards.

November to December - 2000 Miles

Hopefully after DCM17 I will have logged my 4 PBs for the calendar year ( most likely in 5M, 10M, HM and Marathon). I'll spend 3 weeks of November recovering. Then the focus for the remaining weeks of the year will be to ensure I hit 2000 miles. In doing this I hope to run some more 45min tempos, maybe even pushing to 50mins. I may or may not run the Jingle Bells. If I do it will be off zero 5K specific training and probably zero recent speedwork. Course if I haven't logged 4 PBs by end of October then my plans for the last month and a bit will need revisiting.

If I navigate all the above without injury and hit all my targets then I believe I will have set myself up nicely for a genuine attempt at sub 3:00 in DCM18.

Finally. I'll not go into detail because I've made commitments here before that just fade to nothing, this year I hope to concentrate on action first and I can write about it later. But briefly, I have goals around core exercises, knee strengthening exercises, sugar and alcohol consumption and hours of sleep. I will post a review of each month's running at the end of each month this year and will use that as an opportunity to document how these non-running goals are going. One thing I can say for certain is that I will stick to my 5 days a week vegetarian diet. And as always I will try as much as possible to cook with single, non processed, ingredients.

That's it. Easy to put on paper, now for the hard bit .....

MLR 10 Miles

Not entirely sure any more what my MLR pace should be. However my LR pace will probably be 7:45 to 8:00. So given that MLR pace should be similar with scope for going faster if the legs feel good, I'm setting MLR pace for now at 7:30 to 8:00.

I decided this after today's run. Set out into another crisp Milan morning. Not as chilly today as previous days and the sun was quickly burning through the early morning haze. Nice running conditions. I decided to focus on Parco delle Cave this morning. Takes a few miles to get there then two laps of the Park, before heading back home via a little of Parco di Trenno.

I checked the Garmin for the first time during the second lap of the park and saw 7:46 as average pace. I'm happy not go any faster than this and make some sort of effort to hold pace steady. I don't check the Garmin again until the run was over, when I see 7:28 average pace. Again no way did I feel I was travelling this fast, it felt like I was travelling just a little outside easy pace. Splits show some 7:0X miles but I never felt I was travelling at faster than marathon pace. Bodes well I hope.

M01 8:32
    M02 8:04
    M03 7:55
    M04 7:19
    M05 7:09
    M06 7:07
    M07 7:08
    M08 7:12
    M09 7:15
    M10 7:06

Total 10.14M @ 7:28

MLR 10 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | 10.14M @ 7:28 | N/A
    Easy 6 Miles @ whatever feels easy | |

WTD 16.44M MTD 31.78M YTD 31.78M

• Advertisement

Easy 6+ Miles

Another easy run yesterday, where I don't check the Garmin throughout. Once again the effort feels easy and very comfortable. Once again the splits are surprisingly quick.

Conditions were good again today. Crisp with sunshine working its way through the haze.

I had planned on running my segment PB attempt on Friday morning but other appointments mean I have to run it Thursday morning instead. Little anxious ahead of this. Have I eaten too much over this Milan based week?

M01 8:34
    M02 7:58
    M03 7:44
    M04 7:34
    M05 7:28
    M06 7:32

Total 6.31M @ 7:48

Easy 6 Miles @ whatever feels easy | 6.31M @ 7:48 | N/A

WTD 22.75M MTD 38.09M YTD 38.09M

3.6K Segment PB Attempt

Thursday night in a German restaurant tucking into an assortment of red meats with an amber ale for company. Outside the wind was picking up. All told the omens weren't good ahead of Thursday's attempt at a Strava segment PB.

Apart from it being a little too chilly in the early morning the conditions here had been perfect for running, until yesterday morning. Shutters were rattling during the night and stepping outside I was met by bright sunshine and by a stiff wind blowing down from the Alps. Typical.

I headed across to Parco di Trenno and ran one lap as a warm-up. Confirmed what I feared, I'd have to run the guts of the second half of the lap into a strong wind. The second half is also on a slight incline. I was not looking forward to this. True, the segment covers a full lap so in theory I could have started with the uphill headwind section while I was still relatively fresh and have hoped to finish strong. But I decide instead to start from my usual spot.

I start fast, first glance at Garmin shows 3:33 [5:42] pace. Not sure how much to slow up as I should maybe take advantage of the slight downhill and the wind which I guess is at my back. Checking run on Strava afterwards I see that I was 10 seconds behind my PB after 500m and was 13 seconds down after 1000m. This was ok though as I'd started far too fast last time out.

Lungs and legs were both working but I wasn't feeling tooooo bad. As I reach the end of the easier opening stretch and turn northwards I'm travelling at 3:41 [5:55] and with 1500m completed I'm only 4 seconds off my PB.

But now the difficulty soars. The cold headwind is blowing directly against me and though the eyes can't tell the difference the legs do notice the slight incline. After 2000m I've pulled within just 3 seconds of my PB but the effort levels have risen too far and I'm losing form and momentum.

Leaning forward lungs struggling. There are a couple of short turns that each offer maybe 5 seconds relief from the wind. I glance again at the Garmin and see average pace has dropped to 3:44 [6:00]. After 2500ms I'm 7 seconds off my PB, after 3000ms that was fallen to 9 seconds. I feel like I'm crawling. Finally at around 3200m I turn out of the wind and start into the last 400ms of the segment. At 3500m I had fallen to 12 seconds behind but a final push sees me recover 3 seconds to finish in 13:54, 9 seconds slower than my PB.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. I held 3:42 on the Garmin for 5K in the Jingle Bells, today I managed 3:47 for around 3.6K. Admittedly I might have been able to improve that average if I'd continued into a second lap, finishing on the slight downhill with a tailwind. Need to stay focussed and consistent in January and cannot assume a PB is a gimme ahead of Raheny.

I hope the wind was the chief factor affecting my time. I'll schedule a 30 minute tempo run for next weekend and hopefully this will prove more positive than my last two long speed sessions. I'm also curious to step on the scales after Sunday's run to see how well I've managed my diet over the last week.

I enjoyed this segment attempt despite the wind (and today of course there's just the slightest hint of a breeze). I expect to be back in April and I'll have another shot at it then.

4.41K @ 5:12 [2.74M @ 8:22]
    3.67K @ 3:47 [2.28M @ 6:05]
    4.47K @ 4:54 [2.78M @ 7:53]

Total 12.55K @ 4:41 [7.80M @ 7:32]

Segment PB Attempt 3.6K < 13:45 | 13:54 | N/A

WTD 30.55M MTD 46.89M YTD 46.89M

MLR 13+ Miles

This was a little longer and a little faster than planned. Met up with overpronator and 3 others at Donore clubhouse and we headed off on the usual Sunday morning route. Pace picked up gradually as the miles ticked by. It remained conversational (apart from maybe the ascent up the Khyber) throughout. Legs were good, no ill effects from my fast 3.6K of 3 days previous. Last couple of miles were run at 6:4X pace, before overpronator and I split from the group and dropped the pace a little as we headed from Chapelizod Gate back to Islandbridge.

Stepped on the scales and happy to see that I escaped Italy unscathed, 70.10 kg. Big improvement on last years 75+ kg.

Registered for Raheny.

M01 9:00
    M02 7:32
    M03 8:27
    M04 7:50
    M05 7:20
    M06 7:10
    M07 6:58
    M08 6:54
    M09 7:05
    M10 7:01
    M11 6:45
    M12 6:47
    M13 7:46

Total 13.78M @ 7:25

Segment PB Attempt 3.6K < 13:45 | 13:54 | N/A
    MLR 12 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | 13.78M @ 7:25 | 70.10 kg

WTD 44.33M MTD 60.67M YTD 60.67M

Easy 4+ Miles

First run in Athlone in nearly a month. Had to cut it a little short as I got out of the office later than expected and needed to be in town for 8:00pm. Had packed the Asterias for this. Footfall felt good, legs felt light. Mild conditions compared to Milan.

M01 8:41
    M02 8:19
    M03 8:15
    M04 7:55

Total 4.82M @ 8:18

Toward Raheny Week 2 of 4: Session targets | Actual Results | Post Run Weight
    Easy 4+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | 4.82M @ 8:18 | N/A
    Easy 4 Miles @ whatever feels easy | |
    30 Minute Tempo @ 3:55 to 3:59 [6:18 to 6:24] |
    MLR 14 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | |

WTD 4.82M MTD 65.49M YTD 65.49M

MLR 10 Miles

Around 7:30 last night before I headed out for this one. Cold and dark outside with a chance of snow. Left my t-shirt on and threw running top over it, running jacket on, two pairs of gloves, reflective armbands and DCM head-torch. Feels like I'm leaving base-camp to head out on an expedition.

Head to Park Gate and start the long ascent up Chesterfield. Really enjoying running with head-torch, look left and right sending the strong light beam into the trees, wondering if I'll see a pair of deer eyes reflect back at me. Exit at Castleknock Gate and continue ascent to College Road. Then back into the dark and the descent down Tower Road. Looking to my right at the sweep of distant lights down in the Liffey Valley.

Into Chapelizod and continue all the way to Hueston before doubling back along St.John's Road and then around to Kilmainham and base-camp.

Enjoyed this one. And paced it well with 9 of the 10 miles logging inside target range.

M01 8:47
    M02 7:55
    M03 7:39
    M04 7:41
    M05 7:48
    M06 7:44
    M07 7:39
    M08 7:31
    M09 7:35
    M10 7:43

Total 10.04M @ 7:48

MLR 10 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | 10.04M @ 7:48 | 71.25 KG
    Easy 4 Miles @ whatever feels easy | |

WTD 14.86M MTD 75.53M YTD 75.53M

• Advertisement

Easy 4 Miles

Bright, breezy and a little chilly for this short lunchtime run. Headed to Playing Fields running from the fort to Acres and then swinging left to return along the S-Bends. Spot the usual bunch of rabbits that you see round here, then two foxes dash out of the undergrowth on their lunchtime. I startle them, they startle me. I've never seen foxes in the park before. I don't hang around to see how the rabbits get on.

Left achilles feeling a bit stiff since the late afternoon, been a while since I've last heard it complain. Won't be running tomorrow so it'll have some time to recover.

M02 8:17
    M03 7:48
    M04 7:57

Total 4.02 @ 8:12

Easy 4 Miles @ whatever feels easy | 4.02M @ 8:12 | 71.55 KG

WTD 18.88M MTD 79.55M YTD 79.55M

30 Minute Tempo

Technically this was a failed tempo session but a huge confidence boost 2 weeks out from Raheny.

I was a little wary Saturday morning ahead of this having struggled on my last two long speed sessions and feared it would be a tough morning's work. Headed over to my usual tempo route, i.e. clockwise laps of the Playing Fields. 3K of warm-up and then I hit the lap button calling up a 30 minute countdown. Start the loop at the southwest corner. Target pace 3:55 [6:18] to 3:59 [6:24].

Opt not to check the Garmin until I'd turned off the Acres stretch. First check and see 3:48 [6:06], too fast try ease up. Second check at fort, 3:45 [6:02]. Ok the usual headwind is blowing down from Acres so that should slow me down. I continue to loop around. Everytime I check the Garmin I see 3:4X. After halfway I kind of abandon attempts to slow down and just opt to continue at the current effort.

On three sides of the loop I am comfortably uncomfortable, on the fort to Acres I am uncomfortably uncomfortable. As the 30 minutes nears it's end I resolve to stay sub 3:50 [6:10], one last push into the headwind and I succeed with this goal. Happy it's over? Yes. Dead on my feet? No.

So 7.85K @ 3:49 [4.88M @ 6:09]. This is effectively my 5 mile target pace. On the Garmin it would log me a 30:45. My aim is to get a 30:XX so I guess I should really target a sub 30:30.

But I'd be lying if I said sub 30:00 hasn't crossed my mind. On the Garmin I was only approx 200m short. Let's double that to 400m to allow for racing line. Could I fit in an extra 400m over the course of 30 minutes? 400ms doesn't seem like a lot but it means giving my virtual self a one lap of a track head-start and then trying to catch my virtual self over around 20 laps. Not an easy ask.

My target for the race is 3:45 [6:02] to 3:49 [6:08] pace. I'll probably set out at 3:45 pace and see how I'm feeling after 3 miles. If I feel good and if the conditions are good I might have a shot at it. I suspect there might be a group I could try tuck in with on the day as well. If I hit sub 30:00 I think I'd rank it as my best result since I started running.

Looking forward to Raheny now.

3.00K @ 5:35 [1.87M @ 8:59]
    7.85K @ 3:49 [4.88M @ 6:09]
    2.86K @ 4:51 [1.78M @ 7:49]

Total 13.78K @ 4:26 [8.56M @ 7:08]

30 Minute Tempo @ 3:55 to 3:59 [6:18 to 6:24] | 13.78K @ 4:26 with 7.85K @ 3:49 [8.56M @ 7:08 with 4.88M @ 6:09] | N/A

WTD 27.44M MTD 88.11M YTD 88.11M

MLR 14 Miles

Opted not to join Donore for my Sunday morning run. I reckoned the pace would be a little too tasty after yesterday's tempo and midweek Achilles feedback. Ran a solo 14 miler instead making up the route as I went. Unseasonably mild. Took in the full 5K of the Waterstown Parkrun course, too many off the leash dogs for my liking here. Headed back to Chapelizod and ran an ascent of Knockmaroon. Then cut back down through the park.

At around halfway I saw an average pace of 8:18 showing. I up the pace slightly and watch over the second half of the run as the pace drops into target range. Legs definitely still feeling Saturday's effort.

Another 40+ mile week. Pass 100 miles for the year. So far so good for 2017.

M01 9:17
    M02 8:16
    M03 8:26
    M04 8:35
    M05 7:55
    M06 7:44
    M07 7:55
    M08 7:32
    M09 7:33
    M10 7:48
    M11 7:32
    M12 7:23 [100 miles for 2017]
    M13 7:38
    M14 7:53

Total 14.07M @ 7:57

30 Minute Tempo @ 3:55 to 3:59 [6:18 to 6:24] | 13.78K @ 4:26 with 7.85K @ 3:49 [8.56M @ 7:08 with 4.88M @ 6:09] | N/A
    MLR 14 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | 14.07M @ 7:57 | 69.60 KG

WTD 41.51M MTD 102.18M YTD 102.18M

Easy 4 Miles

Feeling under the weather today. Felt a run might make me feel better. Late afternoon for 4 slow easy miles in a bleak and wintry park.

M01 9:16
    M02 8:31
    M03 8:18
    M04 8:30

Total 4.02M @ 8:39

Toward Raheny Week 3 of 4: Session targets | Actual Results | Post Run Weight
    Easy 4+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | 4.02M @ 8:39 | 71.30 KG
    VO2 Max 5x800m @ 3K pace | |
    20 Minute Tempo @ 3:55 to 3:59 [6:18 to 6:24] | |

WTD 4.02M MTD 106.20M YTD 106.20M

VO2Max 5x800m @ 3K Pace

First track session of 2017. A standard 5x800m at a 3K pace of 3:35 to 3:39 [5:46 to 5:42] off 2 minutes jog recovery.

Another mild January evening, but still wore gloves and a light running jacket. Shared the track with a 'Fit for Life' group but I never needed to leave lane 1. The other runners gave me targets to aim for and helped me maintain momentum. I glanced at the Garmin after each lap of the track to ensure I was completing 400m in around 1:27.

The first 800m was too fast and I eased up a little for the next couple. This was tougher than expected. The lungs were working hard over the final 300m of each interval, burning a little. Legs as well didn't feel super light and zippy, apart from maybe the first 200m of each repeat.

I was up this morning at 6:00 having had around 4 hours sleep and I'd had 2 Guinness Tuesday night as well so it wasn't great sleep. I reckon this must make a difference.

I hit all my targets:

Interval 1 in 2:47.68 @ 3:30 [5:37]
    Interval 2 in 2:51:54 @ 3:34 [5:45]
    Interval 3 in 2:50.92 @ 3:34 [5:44]
    Interval 4 in 2:54.25 @ 3:38 [5:52]
    Interval 5 in 2:55.15 @ 3:39 [5:52]

Average 800m in 2:51.91 @ 3:35 [5:46]

VO2 Max 5x800m @ 3K pace | 13.27K @ 4:36 [8.25M @ 7:25] with average interval of 2:51.91 |

WTD 12.27 MTD 113.45M YTD 113.45M

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

looking forward to seeing what you do in raheny.
    in an earlier post you mentioned the big 30:00. (albeit maybe as a throwaway remark). anyhow good to see you thinking like that. 30:00 would be a big barrier to break and you're not v far away i reckon.
    is'nt raheny 5 miles and not 8K ? (those additional 10 secs!)
    keep it going.

looking forward to seeing what you do in raheny.
    in an earlier post you mentioned the big 30:00. (albeit maybe as a throwaway remark). anyhow good to see you thinking like that. 30:00 would be a big barrier to break and you're not v far away i reckon.
    is'nt raheny 5 miles and not 8K ? (those additional 10 secs!)
    keep it going.

The targets I'm setting for Raheny are:

< 30:30 = Gold
    < 31:00 = Silver
    < 31:30 = Bronze
    < 31:48 = Consolation

The sub 30:00 would be platinum and would need everything to go right on the day, mentally, physically, strategically and meteorologically. It would be a dream result.

MLR 10+ Miles

When working in Dublin my hardest challenge in the running week was to get out at 05:XX in the morning to complete a pre-work run. Now working midweek in Athlone the biggest challenge is finding the will-power to get out in the evening for my midweek 10 miler. It's become such an uninspiring loop. Once the evenings get brighter I have to go exploring new routes.

Three laps of my Retreat Road, Cartrontroy loop, that feel like they go on for ever. After one lap I see I'm travelling at 8:16 pace. It's strange how in Milan I would just effortlessly fall into sub 8:00 pace. Here instead I have to push a little to find target pace. It feels like more effort than Milan.

On lap 3 a student who's had far too much to drink starts to run alongside me. A bit of small talk, he's not making a lot of sense and is swaying left to right. He decides to sprint ahead of me. I know he's going to fall and he does, quite heavily. I pause the watch, ask him if he's ok. He's fairly confused, gets back on his feet. He'll be sore tomorrow. I tell him to mind himself and then I continue on my way, putting the foot down to ensure he doesn't decide to tag along again.

M02 8:08
    M03 8:03
    M04 7:34
    M06 7:52
    M07 7:41
    M08 7:23
    M09 7:22
    M10 7:18

Total 10.46M @ 7:48

VO2 Max 5x800m @ 3K pace | 13.27K @ 4:36 [8.25M @ 7:25] with average interval of 2:51.91 | N/A
    MLR 10 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | 10.46M @ 7:48 | N/A

WTD 22.73 MTD 123.91M YTD 123.91M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

You look to be going very well at the moment OFAR.

A question\observation on your longer easier stuff; the pace seems to swing quite a bit from start to finish...are you running the latter miles quicker to offset the slightly slower initial miles? Or is a case of that's just how the run works out?

Duanington wrote: »
    You look to be going very well at the moment OFAR.

A question\observation on your longer easier stuff; the pace seems to swing quite a bit from start to finish...are you running the latter miles quicker to offset the slightly slower initial miles? Or is a case of that's just how the run works out?

Thanks. I feel like I'm on the cusp of some significant improvement if I can just maintain training and dietary consistency for more than just a handful of weeks. I'm also really curious to see what impact following a dedicated HM plan will have.

On the long runs, 4 times out of 5 it's just the way the run works out. There is no deliberate decision to up the pace as the run progresses. I just let the stride evolve naturally.

• Advertisement

Tempo 20 Minutes

I had every intention of sticking to tempo pace of 3:55 [6:18] to 3:59 [6:24] this morning. I run my usual 3K warm-up from home to the southwest corner of the Playing Fields loop. I was looking forward to hitting the lap button and speeding up, as it might banish some of the morning chill, it's a cold one. No significant headwinds today.

I start into the short tempo section and take my first speedcheck at the top of Acres, 3:51 [6:11] pace, ok that's not too bad let's gently ease up. Legs don't feel super spritely and I make a mental note to ensure that I don't stress them next week. I want to arrive fresh at the start line.

At the fort I see that I've fallen back into last week's 3:49 [6:08] pace. Slow down! Legs are working harder than lungs. I wonder if I've set my tempo pace to slow? It's probably just that shorter tempos of 20 or 30 minutes duration encourage me to put the foot down a little more. If I was running a 40 minute or longer tempo I'm sure I'd be more disciplined about sticking to my 3:55 to 3:59 range. I ignore the Garmin and just elect to continue at this effort. It's only 2 laps of the Playing Fields, I've then a week of easy running to relax the legs.

I finish 20:00 mins at 3:49 [6:08] pace covering 5.24K. I would love it if in Raheny 3:45 [6:02] felt like the 3:49 pace set today and last Saturday.

3.00K @ 5:42 [1.87M @ 9:10]
    5.24K @ 3:49 [3.26M @ 6:08]
    3.56K @ 4:41 [2.21M @ 7:32]

Total 11.84K @ 4:33 [7.36M @ 7:20]

VO2 Max 5x800m @ 3K pace | 13.27K @ 4:36 [8.25M @ 7:25] with average interval of 2:51.91 | N/A
    20 Minute Tempo @ 3:55 to 3:59 [6:18 to 6:24] | 11.84K @ 4:33 with 5.24K @ 3:49 [7.36M @ 7:20 with 3.26M @ 6:08] | 71.55 KG

WTD 30.09 MTD 131.25M YTD 131.25M

MLR 14 Miles

Another cold one. Two gloves on my right hand but it was still cold and sore by the end of the run. Decided against the park this morning and headed south side, through Rathmines, Ranelagh, Donnybrook and Clonskeagh. Entered UCD to run a loop of the trails there. Once again I manage to get lost on these trails, I never manage to complete a neat loop, maybe there isn't one.

I exit onto Foster's Avenue and follow the road-signs back to Clonskeagh, then run to the canal and following it to Rialto and home. Bit of button fumbling at the end, average pace was more like 7:44 than 7:46.

Pace gradually picked up as the miles ticked by. Legs feeling heavy but responding well. Really need to focus now on arriving at Raheny with fresh legs. Three consecutive 40+ mile weeks, need to keep this consistency going.

M01 8:49
    M02 7:55
    M03 7:28
    M04 7:48
    M05 7:35
    M06 7:48
    M07 7:42
    M08 7:56
    M09 7:32
    M10 7:25
    M11 7:35
    M12 7:32
    M13 7:28
    M14 7:45

Total 14.08 @ 7:46

20 Minute Tempo @ 3:55 to 3:59 [6:18 to 6:24] | 11.84K @ 4:33 with 5.24K @ 3:49 [7.36M @ 7:20 with 3.26M @ 6:08] | 71.55 KG
    MLR 14 Miles @ 7:30 to 8:00 | 14.08 @ 7:46 | 70.75 KG

WTD 44.17 MTD 145.33M YTD 145.33M

Easy 4 Miles

Easy means easy and this week that's all I plan to do. I'll throw in a few strides on Saturday but otherwise it's just about keeping the legs loose and ticking over. I had thought about running four or five 400ms midweek but opted against this.

Started with a lunchtime 4 miler on Tuesday. Mild enough outside. Over to the park for my usual lap of the playing fields. Lots of deer out today. Legs feeling a bit heavy and sluggish.

M01 9:02
    M02 8:12
    M03 7:47
    M04 8:05

Total 4.05M @ 8:16

Toward Raheny Week 4 of 4: Session targets | Actual Results | Post Run Weight
    Easy 4 Miles @ whatever feels easy | 4.05M @ 8:16 | N/A
    Easy 5+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | |
    Easy 8+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | |
    Lap of the Park with 6x100m strides | |
    Raheny 5 Mile sub 30:30 attempt | |

WTD 4.05 MTD 149.38M YTD 149.38M

Easy 5+ Miles

Super windy Wednesday evening in Athlone. It was difficult to walk against the wind, running against it was a bit crazy.

The first two and a bit miles I had the wind at my back and I tipped along very comfortably. I wore the Asterias today. Legs still felt a bit heavy but much lighter than, during yesterday's run.

When I turn around and started into the closing miles I take the full brunt of the strong headwinds. I can hear nothing but the roar of the wind, I'm leaning forward and my face is set in a grimace. Glad to finish this one and get back inside. First run in a long while where I didn't log a sub 8:00 mile.

M01 8:44
    M02 8:11
    M03 8:14
    M04 8:20
    M05 8:16

Total 5.84M @ 8:24

Easy 5+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | 5.84M @ 8:24 | N/A
    Easy 8+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | |

WTD 9.89 MTD 155.22M YTD 155.22M

Easy 8 Miles

Really didn't fancy heading out Thursday evening in Athlone. Wind was still blowing strong. Summoned up the required willpower, laced up and headed out. It wasn't too bad once I got moving. Two laps of my Cartrontroy Loop plus a little diversion through AIT to bring up the 8 miles.

There's an international Grand Prix on in February in the AIT indoor arena. I'll be working there that day so I think I might pop along to see the experts at work.

Glad to tick this one off. I've a history of sometimes slacking off a little too much in the week before race so glad that I'm ticking all the boxes this week.

M01 8:58
    M02 8:19
    M03 8:28
    M04 8:04
    M06 8:08
    M07 7:47
    M08 7:37

Total 8.22M @ 8:08

Easy 8+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | 8.22M @ 8:08 | N/A

WTD 18.11 MTD 163.44M YTD 163.44M

Easy 13K with 6x100m Strides

Finished my 4 weeks of preparation for Raheny this morning with an anti-clockwise lap of the park. Legs felt fairly light. Nimbus felt a bit heavy. I think the biggest training benefit of wearing the Nimbus is that it makes the Asterias feel so light by comparison on the faster days. Part of me is wondering if I should just pick up a second pair of Asterias and make them my sole training and racing shoe.

I ran the strides from the start of OS Road and the set of 6 brought me near the start of the descent down Upper Glen Road. Stride felt ok during these. Finish the lap exiting at Islandbridge Gate and head back home.

That's that. Tomorrow will conclude part 1 of my 4 part plan for the year (post 2196). I've been thinking a lot about tomorrow's race, in a good way. The plan is to be travelling at an average pace of 3:45 [6:02] at the 3 mile mark. I'll take stock at that point and based on lungs and legs decide to try hold that pace, or to push some more. I'm going to tell myself that this is just like my recent 30 minute 'tempo', just a fraction faster.

I'll set the Garmin to auto-lap every mile but I'll have metric pace showing. Speaking of Garmins, I'm in the market for a new one. My current 210 is falling apart, the GPS is fine, but the strap is snapped in two places and the body of the casing is starting to come loose as well. I have to carry it wrapped between my fingers at the moment, fairly awkward.

Oh and I tried out Strava's 'Beacon' tracking functionality today. Works perfectly.

Total 13.10K @ 4:47 [8.14M @ 7:41]

Easy 8+ Miles @ whatever feels easy | 8.22M @ 8:08 | N/A
    Lap of the Park with 6x100m strides | 13.10K @ 4:47 [8.14M @ 7:41] | 70.90 KG

WTD 26.25 MTD 171.58M YTD 171.58M

unless i'm mistaken big congrats are in order.!
    great time.
    fair play.

unless i'm mistaken big congrats are in order.!
    great time.
    fair play.

You're not mistaken. Race report going up shortly. :)

Raheny 5 Mile 2017

Pre-Race

Luas to town, bus to Raheny then follow the crowds to the race HQ. I had given myself plenty of time so, still in tracksuit, I wandered over to the finishing straight to watch two of the junior races. Great community atmosphere around even with the wet and chilly conditions. My feet were starting to get cold and damp so I head for the changing facilities. Off with tracksuit, on with gloves. Drop my stuff into the bag-drop. Nice touch giving everyone a plastic bag in which to protect their stuff from the rain. So far everything is really well organized. I head off on a 3K warm-up, happy to get moving and once I do get moving I realise it's not actually all that cold.

Legs feel fresh, I feel a mix of nervous energy and optimism. Back to the starting pen and I realise I should have lined up sooner, the place is packed. I work my way slowly up through the crowds until at a certain point I cannot nudge my way forward anymore. The starting line is still someway up ahead. I don't see any signs indicating different finishing times so it's a bit of a free for all. There are 4 minutes to go. There is a gap in the barriers; I spend 5 seconds deliberating before exiting via the gap and moving forward hoping to find another gap. Luckily there is one and I rejoin the throng, still around 40ms behind the start line with a few hundred people ahead of me. Announcements are being made but above the crowd-chatter it's next to impossible to understand what is being said.

So the plan is 3:45 [6:02] pace for the first 3 miles, then make a hold or push decision. Gold target is sub 30:30, but always at the back of my mind there is a little voice saying 29:59. I try not to pay too much attention to that voice for now, maybe later.

Without any great fanfare we're off. Takes a while before I pass under the gantry and hit start on the Garmin.

Mile 1 - 5:59

Heavy congestion at the start. Watching heels in front of me, hoping whoever is behind me is doing the same. Weave to the left, weave to the right looking for open pockets. Keep switching between brake and accelerator. Parked cars everywhere and I come close to clipping some wing-mirrors. It's all a bit crazy, but does eventually improve and I do eventually find some breathing space and get to check the Garmin and I'm more or less on pace moving mostly between 3:44 [6:00] and 3:46 [6:04]. Legs feeling ok.

Mile 2 - 6:02

On the Howth Road and the second phase of congestion begins. We're channeled down a narrow corridor marked with cones and tape along the right-hand margin of the road. There's probably room for 4 abreast along here and the field hasn't yet hugely spread out. I'm mostly overtaking and I get boxed in every 100ms or so, more weaving required. Hard to establish a steady pace. We're also travelling mostly up an incline along here so I'm already feeling the effort levels rising.

Between the weaving and pace adjustments and the realization that I don't know the course profile I've already more or less ditched plans to focus rigorously on 3:45 [6:02] pace, I'd use it as a guide but I'd try run more on effort. We turn down Sybill Hill Road and out of our enforced corridor. The road descends now as well, stride feels more free and more fluid. Pass the two mile marker. Feels like I've been running for longer than just 2 miles.

Mile 3 - 5:54

The road continues its gentle descent for the first half of mile three. Whenever I glance at the Garmin I see 3:43 [5:59] or sometimes 3:42 [5:57] showing. Faster than I had intended pre-race but effort wise it felt about right (I hoped). All the time I'm gradually pulling past other runners. We start climbing again for the second half of this mile but the pace holds steady and as we pass the 3 mile marker it still shows 3:43 [5:59]. I hadn't planned on this. Just two miles to go and on the Garmin I'm travelling at sub 30 pace. Stay calm.

Mile 4 - 5:52

Despite this logging as my fastest mile (it didn't feel like it) things were starting to get tough now. We head into Saint Anne's. I continue to overtake and don't recall anyone overtaking me. We turn onto the main avenue in the Park and start ascending.

This I think is the toughest part of the race. Runners ahead are coming down the other side of the avenue and I so wish I was on that descent. I spot Catherina McKiernan descending. I glanced at the Garmin early on this ascent and saw 3:41 [5:56] showing! Now I do dare to think that if I can sustain this, sub 30 might actually be on. I push these giddy thoughts out of my head and focus on the task at hand. Eyes scan ahead and finally I can see the u-turn that will bring us back down the avenue. I take the turn wide and lose a little momentum. Now keep the effort honest on the descent. We pass the 4 mile marker.

Mile 5 - 6:01

The 13th place female is up ahead of me. I start to use her as a marker of sorts. Her stride looks comfortable. She gets quite a few shouts of encouragement, people telling her her position, how far the next female is ahead and so on. Before I know it we're swinging right off the avenue and we're heading up another incline on our exit of the park. I overtake F13. I'm tiring now though and I'm anxious to know how much further there is to go. I try a few surges but ease off each time. Is this the last bend, is it the next one? I can hear the crowd and the PA near the finishing line, but still no visual. I check the Garmin for overall time, not pace, and I see 28:XX showing.

F13 overtakes me. I don't try overtake but I do try match her pace and not let her pull way. But she is finishing stronger than I am and she does continue to pull slowly away. Another corner and through the trees I can see the finishing straight on the opposite side of the green. Two more corners. But soon I hear a roar from near the finish. My gut tells me that that was to encourage runners home in under 30. I'm not going to make it. Ah well, still let's finish strong. Swing around the top of the green and onto the finishing straight. See 30:4X showing on timer.

Kick for the line and I do finish strong.

On my watch 30:28. Gold, but not official yet.

Post Race

Mixed emotions but mostly positive. My official chip time would be confirmed as 30:26. I hit gold but the Garmin had tricked me into thinking I was on for greater things. It shows me covering a huge 5.13 miles at an average pace of 3:41 [5:56]. I would have been over the moon if I had been told I'd run 3:41 pace before the race. Instead I've just grabbed gold.

For sure I ran a poor racing line over the first mile. Along with the congestion, the cars parked on the road ensured it was impossible to run corner to corner. But 0.13 of a mile is a big difference, I suspect maybe trees in the park may have upset the gps. Or maybe carrying the watch around my fingers rather than on my wrist is to blame? Need a new watch anyway so this has added extra incentive to purchase.

But overall I take lots of positives away from this:
    • A new PB, taking 1:22 off my previous best.
    • My best ever VDOT performance with a score of 54.7.
    • A McMillan predicted marathon time of 2:58.50, not bad on the start of my 22 month long term conservative plan to hitting sub 3:00 in DCM18.
    • I felt in control while racing, I wasn't desperately hanging on. Legs felt good, stride and form felt fluid throughout and never really turned sloppy.
    • I take a lot of confidence from this. I definitely need to find a 10K over the next month or two. After Blessington last September (38:38), a 37:XX seemed a long way away. Now instead I'd put money on myself getting a 37:XX.

Back in the changing area I met yaboya and another runner I know from Cork. Yaboya ran a 30:02 and was clearly really buoyed by this. Grabbed a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits before dashing off to catch the bus.

All in all a great start to the year and concrete evidence of the improvement I could tell I was making in training.

On Garmin:

M1 in 5:59.32 [3:43]
    M2 in 6:02.28 [3:45]
    M3 in 5:54.02 [3:40]
    M4 in 5:51.88 [3:39]
    M5 in 6:01.04 [3:44]

Total 5.13M @ 5:56 [8.26K @ 3:41]

Official Chip Time 30:26.
    P226 of 3311 finishers, or 7th in a race of 100.

• Advertisement

Brilliant. You,ve done alot of hard work last few years to be in this shape. Its only january, and the Sub 18, Sub 30, and Sub 3 will be looking over their shoulders !!! Yes i reckon holding watch in fingers may have something to with the .13 also poss trees. Crowded starts can be v frustrating. Lucky you moved up a bit closer before the start. Enjoy a few recovery runs. Well deserved.

Advertisement