Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help With This Applied Maths Q Anybody?

• 24-10-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Traveling at a speed of 13.0 m/s, the driver of an automobile suddenly locks the wheels by slamming on the brakes. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the tires and the road is 0.620. What is the speed of the automobile after 1.46 s have elapsed? Ignore the effects of air resistance.

Totally lost

Three uniform spheres are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle. Each side of the triangle has a length of 1.41 m. Two of the spheres have a mass of 2.26 kg each. The third sphere (mass unknown) is released from rest. Considering only the gravitational forces that the spheres exert on each other, what is the magnitude of the initial acceleration of the third sphere?

I tried to work out the effect of gravity on the 3rd sphere and then get the resultant force using pythag but had no luck..

If anybody can instruct me as to how to approach these questions I would be incredibly grateful! I'm perplexed!

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement