Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 4 Races for 4 PBs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

so... a few days out.......what's your gold, silver and bronze?
    best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Hoping you get the desired result - best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

so... a few days out.......what's your gold, silver and bronze?
    best of luck.

Thanks. Not the greateat final week.

Platinum <= 3:08:59
    Gold = 3:09:XX
    Silver = 3:10:XX
    Bronze = 3:11:XX
    Consolation < 3:13:42
    Hoping you get the desired result - best of luck.

Thanks. Lap of the Running Gods now. Hope I've done enough.

Simple strategy - keep 3:10 pacers in sight until 22. Then see if I can ease past.

DCM19 - Final Runs

Final week unravelled a little. Wanted to do 3K @ MP on Wednesday evening but had a load of personal admin to get through after work and was meeting a mate in the evening.

No running Thursday as I headed home from Athlone late.

4+ Miles with 2K @ MP

Did manage 4 and a half miles Friday afternoon. Ran from office to town along the Greenway and back via Killyon Hill and Cartrontroy Road. I included 2K at MP along here. Felt ok but not as ok as I would have liked. I reckon 2 days without running meant the legs felt a little rusty.

4.57M @ 7:52, with 1.24M @ 7:12.

Easy Expo Commute

Probably ran more miles on Saturday than I should have, but I kept the effort easy. Gorgeous weather as I run from home along the canal and cut across to the RDS via Herbert Park. Pick up my number (2260) and pick up my PowerBar Gels. Busy Expo but I'm not in the mood to browze nor purchase. Bag is heavy and I'm not looking forward to the run back home. Concerned about the miles and right arm is out of action as it is used to keep luggage from bouncing about. Legs are ok. Would have liked a little more bounce, at least on the outward leg.

Out 4.27M @ 8:34
    Back 4.52M @ 8:49

That's it. Feeling someway confident.

(Race report will go up tomorrow)

Main meals on Saturday:
    • breakfast - homemade hashbrowns baked with eggs
    • dinner - homemade red thai curry (pad-choi, peas, courgettes, scallions) with white basmati rice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

great to meet you yesterday, looking forward to the report!

• Advertisement

Been tipping away at the report during the day but I'm only at K16. Don't want to post it piece-meal so it'll be another while before I post.

Home to Start-Line

This part didn’t quite go to plan.

I thought I had everything planned to a tee. Leave home 7:30, stroll into town for 8:15, drop bag and find 3:10 balloons before the 8:45 start. Then at 7:30 just before heading out, I read that the orange wave baggage area closes at 8:00. What!? Pressure on.

I probably should have cycled but the thought didn’t cross my mind. Nearest bus stop reads ‘No Real-Time-Info due to Marathon’, but gives no indication of whether there are any buses running. I cannot afford to wait to find out. One hour before race start I head down to Heuston to get some cash and a taxi. The cash part is a success but the taxi rank is empty. I wonder will I be able to run in a later wave? I head back up to Jame’s Street, hoping to find a passing bus or taxi.

Then my White Knight arrives. Taxi pulls in, driver asks am I running the marathon, and when I say yes, he says hop-in. He is also running, as is his passenger up front, and he’s ready to pick up any other late arrivals along the way. Free trip to Stephen’s Green. Thank you so much, hope you get your time.

Pressure off I walk to Government Buildings, dropping my bag at 8:10. I work my way toward the start area. Long queue for portaloo. With about 8 mins to go I can finally try to work my way up to the 3:10 balloons. However like in 2017, I can only get as far as 100m behind the 3:20 balloons.
    I don’t mind too much, tell myself to get to bed earlier and out of the house earlier next time. I didn’t want to start too fast anyway so this should help with that. Problem is that my plan of keeping the 3:10 balloons in sight may no longer be feasible, they’ll be too far up the road.

Weather could not possibly be better, cloudless skies and bright sunshine. Chilly, so I have gloves on and will ditch them somewhere along the road. Take a pre-race gel and I carry 6 more with me to consume every 4 miles. Target pace for the first half will be 4:29 [7:12] or 4:30 [7:14] on the Garmin, and then for the second half 4:28 [7:11] or 4:29 [7:12]. The legs definitely have the speed, but do they have the endurance?

Strangely I had more nerves ahead of Cork-to-Cobh 3 weeks ago than I had Sunday morning while we wait for the off. Feeling too casual. My expectations are not hugely high. I think if you asked me how the race would pan out I would have said there’ll be the familiar fade somewhere around 20 but I might just have enough to hang on for the 3:09. Probably not the best attitude to have on the start-line. Then, without too much fanfare, we are off.

01K to 05K in 22:42 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:11:36)

Congestion. Mad congestion. I don't mind too much and I don't panic. There will be plenty time to get back on pace. For now it's all about watching out for street furniture and heels and hoping whoever is behind me is doing the same.

I don't look at the Garmin there’s no point. I just try to slowly weave my way forward toward the 3:20 balloons. This is not very easy to do. Hugging kerbs, running wide, accelerate, brake, weave. K1, K2 and K4 were significantly slower than target pace, K3 and K5 were significantly faster. Over the first few K I felt strangely detached from the race, face was a little numb from the cold and I felt a bit 'muffled'. Not travelling immediately at MP made me feel I wasn't properly racing. Hoped this sensation would pass and thankfully it did. I only ease past the 3:20 pack shortly before the turn onto the NCR and only then can I start to concentrate on finding a steady rhythm.

05K to 10K in 22:10 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:09:19)

I find much more space in front of the 3:20 group. Congestion all of a sudden is no longer a problem. Into the Park and onto familiar territory. First gel at 4 miles. I still have gloves on so this is a little trickier to manage than normal. As always though I enjoy the distraction of this task. Turn onto Chesterfield. Time to pick out some vests. I note a Trim runner 10ms ahead. And there's a Bohermeen runner close by. Also two guys in R26 tops. Lets see how our relationship develops. Then up ahead, a long way up ahead, I see a green 3"10 balloon. Probably 500ms away, but in sight. For the first time I start to pay attention to the Garmin. I see 4:30 [7:14] become 4:29 [7:12] and tell myself to be careful. It's early early days and you're climbing. I'm carrying my own 500ml water bottle so need to use the water stations. Exit the Castleknock Gate and soon there will be the first official split of the morning. I cross the 10K mat and see 45:XX on the Garmin. Spot on. Congestion navigated, pace on track. Time to settle in.

11K to 15K in 22:15 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:08:53)

I love the corner at Myo's. The crowd the music the end (almost) of the incline. Little shivers up the back and onto the scalp. Cannot help but smile. Cannot help but try look strong for the crowd. Then College Road and it's quiet again. Just footfall to listen to and the occasional clap from solo scattered spectators. Enjoy the descent down Tower Road. Some runners I think push here and I'm overtaken more than overtaking. I try hold pace steady so my effort drops. We turn back into the park at Knockmaroon and head for the 8 mile marker. How do I feel? Mostly ok. The only negative is the usual worry about how I will feel later on. I need to try focus on the moment and enjoy feeling ok. As we drop down Upper Glen one runner says to me that you got to love this stretch from Castleknock, that it's like 2 free miles. I wonder if maybe my legs, come Mount Street Lower, will be fooled into thinking I've only done 24 miles not 26.

16K to 20K in 22:22 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:08:38)

Exit at Chapelizod Gate and pass Donore. Over the Liffey and we turn left to tackle what in my mind is the first proper test of the day. The climb up Sarsfield Road. The climb goes fine. Checking the Garmin the average pace is holding steady at 4:28 [7:12] Some others are breathing heavy. My breathing is fine. Another climb from the rail bridge up to Inchicore Road. Heading into home territory along here so time to look fresh and spritely. I swap places a few times with the Bohermeen vest, and the Trim vest is always a few metres up the road. These two are surely also targeting sub 3:10. Kilmainham is busy, loud support here and I get a few shout-outs from neighbours and friends. Onto SCR. Way down at the other end of SCR I can see one of the 3:10 balloons. Take gel number 3, happy that the gel belt is feeling lighter. I still feel ok. Over the 20K mat with 1:30:XX showing on the Garmin. Anybody tracking is seeing consistent and on track splits.

21K to 25K in 22:21 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:08:46)

Head through a loud Dolphins’ Barn and turn onto my least favourite stretch of the course, the dreary drag out along the Crumlin Road. This is the only part of the course where I remember having a breeze to deal with. Nothing strong, but I remember tucking in behind a group of 3 or 4 runners here. Pass over the half-way mat, my HM split is recorded as 1:34:39. Maybe just a little too quick. I see 4:29 [7:12] pace holding steady on the Garmin. I’m anxious now not to see average pace drop to 4:30 [7:14]. Ideally I want to see it move to 4:28 [7:11] and try hold it there. I tell myself to stay sharp now and not ease off. Legs are feeling a little tired, nothing terrible, nothing to cause too much concern. I think I feel better at this point than I did back in 2017.

26K to 30K in 21:58 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:08:12)

These 5K are all run faster than target pace. The road profile is slightly downhill. K26 is run at 4:19 [6:57] pace. Probably too fast. I reckon along here I should have been trying to hold steady instead of the gentle push that the splits reveal. I know that the legs are starting to feel more tired and in a way I think pushing slightly was an attempt to deny this.

Along here I found myself running behind 4 Omagh vests. They are running in a diamond formation and I reckon they must be targeting sub 3:10. I allow myself be dragged along by these for a while and then after maybe 1500m I find I’ve overtaken them. Not sure if I sped up or if they slowed down. In hindsight it might have been better to have stayed behind this group for a while longer. I’m anxious to get to the 30K mat so that I can focus properly on the final 10K stretch. I go over the mat in 2:14:XX on the Garmin. Again I’m very aware that from the outside looking in, these splits are looking really good. But there’s a nagging realisation that I no longer feel as good as the splits might suggest. There’s a long way to go yet.

31K to 35K in 22:30 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:08:27)

I continue to run in denial. K31 is a speedy 4:17 [6:54], my fastest since K5, admittedly it has a nice downhill drop to the Dodder in Milltown. K32 and K33 are also both ahead of target pace and for these 3K I see 4:27 [7:10] as average pace on the Garmin. After 33K I was, on the Garmin, running a 3:07:49 marathon. Mixed emotions, I was feeling at my worst since the race began but travelling at my fastest. I knew that soon the splits would start to reflect how I was feeling, this 4:27 pace was illusory. I get a shout-out here from Mr and Mrs overpronator. I knew they’d seen me before I’d seen them so there was no pretence on my face. I was convinced that their comments to each other after I passed were along the lines of, ‘He’s f@#ked’. Chatting over post-race drinks they confirmed I was right. I pass the 20 mile marker a worried man. Take my 5th gel.

I turn onto Clonskeagh Road and boom, fatigue in the legs, and some despair setting in, the splits start to collapse. K34 and K35 are both 4:42s [7:34s]. I remember seeing 2hrs 30mins on the Garmin and thinking I cannot survive another 40 mins of this. Just like in 2017 it’s here by Beaver Row that I accept my target is probably gone.

36K to 40K in 23:02 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:09:11)

The collapse is not as dramatic as I’d feared. I manage to rally a little and slow the decline. I realise I still have my gloves on. I take them off and the fresh air on my hands feels like a liberation. I see that there is Lucozade at the next table and I take a risk and grab a cup. Drink some and hope my stomach doesn’t object. Maybe it was in the head but I did feel for a minute or two that I was energized again.

Fatigue was still heavy heavy in the legs but I seemed to learn how to ignore it. Heartbreak Hill was navigated without too much pain. I’m suffering but I’m overtaking runners, including Trim I think, that are suffering more than I am. This gives me a boost. The downhill to the Stillorgan Road is also very welcome.

A Watergrasshill vest overtakes me and I manage to up the pace briefly to stay with her. When I check the Garmin the average pace is still showing at 4:28 [3:12]. Could this still be on? Could this be just a wobble that I am going to recover from. The hope triggers some adrenaline and I manage to fight a while longer. The fight continues along Nutley Lane but then the spark finally goes out when we turn onto Merrion Road and onto the home straight. K40 logs as a 4:50 [7:47].

I’m not dreadfully disappointed, I’m surprised I managed to fight as long as I did. I’m aware that anyone still following on the tracker will see an on target split for 40K, but they won’t have seen the 4:50, and they won’t know that the legs are shot, that my footfall is flat and that the tank is running on fumes.

41K to 42K in 10:04 (estimated finish time by Garmin 3:10:18)

The crowds are great here. I appreciate the support but it just cannot inspire more heroics in the legs. I’m just trying to hold the decline at bay as much as possible and I’m desperate now for the end to arrive. Bohermeen passes me, as do 2 of the Omagh quartet.

I notice I’m carrying a new bottle of water, I ditch it by a bin, less grams to carry. This helps, form feels a little smoother. Trying to figure out if I’ll manage a PB or not. I think I will, but I don’t trust my calculations anymore. I’m running through cement.

Somewhere along Northumberland Road I miss my 3:09:XX target. I miss it by one road! Mount Street Lower was just one road too far. I can see the bridge by the School House and I know that soon the pain will be over. I’m so looking forward to stopping. Over the bridge and the finish line still seems so far away. For a moment or two it feels as if I’m the only person running along this final road, I feel as if I am the sole point of focus for the spectators on either side. Glancing at the Garmin I know that a new PB is safe. Finally the blue carpet. Up ahead someone is being carried over the finish.

I pass over the line in 3:11:18 on the Garmin. This would later be confirmed as my official finishing time. Almost 2 and a half minutes quicker than in 2017.

Finish Line to Toners

The medal feels heavy over around my neck. I keep walking, waiting for the body to cave in, but it doesn’t. Help another runner to stretch out cramp that was crippling him, hoping I wouldn’t cramp while doing so. Meet some other runners I know including a good group from Donore, all smiling, all ran well. Collect baggage and wander with scotindublin (great running) to Toner’s to change, spray deodorant, drink some civil pints and discuss all things running with the rest of the Donore Gang, plus the overpronators and IvoryTower. Nice afternoon after a good morning.

I’ll post up my post-race thoughts and analysis in the next day or two.

• DCM 2019 – Official Time 3:11:18 PB
    • Pos 1262 of 17725 finishers (or 8th in a race of 100)
    • Almost 9 mins ahead of BQ 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Good honest report Donal, your recollection of the details is astounding. Well done on the PB.
    Running so many miles to and from the expo and the stress of the lateness on the morning probably had some part to play, I guess your analysis will mention this.
    I hope you don't take offence to me saying if you applied the same meticulous approach to the non running part of the marathon as you do to the training you may have well exceeded your platinum target.
    Well done again and there is plenty more to come off that PB .

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Excellent. Great report. I can see why you may be disappointed but I've no doubt there's a sub 3 in you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Well battled to the end and congrats on the PB. Super report too.

• Advertisement

Love the detail that you go into - a super race and a super report.

You come across downbeat about the result - a PB in the marathon is fantastic.

A more measured approach in the middle and you've had got the gold medal 3.09.59 - but dont take away from a great performance - you went for it, on a different day the running Gods would have given it to you.

With around 5K remaining in DCM19 and with further fatigue filling my legs with each stride, I told myself that I am crazy to even entertain thoughts of ever going sub 3:00. But come that Sunday evening I was already willing to accept that maybe it’s not yet impossible. I do need to change something though and I need to try trigger some significant progress. This was the 10th marathon I’ve raced, progress has been slow but steady, I went through a period where I could not break 3:30. Now I find myself unable after 3 attempts to break 3:10.

Sub 3:00 is, in my mind, at least 2 marathons away. I’m not going to obsess about sub 3:00 now. To borrow from football, my focus remains on the next match, which is sub 3:10. Win the sub 3:10 match and then I can focus on the final, with how well I break sub 3:10 feeding my confidence accordingly.

I came really close this time, I missed my target on Northumberland Road, within earshot of the finishing line. I don’t need to tweak much to go sub 3:10. But I want to do it feeling like I did when I went sub 3:20 back in 2015, I don’t want to feel like I scraped over the line, I want to do it feeling in control over the closing kilometres and not fading fast. I think there are three things I could do to ensure that next time out I will achieve this.

Increase the Mileage
    If I’m going to continue targeting marathons then I need to increase my mileage. I’m simply not running enough miles. Excluding race-week, for the 16 weeks of training ahead of DCM19, I averaged only 42 miles a week. I broke 50 miles on only three weeks. And my highest mileage week was 52 miles. Not enough. I think I did well to hit 3:11 on this mileage. If I had run an average of even 50 miles a week instead of 42 miles, I think I would have gone sub 3:10. For 2020 I want to target 50 miles a week rather than 40. And during the marathon specific block I need to string some 60 mile weeks together during peak training.

Run Longer
    For DCM I ticked the marathon-pace long-run box. But I don’t think I properly ticked the time-on-my-feet box. Only once did I spend 3 hours on the road. On that run I went over 22 miles and could I feel the fatigue kicking in over the last 20 minutes. I think I need to run these 3 hour runs more often and hopefully start delaying that feeling of fatigue. Maybe then on race-day, if that fatigue kicks-in, it’ll do so around miles 24 and 25, rather than around miles 21 and 22. I think it is realistic to target one 3 hour run every month in 2020, or at least 2 every 3 months.

Join a Club
    I’ve toyed with this idea for sometime now and I do think it’s time to bite the bullet. I’d sign up with Donore. I already run at least once a month with them on Sunday mornings. If I was to run sessions with them even just once a week I think having someone to chase and having people on my shoulder would inject extra sharpness and speed into the legs. Building confidence and ensuring marathon pace feels that much easier.

Coming so close this time has made me eager to try again, and has made me enthusiastic to try implement the above changes. I availed of the priority entry at the weekend and have signed up for DCM20. The other marathon that could tempt me is the Milan marathon but probably not next year.

The other thing I need to remind myself of every so often is that I tore my hamstring in March. This makes this year’s marathon PB very welcome. Back in April and May I was starting to doubt whether or not I would even make the start-line.

For the record, this is how I’ve taken 40 minutes off my marathon time:

3:51 CCM10
    3:41 CCM11
    3:40 CCM12
    3:41 DCM12
    3:39 CCM13
    3:24 CCM14
    3:18 CCM15
    3:13 CCM16
    3:13 DCM17
    3:11 DCM19

Easy 6 miles

Back on the road. Laced up last Saturday after 5 days of no running and an unpoliced diet. Miserable wet conditions outside but I was lucky to get out when I did and avoid the monsoon that rolled in later in the afternoon.
    Ran from home to the Park, in at Parkgate and up the footpath along Chesterfield. All shades of autumn yellow and orange on display. The legs feel mostly ok. I can feel the hammer slightly (it didn’t protest at all during or in the days after the marathon) and every so often some other muscle or joint would twinge for a stride or two. Felt good to be back out running though.

Total 6.42M @ 8:28

Easy 3 Miles

Combined shopping and running on Sunday morning. A relaxed jog into town. Pick up some groceries. A relaxed jog back home. Not too much traffic around so streets were easy to navigate. Legs felt better than yesterday and I was treated to some sunshine on the return leg. Distances can be deceptive at times: hard to believe that from home to Exchequer Street is the same distance as a lap of the playing fields, for me the former feels much longer.

1.62M @ 8:43
    1.66M @ 8:27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Really great race report and although our respective finishing times were some distance apart, I could easily identify with a lot if what you experienced on the day.
    Well done on the PB too!

I'd agree with you on the mileage - I think peaking at 70'ish is needed (peaking not ave).

If you peaked at 52m and had a 22m run in there then that 1 run accounted for 42% of your weeks total.

Having a more structured plan would no doubt help you balance between;

Mileage
    Easy long runs
    Long runs with stuff
    Mid week sessions.

wowzer wrote: »
    Good honest report Donal, your recollection of the details is astounding. Well done on the PB.
    Running so many miles to and from the expo and the stress of the lateness on the morning probably had some part to play, I guess your analysis will mention this.
    I hope you don't take offence to me saying if you applied the same meticulous approach to the non running part of the marathon as you do to the training you may have well exceeded your platinum target.
    Well done again and there is plenty more to come off that PB .

Thanks, zero offence taken. Good to hear from you haven't crossed paths in a while.

The extra miles the day before DCM is something I will avoid for sure next time round. I had in my head that it was just a quick trip along the canal and back! And the rushed start on raceday certainly didn't help me ease into the right mental zone ahead of the off. You're right about the non training elements, time after time I promise I'll properly manage diet, sleep, core, etc and I never do. Will shortly be changing work so hopefully the new routine might help with this.
    Excellent. Great report. I can see why you may be disappointed but I've no doubt there's a sub 3 in you.

Thanks. I have some doubt in me about a sub 3. But it won't stop be from trying. Disappointment has been replaced with resolve.
    Singer wrote: »
    Well battled to the end and congrats on the PB. Super report too.

Thanks Singer. Plaudits need to go in your direction though. For me your run was genuinely inspirational. Brilliant performance and deserved result.
    Love the detail that you go into - a super race and a super report.

You come across downbeat about the result - a PB in the marathon is fantastic.

A more measured approach in the middle and you've had got the gold medal 3.09.59 - but dont take away from a great performance - you went for it, on a different day the running Gods would have given it to you.

Thanks. I think you could be right about the middle section, at one point I was dipping into 6:5X pace. Even though in any given moment across the 26.2 miles it may not feel that way, the race still comes down to fine margins. Probably sounded downbeat because I've seen this raceday script unfold so many times now, 9 out of 10 marathons.
    coogy wrote: »
    Really great race report and although our respective finishing times were some distance apart, I could easily identify with a lot if what you experienced on the day.
    Well done on the PB too!

Thanks. I popped across to read and enjoyed your own report. So much so that I went and read your 2018 report as well. It brings a lot of context to your 2019 performance and shows how brave and accomplished your 2019 run was. You will go sub 3:30. I'd bet you'll do it on your next attempt. Enjoy the journey.
    I'd agree with you on the mileage - I think peaking at 70'ish is needed (peaking not ave).

If you peaked at 52m and had a 22m run in there then that 1 run accounted for 42% of your weeks total.

Having a more structured plan would no doubt help you balance between;

Mileage
    Easy long runs
    Long runs with stuff
    Mid week sessions.

Always happy to hear your feedback. That 22miler was on a 50 point something mile week so even higher than 42% (and it was one of only 4 runs that week). Hands up, this marathon block was not run off a scheduled plan, I made it up as I went along. More stucture and more miles next time out. Do you mention a 70 mile peak period with sub 3:00 in mind or with sub 3:10 in mind. Or is it irrespective of target time? I'd be really pleased to average 50 to 55 and peak 60 to 65 and see how that influences race day performance.

Next

So the post DCM luxury of not running if I don't feel like it is starting to wane. Day-tripping today and decided I'd like to travel light so left the running gear at home. Now with blue skies outside I feel an itch to run and guilt, a lot of guilt.

The post marathon holiday is over. Time to get back on the road. Thoughts turning towards 2020.

I think first target will be Raheny, scene this year of my proudest race result. It will be a hard task to try PB (<29:56) but I'm going to give it a shot. Even if I don't PB the training block should stand to me. Focus after Raheny will be on a sub 85 HM in Cork in June (hoping to avoid a hat-trick of DNSs). And then sub 3:10 take 3.

Back of a beermat thoughts for Raheny listed below. Will flesh these out shortly. I have 11 weeks to play with. A 10 week training block with a race week taper. I've always liked to have freedom to build my own plan and have been wary about joining a club for this reason. I guess I can just include 'club session' as a component in my own plans?
    • Next Week: 40 miles plus a 4M Tempo
    • Last 2 Weeks of November: 45 Miles plus re-introduce 400m sessions
    • December: 45 mile weeks, more 400s and/or 2 see-what-they're-like sessions with Donore.
    • January: 50 mile weeks, Parkrun TT and 1M TT on my usual 1M TT route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Just to Alan's point about 70 miles, I think its spot on as a benchmark. You've enough data points now to know now that your sole issue is the extra little bit of endurance, the speed is there. Think there is nothing wrong with looking to peak in the high 60s or low 70s for your next crack, irrespective of target. (Should be sub 3 btw!!)

I'd say you should probably also look to race a bit more over 5k/10k in the 6 months before you start the marathon block, maybe once a month or 6 weeks. It gives you that little edge mentally, especially when you bang out some solid times. Now whilst I didnt do a marathon, one of my goals for this year was to race once a month where possible and aside from the stuff I mentioned, its just been really enjoyable!

Hopefully catch up for a few miles over the next few weeks.

Just to Alan's point about 70 miles, I think its spot on as a benchmark. You've enough data points now to know now that your sole issue is the extra little bit of endurance, the speed is there. Think there is nothing wrong with looking to peak in the high 60s or low 70s for your next crack, irrespective of target. (Should be sub 3 btw!!)

I'd say you should probably also look to race a bit more over 5k/10k in the 6 months before you start the marathon block, maybe once a month or 6 weeks. It gives you that little edge mentally, especially when you bang out some solid times. Now whilst I didnt do a marathon, one of my goals for this year was to race once a month where possible and aside from the stuff I mentioned, its just been really enjoyable!

Hopefully catch up for a few miles over the next few weeks.

God high 60s low 70s. Domestically I'd have to somehow hide them. Runmutes would help. And of course it's just peak. Yeah between Raheny and Cork HM, I'd aim to target some 5Ks and/or 10Ks. Getting race fit mentally and physically and working to make HM pace more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Good to see you are enjoying the break D and getting some solid advice from everyone on here; plenty of positives to take especially coming from where you were at the beginning of the year with the hammer injury.

A proper block of structured training for DCM20 and I have absolutely no doubt there is a sub 3hr in there.

Hopefully see you down at Donore for a few sessions; there is a void to be filled in the group now that Overpronator has moved on to bigger and better things!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Here's a plan for 2020. Go all in on the club, run more, SHOW UP WITH PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE THE MARATHON and break 3:00 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Have you considered motivational speaking B?
    Here's a plan for 2020. Go all in on the club, run more, SHOW UP WITH PLENTY OF TIME BEFORE THE MARATHON and break 3:00 :)

Good to see you are enjoying the break D and getting some solid advice from everyone on here; plenty of positives to take especially coming from where you were at the beginning of the year with the hammer injury.

A proper block of structured training for DCM20 and I have absolutely no doubt there is a sub 3hr in there.

Hopefully see you down at Donore for a few sessions; there is a void to be filled in the group now that Overpronator has moved on to bigger and better things!

Thanks C. Yeah plan on joining in for a couple of midweek sessions in December and will probably bite the bullet for the new year and sign up. Want to get two solo speed sessions done first so I don't turn up completely cold.

Sounds too complicated ;)

Last Week

Second and final take-it-easy week after DCM. Just ran twice.

Easy 4.02M @ 8:34

On Thursday evening I ran what is likely to be my final Athlone run. After work ran to mate's house for dinner. Bag on back and showered at his. Forgot to press start at the outset so lost about half a mile. Bit sad to be saying goodbye to my Athlone routes; Cartrontroy, Retreat, Golden Mile along the Shannon, the Old Rail Line, the IDA park the pitches and track at AIT, and others. They served me well over the last 4 and a bit years.

Easy 4.58 @ 8:40

Saturday morning, nothing planned, wet and mucky out. Take out the Dynafits and head to the Park for some muddy trails. Quite a few others had the same idea and it's busy on the trails. Didn't stay out too long. Long enough to happily note that the legs feel good, even had a bit of bounce in them.

Easy 2 Hour Cycle

Last Sunday for a while where I don't have a long run planned so I opted for something different. Got the bike out and revisited 20M of the DCM course. Crisp and chilly. Glad I wore gloves, should also have worn a second pair of socks. Enjoy the novelty of cycling around town and observing the course without any pain. Marathons are long! It seems to last forever. I get a better feel for the course profile on the bike. Was stuck for time so couldn't do the full 26.2 but I might try fit it in over the next week or so, I have a handful of days off. Also gave me even more reason to be blown away by Kipchoge's recent feat.

Raheny 2020 Week 1

This week saw me return to training. 10 weeks of work and one week of taper. Nothing too strenuous to start with as I'm sure DCM is still working its way out of my system.

Easy 4.16M @ 8:17

An easy lunchtime run last Monday to open my Raheny account. Windy outside. Legs are ok. Not as much bounce as on Saturday, probably due to Sunday's cycle.

MLR 14.23M @ 7:53

Had Tuesday off. Dropped Junior Outforarun to school and set off on a midweek MLR. Felt like exploring. Headed for the Quays before turning up towards Phibsboro and Glasnevin. Used work in Dublin Industrial Estate 12 years ago so ran past old office. The ran River Road to work my way round to Ashtown. I won't be running here again, narrow country road used by hurried drivers looking for a shortcut. Far too bendy and dangerous. Canal to Castleknock then Whites Road back into the Park. Take in Chapelizod Hill on way back home. Legs a bit heavy for most of this one, but pace was faster than it felt which is always a positive.

Tempo 4 Miles

Ok this was the proper return to training and it felt like it. Had yesterday off so another school-drop and run. Back to the park and I warm up until the North-Road, Chesterfield, Phoenix loop. 4 miles of tempo is a little over 2 laps of this loop. Legs had felt heavy, cold and numb on warm-up and didn't feel much better at tempo pace. Felt like a train getting up to speed. Probably have put on some kilos in the last 2 and a bit weeks, felt sluggish and no responsiveness in the legs. But I got it done all the same. Felt closer to race pace than tempo pace. Happy to tick this one off. Will repeat next week, where hopefully it'll feel a little less demanding.

8.86M @ 7:32 with 4.00M @ 6:22

Easy 3 Miles

Popped out earlier this evening for an easy 3 miler. I want to try maintain consistency and run at least 5 days a week. Was on single-dad duty most of today so only got out in the evening. Cold outside. Two pairs of gloves, wore a jacket and kept hood up for this. Legs felt fine as I tip around a lap of the neighbourhood, Kilmainham - Inchicore - SCR - Heuston - Kilmainham.

3.39M @ 8:46

Long Run 16 Miles

Bit of a busy week as I work my last few days for current company. Need to catch-up on here.

First week of Raheny training ended last Sunday with a 16 miler with overpronator and the Donore crew. Double gloved on a crisp November morning. Lots of 'what's next for you?' type discussions as we tip around the usual route. As the sun rises it becomes a perfect morning for running. Seems like all the DCM runners are back out in force again, lots of groups around. The legs feel mostly ok maybe felt I was travelling a little faster than I actually was. Longest run since DCM, no hint of fade at the end.

The last few miles it's just overpronator and I. Discussing 2020 goals. I think I need to resurrect mine from the start of this year: at least 2 from a 17:XX 5K, a 37:XX 10K, a sub 85 HM and an in control sub 3:10 in DCM20 and I won't be unhappy with 2020.

Total 16.43M @ 7:49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

is that a 1min pb in the marathon? Get out of it

Easy 5 Miles

Second week in and first hurdle to navigate, a head-cold. Mostly in the head but threatening to get to the chest a bit. Feel a bit muffled. I get out Tuesday evening for a simple, well wrapped up 5 miler around my doorstep 5 mile route. I had planned on running a 10x400 session tonight but opted against it, prefering to postpone to later in the week when hopefully I feel better. Legs at least feel ok.

Total 5.03M @ 8:24

5x400 + 2M Tempo

Wondered if 10x400 on Thursday morning followed by a 4M Tempo on Saturday morning would be too much too close together. Idea occured to me to 'join' the sessions together, run just 5x400 and run just 2M tempo. Do this both Thursday and Saturday. On paper this seemed very palatable.

On paper and on the North Road - Chesterfield - Phoenix loop are two very different things. Ran this yesterday morning and it was tough. I have to acknowledge though that I am sicker than I thought. Effort was high. I probably hacked and spat out the weight of a small mouse on this session. It was been a long time since I ran 400s. These were testing. I wasn't checking the splits but was running at what I hoped was sub 85 second pace. These are off a minute's recovery, less generous than the lazy 65 seconds 200m recovery on the track. The loop is designed for this session I start and finish at the bollards by the Phoenix.
    I was so thankful that the last 400 was mostly downhill. These were tough, I have a lot of work to do to come anywhere close to PBing in Raheny.

Only 60secs between the 400s and the 2M tempo. The first mile of the tempo feels good. I need to put the brakes on after the 400s. But the second mile of the tempo lap quickly becomes tricky. Legs tiring. Even running the last stretch downhill doesn't provide much relief. Very happy to finish this, back at bollards. One lap for the 400s, one lap tempo, perfect loop for the session.

Tired legs on my cool down home. Really not sure I'll run this again on Saturday.

Average 400 was in the 84s
    Average Tempo pace was 6:22, covering 2M in 12:45, exactly same pace as last week's 4M Tempo.

• Advertisement

IvoryTower wrote: »
    is that a 1min pb in the marathon? Get out of it

At least 2 😉

My my standards (1 second PB in 2017) thats huge

Too soon though to set a marathon target. Get Cork HM under my belt first.

Advertisement