Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blues

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I've reverted to my old reliable tactic of lumping a tonne of money on the opposing team. The cash bonus tends to offset any emotional loss of losing while I tend not to care about the money if we win!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

Blues should do it tonight. Monaghan have suffered a very poor dip in form and like us last season have run out of steam due to their extended FAI Cup and League Cup runs.

The momentum and form is most certainly with us so that should carry us through.

if you want to check out what the fans are saying about the match and other Blues talk, than log onto www.btid.net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Good luck hopefully good crowd their tonight.......

Thinking of heading down to this. Do dirty rotten students qualify for the €5 concession? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

AdMMM wrote: »
    Thinking of heading down to this. Do dirty rotten students qualify for the €5 concession? :)
    Yep, 5er for students.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Blues 1 down at h/t

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

monaghan played them off the pitch.waterford played like a buch of players that only met before the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Is that the end of the promotion hopes for this year then? I ask as someone who does not follow the game (being a southern hemisphere johnny foreigner). Thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It used to be two leggs but it used to only be two teams so tbh I have no idea. I'd say that's it because the lads were talking about home advantage at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Yeah thats it for this year, Next year in the 1st Division again

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that the winner of this game was going to play the loser of the Prem Division play off? If so, how can a First Div team be expected to beat a team that has had the advantage of playing in the Prem Div for the year (i.e. more media coverage and ability to attract higher caliber of player)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

well if you can't win a playoff against a premier team then you've no business playing in the premier division.

wasn't a bad game last night for the conditions but Monaghan did deserve it. They played some really nice football when attacking and looked to have an extra man in the middle for most of the game. Waterford just didn't move the ball well enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

AdMMM wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the winner of this game was going to play the loser of the Prem Division play off? If so, how can a First Div team be expected to beat a team that has had the advantage of playing in the Prem Div for the year (i.e. more media coverage and ability to attract higher caliber of player)

They whole playoff system is a joke, only one team being guaranteed promotion is just ridiculous. It should be about promoting the game around the country and spreading some of the money but it's having the opposite effect. If Monaghan don't get promotion then they'll more than likely lose a lot of their better players and it goes the same for us. Both teams will have to start all over again while the team that gets relegated from the Prem has better resources behind then from playing in the Prem the previous season making them favourites to win the league and go straight up.

south wrote: »
    well if you can't win a playoff against a premier team then you've no business playing in the premier division.

Totally disagree with this. You're job is to build a team that will get you out of the 1st divison and then if you're guaranteed promotion is to strengthen it during the Summer to try and survive in the next season. Why should you be forced to play a Prem side with a 1st divison team.
    Both teams should get relegated from the Prem and then maybe a playoff between 2nd and 3rd to get promoted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Boooourns wrote: »
    They whole playoff system is a joke, only one team being guaranteed promotion is just ridiculous. It should be about promoting the game around the country and spreading some of the money but it's having the opposite effect. If Monaghan don't get promotion then they'll more than likely lose a lot of their better players and it goes the same for us. Both teams will have to start all over again while the team that gets relegated from the Prem has better resources behind then from playing in the Prem the previous season making them favourites to win the league and go straight up.

Everyone knows the rules before the league starts. You could argue that the play offs in England are unfair as well. Some might say that if the sixth place team in the league (Championship) wins the play off final thats its unfair.

I know you did not mention it as such, but as for the Non-Dublin (Pale) teams not been in the premier division, maybe if they put the clubs in the other regions were to put the same amout of time and energy into the game as the Dublin Clubs do, maybe they would be in the Premier Division. Or another solution might be to have just one division of 22 teams. Maybe that would result in too many games and you could cut it to say 16 or 18 teams with the teams going up from the first division determined on results say over 5 years.

By the way in case anyone things i am saying that Waterford United are not putting time and energy into the club, i am not, maybe just not as much as others, but they are going in the right direction with the new acadmy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

18/04/09 was the last time Waterford beat Monaghan Town, played 6 times since losing 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 monkeysockss

Fairly convulated play-off system but it's fair enough and at least keeps the interest going a bit longer. Had some great days back in the dim and distant past when the blues have come out on top in play-offs so no complaints. Win some you lose some.

Don't agree with you Boooourns...job is to win the division. If not, you take your chances in the play-offs. One automatic relegation is reasonable enough in a ten team division.

Good season all round though....next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Only 1 automatic promotion is fine when the Premier Division is only 10 teams big tbh. A lot of clubs up and down the country are struggling financially, so telling they top clubs that 2 of the 10 teams are guaranteed to have to go through relegation is really pushing it.

Daysha wrote: »
    Only 1 automatic promotion is fine when the Premier Division is only 10 teams big tbh. A lot of clubs up and down the country are struggling financially, so telling they top clubs that 2 of the 10 teams are guaranteed to have to go through relegation is really pushing it.

My biggest problem is the rich get richer (if the club is run properly that is!) and those who miss out on promotion stay the same or get worse. The attendances in the 1st division is pretty poor and it's hard for clubs to keep trying to be competitive knowing they have to win the 1st division to guarantee promotion with the money they have to play around with. Squads are smaller compared with premier sides so then to be asked to play against a premier side to gain promotion is not ideal imo.

Really hope Monaghan get promoted this season, it would be great for them and they fully deserve a reward after a great season.

I read some place during the week that the Monaghan Manager is the longest serving one in the league, since 2003 i think. Well done to them for sticking with him and lets hope that they get promotion. Too many clubs expect their managers to be miracle workers, Waterford UTD included in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭flash1080

Will Waterford be throwing money around again next season trying to get promoted?

flash1080 wrote: »
    Will Waterford be throwing money around again next season trying to get promoted?

Clubs should be learning from mistakes of others in the past and not be firing money around any any cost to try and achieve the ultimate promotion.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Clubs should be learning from mistakes of others in the past and not be firing money around any any cost to try and achieve the ultimate promotion.
    I just don't see how Waterford can have one of the biggest budgets in the First Division with the crowds as they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I just don't see how Waterford can have one of the biggest budgets in the First Division with the crowds as they are.

Who says they do? (Genuine question). And is it more to do with the tiny budgets of a lot of the other teams in the division?
    I got the impression things were really tightened up over the last few years, wityh players allowed to leave rather than break the salary budget.

Anyway, no-one is going to run a club on gate receipts alone - sponsorship will probably make up a bulk of the budget. Plus fund raisers. Speaking of which, a good turn out tonight will help the finances a bit.

noby wrote: »
    Who says they do? (Genuine question). And is it more to do with the tiny budgets of a lot of the other teams in the division?
    I got the impression things were really tightened up over the last few years, wityh players allowed to leave rather than break the salary budget.

Anyway, no-one is going to run a club on gate receipts alone - sponsorship will probably make up a bulk of the budget. Plus fund raisers. Speaking of which, a good turn out tonight will help the finances a bit.

Afaik only Derry had a bigger budget than Waterford.

The mixed messages of transfer rumours at the moment is crazy being linked with premier division players but there's rumours of Kearney and WJK leaving. Kearney is on the PFAI transfer list at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

The Bosman ruling pretty much destroyed the transfer market in Ireland (not that it was worth much to begin with). With clubs not being able to afford long term contracts it means that at the end of each season half the players in the league become free agents. The real action wont be until a few weeks before the new season starts as players that haven't been picked up start to get desperate, that's when clubs can get a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Afaik only Derry had a bigger budget than Waterford.

And who had bigger attendances? Derry? Shels?

So basically the blues had one of the biggest budgets in the league, and one of the biggest crowds.

The mixed messages of transfer rumours at the moment is crazy being linked with premier division players but there's rumours of Kearney and WJK leaving. Kearney is on the PFAI transfer list at any rate.

They don't call it the silly season for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Little off topic but did anyone see the last episode of A League of their own on sky one? They showed a crazy own goal at the RSC for waterford. They didn't namecheck the club though.

At least I think it was the RSC.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ziedth wrote: »
    Little off topic but did anyone see the last episode of A League of their own on sky one? They showed a crazy own goal at the RSC for waterford. They didn't namecheck the club though.

At least I think it was the RSC.....

This is it

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    And who had bigger attendances? Derry? Shels?

So basically the blues had one of the biggest budgets in the league, and one of the biggest crowds.

They don't call it the silly season for nothing.

Derry, Cork, Shels, Harps and Limerick apparently had bigger crowds.
    http://www.soccerway.com/national/ireland-republic/division-1/2010/regular-season/

Advertisement