Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Railway preservation groups, who's the best?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I don't know how they are getting on but there has been no updates to their news section since July. (link)

I'm sure that I'll be proved wrong or not as the case maybe, but these days any Tom, Dick or Harry can set up a blog or website and it appears that they mean business. However, there is a bit more to rebuilding a branchline than setting up a website and, very unprofessionally, not keeping it up to date. Here are two more examples: The Cavan & Leitrim Railway - http://www.irish-railway.com/
    and the mysterious priest ridden Irish Railways and Transport Foundation, Ltd
    address: PO Box 1459, New Rochelle, NY 10802-1459 :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

The way I see it the Heritage Group are doing no harm to anyone. They're probably using the Oslo as its convieniant to those getting trains/luas/buses from elsewhere.

Nearly forgot this group at Belturbet station in the nominations for the best preservation group. Certainly would win an award for the most optimistic! It will never fly. :D

The way I see it the Heritage Group are doing no harm to anyone. They're probably using the Oslo as its convieniant to those getting trains/luas/buses from elsewhere.

I never implied they were harming anyone and it's better than dossing down outside the Customs House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

JD - Thanks, those two links remind me of a wild goose chase - see what you mean.

I don't know how they are getting on but there has been no updates to their news section since July. (link)

I suppose that can be taken two ways, either they are keeping their powder dry because they are making progress, or things are fizzling out: r/e website not updated - hopefully not. :)

Even the poor old Irish Traction Group could do with a revamped website but at least it's reasonably up to date - http://www.irishtractiongroup.com/

The ITG was getting going at just the time that the GSRPS was imploding and consequently ended up purchasing some of our equipment - G616 and G617 - which had been saved from the Irish Sugar factory at Thurles. G611 was purchased by the 'proprietor' at Dromod and G601 by yours truly as was the Wickham 712 (now at Downpatrick). I told the ITG lads back then that they were "wasting their time" and it gives me no pleasure to see that I have largely been proved correct. That said, they have at least ensure the continued survival of a lot of equipment that would otherwise have ended up in Hammond Lane. Win the Lotto and send them a donation!

The ITG was getting going at just the time that the GSRPS was imploding and consequently ended up purchasing some of our equipment - G616 and G617 - which had been saved from the Irish Sugar factory at Thurles. G611 was purchased by the 'proprietor' at Dromod and G601 by yours truly as was the Wickham 712 (now at Downpatrick). I told the ITG lads back then that they were "wasting their time" and it gives me no pleasure to see that I have largely been proved correct.

To be fair, the G class locos appear to have played a significant role as a relatively cheap to run loco in the development of the DCDR. So not a complete waste of time.

Nearly forgot this group at Belturbet station in the nominations for the best preservation group. Certainly would win an award for the most optimistic! It will never fly. :D

Looking at that video it seems a reasonable enough project if they're only doing the body, though operational condition would be much harder obviously! The RPSI managed to restore a brakevan a few years ago so I don't see why the body of this vehicle couldn't be done.

• Advertisement

Looking at that video it seems a reasonable enough project if they're only doing the body, though operational condition would be much harder obviously! The RPSI managed to restore a brakevan a few years ago so I don't see why the body of this vehicle couldn't be done.

You have misunderstood my post re: the G-class locos - I told the ITG boys they were wasting their time getting involved in preservation in Ireland not specifically in preserving the G-class. I would hardly have spent several thousand pounds of my own money on buying and transporting 601 the length and breadth of the country if I thought it was a waste of time.

In relation to the C&L wagon - no wheels, iron work, springs, axleboxes, buffers and what is left of the superstructure would not even make good firewood. There appears to be a makers plate on it and that would be worth saving. Do you have any idea of the cost of acquiring suitable Larch or other timber for the underframe? So even it were possible to rebuild it, you might as well start from scratch and bin what's left.

In relation to the C&L wagon - no wheels, iron work, springs, axleboxes, buffers and what is left of the superstructure would not even make good firewood. There appears to be a makers plate on it and that would be worth saving. Do you have any idea of the cost of acquiring suitable Larch or other timber for the underframe? So even it were possible to rebuild it, you might as well start from scratch and bin what's left.

I know what you mean, a case of granny's brush syndrome!
    I suppose it comes down to whats better, a decaying structure with orignal material or a sound-bodied one with new material.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Is that the same brush that trigger had in only fools and horses.;)

It appears the Irish Heritage Railway Group are up to the same trick as our dear friends in save the rail. We're in top secret negotiations at present and cant back up any of our ridiculous claims because we're talking through our h**e.:D

I personally would like to see the ITG make some headway, as a person with an interest in diesel traction. I always get the impression that IE aren't too keen on them though; a recent example being the case of blocking 141s from running a farewell tour for some unknown reason (suspected to be to keep the RPSI happy as they ran one first).

Also, they were given the goods shed at Carrick on Suir while the RPSI are possibly getting the shed at Charleville now, stinks of favouritism to me. Would Charleville have been available at the time?

That's where a set up like the D&CDR wins out as they have their own line. That's why a positive outcome by the IHRG would be desirable, then with agreement with a group like for example - ITG, the ideal of a working heritage broad gauge line could become a realistic proposition. That is why I was enquiring if there was any info regarding their progress ? But as JD has pointed out, particularly from his own experience, there seems to be no end of potential pitfalls !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

That's where a set up like the D&CDR wins out as they have their own line. That's why a positive outcome by the IHRG would be desirable, then with agreement with a group like for example - ITG, the ideal of a working heritage broad gauge line could become a realistic proposition. That is why I was enquiring if there was any info regarding their progress ? But as JD has pointed out, particularly from his own experience, there seems to be no end of potential pitfalls !

Im sorry, but isn't there talk from irish rail about their line in south wexford being a possible candidate for a preserved railway? Maybe the IHRG are the secret company that plans to run it?

• Advertisement

DDigital wrote: »
    Im sorry, but isn't there talk from irish rail about their line in south wexford being a possible candidate for a preserved railway? Maybe the IHRG are the secret company that plans to run it?

The average heritage line in the uk is about 5 miles long, which is more than adequate for a set up which would be manned by volunteers. That's assuming a 'Bluebell' type operation ever gets off the ground this end of the country. From the limited info that IHRG have put out, I don't think the South Wexford is in their sights.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

Karsini wrote: »
    I personally would like to see the ITG make some headway, as a person with an interest in diesel traction. I always get the impression that IE aren't too keen on them though; a recent example being the case of blocking 141s from running a farewell tour for some unknown reason (suspected to be to keep the RPSI happy as they ran one first).

Also, they were given the goods shed at Carrick on Suir while the RPSI are possibly getting the shed at Charleville now, stinks of favouritism to me. Would Charleville have been available at the time?

wow didnt know that the 141 farewell wa sstopped by the rpsi.i think charville was still in use when the itg got carrick on suir but at that time carrick was at least a start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

The average heritage line in the uk is about 5 miles long, which is more than adequate for a set up which would be manned by volunteers. That's assuming a 'Bluebell' type operation ever gets off the ground this end of the country. From the limited info that IHRG have put out, I don't think the South Wexford is in their sights.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the matter, but if a heritage line is to be run successfully and averages 5 miles in length, then why have irish rail suggested that the closed line in wexford could be used as a heritage line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

med1 wrote: »
    wow didn't know that the 141 farewell wa sstopped by the rpsi.i think charville was still in use when the itg got carrick on suir but at that time carrick was at least a start
    Yes the 141 farewell ended out as a heritage train powered by an 071. :pac:

I guess the RPSI are just jealous that ITG have all the A & C classes. :p

When CIE were disposing of all the Metrovics RPSI had their head up their arse in steam, I guess they are kicking themselves now.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance on the matter, but if a heritage line is to be run successfully and averages 5 miles in length, then why have irish rail suggested that the closed line in wexford could be used as a heritage line?

TBH that suggestion by IR seems to be pie in the sky. The 'CRP on the Rosslare line' thread, about 9 pages back in this forum, doesn't refer to any hard information regarding this either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

this was blocked as 141s were not available from IE as they were withdrawn amid braking concerns, the tour ran with an 071 instead did it not? only 171 has been re-instated by IE since

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

From my own limied experience in dealing with heritage rail groups, the W&SVR have made great strides and their track has now reached the outskirts of Waterford city. Waterford City Council has given them a confirmed committment to bring the rails into the city along the Quay all the way down to the Quay Plaza.

Anytime I pass the ITG shed in Carrick when i'm on the train, the shed is closed. Is there any activity there at the weekends?

RPSI are the granddaddy of the preservation groups. I have found them to be a bit exclusivist and their favoured sttaus with the honchos in IE is a put of a put off as are white socks with sandals and the chicken dinners.

That sais, if I had a few bob, the W&SVR would be first in line. Call me biased but thats what happens when you're from Waterford.

I still think travel on the Waterford & Suir Valley Rly has to be one of the most boring runs available on a 'preserved' railway - there's only so much viewing of the river that one can take. By their own admission their average speed between Kilmeaden and Grace Dieu Junction (nr.the N25 bridge at Waterford) is a staggering 9mph and the round trip takes 40 minutes. I haven't travelled on the line since the extension opened but I imagine the poor industrial diesel locos are being flogged to death to keep to any sort of schedule. If the line is ever extended into Waterford they are going to have to provide new motive power, increase speeds etc. Not one for the enthusiast and I would like to know exactly who is behind the railway - just for my own information.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Partizan

I still think travel on the Waterford & Suir Valley Rly has to be one of the most boring runs available on a 'preserved' railway - there's only so much viewing of the river that one can take. By their own admission their average speed between Kilmeaden and Grace Dieu Junction (nr.the N25 bridge at Waterford) is a staggering 9mph and the round trip takes 40 minutes. I haven't travelled on the line since the extension opened but I imagine the poor industrial diesel locos are being flogged to death to keep to any sort of schedule. If the line is ever extended into Waterford they are going to have to provide new motive power, increase speeds etc. Not one for the enthusiast and I would like to know exactly who is behind the railway - just for my own information.

Thanks for the input there JD. Another reason why the W&SVR should get the finance needed. I think the extension into Waterford city will happen since the potential there from a tourist/commuter viewpoint is huge that Waterford City Council has given it 100% support. I dont know how much is needed to get the line running from Gracedieu Junction to the Mall not to mention getting new engines to facilitate greater speed but whatever is need it would be great investment.

I dont know who is behind the venture but I presume its some local businessmen, enthuasists. Last year planning permission was given to develop the old Foundry site and the developers were forced by An Bord Pleannala to facilitate access to the W&SVR through their site and onto the road adjacent the Bilberry halting site to carry the line into the city. Now that the development has been parked due to the economic downturn, it does not affect the W&SVR proposals one iota.

To use a well worn phrase, its full steam ahead.

maybe its just me but I fail to see the attraction of a narrow gauge railway without any historic mainline motive power or rolling stock.

This guy seems to be heavily involved in it however: http://irishrailwaymodelling.yuku.com/topic/815/t/WSVR-latest.html, may be a useful contact for some

Thanks for that Cookie Monster and I see that the timetable now shows a 53 minute round trip - not much margin for late running there or the whole schedule becomes a shambles.

this was blocked as 141s were not available from IE as they were withdrawn amid braking concerns, the tour ran with an 071 instead did it not? only 171 has been re-instated by IE since

They hadn't been withdrawn at the time, 146 and 171 were intended to run the tour. We know that Greg Ryan stopped them from running, they were even being prepped the day before to work the train but were only told around 4:30 that the 141s weren't being let out.

Just to clarify, I didn't say that the RPSI were responsible, just that it's hearsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

OP I think you should give it all to West on Track.:D

The ITG was set up in the late 1980s, I think there were still freight trains using Charleville yard back then. As for blocking 141s from the tour, I doubt very much the RPSI had a hand in it, they had already run a 141 tour the month before so I suspect it made little difference to them what was hauling it.
    maybe its just me but I fail to see the attraction of a narrow gauge railway without any historic mainline motive power or rolling stock.

This guy seems to be heavily involved in it however: http://irishrailwaymodelling.yuku.com/topic/815/t/WSVR-latest.html, may be a useful contact for some

Regarding WSVR being non-enthusiast, let's be honest in this country any venture soley aimed at enthusiasts wouldn't be viable. For the record I think this is a rather scenic trip (haven't been on the extension) and the extension to Waterford's quays will probably help create more public awareness. It's probably the type of attraction aimed at people holidaying the locality looking for something to do.

The general public is the main market, I doubt they care what type of loco it is although there is probably a preference for steam. Apparently the ITG had to give up A class mainline running because the insurance was too high and the passenger numbers where insufficient to support these trips. The A class is now running at Downpatrick but I suspect here most of this lines overheads are paid for by the running of steam trains for the general public, it seems unlikely if all Downpatrick had to offer was an A class that it could keep its head above the ground. Similarly the RPSI's main market is steam for the general public which is probably how they'll be able to pay for the insurance to run diesel trips; I doubt they could afford them without the steam revenue.

A past press release by the IHRG suggested they were looking for somewhere nearer to Dublin, which makes sense in attracting potential volunteers and visitors. I think that statement by IÉ about making the south Wexford a heritage line was just a token comment thrown in when they were announcing the closure, I doubt anything will come of it.

• Advertisement

A past press release by the IHRG suggested they were looking for somewhere nearer to Dublin, which makes sense in attracting potential volunteers and visitors. I think that statement by IÉ about making the south Wexford a heritage line was just a token comment thrown in when they were announcing the closure, I doubt anything will come of it.

I think the word that you are looking for is red herring - definition here: http://www.answers.com/topic/red-herring or muddy the waters - definition here: http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/45/messages/644.html :D

As regards the WSVR and the need to attract the general public; I couldn't agree more but it also must be remembered that based on the UK experience it is near nigh impossible to operate a preserved railway without large numbers of volunteers i.e. enthusiasts, and are you going to attract these without having authentic locomotives and rolling stock? My experiences of the WSVR are of not coming across any bona fide enthusiasts but lots of high vis vest wearing Boards servant types on a busman's holiday - there again I could be wrong. On the occasions when I've put pen to paper to the WSVR about certain aspects of their operations I have never received satisfactory answers. I raised the issue of high vis vests everywhere detracting from the overall ambience of the railway and pointed out that I had noticed many of the staff wearing runners instead of safety boots and suggested that this might be equally if not more important. Anyway I wish them no harm.

As regards the WSVR and the need to attract the general public; I couldn't agree more but it also must be remembered that based on the UK experience it is near nigh impossible to operate a preserved railway without large numbers of volunteers i.e. enthusiasts, and are you going to attract these without having authentic locomotives and rolling stock?

Good point. There obviously needs to be some volunteer aspect to such a venture to ensure it keeps going when the financial outlook is less attractive (not that its that attractive at the moment but where is). But a mix of volunteer/fás type staff seems acceptable. (If it was only volunteers would there be enough to keep going?) On the other hand one only has to look at the Tralee & Blennerville to see what happens when it is run purely on a commercial basis. That said volunteers wouldn't necessarily have to be hardcore enthusiast types, I get the impression some at WSVR are volunteers of the local community type rather than 'gricers' as such.

Regarding them having no steam, when the WSVR was first set up there was mention of them eventually getting a steam loco, but that seems to have died a death. Though I suppose steam locos can't exactly be found at your local car dealer! I suppose steam also brings with it added training costs, firemen, steam raisers, etc... but no doubt is a greater pull to Joe public than a small diesel loco. But once it's a steam engine 90% of visitors won't care if it's a genuine Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0T or a 0-4-0WT from a Cuban sugar plantation.

...........Regarding them having no steam, when the WSVR was first set up there was mention of them eventually getting a steam loco, but that seems to have died a death. Though I suppose steam locos can't exactly be found at your local car dealer! I suppose steam also brings with it added training costs, firemen, steam raisers, etc... but no doubt is a greater pull to Joe public than a small diesel loco. But once it's a steam engine 90% of visitors won't care if it's a genuine Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0T or a 0-4-0WT from a Cuban sugar plantation.

Regarding narrow gauge steam railways run by volunteers, it would seem then that both the Bushmills and Stradbally setups represent the real deal. Last time I was in Stradbally many moons ago, the line didn't seem that long, a few hundred yards into a kind of forest with a loop back to the terminus. Has it been lengthened since - does anybody know ???

The annual steam rally is well worth a visit, particularly for anyone who is interested in traction engines. The time I visited, there was a steam fairground organ in action as well. :D

Regarding narrow gauge steam railways run by volunteers, it would seem then that both the Bushmills and Stradbally setups represent the real deal. Last time I was in Stradbally many moons ago, the line didn't seem that long, a few hundred yards into a kind of forest with a loop back to the terminus. Has it been lengthened since - does anybody know ???

The annual steam rally is well worth a visit, particularly for anyone who is interested in traction engines. The time I visited, there was a steam fairground organ in action as well. :D

The set up at Stradbally was still like that last time I was down there. Although it's not an original rail route it's simple and effective and allows the public to experience a steam hauled train in the 21st century. Anytime I was there it was a bank holiday weekend and they seemed to be doing well in attracting passengers, mainly familys with young kids.

Haven't been to Bushmills but it looks like a well run set-up, I think it has least some commercial backing which explains why it has a decent running length/facilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

topnotch wrote: »
    Is that the same brush that trigger had in only fools and horses.;)

It appears the Irish Heritage Railway Group are up to the same trick as our dear friends in save the rail. We're in top secret negotiations at present and cant back up any of our ridiculous claims because we're talking through our h**e.:D

Hmmmm. And the mé féin group that you always followed teaboy/lever-puller,well what has that preserved or furthered......:rolleyes:

cbl593h wrote: »
    Hmmmm. And the mé féin group that you always followed teaboy/lever-puller,well what has that preserved or furthered......:rolleyes:

I don't believe it, a cryptic message and it wasn't from me. :D

The set up at Stradbally was still like that last time I was down there. Although it's not an original rail route it's simple and effective and allows the public to experience a steam hauled train in the 21st century. Anytime I was there it was a bank holiday weekend and they seemed to be doing well in attracting passengers, mainly familys with young kids.

Haven't been to Bushmills but it looks like a well run set-up, I think it has least some commercial backing which explains why it has a decent running length/facilities.

Stradbally operates on a handful of days throughout the year and is not a proper 'preserved' railway within in the meaning of the word. That said, those that operate and travel on it seem happy enough so leave them off but as for a Lotto donation. :pac:

Bushmills is very much a commercial operation and although their website indicates that they are a charity - The Giant's Causeway & Bushmills Railway is a not-for-profit organisation, limited by guarantee.Charity Reference No: XR 20821. http://giantscausewayrailway.webs.com/information.htm there was a property developer involved and I would love to hear from somebody who really knows the situation. This picture from the News section of their website showing the delivery of one of three (!) new carriages last July would indicate some serious money behind the project. The original promoter of the project was given the push some years ago. http://giantscausewayrailway.webs.com/newsupdated.htm

DSCF8422.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

cbl593h wrote: »

The only tea boys i know are you and that gimp from longford.:pac:

• Advertisement

Stradbally operates on a handful of days throughout the year and is not a proper 'preserved' railway within in the meaning of the word. That said, those that operate and travel on it seem happy enough so leave them off but as for a Lotto donation. :pac:

Bushmills is very much a commercial operation and although their website indicates that they are a charity - The Giant's Causeway & Bushmills Railway is a not-for-profit organisation, limited by guarantee.Charity Reference No: XR 20821. http://giantscausewayrailway.webs.com/information.htm there was a property developer involved and I would love to hear from somebody who really knows the situation. This picture from the News section of their website showing the delivery of one of three (!) new carriages last July would indicate some serious money behind the project. The original promoter of the project was given the push some years ago. http://giantscausewayrailway.webs.com/newsupdated.htm

Here's part of the story concerning the Bushmills set up. There may be more if you Google 'David Laing' - the gentleman that drove the project.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/1871786.stm

A more in depth piece on recent developments at Busmills here: http://uk.ask.com/wiki/The_Giant's_Causeway_and_Bushmills_Railway?qsrc=3044
    but what I want to know is why was David Laing shafted and who is running the show now? :confused:

and if you read this you get the idea that everything was not well with the project in 2004: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eqILvE7bIPgJ:www.moyle-council.org/uploads/minutes/SM%2520WHS%2520Masterplan%2520Tech%2520Iss%2520Papers%25201%2520June%25202004.doc+the+giants+causeway+and+bushmills+railway+company+directors&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

A more in depth piece on recent developments at Busmills here: http://uk.ask.com/wiki/The_Giant's_Causeway_and_Bushmills_Railway?qsrc=3044
    but what I want to know is why was David Laing shafted and who is running the show now? :confused:

and if you read this you get the idea that everything was not well with the project in 2004: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:eqILvE7bIPgJ:www.moyle-council.org/uploads/minutes/SM%2520WHS%2520Masterplan%2520Tech%2520Iss%2520Papers%25201%2520June%25202004.doc+the+giants+causeway+and+bushmills+railway+company+directors&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Your latter link mentions 'Ulster Bank' then 'change of directors' so financial problems possibly were the cause.

The following articles indicates that the GC&BRC is now part of a cluster of 4 railways, including Fintown, Cavan & Leitrim and DCDR. It would appear that new rolling stock is funded by grants, rather than commercial interest.

http://www.icban.com/portfoliodetails.asp?ProjectID=107
    http://www.antraen.com/news.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Partizan wrote: »
    RPSI are the granddaddy of the preservation groups. I have found them to be a bit exclusivist and their favoured sttaus with the honchos in IE is a put of a put off as are white socks with sandals and the chicken dinners.

No need to make such comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Edgar Craven

I have just mulled over all the comments posted on this thread.
    It would seem that some supporters from particular groups seem to dislike other groups.
    All involved with preservation of railways are doing their bit and well done to all.
    The RPSI seems to come in for a bit of stick, unfairly it seems to me.
    They run very successfull outings, and anyone who buys a ticket can travel. I don't think that they are exclusive in any way.
    Everyone can be well assured that if they are running trains on the national railway then they have spent the time, money, and effort to comply with the multitude of requirements needed.
    Their trains are available to all and everyone. They have a wealth of expertise among their ranks of volunteers but are constantly looking for new blood.
    They are around a long time and are fortunate that the revenue from running trains, is available to put back into preservation and compliance with regulation. But wealthy ... I don't think so.

do you work for them per chance?

• Advertisement

Actually No I don't work for the RPSI.
    I needed more space to continue my posting ..........
    So to continue... The ITG another great volunteer group who have preserved many Diesel engines are unfortunate in that they seem only to attract the "entuasiast" market, which would appear to be inadequate to financially support the ITG in running trains on the National Railway.
    But the efforts are not wasted when their engines are still running today, even if not where the ITG would ideally aspire to.
    All of the other preservation survive, like all volunteer organisations, by selling their offer to the public in order to earn the resources to continue their efforts.
    So nobody should slag off any particular group who give their time freely to preserve our heritage.

fair enough so. :)

Actually No I don't work for the RPSI.
    I needed more space to continue my posting ..........
    So to continue... The ITG another great volunteer group who have preserved many Diesel engines are unfortunate in that they seem only to attract the "entuasiast" market, which would appear to be inadequate to financially support the ITG in running trains on the National Railway.
    But the efforts are not wasted when their engines are still running today, even if not where the ITG would ideally aspire to.
    All of the other preservation survive, like all volunteer organisations, by selling their offer to the public in order to earn the resources to continue their efforts.
    So nobody should slag off any particular group who give their time freely to preserve our heritage.

Does this include the Cavan & Leitrim Railway? Strange new website here: www.cavanandleitrim.com

Does this include the Cavan & Leitrim Railway? Strange new website here: www.cavanandleitrim.com

Yes of course!
    They do their bit.
    Some might have ideas to do differently but it's the volunteers on the ground who keep it alive and available to those who want to visit and enjoy.

Yes of course!
    They do their bit.
    Some might have ideas to do differently but it's the volunteers on the ground who keep it alive and available to those who want to visit and enjoy.

Not to mention those who financed the original scheme, but then again you probably know all about that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement