Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Important things for photography

• 25-10-2010 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    What you all think are the essential requirements for photography? Like the most important is your love for photography. next I think your understanding of camera. And so on. Will you help me in making out the points so that newbies can get help and everyone can learn each others points..
    Please give your views.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It's going to be different for each individual. To some it will be a job to others it may be a consuming obsession and the items of importance are going to vary accordingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I'd say a passion for photography.. any kind of recording device that will encode photographs (usually a camera) That's all that's actually required. I would make a note that eyesight is probably quite useful in such an endeavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Right now....? A Variable Neutral Density Filter. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

A Camera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like the way I can see a picture in my head the minute I see one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Willingness to learn and ability to forget your ego.

Photography is an act of creating a picture. And requires skills, knowledge and talent. And because you've decided to share your work, you will receive feedback, both wanted and unwanted. The most important is to realise that in most cases, the feedback is relevant only to the picture and is not meant against you as a person. (There could be some personal issues, but I am rather talking in general here.)

If you allow to hear the critique and feedback, you will progress much quicker. However you don't have to follow any of the advice or critique. Well, you should not follow all the advice and critique, to be more precise. Just try to sort the seeds from the garbage, thumbs, stars, medals, ribbons... ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A depth of wherewithall...after that then you're good to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Heebie wrote: »
    I'd say a passion for photography.. any kind of recording device that will encode photographs (usually a camera) That's all that's actually required. I would make a note that eyesight is probably quite useful in such an endeavour.

+1 on that first sentence: a willingness to go out there, a desire to capture what you want. Far more important then what make of camera and how much gear you have imho.

An outgoing personality is always helpful.

I enjoy taking photos as much as the next person. I plan to go out and photograph the same sunrise I photographed twice already, hoping the bad weather will add to the imagery somehow (it's a little expirement for myself, to see how the weather affects the image, I'm still learning).

I've been around Drogheda a hundred times. I'd love to photograph new things, like sporting events, fashion shows, gigs, etc. and although there are quite a few of them after happening recently in Drogheda, I was nowhere near them as I'd never just show up somewhere with a camera and a sense of entitlement to take photos, and i don't like to persecute people into letting me take photos of their event in a semi-official capacity (ie; with their explicit permission) so I am pretty much stuck with landscape photography or, should i buy a light tent and such, product photography (which are both lovely areas, but can be tiring when you want to try something new).

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that if i did attend any of the above events, my photographs would be crap anyway, as I've no experience of such events (I photographed at a Christian Conference a few weeks back, which was my first indoor event photographing people. It was across three days, and the photos did, in my opinion, get better overtime as I figured out different things and was able to preview the photos from the first day on my PC and such) but I'd still like to get out there and learn and such.

So I'd say, whilst it's not the most important thing, a good thing to have, is an idea of what you think you'd like to photograph, and also an optimistic and personable attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

ThOnda wrote: »
    Willingness to learn and ability to forget your ego.

Photography is an act of creating a picture. And requires skills, knowledge and talent. And because you've decided to share your work, you will receive feedback, both wanted and unwanted. The most important is to realise that in most cases, the feedback is relevant only to the picture and is not meant against you as a person. (There could be some personal issues, but I am rather talking in general here.)

If you allow to hear the critique and feedback, you will progress much quicker. However you don't have to follow any of the advice or critique. Well, you should not follow all the advice and critique, to be more precise. Just try to sort the seeds from the garbage, thumbs, stars, medals, ribbons... ;)

A HUGE EGO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

Time.

Regards,

John

Advertisement