Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blues

• 24-10-2010 9:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭

I know this should be in the soccer section but i am not allowed in there. Something about not having enough posts or something.

Am I right in saying if Waterford United win 5-0 next weekend and Derry City loose 5-0, the Blues will be champions. Not going to happen i know, but you never know. Strange things happen at times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

yeah there needs to be a 9 goal swing.....or 10 goal swing to win the league I think..

They need to get the Home advantage next week, so a win away to Shelbourne will guarantee it, a draw if Derry and Monaghan also draw..

Home advantage in the 1 legged play off be a nice bonus..... the final is 2 leg's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Home advantage for the playoffs would be absolutely huge. We all know how badly the team has struggled against Monaghan in the past so having that game in the RSC would be massive. Shels must win this weekend though so it's going to take a huge performance for the 90 minutes to keep them at bay, especially given how they destroyed us in the RSC last month.

Best of luck to the boys anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

What way do the play-offs work. Is it second and third play each other and second and third from bottom in the premir division play each other and the two winners meet, or do second play second from bottom of the premier division and third in the first division play third from the bottom in the premier division. Where will the final be played. Is it a two-legged home and away final, a one legged home or away final with the home team decided by the toss of a coin or will it be a neutral ground final.

Anyone know what team COULD be coming up to the first division from the 'A' League or whatever they call it. Sometimes the FAI League tables are hard to find, especially if you are not an out and out soccer person, and as a result dont know where exactly to look.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

Like Deise Tom, I'm not too clear how the play-offs work. Anyone clarify?

I live in Dublin so like all the best fairweather fans will turn up for the Shels game (first game of the season).

Thanks in advance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The League Tables are easily found... The first devision one is on the Waterford United website (www.waterford-united.ie) along with fixtures and results. There is also the League website (www.airtricityleague.com), which has First Division and Premier Division tables, results etc. Tho a bit slow at updating, its fairly accurate.

As for how it works, Wikipedia has some information which covers it fairly well
    Currently, the team that finishes bottom of the Premier Division is automatically relegated to the First Division. Likewise, the team that finishes top of the First Division is automatically promoted to the Premier Division. The teams placed 8th and 9th in the Premier Division face off, with the loser playing the winner of a similar encounter between the teams placed 2nd and 3rd in the First Division, in a two legged play-off. The winner of this match takes their place in the Premier Division the next year. The last placed team in the First Division can potentially play a promotion/relegation play-off against an A Championship side, depending on the final placings in that league.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Ireland

I was wondering the same myself once, and I googled to find out exactly how it would work. The league tables should be on each of the teams website anyway, depending how good the site is.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    The League Tables are easily found... The first devision one is on the Waterford United website (www.waterford-united.ie) along with fixtures and results. There is also the League website (www.airtricityleague.com), which has First Division and Premier Division tables, results etc. Tho a bit slow at updating, its fairly accurate.

As for how it works, Wikipedia has some information which covers it fairly well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Ireland

I was wondering the same myself once, and I googled to find out exactly how it would work. The league tables should be on each of the teams website anyway, depending how good the site is.

Thanks for that info. It brings me and i am sure others up to date.

Some of the websites are pretty poor and out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

A great result on Friday night!
    Only pity was seeing 'some' supporters leaving
    with 10 minute still to go!
    You would wonder why they even bothered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Not as if they are leaving early to beat the "traffic":rolleyes:

There was people leaving Walsh Park early yesterday as well. I would love to know how many of them are the "wonderful" and "Number 1 Hurling Fans" that we hear about each year when it comes getting tickets for games that Waterford will be playing. It always amazes me to see people leave early from a match. I would have thought that if you were interested in the game of hurling you will be there from the start till the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ I find it's because these days allot of fans are sunshine only maybe not just hurling but due to the format of GAA it's allot more noticeable. Same can be said for even Waterford Utd I'm sure if they had a cup run and reached the cup final then allot of fans would be up in Dublin.

I had many a good night at the RSC but I just get the feeling LOI football is going to die on it's belly unless a cash injection or something comes into it and gets people talking.

• Advertisement

Oh and OP,

You need a number of posts before you can post in the soccer fourm because in the past they had a nightmare with people spewing ****e getting banned but reregistering and doing it again.

It's annoying for a new user but it makes it a much better experience over there. :)

I don't think that the League of Ireland is that bad!
    I think that we have over indulged ourselves in the Premiership!
    Maybe our expectations are unreal, maybe that you can
    watch football almost seven days a week without having
    to leave the comfort of the living room? Waterford Utd
    have a good team! Premier football will be a giant step
    forward but I believe we'll get there this year.
    For those who remained up to the final whistle I
    feel believe this also!

Actually,

I from what I have seen the standard isn't that bad and it never was. I just think Footy fans or the mob in general need something to get talking about. Look at when Paul McGrath became involved with the club must be 10 years ago there was a genuine buzz around even up in Dungarvan where I was in school. Yes it was doomed from the start as the poor mans deamons soon caught up with him but LOI needs something like that again IMHO.

Something as simple as bringing in a few players trying to come back from injury for one summer or signing a big name at the end of his career.

ziedth wrote: »
    Oh and OP,

You need a number of posts before you can post in the soccer fourm because in the past they had a nightmare with people spewing ****e getting banned but reregistering and doing it again.

It's annoying for a new user but it makes it a much better experience over there. :)

You would think that with nearly 2500 posts a person is around long enough to be allowed in. Re the spewing ****e that goes on in all sections of the forum. Some would accuse me of been a champion of it, but i am sure most of the time its people giving honest opinions but the views are not shared by a sizeable amount of other posters.

I apologise,

I'm posting off the mobile site nine times out of 10 so I just assumed you were a new user.

I generally lurk over in soccer and the trolls are found out fairly quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Deise Tom wrote: »
    You would think that with nearly 2500 posts a person is around long enough to be allowed in.

I recall something about asking a mods permission to join the soccer forum. I know I did omething like that a couple of years ago - even though I never bother going in there I have access to it.

As for the blues - we've* had the cash injection, high profile players etc. and beyond the novelty factor the impact never seems to last.
    I think the Blues should be commended for what they've done over the last few seasons, running a tight ship, not being held to ransom by any player etc. As the income increases the wages can increase, but slow and steady is the order of the day. If that means a few years of 1st division football, then so be it. It would be great to have big gates and premier division football, but you have to cut your cloth.

*Us and the league in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

I hate seeing people leaving any match early. If you are going to support a team, support them to the end. A fantastic end to the game Friday night and then when Mervue bet Monaghan Saturday night, that was a very welcome unexpected bonus.

An absolutely huge game this week away to Shels. To put it simply, if we win, we are guaranteed a home play off. A point guarantees an away play off at least.
    Would be great if the people of Waterford would come out and support the lads in Tolka Saturday night. With the new motorway it's only a short spin up the road.
    The Blues Supporters Club will also be running a few buses to the game.
    Buses leaves Norrises Corner at 4.30 Saturday and the price is just a mere 10e return.
    Contact the BSC travel hotline on 0834033699 to book your seat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Best of luck to them Saturday, they're up against it but hopefully they can get at least a draw. Hate to see them miss out on promotion again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

It's certainly an exciting end to the season, with one game left to play we could still finish First, Second, Third or Fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

fingers crossed things will work out , I have a feeling the loss to Shels at the RSC will motivate the team.

Re the soccer forums you have to request access on a separate forum including specified words in your post to ensure you have read the charter.

• Advertisement

Looking good for the Blues at the moment. Winning 2-1 while Derry are beating Monaghan United. Get out there on Tuesday night to support the Blues. GO ON THE BLUESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good result, but listening to it on the radio, you would sware that Waterford UTD are after qualifying for Europe. To the best of my knowledge nothing has been won YET. Sometimes in Waterford we have a tendency to get a little carried away too quickly. For anyone thinking the game on Tuesday will be a walk in the park, What was the result the last time the clubs met? Were Waterford UTD suppose to win that game easy. And even if Waterford UTD win on Tuesday dont they have another game to win to achieve promotion.

Ok DT, I see your point but were you at the game vs Athlone Town where up to the 84th minute we were probably out of contention considering that Monaghan were to play & most likely beat Mervue until the 85th & 93rd minute & the unbelievable result which was to follow the following Saturday threw a completely different complexion on things!

It's been an unbelievable season for the Blues considering what has gone before us in previous years & to get this far & so close to promotion, it is a remarkable achievement for all connected with Waterford United.

Ok DT, I see your point but were you at the game vs Athlone Town where up to the 84th minute we were probably out of contention considering that Monaghan were to play & most likely beat Mervue until the 85th & 93rd minute & the unbelievable result which was to follow the following Saturday threw a completely different complexion on things!

It's been an unbelievable season for the Blues considering what has gone before us in previous years & to get this far & so close to promotion, it is a remarkable achievement for all connected with Waterford United.

But its not over yet and could end in disapointment. I am just warning against celebrating too early. We have to remember till the final whistle in the season is blown and Waterford United are ahead at that whistle, nothing has been achieved. Is moral victories that people call them when they feel something is achieved over a period of time. But are they any good if your aim at the start is not achieved.

No I was not in the RSC for the Athlone game. To be honest I was not there since Tommy Lynch was manager. The timing of the games does not basically suit me, but i do look out for Waterford United results and joined the Blues Supporters Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

Just to clarify again! Do the winners of the Tueday game play the losers of the Bray-Galway game in a 2-legged play-off?

Sod all on the official Aitricity League site. All about the Prem div, even though that's over. Could at least explain who's playing who in the play-offs and the permutations...must be lots of ppl who'd like to know (including Bray and Galway fans). Doesn't even give the goal difference on the league tables!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Just to clarify again! Do the winners of the Tueday game play the losers of the Bray-Galway game in a 2-legged play-off?

Sod all on the official Aitricity League site. All about the Prem div, even though that's over. Could at least explain who's playing who in the play-offs and the permutations...must be lots of ppl who'd like to know (including Bray and Galway fans). Doesn't even give the goal difference on the league tables!

yes they do

http://www.waterford-united.ie/fixtures/

Deise Tom wrote: »
    But its not over yet and could end in disapointment. I am just warning against celebrating too early. We have to remember till the final whistle in the season is blown and Waterford United are ahead at that whistle, nothing has been achieved. Is moral victories that people call them when they feel something is achieved over a period of time. But are they any good if your aim at the start is not achieved.

You're correct DT, It's not over yet & the only thing that I'm celebrating is the fact that we have an opportunity to go further! A hope maybe that we will get to see Waterford beat Monaghan & go on to win promotion, but isn't that why we support the club. A place where we can go for two hours & get involved in something good!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Which is why as many people as possible should attend the home match on Tuesday. Get behind your local team folks, there doing a fantastic job and while there is a slight snobbery about it being the first division - get behind the team and lets encourage them to fight for premier.

Ticket prices are reduced at €10, concession at €5 and kids at €2. Fantastic pricing - get behind your team and shout them on.

http://www.waterford-united.ie/ticket-prices-reduced-for-tuesdays-play-off/

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Great to see that WUFC were able to get discounts on the prices! Gutted that I can't be there as I'm away!

I really hope there's a good attendance to get behind the lads. We really need this and without a doubt the players deserve it. They've shown great commitment to the club and it's been a fantastic rollercoaster of a season!

Bring on the mons! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭DjBryn

GOOD LUCK! Tonite blues... Prediction 2-1 will do..

Advertisement