Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin GPS - Which one is best

Options
  • 24-10-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm on the market for a new GPS as I've just started a new job where I'm on the road traveling from customer to customer. I get address details from the office but more to the point, one of the guys in the office who already has a Garmin Sat Nav, has most of our customers saved in his favorites.

So, couple of questions for all you experts on here who might be kind enough to help me along:
    • Which Garmin Sat Nav is Best?
    • Can I take a backup of my colleagues favorites, and then load them up onto my new Sat Nav?
    • Which Sat Nav offers the best value for money?
    • Is the bluetooth any good on them for phone calls?
    • Any recommendations as to where I can get them for the best prices? Having had a quick look, they seem to vary like hell across the various websites
    • Which sites include the most extras? Particularly I'd like to get one with the Powered dash mount included if possible.
    I have the Nuvi 3790T in mind, as it looks very cool, so I'd love to hear if anyone has any tips on where to buy that one cheap and also if its any good.

Many thanks in advance for you help.

Rgds

Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Doom wrote: »

Cheers mate, however I'm looking for one with Bluetooth and European maps!

Best of luck with the sale.

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Use this Garmin link to narrow down your choices.

Then check out Amazon.co.uk for reviews and prices, they're very competitive, and have free shipping.

mrmac wrote: »
    Use this Garmin link to narrow down your choices.

Then check out Amazon.co.uk for reviews and prices, they're very competitive, and have free shipping.

Hi there,

Thanks a mill for that. Reviews seem great. But it would be ideal if someone on here had one of the cheaper garmin ones and now had the 3790T so they could tell me the differences. I'd really like to know what makes it worth the extra money!

Rgds,

Paul

Has nobody on here got one of these 3790T Models!!!!!????

• Advertisement

One last bump?! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

I've been thinking about getting this model since it was announced on Engadget many months ago

Yesterday I was killing time in Harvey Normans in Naas and spied one at the end of the sat nav display.

Price was a joke, but they're on Amazon for £254 or the slightly cheaper 3760 (sans voice commands) for £230.

The premium live traffic services are not yet available in Ireland although there are plans to launch in the near to distant future. If you drive in the UK or Europe then its easier to justify the price of this device.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Owenw wrote: »
    The premium live traffic services are not yet available in Ireland although there are plans to launch in the near to distant future. If you drive in the UK or Europe then its easier to justify the price of this device.
    Live traffic is available from TomTom. See here for more info. I havn't heard what plans Garmin have, but I would be surprised if they are not playing catch up.

Owenw wrote: »
    I've been thinking about getting this model since it was announced on Engadget many months ago

Yesterday I was killing time in Harvey Normans in Naas and spied one at the end of the sat nav display.

Price was a joke, but they're on Amazon for £254 or the slightly cheaper 3760 (sans voice commands) for £230.

Hi Owenw,

Funny I did the very same and looked at the one in Harveys but like yourself, was shocked at the price!

Anyway I went ahead and got one but went through Expansys. €288 plus delivery and was the cheapest I could find!

I'll write a review of it on here once I get it and get the hang of using it!

Rgds

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

That's a very good price.

I ordered the 3760 from Amazon last saturday.
    Heading over to the UK for christmas so I'll get to try out the traffic services.

I'll be interested in how you get on with the 3790, especially the voice command feature.

EDIT: Sat Nav arrived today. Had a lot of trouble installing the v2.50 firmware update.
    Read more...

• Advertisement
Advertisement