Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night Rider spins.

• 24-10-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭

I often have difficulty getting out for spins in the morning and at times during the weekend as I work nine to six and have other commitments. Obiviously then that just leaves the evening and I was just wondering if anyone heads out in the evenings these days and if so where? I live in Stillorgan at the moment and have a decent lights set so I'm looking for some Nightrider inspiration. Where could I go, there's safety in numbers so a spin buddy would be nice too. Is it advisable at all around Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Mosiki

I be out a few time a week in the evenings, normally do Cruagh Road/Stocking Lane. Normal Time to head out is about 6.30 ish. Open to other routes too.

ROK ON heads out on Tuesday evenings also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

whats stocking lane/cruagh like in the dark?

whats stocking lane/cruagh like in the dark?

Grand if you have lights, pitch black if you dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Mosiki wrote: »
    Grand if you have lights, pitch black if you dont.

Thanks for shedding some light on that situation...
    Where's me coat

Stating the obvious, little more of a description. Little or no traffic, road surface has been improved on Cruagh the last few weeks, no people around either, pretty quiet. Easy to see and be seen.

I have 2 x smart LEDs and 1 x Cateye (4x led) LED on the back of the bike (2 on forks, one on rear of seat).

One by Hope vision 1 light on handle bars and 1 x Hope Vision 1 helmet light. I can see perfectly well with both Hope lights at setting 2, however i normally set them to setting 4 to give oncoming traffic a heads up of my presence.

Descending is fine although i would recommend some clear specs to protect the eyes against the cold air, I have yet to purchase some myself but its not something that would stop you going out, more for comfort. I would always have both lights on setting 4 descending, also thinking of adding another (maxx daddy endurance light for descending and for when batteries run out so that i dont have to stop and change batteries, rather just turn the spare light on).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Hey Coolbeans, long time no see.

I'm in much the same boat as yourself, living near you too - I often head for Enniskerry via Stepaside & back, around 30k. Road is reasonably quiet, lit along part of the way.

Or you could try the M11 Motorway, I hear it's great craic and well lit too ! ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Thanks for that Mosiki, been getting notions about heading up that way but seems all a bit too dark for my liking especially descending...

Also find myself working them hours, changed job recently which gives me weekends off which is great but REALLY starting to miss them mid week epics while every one else is at work. Anyhows yea I have family in Bray so use it as an excuse to tear out the n11 for anything between a 40 and 50 km hammerfest out and back with tea in between, some evenings, takes about 40 mins city centre to bray town centre. Other than that I might head up the long mile, up around the red cow, out the cheerverstown raod to tallaght and back into the city via temleogue or firhouse, can be anything from 20 to 30km and takes under an hour. All of which is 90% lit with a decent amount of space to cycle in. Only problem is glass on the roads... and traffic lights, and buses....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Thanks for that Mosiki, been getting notions about heading up that way but seems all a bit too dark for my liking especially descending...

There are a few runs that I do if I want a nightime spin.

Anything intense: Barnaculla (Repeats up and down from Slatecabin Lane to about 0.5KM past Blue Ligt. Short, very steep pretty quiet and very well light.
    Three Rock. Quiet and very well light from Taylors of Three Rock to the Forest. Dark in the forest, so descending can be a bit unnerving.

Spinning/endurance: I have several loops that take in roads around Lucan/Adamstown, Celbridge, Leixlip, Maynooth, Newcastle, Saggart, Dublin outer ring road. I usually pick around a 2 hour cycle on any one of these.
    Mostly well light and deserted bus lanes. Very very few traffic lights so you can just keep going. I have cycled from Leixlip to Liffey Valley on the bus lane at 8.30pm recently. Road was busy, the bus lane was just me. Great surface and you can work up some great spinning/sprinting sessions.

I will probably do one of these loops most Tuesdays for the next whilebeing. It will more than likely be after Christmas before I start going back to Barnaculla and Three Rock.

I went on a few night spins last year in the countryside. It was pitch dark. I had two Fenix lights. Personally speaking, I hated it. I have found enough spins in well light areas with good road surfaces which means that I can get around 50km one on a winters evening, without heading into the countryside. Completely personal I guess. Some folks like the solititude of cycling in the balckness, others dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Do a fair bit of night riding myself. Rode to the inlaws in West Cavan late on friday night. A good light and happy days.

Advertisement