Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low voltage ram

Options
  • 24-10-2010 8:14pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have 6gb of OCZ Gold PC3 12800 and I want to add more, however all I can find is the low voltage ones. On my ram it says 1.9v and the low voltage ones are rated at 1.65v. I am currently putting 1.64v into my ram. Will I have an issue mixing these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I have 6gb of OCZ Gold PC3 12800 and I want to add more, however all I can find is the low voltage ones. On my ram it says 1.9v and the low voltage ones are rated at 1.65v. I am currently putting 1.64v into my ram. Will I have an issue mixing these?
    1.65 is not low voltage. Anything under the official supply voltage of 1.5v is low-voltage. 1.9 is very high for ddr3

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Might be best ask OCZ
    http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

1.65 is not low voltage. Anything under the official supply voltage of 1.5v is low-voltage. 1.9 is very high for ddr3

I would take the term to to mean any performance RAM that can run to its fully rated speeds @1.65V to be 'low voltage' (Not that the term really means anything :)). The term 'low voltage' only really began to appeared at the time of the i7 launch, because of the intel recommended 1.65 voltage limit on i7 chips. Although now it has nearly become the de facto standard voltage for DDR3, before that voltages of 1.8 -1.9 + were the most common ones for performance DDR3 modules.

@OP if you are already running the high voltage modules stable @1.64, I would expect the 1.65V modules would most likely blend in just fine, although nothing is ever 100% guaranteed with RAM untill you try in though :). No harm checking for others having success/problems on the OCZ site, as PogMoThoin suggested .

Advertisement