Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best value for money food on campus?

Options
  • 24-10-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Anyone got some tips for the best value food on campus? I know the best value to be found is in a packed lunch, but some days, this just isn't feasible.
    One option is the soup and a roll deal in the restaurant, it's just €1.85 or something like that. Are there any other good deals going on campus?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Soup & a roll in the restaurant building is the best value for money I've found (I haven't tried anything else in there because none of it looks particularly appetising to me...). The on the run is overpriced, and the arts cafe is pre-packaged rubbish. All that said, I'm a soup addict so once I found out about the soup in 1st year I haven't looked too far for alternatives. It's convenient money wise and time wise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Chips or rice + vegetable and sauce mixture = €5.50 in the restaurant.

Add your own nuts and you have yourself a very wholesome meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Centra have good offers at their Deli, lots of combos like water and a sandwich etc. If I ever have to eat on campus it is in Centra, Elements or O'Briens.

I would actually rather go hungry than eat the gruel in the restaurant :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

sandwich in the SU shop below the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

Sandwich with 1 meat and one non-meat filling for €2 in Centra.

As an aside, maybe I'm out of touch but the price of fruit on campus is ridiculous. 65c in Centra for an apple, 75c in Insomnia in Quinn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

centra, chicken fillet roll loadsa fillings for 3.50, and a bottle of water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Any roll (incl. hot chicken fillet) plus soup 5.50 in the Student Bar

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

If you don't mind walking, the Spar at the end of Foster's avenue (behind Roebuck) does a deal where you get a chicken fillet roll, a bag of crisps and a can of coke/fanta etc for 2.99.

But it is out of the way if you're not in Roebuck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

If you don't mind walking, the Spar at the end of Foster's avenue (behind Roebuck) does a deal where you get a chicken fillet roll, a bag of crisps and a can of coke/fanta etc for 2.99.

But it is out of the way if you're not in Roebuck!

Beat me to it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭TunaSaladBB

If you're mad for soup and saving money, bring a cup-a-soup and get hot water from the SU shop under the library. I think fruit's fairly reasonable there too. I bought an apple there last week and it did the business. I think sambos are around the 2.50 mark there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Blacey wrote: »
    Anyone got some tips for the best value food on campus? I know the best value to be found is in a packed lunch, but some days, this just isn't feasible.
    One option is the soup and a roll deal in the restaurant, it's just €1.85 or something like that. Are there any other good deals going on campus?

If you are looking for quantity:

Su bar on a friday (full lunch E4!)
    or forum bar any day (full lunch or dinner E6)

Alternatively a large roll in 911 could be cost effective.

Personally I am no great fan of the SU bar increasing the cost of lunch by 50c and giving a 'free' bottle of water...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

Loads of good options here!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

While the sandwiches in the arts cafe are mank, you can get a toasted bagel with cream cheese for €2 or a soup and a roll for €3.They both make pretty good lunch options.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

all meals €4 in the stu bar this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jesica Fletcher

I have a sneaking suspicion that the sandwiches in the su shop beneath the library are the same ones they give prison inmates... On the other hand centra is yum! Hot chicken wraps are super! 911 is overpriced and not worth it, arts cafe is overpriced but decent food and in fairness the food in the su bards isn't bad!

The moral of the story is still bring your own food to college!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blacey

The moral of the story is still bring your own food to college!

As I said the original post, sometimes, this just doesn't happen, for a variety of reasons, even though I probably bring food 90% of the time. Still, now we have a nice list of bargain lunches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Cafe Sport

6.50 for a meal and whatever you can pile on your plate from the salad counter. Every 6th or 7th meal is free with a loyalty card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 mossychica

without a doubt cafe sport in the sports center. 5.50 for the best chilli this side of mexico. if only it was in the middle of capus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

^ Every post you have made on boards has been praising the Sports Cafe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

There's no value for money when the food is shite. I'd rather a chicken roll from Centra though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement