Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dial-up in Win2k

• 28-11-2004 2:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭

Ok, I have some weird issues in Win2k (new install, sp4 installed, 1st time it's been subjected to the net). I have set up my UTV dial-up connection manually, default options all round, and it does dial ok, connection is slow when it works, but that's a different issue I think.
    Wierdness:

1: When the dial-up box pops up, the saved password is NOT the same as the password that my service uses. There is no user password in windows so it's not picking it up from there. The password it likes to use is about 3 times longer than the actual password, but it works anyway. I've run spybot, ad-aware and 3 virus scanners on it so I'm pretty sure I haven't got a dialler installed anywhere.

2: Opening IE or winMX automatically opens the dialup box, but opening Opera doesn't.

3: It connects ok but then sits there and does nothing! No packets get sent out, and pinging the server yields no results. This did ocassionally happen on Win98 where the connection would get "tired" but restarting windows always fixed it - not anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

1: When the dial-up box pops up, the saved password is NOT the same as the password that my service uses. There is no user password in windows so it's not picking it up from there. The password it likes to use is about 3 times longer than the actual password, but it works anyway. I've run spybot, ad-aware and 3 virus scanners on it so I'm pretty sure I haven't got a dialler installed anywhere.
    IIRC It does this by design to stop someone guessing the password by knowing the length
    2: Opening IE or winMX automatically opens the dialup box, but opening Opera doesn't.
    Same on mine (it's always been that way). I'd like to be able to open the connection by using Opera myself so if someone can help I'd be grateful.
    3: It connects ok but then sits there and does nothing! No packets get sent out, and pinging the server yields no results. This did ocassionally happen on Win98 where the connection would get "tired" but restarting windows always fixed it - not anymore.
    Ah now this is an actual definite problem. Does it always do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

In Win2K, any password comes up as 9 (or whatever amount) stars/*'s. This is a security feature, so if anybody looks, it'll always be the same 9 stars. With Win98, you could get a program, see the password is 5 stars, and get the program to crack a 5 star password.
    Oh yeah; I don't have Opera. I use Mozilla Firefox, but erm, I found this on Opera's support section;
    2) Also check that you have a properly installed DUN. It should not be a problem with the possibility of Opera using the wrong winsock DLL.

And your solution will simply be to start DUN first and then boot up Opera. --This is actually a good practice, anyway, since it is the most stable way of working with your Dial-Up connection when using multiple internet applications.

If Opera then connects to the server, all is well --- but previously, the wrong DLL was being used.

3) This message may also occur after a failed Dial Up followed by closing the dialer. To solve this problem, (once again) launch the DUN dialer manually.
    This is quite odd. You say this happened sometimes in Wn98... I suppose you found a way to fix it. Post it up here, and I'll see if I can help (if someone else hasn't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

WinXP adds extra * in password fields for extra security
    not too sure if it's the same for 2K but this would answer why u can still connect - the pass is correct, just masked

is opera set as the default browser?

also, from:
    http://www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=265&session=a12681c20f98cac3e5066ff5a7f149c4

Starting a dialup connection in Windows 2000 and XP

Platform: Windows 95/98/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP

Opera does not come with its own dialer, so it has to rely on the connection provided to it by the system. When you try to connect with Opera, it will send a request to the system.

To initiate a dialup connection automatically when you launch Opera, your dialer must be configured properly. First, we have to disable the proprietary dialer.

Open your Start menu, then select "Settings" and open your Control Panel. Under Internet Options > Connections, select "Never dial a connection".

Once this is done, you can enable dial on demand:

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services and set the following services to automatic startup:
    Remote Access Auto Connection Manager
    Remote Access Connection Manager
    Telephony

Now go to "Network" and "Dial-up Connections".

Under "Advanced" in the menu dropdown bar, select "Dial-up Preferences".

Under the "Autodial" tab, "Enable autodial by location", check "New Location (the current location)". Uncheck "Disable autodial while I am logged on", and also "Always ask me before autodialing" if you don't want that.

To make sure these changes take effect, it is wise to reboot your systen, as starting these services manually has been reported not to work.

do you receive packets?
    can you ping any ip addresses or url's?

try removing the connection and creating a new one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Brilliant guys - that remote access doohoicky bit I think is what I was looking for.

as to #3: It sends and recieves the intial connection packets, then when the connection is active it it will occasiaonlly send a packet as a keep-alive, but no packets are ever recieved and no packets are sent by applications - ie pinging sends no packets, neither does trying to access sites in browsers or FTP. Under Win98 I was told it was just a Windows being a POS issue, and it tended to happen after it had been connected awhile, so I put it down to memory leaks or whatnot. Tried deleting and recreating the connections, also sitched off, then uninstalled the Nvidia firewall that came with the motherboard but still no dice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Ok, for those with the same Opera issue, the fix above hasn't solved it. Will keep poking and see what I can find.

• Advertisement
Advertisement