Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much should I be paying child minder?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the whole area of child minding and would appreciate your guidance please.

From November onwards, I will be working one full day a week. A neighbour has agreed to collect my 10 year old son from school at 2.30pm on this day, take him home to his own (the neighbour's house), give him a sambo, get him doing his homework and I will collect my son at 4.45 or so.

I want to make sure I'm being fair to the neighbour (he is retired) but I don't want to go overboard either.

To those of you with experience of having children collected and minded, what would you recommend I pay this kind neighbour each week? I'm living in the city and the school is only 2 minutes drive from the neighbour's house/our house.

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

25 per day = 10 per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I would reckon about €5 per hour upto about €15 for the afternoon, bear in mind that he'll have to leave to collect your son earlier than 2.30pm, often a good bit earlier if parking is a problem and to allow for petrol.

Also don't forget to allow for all the half-days and days off etc and that he's prepared for that.

If your son is under 150cm will you have to provide a booster seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Thanks folks.

The problem only arises one day a week. I work part-time and most of my hours are compressed into one day a week. The rest of the time, I'm off early enough not to have problems.

The school is 4/5 of a mile from the house and parking shouldn't be a big issue (there may be changes because of roadworks but I'll know over the next few days).

Our son is tall and won't need a booster seat. Days off are fine because his sister who is in secondary school will be off on those days too and she will be able to take care of him (for example tomorrow). And I'm lucky enough not to work outside term time.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭annetted

i'd say 20 euro would be enough then you could get him a nice little gift at christmas. its hard to know, i guess you could have a chat with him about it?

Advertisement