Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Egg/Sperm Donation Ethical If Done Only For The Money?

• 25-10-2010 7:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I don't know if this has been done already, sorry if it has!!

Hey Peeps, I am curious as to what you wildly smart people of AH think on the topic of Egg/Sperm donation!?
    Do you think it's morally wrong, if money is involved, or do you think it's only fair?

Please air & share your views!

Is Egg/Sperm Donation Ethical If Done Only For The Money? 24 votes

Yes, why shouldn't 'I' receive money for 'MY produce'
    0% 0 votes
    No, this is just completely wrong, what kind of person are you!?
    87% 21 votes
    I really don't know how/where I stand on this...
    8% 2 votes
    Why are you asking me, it's not like I give a sh*t!
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

How can it be unethical?

Guy has a w*nk, then either they opt to donate sperm or it gets wasted anyway. I fail to see the ethical issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

When i heard my local sperm clinic was in urgent need of a doner, i came as quick as i could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

dylano_k wrote: »
    When i heard my local sperm clinic was in urgent need of a doner, i came as quick as i could.

When I needed a witty joke for After Hours, I looked up Sickipedia.org.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Tombiman wrote: »
    When I needed a witty joke for After Hours, I looked up Sickipedia.org.

2 Pints of Larger and a Packet of Crisps
    from "Gaz"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Paid to fap. A win/win to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

dylano_k wrote: »

Sometimes a spelling mistake makes a post even funnier. I wonder why the guy at the sperm clinic so desperately wanted a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Who'd do egg donation for free...? You'd want to be thick. Seemingly it hurts like fcuk. And you've to take a load of mad hormones that make you psycho.

Incidentally I just dont get the point of people using donated eggs and carrying the sprog themselves :confused: If they want a kid and their eggs are no good why not just use a surrogate, that way they do all the hard work of pregnancy and labour and you still get the sprog at the end minus the hassle and inconvenience of pregnancy and labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Who'd do egg donation for free...? You'd want to be thick. Seemingly it hurts like fcuk. And you've to take a load of mad hormones that make you psycho.

Incidentally I just dont get the point of people using donated eggs and carrying the sprog themselves :confused: If they want a kid and their eggs are no good why not just use a surrogate, that way they do all the hard work of pregnancy and labour and you still get the sprog at the end minus the hassle and inconvenience of pregnancy and labour.

...or why not just adopt a thirtysomething that's got a career & an empty granny flat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Pookah

You're giving time and effort. Why would it be unethical to get paid for same?

What's the going rate for jizz, these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭mejane

People dont use surrogates because it costs a hell of a lot more than doing a round of IVF with donor and also there arent really any surrogates in Ireland as far as I know. You would have to go abroad. Theres also the big messy issue of the lack of legislation in Ireland surrounding this. Plus the other very simple reason, some women who have been trying desperately for years to have children do actually want to experience pregnancy & childbirth.

I think its not immoral, donating eggs is a huge inconvenient process & yes it includes a lot of meds & the procedure itself which is not nice. So I would expect the doner to be compensated. Sperm doners, obviously thats a little easier but Im sure they dont get paid as much as an egg doner. (All the above based on personal experience)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Not sure about the ethics of it, but in 90210 recently a girl was offered $20,000 for her eggs.

I'd have sold mine for that amount!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

mejane wrote: »
    People dont use surrogates because it costs a hell of a lot more than doing a round of IVF with donor and also there arent really any surrogates in Ireland as far as I know. You would have to go abroad. Theres also the big messy issue of the lack of legislation in Ireland surrounding this. Plus the other very simple reason, some women who have been trying desperately for years to have children do actually want to experience pregnancy & childbirth.

Ah I see. Fair enough. However what about all these rich b!tches in Hollywood who are rich enough to afford the surrogate but still choose to go through the pregnancy/birth etc having used donor eggs...what's the point?

Likes of Gina Davis and Holly Hunter etc?

Why go to all that trouble just for show, no-one honestly thinks a 48 year old naturally conceived twins so why go through the charade. As much as I dislike her at least Sarah Jessica Parker cut the bullsh!t and just used a surrogate and admitted it. But some of these other Hollywood types are too vain to admit they're human like everyone else. Vanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sure.. nothing wrong with something being mutually beneficial. I think organ donors should recieve a gratuity payment too when they sign themselves up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Not sure about the ethics of it, but in 90210 recently a girl was offered $20,000 for her eggs.

I'd have sold mine for that amount!

Jesus....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

TheZohan wrote: »
    Jesus....

???? Huh ???? It might explain the "virgin" part, but surely no-one claims that Mary paid for the "donation" !!

Advertisement