Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noctua NF-P14 fit any 12cm fan space?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭

Ive never used one of these fans and was wondering if anyone knew whether theyd fit into any space that was meant for a 12omm fan. I was planning on throwing 7 of them into a Fractal Designs Define R3 case so that I could have the cooling without the noise. Also seeing as ive never used so many fans before im guessing ill need, say a 6 fan controller and just run the last one straight off the MB. I was looking t a Lamptron Touchscreen for that, anyone know if theyre any use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

I have a few NOCTUA in my R3 its in more detail on this topic:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68227082&postcount=6

I the Define R3 also comes with a twist nob style fan controller for up to 3 fans ideal for controlling the side panel + top cases fans.
    You should also note that the front door and its sound proofing sits plush against the front of the case so if you do go for one of the more exotic fan controllers try to get one with a flat face or one of the slide out panels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Afaik, the P14 is a high pressure generating fan, as in it's designed for heatsinks and the like. The S12B is the one you want for your case fans I think, generates less pressure but is optimized to be a bit quieter than the P series of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

nvus wrote: »
    I have a few NOCTUA in my R3 its in more detail on this topic:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68227082&postcount=6

I the Define R3 also comes with a twist nob style fan controller for up to 3 fans ideal for controlling the side panel + top cases fans.
    You should also note that the front door and its sound proofing sits plush against the front of the case so if you do go for one of the more exotic fan controllers try to get one with a flat face or one of the slide out panels

thanks i was thinking that alright but cheers for the heads up regardless

also does the nh-d14 fit in there perfectly? thats what i was gonna go for but i wasnt sure the case would fit it. some setup you have there!
    Afaik, the P14 is a high pressure generating fan, as in it's designed for heatsinks and the like. The S12B is the one you want for your case fans I think, generates less pressure but is optimized to be a bit quieter than the P series of fans.

not sure thats the case to be honest from all that ive read on them. the only issue i had was that although they say they fit 120mm spaces i didnt know for certain not having one physically available to check

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

indough wrote: »
    not sure thats the case to be honest from all that ive read on them. the only issue i had was that although they say they fit 120mm spaces i didnt know for certain not having one physically available to check

Maybe, I only have the P12's in my system on the cooler so I cant be sure. But the p14 uses a similar 9 blade design as the p12s where the blades are very wide (which is what creates the pressure), and as I'm sure you've seen, here's what Noctua themselves say on the subject of fan choice:
    We principally recommend the NF-S12B for the following applications:
    • Case ventilation (with the exception of very restrictive fan grills, filters or significant obstruction to airflow)
    • CPU coolers with wide fin-spacing
    • Water-cooling radiators with wide fin-spacing
    • All applications where minimum noise emission has first priority
    We principally recommend the NF-P12 for the following applications:
    • CPU coolers with tight fin-spacing
    • Water-cooling radiators with tight fin-spacing
    • Power supplies
    • Storage solutions
    • Cases with very restrictive fan grills and filters
    • All applications with significant obstruction to airflow

Anyway I don't mean to shove this down your throat, just so you know.

I'd imagine looking at the case and the fans spec that the p14s could be used everywhere but perhaps the front intakes. The diameter of the p14 does protrude out a little bit more than a normal 120 fan and the space for front fans look a tight enough fit on the R3, I'm sure nvus could confirm this?

i dont think any of that matters. i can change the speed of the fans if i want ultra quiet operation and use the uln adapters that come with the 14cm fans if i need to. the whole reason im combining them with that case in the first place is so i dont have to compromise on airflow over noise, and the fans ive chosen have the best airflow to noise ratio of any noctua fan according to every review ive read. i dont require completely silent operation at all, just looking to cut down on noise.

• Advertisement

i was originally going for those 12cm ones btw but cant find anywhere with them in stock that sells the fractal case as well. need to cut down shipping costs as much as possible tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 nvus

indough wrote: »
    ...also does the nh-d14 fit in there perfectly?

Yes it does, fits in all fan spots but the exhaust at the rear of the case, although its a tight fit on the front of the case but if you wanted to fit it there just remove the stock case fan & ffan dust filter from the front, n then you can go crazy with all NF-P14 FLX ;)
    I want to go with 2 more NF-P14 FLX for my set up one for the top of the case just over the NH-D14 CPU cooler blowing down fresh air onto the RAM and part of the CPU from above
    Then one NF-P14 FLX for the door side panel blowing in air over the GPU and last I might put my new NF-S12B FLX as an extra exhaust in the top rear moduvent and have all 3 run off the fan controller you get with the case.
    By then I will be able cool my beer in there:rolleyes:

Below is one of those flip out fan controller :eek: and it does it by a touch of a button :) very cool
    XION_ATC001W_White.jpg
    Jimms_LULS-169.FFFFFF.650x400_1.jpg
    http://www.axpertec.com/Product-Thermal-ATC001W.asp

Anyways hope it helps

My STORM-TROOPER

Advertisement