Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Railway preservation groups, who's the best?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Edgar Craven

No to mention those who financed the original scheme, but then again you probably know all about that. :rolleyes:

Sure, some volunteers have time, others expertise, money, and some just want to help and are prepared to learn.
    It's all about choices .... each to his own in what he provides.

I speak about all volunteering activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sure, some volunteers have time, others expertise, money, and some just want to help and are prepared to learn.
    It's all about choices .... each to his own in what he provides.

I speak about all volunteering activity.

Good for you but, I'm afraid I will continue to slag off anybody I choose, whenever I'm provoked - it's better than the alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Does this include the Cavan & Leitrim Railway? Strange new website here: www.cavanandleitrim.com

Full steam ahead for the Cavan and Leitrim then - is it ? I note their website shows a nice shiny red tank engine ??? Is it theirs or on loan to them, I wonder ???

The shiny red tank engine is "Dromad" and it is no longer in running order and has been out of action for a number of years. The replacement loco "Nancy" was sent to England for rebuilding in 1998 shortly before I ended my involvement in the project. "Nancy" is 'apparently' near to completion but even by Irish standards 12 years is a long time for a rebuild - then again I wasn't there to finance it. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The shiny red tank engine is "Dromad" and it is no longer in running order and has been out of action for a number of years. The replacement loco "Nancy" was sent to England for rebuilding in 1998 shortly before I ended my involvement in the project. "Nancy" is 'apparently' near to completion but even by Irish standards 12 years is a long time for a rebuild - then again I wasn't there to finance it. :rolleyes:

Maybe as the Cavan & Leitrim is now under the umbrella of the cross-border heritage railway group, they will be in a position to ramp up their narrow gauge railway activities, or, would that be wishful thinking ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I saw 081 in Navan today, WOOHOO! I asked yerman at the level crossing what time they go by, he said they usually leave the mine at half 12 everyday. I'd pay E500 to get a go in a GM loco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭DDigital

I read this somewhere else today, didn't I?:rolleyes:

Guess the operators (I use the term lightly) of the Tralee/Blennerville Railway don't fit into this category. Take a look at these two You Tube videos shot a couple of months apart at their Blennerville depot towards the end of 2010. Spot the difference? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Spot the difference?

The lightsaber 14 secs into the second video?
    He must used it to trash the coach :eek:
    :pac:

There were four carriages in the first video. God only knows why it was decided to smash up two of them. I suppose they were of no (Irish) heritage value as they were imported from Bilbao. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Very sad, J Day, that despite apparently having some knowledge of some aspects of irish railway preservation history, you can't bring yourself to acknowledge the good done - by volunteers, remember - in even one organisation. I have travelled on most of them and as a visiting enthusiast found them ALL to be very welcoming and friendly - and far from arrogant. And none - even the RPSI - are exactly rolling in dosh.

Have you ever been involved with any of them? If so, are there sour grapes somewhere out there? But even if you haven't, your posts would seem unfairly negative given the hours their volunteers put in.

cmore123 wrote: »
    Have you ever been involved with any of them? If so, are there sour grapes somewhere out there? But even if you haven't, your posts would seem unfairly negative given the hours their volunteers put in.

a simple search of the forum would answer all that, without the need to drag up an old thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

He's a new poster, a little latitude would probably be appreciated.

But yes, old thread is old.

-Chris- wrote: »

a new poster who's just throwing digs in without any kind of backup or knowledge of the place...

-Chris- wrote: »

But yes, old thread is old.

In fairness the poster only had to look at the top of the page - post #106 - to see my involvement. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Fair 'nuff.

@cmore123 - please use the search function before posting, it may pre-answer your questions.
    Also, your posting style suggests to me that you may have a history on this forum or with these posters. If it turns out that you are using this profile to circumvent a ban, you will be banned permanently and without hesitation.

@JD & Cookie Monster - thanks for the patience and trust with regards to this. I was hoping I'd have a slightly longer posting history (i.e. more evidence) from cmore123 before addressing this issue, but unfortunately you've chosen to question it on-thread and forced my hand.
    Ah, well. Next time... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Theres a grand stretch of line bwtween athlone and mullingar that could be used By any of these groups , just need some weed killer , ,heck . send the weed spraying train up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Theres a grand stretch of line bwtween athlone and mullingar that could be used By any of these groups , just need some weed killer , ,heck . send the weed spraying train up there.

I think at this stage many of the track panels would need replacing and I doubt the ETS between Mullingar Moate is still servicaable.
    Also you would have to convince Irish Rail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭cbl593h

I think at this stage many of the track panels would need replacing and I doubt the ETS between Mullingar Moate is still servicaable.
    Also you would have to convince Irish Rail!

Travelled the line in 2001,pilotman aboard for ETS section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

Chris: my post was intended just as it is, with no agenda. I simply read what preceded it. Hope this clarifies.

cmore123 wrote: »
    Chris: my post was intended just as it is, with no agenda. I simply read what preceded it. Hope this clarifies.

Given that Chris quit the Boards nearly a year and a half ago I doubt he's interested in your reply to a zombie thread. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed. No need to drag up this old thread from the depths of time..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement