Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel truing

• 24-10-2010 9:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,can anyone recommend someone thats does wheel truing in Waterford,south KK or south Tipp.I have tried doing it myself but made a b##ls of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

smalltalk wrote: »
    Hi,can anyone recommend someone thats does wheel truing in Waterford,south KK or south Tipp.I have tried doing it myself but made a b##ls of it.

How much of a balls of it did you make?
    I'm in South KK btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

@gman, Its a rear wheel and by the time I had finished most of the wobbles had gone but the dishing had been messed up,had to bring it to a lbs to get it sorted out.The bike shop sorted the wheel but it loses its trueness fairly quickly,yesterday I had to open out the rear calipers to stop the brake pads rubbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Try Worlwidecycles in Clonmel,fixed a fairly buckled one for me and it's fine since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

smalltalk wrote: »
    @gman, Its a rear wheel and by the time I had finished most of the wobbles had gone but the dishing had been messed up,had to bring it to a lbs to get it sorted out.The bike shop sorted the wheel but it loses its trueness fairly quickly,yesterday I had to open out the rear calipers to stop the brake pads rubbing.

Tony in Dungarvan would get you sorted also.
    When the wheel gets this bad, it probably needs to be rebuilt entirely, and loctite put on the nipples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

If the spokes are coming loose so quickly then it suggests that they were never tensioned enough in the first place which suggests that the person who worked on the wheel did not know what they were doing (or didn't care to spend the time to do a good job). Anyone can true a wheel, maintaining proper tension on the spokes is the real challenge, and it's not even that much of a challenge to be honest. Bike shops are filled with people who can do the former, but not necessarily the latter.

As for putting loctite on the nipples, personally I believe this is a bad idea but then my experience is limited to wheels that I have built only for myself. If the spokes are tensioned correctly you'll have a good wheel which won't need loctite, if they are not tensioned correctly then loctite will disguise this fact leaving you with a usable but poor quality wheel and that's assuming that the loctite actually holds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement