Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get Jtaggable Xbox 360s

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

By the time ye were all posting on this I was eating breakfast in the hotel :P

I picked up 3, but think I might have got chatting to Lenny while there, though I didn't know it was you hunting for the JTAGable ones - if it was you then you should have told me you were looking for one for a few friends and I'd probably have guessed it was a fellow boardsie :D

Anyways, the story is I picked up 3 consoles. One was Sega Tennis, my friend got a Sega Tennis too. They were the only two ones in there because I was almost first in the door and the first to the xbox 360 pallet. Both are dated June 10th, 2009. The other two I picked up are dated June 16th 2009. They should be ok because I got a refurb from the service center on the 18th of June and it had a good CB version. But I'll let you know later this evening or tomorrow once I check them out. I'd be willing to part with two of them anyways, might keep the 3rd one for myself - I have a hoarding problem :o

I didn't see any DSi/or NDS stuff at all, but I did see some Wii accessories. Apparently the Wii's sold out yesterday so there were none today. I grabbed a PS3 fat 80GB for €200 after searching around for a backwards compatible fat for a little while :P

Ok feck it, if there's an exploitable Japser in all that mark me down for it TV :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

EnterNow wrote: »
    Ok feck it, if there's an exploitable Japser in all that mark me down for it TV :)

Done. And they're all taken :P

Witnessmenow, you had Lenny looking for yourself but I picked one up with you in mind from the ones in Tesco there during the week. If he got you one then I'll have two to pass off to members. One is for EnterNow, the other is for a member who pm'd me first

So the order for my two is:

1) Witnessmenow
    2) EnterNow
    3) Guy who pm'd me :D

I've got all my soldering gear here in my friends house but the one thing I don't have is the damn USB nand reader. I'll update this thread when I find the CB versions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I'm in the process of dumping my jasper it said on the box 256mb but nandpro reported 512mb I am using an lpt cable wired to the motherboard any idea how long this takes?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

You know what I thought that was you alright TV, I was nearly gonna say it to yea when I was talking to ya in the que.
    I picked up two, one for myself & the other was for witnessmenow (as I rang EnterNow to ask him did he want to chance it,.
    One of the xboxes I picked up is missing the power block & a controller ffs, dono what to do now.
    The dashboard date on them is 2.0.7363 but from reading would need to find out what the cb is.. guess the research begins!
    Do you think I should just bring the other xbox back an get a refund?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

if the manufacture date is before 18.06 and wnm doesn't want it anymore I'll take it off you. don't bring it back!

• Advertisement

Lenny wrote: »
    You know what I thought that was you alright TV, I was nearly gonna say it to yea when I was talking to ya in the que.
    I picked up two, one for myself & the other was for witnessmenow (as I rang EnterNow to ask him did he want to chance it,.
    One of the xboxes I picked up is missing the power block & a controller ffs, dono what to do now.
    The dashboard date on them is 2.0.7363 but from reading would need to find out what the cb is.. guess the research begins!
    Do you think I should just bring the other xbox back an get a refund?

Well it was good to meet you without officially meeting you, I knew once I got back it was probably you :D

I'd take it back and ask for a power brick and controller. Don't let them take your console off you anyways, tell them you want that specific one.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well I need a power block, I was even thinking of going back an asking them for a powerblock & controler out of another xbox
    and do xboxes not come with headsets anymore? none in either of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Guys I'd take any ones that people are offering me!

Lenny I'd give you €125 without the power block and controller, or €150 with them. Dont feel obliged to accept though!

TV I'll also take one if you dont mind, a good buddy of mine is looking for one.

The Halo edition came with headset arcade didn't just power brick and av cable

Well it was good to meet you without officially meeting you, I knew once I got back it was probably you :D

I'd take it back and ask for a power brick and controller. Don't let them take your console off you anyways, tell them you want that specific one.

Good meeting you two alright!
    there was loads of parents out there that didn't have a clue on which xbox to be getting lol, must have thought they were all faulty the way we were lookin at the back of them haha
    is it possible to jtag with a laptop, by getting the usb to parallel convertor, or does it have to be a true parallel port?

• Advertisement

you need native lpt port.

NAND is dumping to 3fff and I'm on 447 it's gonna be a long night :(

docentore wrote: »
    you need native lpt port.

Hmm, the pc is in the family home, dont fancy bringing it down here
    So basicly theres no work around for doing it with a laptop?

@justryan: You should only dump to 0xfff (i.e. the first 64MB). The rest is storage space on the NAND dump and is pointless to dump. In fact, you could even dump the first 2MB, install XeLL, JTAG it, and dump the rest over HTTP. LPT is going to take a LONG time to dump 512MB, about 24 hours per dump and you gotta dump at least twice to test for matches.

@witnessmenow: I'll keep you informed :)

@Lenny: You need an LPT that listens to IRQ 0x378 (which is mostly a motherboard with a native LPT port and not an addon). Also, the amount of people asking me which one was better because I looked like I worked there with all the unstacking/restacking of the pallet was unreal - I was more than happy to help them out though. Told 'em to avoid the 2008 or lower consoles if they could help it :D The workaround for the laptop is to use a USB reader ;)

@docentore: Did you go? Didn't see anybody else on the JTAG hunt :D

as I rang EnterNow to ask him did he want to chance it

You did?? Hmm I don't recall that :D No bother anyway TV has one put aside for me :)

The workaround for the laptop is to use a USB reader ;)
    :D

One of these do would it?
    http://jtagmyxbox360.com/buy_usb_spi_jtag.php, as you guess I haven't read much up on the jtag but when I saw this topic I thought I'd go out an get to get started!

Sorry, my mistake I rang Rafloution and asked him.
    Enter now I had a good look for you for the ds XL and I couldn't see any anywere forgot to tell you.
    I didn't think you were after an xbox

5 mins ago I picked up 02.2009 pro Jasper for 130e. not bad. I'm going to shift hdd and controller anyway.

One of these do would it?
    http://jtagmyxbox360.com/buy_usb_spi_jtag.php, as you guess I haven't read much up on the jtag but when I saw this topic I thought I'd go out an get to get started!

Sorry, my mistake I rang Rafloution and asked him.
    Enter now I had a good look for you for the ds XL and I couldn't see any anywere forgot to tell you.
    I didn't think you were after an xbox

Check out DIYgadget.com for their USB SPI reader ;) - http://www.diygadget.com/jtag-cables/usb-spi-jtag-utility-bundle.html

@justryan: You should only dump to 0xfff (i.e. the first 64MB). The rest is storage space on the NAND dump and is pointless to dump. In fact, you could even dump the first 2MB, install XeLL, JTAG it, and dump the rest over HTTP. LPT is going to take a LONG time to dump 512MB, about 24 hours per dump and you gotta dump at least twice to test for matches.

Excellent TV, so to dump the first 64mb the command would be?
    nandpro.exe lpt: -r256/512 ryan-jasper-orig.bin 0 FFF

Could you explain how I would dump the first 2MB install XeLL and dump the rest if it's not too much trouble?

docentore wrote: »
    5 mins ago I picked up 02.2009 pro Jasper for 130e. not bad. I'm going to shift hdd and controller anyway.
    Ah good stuff mate, would have went for that myself,
    need another harddrive I do

• Advertisement

nandpro lpt: -r64 ryan-jasper-orig1.bin

I couldn't dump my 512MB over HTTP via Xell, but that could be for any number of reasons so the first thing I'd do is try it.
    nandpro lpt: -r2 ryan-jasper-first2mb_1.bin 0
    nandpro lpt: -r2 ryan-jasper-first2mb_2.bin 0
    fc ryan-jasper-first2mb_1.bin ryan-jasper-first2mb_2.bin
    nandpro lpt: -r1 ryan-jasper-kv1.bin 1 1
    nandpro lpt: -r1 ryan-jasper-kv2.bin 1 1
    fc ryan-jasper-kv1.bin ryan-jasper-kv2.bin
    nandpro lpt: -w2 jasper_xell.bin 0
    nandpro lpt: -w1 ryan-jasper-kv1.bin 1 1

Something like the above. Dump the first 2mb twice, run fc to file compare. If there are no differences then you can continue. If there are, dump again until there are no between two dumps. Do not power off between dumps. Check ground connections before each dump. The last thing you want is a bad dump.

Dump the Keyvault twice, compare. Repeat dumps if there are inconsistencies.

Write Xellous to the nand. Write your KV into the Xellous you've just flashed.

Solder JTAG using transistor method. Power on, blue screen, Xellous. Rejoice :D

It's all in this guide: https://docs.google.com/View?id=dnfmv5h_30dw33vpf4

Please note that you might have to use the alternative Jasper BB Files in Step 6. If you flash Xellous and get a black screen with no output, then use the Jasper BB files - I had to use them. But first, use the files below that link (Mirror 1/Mirror 2/Mirror 3).

Follow the guide, if you need help then start a thread and we'll take it from there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I've largely no idea what I'm talking about so appologies in advance for any stupid questions :o

Tempted to head over there and try and get one of these jtag 360s. First off how many of them were leftover when you guys were leaving? What would I need to look out for to make sure I got a compatible one?

Also, how difficult is it to jtag a 360? Can a non tech expert do it or is there complex soldering required? I softmodded my wii and it worked out well. Is this much more difficult?

Also, Lenny, I have a 360 power block from a launch console that went Rrod that I could give you if you it will work for you.

Many thanks TV at this point does it matter that I am dash 2.5xx or should I upgrade to 7371 before trying anything

You are looking for a console with a manufacturing date of May 2009 or earlier. June 2009 is a maybe on the JTAG scale, it can be hit or miss. There were plenty of June 2009 arcade consoles left on one pallet when I left at 1pm. There were a LOT of PRO consoles (wiht 20GB hard drives) for €130 on the other pallet. I didn't even give them a look, though I really should have. So your chances are fairly good if you make it up before 4pm.

JTAGing a 360 is a moderately difficult solder. You need to solder to the motherboard 7 wires to read the memory and modify it (you need a USB or LPT-based NAND reader) Then solder some more cables to make it boot the modified memory (transistors and resistors required for this too). There are modders available to do this in the modding services sticky at the top of the forum.

The CB is exploitable 6723

You are looking for a console with a manufacturing date of May 2009 or earlier. June 2009 is a maybe on the JTAG scale, it can be hit or miss. There were plenty of June 2009 arcade consoles left on one pallet when I left at 1pm. There were a LOT of PRO consoles (wiht 20GB hard drives) for €130 on the other pallet. I didn't even give them a look, though I really should have. So your chances are fairly good if you make it up before 4pm.

JTAGing a 360 is a moderately difficult solder. You need to solder to the motherboard 7 wires to read the memory and modify it (you need a USB or LPT-based NAND reader) Then solder some more cables to make it boot the modified memory (transistors and resistors required for this too). There are modders available to do this in the modding services sticky at the top of the forum.

So have you looked into your june 09 xboxs to see if they are jtagable?

Afraid not, and I won't get a chance to do so until tomorrow when I get my USB nand reader. I think June 18th was the cut-off point and anything after has an updated CB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Lenny thanks for offer earlier sorry for the messing about. I flew up around 5pm still loads left all the arcades were 06/09 date. There were a few world cup ones 2006 I was tempted but i saw a jasper 60gb feb 09 date so I bought that.

Off to modding services to see who can help!

Afraid not, and I won't get a chance to do so until tomorrow when I get my USB nand reader. I think June 18th was the cut-off point and anything after has an updated CB

I think I may have asked oyu before, but whats the story with that usb nand reader TV? Did you build it yourself or buy one? And how does it connect to the jtag points normally associated with the RJ45 header method?

• Advertisement

I bought it after failing to build one. I bought from moddable.com but I wouldn't really recommend them as some of them have 4MHz crystals which obviously reduces the speed at which it reads or writes data.

I'd recommend diygadget.com now :)

And the RJ45 connector is thing of the past. But if you want to keep it then all wires to the socket should be diode-free. And the wires from the plug to the USB reader should also be diode free and in the right order :D

Advertisement